Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Running Thread (was Running is stupid and it hurts)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Running Thread (was Running is stupid and it hurts)

Old 02-06-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Running Thread (was Running is stupid and it hurts)

2.5 months is plenty of time, most running training plans for a 5k only have you running 3-4 days a week. Just a warning, doing those races can be addictive. I have an entire closet of race shirts.

I have not done a Disney race. Been thinking about. But love the Rock and Roll series.
Old 08-19-19, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Much overdue thread bump! Honestly I really haven't ever been right since my last Half Marathon in November. One ache or muscle strain after another. Lately my plantar fasciitis has come back with a vengeance which REALLY sucks. I was limping around last week. However it's been calming down the past couple of days so maybe it's getting better.
I have kept up my normal pace of the past 2 years - 4 miles, 6 days a week. Mostly treadmill, especially in hot Vegas summertime. I have done 764 mi so far this year -- pretty close to 100 miles/mo. Will easily make 1000 miles for the year for the fourth year in a row. Haven't really missed any time (ran every day of a 7 day cruise -- and knocked out Stranger Things 3 at the same time). Today I did my first training run for this year's Half Marathon. Ran 6.5 miles around my neighborhood before it got too hot. Did fine and kept up a pretty steady pace. My race is three months from yesterday so I've got my work cut out for me. Still I think I can do it. Last two years I ran without stopping so I am giving myself permission to walk when I need to. Don't want to be a train wreck for months afterwards again in 2020.
This might very well be my last one. I like the Vegas Half, but it's hard on me and I'm getting older. We will see...
Old 08-19-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'm trying to run every day, even if it's just for a couple miles, but age, injuries, time, etc, etc, make it tougher and tougher. I mean, I don't make excuses, and I do make the attempt to get out and run, but when I do run, they're just not very good/productive runs due to age/injuries.
I'm pushing 50, and I can't seem to get back to my running peak which was during my early 40s.
Old 08-21-19, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is running and walking a mile or close to it in 12 minutes on a treadmill good enough?
Old 08-22-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Is running and walking a mile or close to it in 12 minutes on a treadmill good enough?
Good enough for what?

Are u just starting? Have you worked up to that? Are you training for something? Just doing for general fitness? R u doing just 1 mile @ 12m or is that a 5k, 10k, 15k, half or full marathon?

More context is needed.
Old 10-12-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/10/12/s...ntl/index.html

It doesn’t qualify for a World Record, but is an official time. A sub 2 hour marathon. Damn. Some were speculating that it wasn’t physically possible.

Yes, yes...he followed a pace car. And had like 30 running pacers. But he still had to literally run 4:35 mile pace (if my Texas education in math is correct) for 26 freaking miles.

Amazing.

And it gives hope that it can be done in a race and to count as a record.