The Running Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

The Running Thread

Old 02-04-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts
re: The Running Thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Thanks, just sent a request to join. Wish I would have known about that group last year when I decided by myself to try to hit that goal (mid November). As I mentioned above, I made it by the skin of my teeth. The good thing is it pushed my daily runs from 3.0 to 4.0 miles. Hitting 1000 shouldn't be nearly as hard this year (barring injury).
Those guys are fantastic! They do a great job of recognizing milestones. You can also buy a medal (reasonable price) if you want. I also grabbed a car magnet.
Old 02-04-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I joined the group, I just requested to join i mean.

Last year was the best, in number of miles, I ran 1200+ or something like that. I actually finished the year running 31 miles, yeah, there was an ultra run on 12/31 and I did a 6 hour just for fun.

This year I'm really behind. A lot of work, travel related work, got sick, got like 20 miles in January
But as soon as I get well I plan to start going strong.
Old 02-06-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I know I've mentioned before, but feel worth repeating;

Be sure and do a 100% dress rehearsal at least one of those long runs (10, 11 or 12 miles). By this I mean run in the exact outfit, including everything you plan to run race in. If you plan on using an armband or running belt, be sure and wear that. Practice how you are going to fuel/hydrate. Even use the playlist music you plan to use for race. Also do your exact stratagy (for example, start very slow, move to you regular long run pace, etc.). And yes, I'll say it, practice using a nasty old port-a-potty.

I've run in 8 half's and I still do stupid stuff that I should know better.

I can't tell you how t many times I've seen people drop out of races or need medical care because they wore a new pair of shorts that started cutting into them. Or wear new soaks and get sever blisters half way thru. Or decide to use gels for fuel for the first time and just throw it all up.

Hell last week on my 10 mile run, I wore my running belt as I always do. But I wore a new shirt and it road up and the running belt cut (and I don't mean chaff, I mean cut where I was bleeding a bit) at my waist. It still stings when I take a shower a week later!

I'm not making light of running 3-4 miles. But if something is slightly annoying, it's pretty easy to live with for 30 minutes. It's a different story when you have to put up with it for 2.5 hours.
We did 10 miles on Saturday morning. My regret was not putting body glide on my nipples! I've had this problem before (white shirt in a 5k; wasnt pretty at the end with bloody nipple spots).
We're actually running with extra water since our dog is running the practice runs with us so in the actual race we'll have less stuff to carry. We also have been practicing with eating 'shot blocks' to make sure they wont give me the runs.
I'm old and slow so i'm doing a run/walk thing of "run a mile/walk 2 minutes" now. My wife wants to start lessening or removing some of the earlier walk breaks. I like them mentally since it breaks up run for me.
Old 02-07-17, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
We did 10 miles on Saturday morning. My regret was not putting body glide on my nipples! I've had this problem before (white shirt in a 5k; wasnt pretty at the end with bloody nipple spots).
We're actually running with extra water since our dog is running the practice runs with us so in the actual race we'll have less stuff to carry. We also have been practicing with eating 'shot blocks' to make sure they wont give me the runs.
I'm old and slow so i'm doing a run/walk thing of "run a mile/walk 2 minutes" now. My wife wants to start lessening or removing some of the earlier walk breaks. I like them mentally since it breaks up run for me.
Nothing wrong with walking a bit. I sometimes run these races with a pace group. They will often walk thru every other water station. This gives a 45-90 sec break, makes sure everyone has a chance to get water, and is pretty easy to make up.

I'd almost consider removing later breaks rather than the early ones. It's easier to finish strong if you don't over do it early. But over do it early and it's really hard to recover. Least in my experience.
Old 02-07-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Nothing wrong with walking a bit. I sometimes run these races with a pace group. They will often walk thru every other water station. This gives a 45-90 sec break, makes sure everyone has a chance to get water, and is pretty easy to make up.

I'd almost consider removing later breaks rather than the early ones. It's easier to finish strong if you don't over do it early. But over do it early and it's really hard to recover. Least in my experience.
yeah i like the early walk breaks so i dont burn myself out. My wife says they knock her out of the zone. When she runs alone, she'll do 6 miles without walk breaks. I can do it during a race (we run an annual 6 miler) but i think i wouldnt be able to make it to 10 or 13 yet without the breaks
Old 02-08-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Nothing wrong whatsoever running intervals. I still use them and find them extremely advantageous. For halfs I "run a mile, walk a minute" or "run until a water stop, walk a minute". For Marathons, I use a 4:1 run/walk. Anything under a half is run straight through.

The most efficacious strategy is to discover what intervals/paces work for you, per distance. Unless you're an elite -- and I sure ain't -- you can't run a marathon the same way you run a half, or a half like you run a 5K, etc.

And never, ever, EVER wear new gear on race day. That's basically asking for an anal holocaust.
Old 02-13-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I think I have my first running related injury, plantar faciatus ;(

The area where my arch curves down to my heel bothered me a bit starting early last week. Just mild soreness. I still did three runs during week of 5, 6 and 5 miles ea. Friday I was in pain, but Saturday back to just being "tight". So I did my 9 mile long run yesterday. By mile 7 I was all but limping. This morning pretty bad early, but loosening up a bit.

Super annoyed. I've been run my best runs ever. Yes more mileage, but not a lot more.

My next half is in mid-march and I'm currently in as good of condition as I've been in heading into a race.

I think it might have been my shoes. I like the NB so much it all I've been wearing. But they off a lot less support than my Brooks did.

So annoyed

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-13-17 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-13-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry to hear P-Fash is no fun. Treat it before it gets worse! My buddy ran on hers with the mindset of "It only hurts when I'm not running, when I run I'm fine!!" and ended up in a boot for weeks. No bueno.
Old 02-20-17, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So total oddness with my injury.

After long run last Sunday, and pain, I took 2 days off. On Wednesday I did an easy 4 mile run (normally I run 5). The run was somewhere between a serious soreness to minor pain. But I was encouraged. However the next day I had sever pain. I mean barely able to walk. I popped Advil all day just to get thru. I had plans that night including walking to to a couple bars. I couldn't make it. Had to Uber around. I was planning on calling Dr first thing in AM (Friday).

Then next day (Friday) is was amazingly better! All week getting out of bed was the worse. But for some reason, it was significantly better. I didn't run. And continued w/Advil. I did stretches all day. Felt strong on Satuday, but was working on a project so no run, but did to a casual, 1.5 mile walk. Yesterday felt good so did long run 9.25 miles. I had maybe minor pain, but never broke form. Of course my concern was the next day, today.

Not bad feeling. Again took a bit of Advil and did a lot of stretching, but really don't feel bad. I plan on a 4 mile run (easy) tomorrow and ease back into my training routine.

Not sure what's going on. Everything I read seems like text book plantar factious. But seems to better quickly. Hopefully. I have signed up for race I'm training for in March, but need too soon.
Old 03-01-17, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Took a week off from running. Did 2 miles yesterday all in pain. In pain today. Went to Dr. X-rays negative. Classic plantar fasciitis

Given anti-inflammatory. Told no running for a week. Do stretches and ice daily. If feels better after week ok to try a short run and build up. If still painful, time for physical therapy.

But I have a friend that work at a spots med place. She will get me in ASAP and says they have great success getting people back out running quickly.
Old 03-01-17, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,863 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Wow, that sucks. I've had PF before and it's awful. I took an injection of steroids. It hurt like Hell but it did help.

On the personal front : I'm up to 225 miles in 2017. 1000 miles for the year is well within reach.
Old 03-02-17, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

So a bunch of my co-workers won't shut up about running/jogging....I myself only do HIIT 3 times a week and my sessions are about 15-20 mins.

I finally decided to see how well I would do if I went out for a run (haven't ran since I was in boot camp many moons ago).

I did almost 2 miles in 20 or so minutes - I would have gone on longer but I was honestly a bit freaked out by how far I had gone being it was the first time I ran in ages and didn't want to push it.

I did this for two reasons....first, because I constantly hear people talking about all the charity runs and genereal 5k's they do and it just got in my head to try it and second because I wanted to see how well HIIT transferred to long moderate cardio sessions - I was very pleased with the results.

Not sure I will make running a regular thing I just love doing HIIT so much more.
Old 03-02-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been dealing with a knee issue myself. It may be due to upping my mileage too quickly.

A last week, after a long run my knee felt a bit stiff that night and when I woke up the next morning it was sore when bending most of the day. I took some ibuprofen and rested that day and it felt fine the next day so I went for a walk. About 5 miles in I had some tightness in my hamstring in that leg, and my knee felt a bit stiff later that night so I iced it. It felt the tiniest bit sore the next day but otherwise fine.

So after another day of rest I went for a 2 mile run to see how it would hold up and that was the first time I noticed anything with my knee when I was actually running, just a few twinges after a mile or so, no real pain or anything. Knee felt a bit sore afterwards so I iced it again, and it was a tiny bit sore the following morning as well, mostly just going down stairs. I haven't ran or done much walking the last couple of days and my knee feels fine.

I'm going to take the rest of the week off, maybe do some are aerobics that don't stress the knees too much. I'm also going to look into some leg strengthening exercises that are said to help prevent knee pain. Then I'll try easing back in with some walking and short distance running.
Old 03-04-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Rehab on my PF absolutely kicked my ass. Had me in tears at one point. But...after, just walking around I almost forgot I had any issue. And this morning, some fairly minor soreness, but nothing like previous weeks. I'll do some exercising she gave me. And wait the week (she agreed w/Dr on that). But after just one session, I feel like I'm like 75% better.

I wanted to get in to se her next week, but have meetings. I might try one more session before trying to run.
Old 03-06-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My half marathon is next sunday. ran 9.5 miles last saturday. I think the longest run i've done has been 11.5 miles. I'm pretty sure i'll be able to complete the half even if it is with walking the last 3 miles.
The annoying thing is they altered the race path and now a bunch of it is in my neighborhood so i'll be seeing all the same crap i usually see when i run, haha.
Old 03-07-17, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My latest knee issue got me thinking maybe it was time to get new shoes and I remembered I snapped a pic of some Nike's my Sam's Club got in a couple of weeks ago so I could research them later. Turns out they were Zoom Vomero 11's. A premium high cushion, neutral shoe that lots of reviewers said helped them with sore feet and/or joint pain. MSRP was $140. They are last year's model, but still the cheapest I could find them online was a little over $80. Sam's was selling them for $40 so I went over, tried them out and grabbed a pair.
Old 03-10-17, 12:47 PM

Rounded the Quarter Pole yesterday :

Old 03-14-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I survived the half marathon on sunday. We were aiming for a nice, slow 3:15 but ended up with around 3:04. Might have been able to make in under 3 if I didnt have to stop to piss twice, lol. My wife was about to kill me.
I'm still sore today.
Old 03-14-17, 12:20 PM

Bravo! Good job. Was that your first one?

I have a hard time waiting for my half-marathon in November. There's another one in April, but there's not enough time for me to train for that one.
Old 03-14-17, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's another one in April, but there's not enough time for me to train for that one.
Maybe. What's your longest distance?
Old 03-14-17, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Maybe. What's your longest distance?
6 miles. I run 4 miles daily five times a week and 5 to 6 miles once a week
Old 03-14-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Running six days a week? Here comes the completely unsolicited advice, but it sounds like you're over-training. You need to give your body time to heal between runs, or maybe cross-train on those days. Not worth risking an injury.

That said, depending on when that half marathon is in April, you could easily ramp up to it with a staggered schedule like this:

3/18 - 7 miles
3/25 - 5 miles
4/01 - 9 miles
4/08 - 5 miles
4/15 - 11 miles
4/22 - 5 miles
4/29 - 13 miles

Of course, that works if the half is later in the month. You could adjust that accordingly if you feel comfortable with ramping up the miles every other week.
Old 03-15-17, 08:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Forgot to post, but did the Michelob Ultra Challenge at Gasparilla. Pretty tough having to run back to back both days. Plus, it was the biggest event I have done. It took over 3 minutes just to cross the start line because there were so many people and it took 2-3 miles to spread out enough to really get to your run pace.

Also, got a nasty blood blister on my toe. Looks like I will keep the toenail, so that's a positive!
Old 03-15-17, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Bravo! Good job. Was that your first one?

I have a hard time waiting for my half-marathon in November. There's another one in April, but there's not enough time for me to train for that one.
thanks! yeah it was my first.
I need to get some new running shoes. I've been wearing the same pair of Brooks for running for the last 5 years or so
Old 03-15-17, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
thanks! yeah it was my first.
I need to get some new running shoes. I've been wearing the same pair of Brooks for running for the last 5 years or so
Good God, get thee to Running Warehouse! Just got a pair of Hoka Infinites, with day shipping, for $48...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.