DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Moving to Central CA...San Luis Obispo or Beach towns? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/572200-moving-central-ca-san-luis-obispo-beach-towns.html)

Fooman 04-11-10 09:04 PM

Moving to Central CA...San Luis Obispo or Beach towns?

My girlfriend and I are moving from Manhattan to central CA for a year.

Having a hard time deciding which city to live in since there are a few within 25 minutes from each other. So far, I've narrowed it down to San Luis Obispo and considering the beach towns like Morro Bay, Avila Beach and Pismo Beach.

Unless my girlfriend can find a job there, we'll be on a tight budget of $60k/year. Was wondering if anyone here had any opinion on any of the cities I mentioned and any specific areas of the towns/cities that I should look at.

If it helps, we're in our early 30s and both have professional jobs. The idea of living in a beach town sounds inviting after living in busy Manhattan for 2 yrs. It maybe too quiet though. I've read that San Luis Obispo is a college town which suggests to me that the city may feel more lively (which I like), but on the other hand, I don't want to be anywhere near loud college parties, etc.

foxdvd 04-11-10 09:21 PM

Re: Moving to Central CA...San Luis Obispo or Beach towns?

why would your girlfriend have a hard time finding a job, can't she take a job at 10-14 bucks an hour until a job in her field opens up??? 20-30 thousand a year extra is not something to sneeze at....

cungar 04-11-10 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 10099929)
why would your girlfriend have a hard time finding a job, can't she take a job at 10-14 bucks an hour until a job in her field opens up??? 20-30 thousand a year extra is not something to sneeze at....

It is in California. Especially in the central coast where jobs are scarce and living expenses are high.

Fooman 04-11-10 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 10099945)
It is in California. Especially in the central coast where jobs are scarce and living expenses are high.

Yeah, she has looked and so far, no luck. I'm a resident physician currently and I'm moving for a 1 yr fellowship. My girlfriend currently works as a senior auditor for the insurance/hospital business and unfortunately, there's not much of that going on over there, (at least no jobs of that sort posted) in the area.

damn_skippy 04-12-10 12:12 AM

Pismo or SLO . I been to Morro Bay a couple of times and its a nice little town but its a little to small for me. Pismo is nice and has nearby towns so it feels bigger but If it were me I would live in SLO. Also when your out there make sure to stop by Jocko's in Nipomo By far one of the best steaks you will ever have. The place looks like a pile but you wont be disappointed.

My Other Self 04-12-10 12:14 AM

SLO is too small and college-oriented. I personally wouldn't be able to live there. And your jobs are going to be next to impossible to find.

foxdvd 04-12-10 12:27 AM

she can not even find a job at McDonalds? I highly doubt that...

PopcornTreeCt 04-12-10 12:29 AM

I went out on vacation to both Pismo and SLO. Loved both towns, very quiet small town atmosphere. I would love to live in either town.

msdmoney 04-12-10 03:40 AM

I went to school at Cal Poly and I would love to move back to SLO, unfortunately there just isn't a big job market there.

When I was going to school there in the early 2000's there were too many students for too few rentals. Rents were going up every year along with housing, but of course California was in a huge housing bubble. When I talked to one of my former professors a couple months ago, he said that housing values and rents were going down, because Cal Poly just built a substantial amount of on campus housing. More students are living on campus, less off campus and less parents buying homes for the students to live in. I would imagine that rents and housing prices are still fairly high compared to the wages in the area though. The bubble will take some time to correct.

If it were me I would prefer to live in SLO, but there is a lot of nostalgia for me there. There is a fun college nightlife in the downtown area since you guys are still young. SLO is a small town, but not as small as the other surrounding beach cities. The transistion may be easier going from Manhattan to SLO. If you don't want to live in the middle of college party central, just don't live in the area directly adjacent to the college, basically not anywhere on the north side of town (north of the 101 and the downtown area)

Pismo is really nice, but more of a touristy town IMO, and I think it would still be fairly expensive. I think Morro Bay would be more affordable, but I didn't spend a ton of time in the actual town.