Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do people from Chicago dislike thin crust pizza as much as I dislike thick crust ?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Do people from Chicago dislike thin crust pizza as much as I dislike thick crust ?

Old 04-09-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wondered that. Thick crust pizza just tastes like a huge loaf of bread to me. And I have had it in Chicago, so I assume it was a good one.

Do people who grew up eating it not like New York Style pizza?
Old 04-09-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Do people from Chicago dislike thin crust pizza as much as I dislike thick crust

Chicago-style pizza isn't pizza. It's a casserole. Once you think of it like that, it can be delicious.
Old 04-09-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Do people from Chicago dislike thin crust pizza as much as I dislike thick crust

I grew up on the East Coast enjoying thin crust. My wife's a native New Yorker and digs the "big as a dinner plate, fold it in half, Tony in the credit sequence of 'Saturday Night Fever' " pie. I had thick crust at Uno's about twenty years ago and found it basically disgusting. However, the thick crust available around my house here in the Chicago 'burbs can be really, really good. Use knife and fork and eat one or two pieces only. My kids only like thick crust, the savages.
Old 04-09-10, 10:06 AM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I like them both but very much prefer thick crust. I made a great stuffed pizza yesterday and a thick crust I haven't tried yet.
Old 04-09-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like both but like has been said, Chicago style is NOT pizza.
Old 04-09-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Agreed!

DeputyDave - Do you happen to go to BASIC in SD at all? They modeled that place (and the pizza) after a place called BAR in New Haven, CT. I ate there when I was out there last year, and it's pretty damn close. Definitely the best pizza I've had west of the northeast.
Old 04-09-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been in the Chicago area my whole life and cannot stand thick crust pizza.
Old 04-09-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've lived in Chicago my whole life, and I say I've known far more people that prefer thin crust to thick. I take it anyway it comes, but a Gino's East pan pizza is about the closest thing to heaven on this planet.
Old 04-09-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Everytime I watch one of those "New York vs. Chicago" pizza shows on the Food Network or wherever, they always parade out a bunch of wise-mouthed New Yorkers shouting at the camera, "That's not a pizza, it's too thick and bready!". Then, without exception, they immediately take their New York pizza and FOLD IT IN HALF before taking a bite. The complete irony, of course, is that they essentially transform their slice into the exact same configuration as a thick crust Chicago pizza.

And that is why Chicago style pizza will always win in my mind. Simple logic dictates it.
Old 04-09-10, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Everytime I watch one of those "New York vs. Chicago" pizza shows on the Food Network or wherever, they always parade out a bunch of wise-mouthed New Yorkers shouting at the camera, "That's not a pizza, it's too thick and bready!". Then, without exception, they immediately take their New York pizza and FOLD IT IN HALF before taking a bite. The complete irony, of course, is that they essentially transform their slice into the exact same configuration as a thick crust Chicago pizza.

And that is why Chicago style pizza will always win in my mind. Simple logic dictates it.
This.

I've honestly never been to New York or anywhere on the East Coast, but I'll still stand firm and say that there can't be much improvement over Palermo's on 95th, Gino's East, and Giordano's.
Old 04-09-10, 10:54 AM

I disagree, folding a thin crust in half in now way equates the amount of crust on a thick crust. No way, not even close.
Old 04-09-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I prefer thin. I like thick crust too though, but I'm not a fan of the brick of cheese they put on the Chicago style from Giordanos.
Old 04-09-10, 11:13 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
I prefer thin. I like thick crust too though, but I'm not a fan of the brick of cheese they put on the Chicago style from Giordanos.
That's stuffed a whole different category. Thick s the shit end of story!
Old 04-09-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I prefer thin to medium-thick crust.

The pizza in Chicago is like a heap of lasagna thrown atop a thin slice of french bread.
Old 04-09-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Um, what?
Old 04-09-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 212 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan View Post
I always wondered that. Thick crust pizza just tastes like a huge loaf of bread to me. And I have had it in Chicago, so I assume it was a good one.

Do people who grew up eating it not like New York Style pizza?
Then you didn't have a good, official Chicago pizza. Chicago pizza is deep dish, NOT thick crust.

It's almost like a pie, where you have a thin crust at the bottom, then you have gobs of meats, vegetables, cheeses and maybe some sauce, topped with another thin layer of crust which is then topped with some sauce and maybe more cheese. And it usually takes at least 45 minutes to be ready. There's really not that much crust in a Chicago pizza.

[spoilered for size]
Spoiler:

Last edited by slop101; 04-09-10 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-09-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm regretting that I visited this thread before lunch.
Old 04-09-10, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Then you didn't have a good, official Chicago pizza. Chicago pizza is deep dish, NOT thick crust.

It's almost like a pie, where you have a thin crust at the bottom, then you have gobs of meats, vegetables, cheeses and maybe some sauce, topped with another thin layer of crust which is then topped with some sauce and maybe more cheese. And it usually takes at least 45 minutes to be ready. There's really not that much crust in a Chicago pizza.

[spoilered for size]
Spoiler:

Ok, I guess I meant "Deep Dish" - I will admit, those look good, but it reminds me more of lasagna or something.
Old 04-09-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm like Hiro. Grew up on the east coast (well Northeast) but have lived in Chicago about 18 years or so. This is not pizza here and to add in another argument ... New Haven pizza is better than NY

At this time right now I like Coal Fire Pizza the best which is located by Twisted Spoke near Matchbox (which the owner, I believe, was a past bartender there).
Old 04-09-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 394 Likes on 190 Posts

Have you ever visited Chicago during the winter? BRRRRRRRR!

Chicago doesn't like thin crust pizza because it can't double as insulation in a pinch.
Old 04-09-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Chicago-style pizza isn't pizza. It's a casserole. Once you think of it like that, it can be delicious.
Agreed.
Old 04-09-10, 12:34 PM
ams

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
There's really not that much crust in a Chicago pizza.

It looks to me like the crust on that pie is thicker than two NY slices on top of each other. Two inches of bread under that pie...
Old 04-09-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like thin and thick crust but do not like Chicago style deep dish.
Old 04-09-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ That pizza pictured above has way more crust than I've ever seen. The thing about "Chicago" pizza that non-locals don't seem to realize is that every single pizza joint has their own configuration. One place's deep dish may have an almost thin crust bottom, like Gino's, while another may be several times thicker. To lump them all together is silly. I'm sure there are plenty of pizza joints in NYC that have a non-traditional style.
Old 04-09-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I think what most people consider "Chicago style" is what I grew up (in Chicago) thinking of as "stuffed pizza". We'd get that once in a great while, but our typical pizza was a thinner crust from the corner joint. Now our thin was definitely different (and better IMO) than the thin crust I had in NY. This is what I consider Pizza. It is typically cut in squares and not triangles like NY. I think joints like Pizzeria Uno (which suck) propagate this "Chicago style" thing. Giordano's, Gino's and Lou Malnati's still seem to cater to the stuffed type pizza, but pretty much any standard pizza place around here is thin or pan crust in my experience.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.