Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Fitness Talk: Bulking up and losing stomach fat?

Old 04-02-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fitness Talk: Bulking up and losing stomach fat?

So after eight years of being out of shape, I joined a gym and have been going every other day for a week now. My diet has completely changed from eating junk food all the time to healthier meals. I wanna Bulk up to a decent size but no body building. I'm 145 lbs. My one problem area is the stomach fat. Can I Bulk up and lose the stomach fat at the same time? Here is what I had today:

6 AM: two pieces wheat Toast no butter and two eggs scrambled
8 AM: Oatmeal and Multivitamin 1/3
10 AM: Protein shake
12 pm: Multi vitamin 2/3, Salmon, white rice, carrots

4 pm: Protein Bar
6:30 pm: Multivitamin 3/3, Spaghetti, mandarin oranges, and granola bar
Snacking throughout the day: Baked potato chips, Rice cakes

Is that too much food? I keep hearing Bulking up you need to eat six to eight meals a day but If I'm trying to lose the stomach fat should i cut back? I have a weight gainer supplement that was recommended to build muscle but I'm afraid it may make me fatter in the wrong places. Anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-02-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Fitness Talk: Bulking up and losing stomach fat?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...010-goals.html
Old 04-02-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^That. Good luck!
Old 04-02-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's difficult to bulk up and cut fat at the same time. First off, stop with the toast. Have eggs and chicken sausage with a fruit for breakfast.

All you're eating is grains. That will do nothing for you.

Lean meats, vegetables, fruits, nuts, eggs. This should be the foundation of your diet. Use cheese sparingly. Stop eating chips.
Old 04-02-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why 3 multivitamins a day?

White rice, pasta, chips, rice cakes - all not gonna help at all.
Old 04-02-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Few things... Thats not enough food to bulk up. Also, its the wrong food to bulk up on. You cant serve 2 masters. Bulking up and losing fat (you're not going to be able to spot reduce) are 2 separate goals. Pick one and do it. My advice would be to take 3 months to put on a good amount of muscle mass (thing is, thats also going to include putting on fat as well). Then you can take that fat off. Fact is, its harder to put on muscle than cut fat physiologically. Psychologically its hard the other way, not quite so fun to eat clean and exercise properly while not losing muscle.
Old 04-02-10, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

just do what this guy did?

In otherwords I dunno
Old 04-03-10, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll agree with the guy who said you have to pick one or the other. I suggest losing the weight and then adding muscle mass.

Cardio my friend, cardio. Run, ride a bike, play sports.
Old 04-03-10, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a trainer recommending adding muscle then worry about the fat. I'd rather lose the fat first.
Old 04-03-10, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
Why 3 multivitamins a day?

It said on the bottle to take 3 a day. Should I only be taking one?
Old 04-03-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

On any manufacturer's product, they want you to use the max so you can buy more of it. MV's are mostly a waste of money, IMO. The protein supplements are great, but you MUST have a proper cardio workout program to benefit from it or it will negate your weight loss.

I'd say the first month, don't do ANY supplements or MV's and just let your body squeeze the nutrients out of what you eat. What it can't get from your intake...it will take from your body. And that's what you want right now.
Old 04-03-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
So after eight years of being out of shape, I joined a gym and have been going every other day for a week now. My diet has completely changed from eating junk food all the time to healthier meals. I wanna Bulk up to a decent size but no body building. I'm 145 lbs. My one problem area is the stomach fat. Can I Bulk up and lose the stomach fat at the same time? Here is what I had today:

Thanks in advance
By no body building, do you mean no weight lifting?
It seems like diet and exercise [cardio and crunches] would help you lose the fat, but weight work on your shoulders, chest and bi/triceps would help you burn more calories and improve your appearance.

As far as the diet goes, try some QUINOA in place of that rice, and try to cut the bread and pasta [which I know is hard] and get some beans in there.
Old 04-03-10, 12:05 PM

Bulk, bulk, bulk, then cut. I was so skinny I needed 2 years of bulking ;-)

But it all worked out for me. The comments and compliments after my cut showed me I probably should have done all of this 10 years ago, but I'm still happy.
Old 04-03-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's with the white rice?
Old 04-03-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it was leftovers from a restaurant went to. Would've gotten Brown Rice but they didn't have that option on the menu. I do have brown rice which I will use from now on.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Went to the health food store and bought a bunch of food the bus recommended.

And I'm gonna work on Bulking up and focus on cutting later.

Last edited by mhg83; 04-03-10 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-03-10, 12:42 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
I had a trainer recommending adding muscle then worry about the fat. I'd rather lose the fat first.
The more muscle mass you have, the more fat you burn.
Old 04-03-10, 12:52 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles

I second what The Bus said, ditch the toast, now! Breads are your enemy. Get rid of snacking on potato chips and sub them with nuts and berries. Also, limit the amount of spaghetti in the evening (unless you are working out at night, the less carbs the better).

At my fattest I was 170 after only a year of working out I'm down to 140 (jogging 3 miles a day and eating healthier). It wasn't until I stopped eating those crappy Eggo waffles and/or toast (that I had eaten religiously for years) in the morning for breakfast that I started to notice a more toned and leaner me. It's been a year since I started running 4 times a week, I eliminated completely the bullshit fast food lunches and substituted them with store bought chicken and salads, fruits and nuts. So, not only am I losing weight, I'm also saving a lot more money, for a fast food lunch I averaged $8 a meal per day, "brown bagging it" I'm down to under $2 a day.

When I first started really watching what I was eating, I thought to myself F-this, it's too much work. Then I started seeing the results... not only did I look better, I started to physically feel better too. It's very much a lifestyle change that you have to be committed to. Now that I'm down to my goal weight I pretty much eat what I want, knowing that as long as I don't abuse the crappy foods I can maintain 140 no problem.

Remember results don't happen overnight but they do happen sooner than you might think. Good luck with your goals!
Old 04-03-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just because you start lifting a little weight doesn't mean you're going to transform into a body builder. lol
Old 04-03-10, 03:39 PM
Banned

Why is everyone saying to avoid carbs? You guys do know there is a difference between complex and simple carbs, right? Complex carbs you do want to eat. In fact, complex carbs are supposed to be your biggest food group. Whole wheat, oatmeal, rice (brown is better than white), etc are complex carbs you want to be eating, not avoiding.
Old 04-03-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm kinda sorta in the same boat as mhg83, but I don't really have any fat on me - I'm about 5'10", 155, and have a very athletic and pretty toned physique, I just want to add 10-15 pounds, bulk up a bit...should I be eating fewer carbs? I eat a ton of them...big bowl of oatmeal with raisins in the morning, and usually 3-4 slices of 100% whole wheat, no HFCS bread during the day. And then often pasta (just the regular Creamette brand or whatever) or rice (brown).

I'm also drinking plenty of milk, eating a lot of PB and eggs, and probably 8 ounces or so of chicken or leaner beef a day.

What amounts should I be eating? Also try to drink a ton of water, and all the veggies and fruits possible.
Old 04-03-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
The more muscle mass you have, the more fat you burn.
I agree but then I would have to eat more and work out more than I do now so all the calories don't turn into fat. Hard balancing act. I've been slowly gaining weight and toning so my fat percentage must be going down.
Old 04-03-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
I'm kinda sorta in the same boat as mhg83, but I don't really have any fat on me - I'm about 5'10", 155, and have a very athletic and pretty toned physique, I just want to add 10-15 pounds, bulk up a bit...should I be eating fewer carbs? I eat a ton of them...big bowl of oatmeal with raisins in the morning, and usually 3-4 slices of 100% whole wheat, no HFCS bread during the day. And then often pasta (just the regular Creamette brand or whatever) or rice (brown).

I'm also drinking plenty of milk, eating a lot of PB and eggs, and probably 8 ounces or so of chicken or leaner beef a day.

What amounts should I be eating? Also try to drink a ton of water, and all the veggies and fruits possible.
For as lean as you are, your food choices don't really matter, but I would recommend that you try to get 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day and add extra fat into your diet. Add in some heavy lifting and you should be good. If your not taking fishoil, I would recommend that as well.
Old 04-04-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post

6 AM: two pieces wheat Toast no butter and two eggs scrambled
8 AM: Oatmeal and Multivitamin 1/3
10 AM: Protein shake
12 pm: Multi vitamin 2/3, Salmon, white rice, carrots

4 pm: Protein Bar
6:30 pm: Multivitamin 3/3, Spaghetti, mandarin oranges, and granola bar
Snacking throughout the day: Baked potato chips, Rice cakes

Is that too much food? I keep hearing Bulking up you need to eat six to eight meals a day but If I'm trying to lose the stomach fat should i cut back? I have a weight gainer supplement that was recommended to build muscle but I'm afraid it may make me fatter in the wrong places. Anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
It all comes down to finding out your maintenance calories (just search online, there's sites where you can enter your age/weight, etc), and than deciding whether to eat more or less. For the first few months just eating better and working out you'll notice a difference. But once your body starts to get used to it you might have to change a few things (eat more, different exercises, etc) At your weight I really don't think you need any supplements, just eat real food. Get a notepad and write down calories, protein, fat, carbs for everything you eat. Keep track for a bit and get back to us with your usual daily numbers. Your body will tell you what you should do - if your gaining too much fat eat less, not getting stronger - more protein and lift harder. etc

Nothing wrong with toast (or cheese) btw as long as it fits into your calories, I have those things almost daily. Food makes us happy, so whether your bulking or trying to lean out, you've got to make it work for you. I'd recommend a sandwich for lunch, and chicken, salad for dinner. If you must snack - go for wheat thins or nuts, etc. Protein bars usually have a fair amount of sugar so they're not the best - I usually just have a half at a time.

I weighed 150 two yrs ago, I started working out and I was 165 a yr later, now I'm at 180... and cutting back to about 170 (I gained some fat, lol). So, it does take time... you really can't expect more than 1-1.5 lbs of muscle a month, and that's going at it pretty hard. I gained probably 15-17 lbs of muscle in two yrs (and I wasn't that consistent really). Progress is measured in wks and months, not days. Don't get obsessed with the scale and weigh yourself more than once a wk.

Last edited by Artman; 04-04-10 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-04-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
I second what The Bus said, ditch the toast, now! Breads are your enemy.
Not true. I had a couple pieces of toast and a sandwich almost every day the last few yrs. I recently dropped the toast as I'm lowering my calories, but I don't think I could stand not having a sandwich. And I'm losing weight just fine - it's all about the overall calories.
Old 04-04-10, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just don't go nuts on the carbs.

And do ab exercises. I know people keep saying that you can't spot train to lose fat, which is true, but most people have very weak abs, which can affect appearance.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.