Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Did i do the right thing?
Yes... i would have told HR as well.
85.71%
Maybe you should have waited
14.29%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Did i do the right thing?

Old 04-02-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did i do the right thing?

here's the story:

Attended an outing with a bunch of co workers for someone leaving the company. At the bar, we are drinking and everyone is kind already reaching the limit. So one guy who i dont even work with directly is telling us about his story of his wife doing god knows what. But i agreed with him because he's tanked and starting to talk stupid. So he comes closer to me and warns me that if i agree with him he will throw a drink in my face... so i say "no bro.. i agree with you... i have the same situation.. "... so then he comes to me again, "i swear if you agree with me again, i will throw this beer in your face"... i say "ok i wont agree but calm down... you might need to relax there"... so then he throws the freaking beer in my face.... im in a state of shock... i dont even know the guy but he works in my company... my other co workers are in shock too... stunned that he did that. But i (knowing of what might happen if i retaliate) didnt do anything... i know if i did get my hands on him, my arms would be too heavy to stop kicking his shit in... he got his jacket and left... my boss was there and was proud that i didnt do anything but i was so jacked that i wanted to kick anyones ass....i went home furious but slept it off... today i wanted to see if he came in so maybe he just apologizes and thats it... so far nothing... plus im not one to start problems with anyone (not to mention, im 1 of 20 minorities in this place..so i dont want to be the trouble maker)... i went ahead and told my HR dept about it. They were happy i didnt do anything and that i know hold the leverage in the whole argument...

Did i do the right thing telling HR or should i have waited to hear from the guy?... to be honest, the guy is kind of a dick but he has a right to make a living...
Old 04-02-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Did i do the right thing?

He does not have the right to assault his co-workers, no matter how drunk he is.
Old 04-02-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You definitely want it on record.
Old 04-02-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you did exactly the right thing. I've been in the same situation and I also HEY, WHAT THE FUCK????
Old 04-02-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

you did the right thing. it's not like it was just you and him, there were a bunch of people there.
Old 04-02-10, 10:21 AM
Banned

Yes, you did and you probably did a favor to everyone when they get rid of the company's douchebag.
Old 04-02-10, 10:25 AM

I will wait until Dr. Mabuse posts his advice to vote.
Old 04-02-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

HR spoke to him and he wants to meet me downstairs.... will let you guys know what he says...
Old 04-02-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For the love of Pete. Don't agree with anything he says.
Old 04-02-10, 10:37 AM

It would hilarious if he was waiting downstairs with a beer in his hand, and the HR guy was standing next to him with the same.
Old 04-02-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, you did. I reported someone to HR once. You want that shit on record.
Old 04-02-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
HR spoke to him and he wants to meet me downstairs.... will let you guys know what he says...
I would not meet him without having an HR rep present.
Old 04-02-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was is a work-sanctioned outing? Otherwise I'm not seeing how it's an HR issue just because you both work in the same location. And you both were plowed.
Old 04-02-10, 10:44 AM

What ethnicity are you? You say you're one of only about twenty minorities that work there? I think you should keep your mouth shut and just be happy to have a job.

OMG, I'm totally joking!! Certainly don't agree with anything I say Really, I do hope you know I'm joking!

I think you definitely did the right thing by keeping your cool. Hopefully he'll apologize for what he did, if he can even remember. I think you actually set a really good example by showing how well you kept your cool. Was your boss there to see this fine example of discipline? If not, I think you should wait until you are at a company party and then ask the guy to do the same thing

Just out of curiosity, what was he saying about his wife? Did he show you guys any pictures
DVD Talk Special Edition

They should fire his sorry ass!
DVD Talk Legend

Ok we just talked and my lord wait til you hear this...

So i meet him in the coffee shop and he says "i discussed with HR and i just want to know if we can move on from this and accept my apology..." i said "listen , i didnt have a problem with you before..i cant understand what would make you throw the drink in my face"... and get this " well it was my understanding and this is only what i thought... when i was discussing throwing the recycle into the garbage and when you were agreeing with me... i thought you referred that all italians do that.." WTTTTTFFFF...i said "what would make you think that i thought italians would do that.... why would you think i even know your italian... and i barely know you to even fuck with you..." ..so he said "im sorry for being ignorant and it was stupid of me..." damn right it was stupid of him but i also said "do you know how much i hated myself for not kicking your ass" douchebag says "fair enough" LOLOL

ok so we shook hands but the moron didnt get the hint that i didnt want to go up the elevator with him... so i had to walk with him... as we walk he says "hey who knows maybe we can be great friends with this" WTF "do you have any kids?... maybe we can setup a playdate... lets do lunch... next week"...im like umm yeah.. have a nice weekend...

WTF... see i didnt want to bring up the minority shit or race but i cant believe he thought i was referring to italians and recycling... huh...
Old 04-02-10, 10:46 AM

To be fair, Italians don't really like to recycle since most have relatives in the "waste management" business.
Old 04-02-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well it seems that it turned out alright... Remember, you guys were drinking, and you KNOW WHAT HAPPENS Italians get drunk!!!!
Old 04-02-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, you mean a drunken conversation makes no sense when sober?
Old 04-02-10, 10:48 AM

When you say "outing" and "at the bar," that sounds like it happened off company property.

If he dented your car at the bar, would you have reported that to HR?
Old 04-02-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess i am in the minority here, but i don't think you should have brought HR into the situation. Once you leave work and go to a bar, HR should not be involved in what happens.

But glad things have been resolved.
Old 04-02-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

on the comment of a non sanctioned event, no matter what, you still represent the company... regardless of anything... good conduct policy

i just couldnt understand that... and i wasnt plowed... thats the thing...
Old 04-02-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So i meet him in the coffee shop and he says "i discussed with HR and i just want to know if we can move on from this and accept my apology..." i said "listen , i didnt have a problem with you before..i cant understand what would make you throw the drink in my face"... and get this " well it was my understanding and this is only what i thought... when i was discussing throwing the recycle into the garbage and when you were agreeing with me... i thought you referred that all italians do that.." WTTTTTFFFF...i said "what would make you think that i thought italians would do that.... why would you think i even know your italian... and i barely know you to even fuck with you..." ..so he said "im sorry for being ignorant and it was stupid of me..." damn right it was stupid of him but i also said "do you know how much i hated myself for not kicking your ass" douchebag says "fair enough" LOLOL
Typical Italians.
Old 04-02-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like he was just reaching for anything to justify his douche behavior and reached for the handy ethnic background card.

I still vote that he should have been walked out of the building with his personal items.
Old 04-02-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

on the comment of a non sanctioned event, no matter what, you still represent the company... regardless of anything... good conduct policy
Not sure what type of business you are in, but once i leave work, I don't represent the company.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.