Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Did i do the right thing?
Yes... i would have told HR as well.
85.71%
Maybe you should have waited
14.29%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Did i do the right thing?

Old 04-02-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Did i do the right thing?

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Not sure what type of business you are in, but once i leave work, I don't represent the company.
financial world... no bullshit here... also, its an employee to employee problem... could cause problems at work... thats just policy...
Old 04-02-10, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
To be fair, Italians don't really like to recycle since most have relatives in the "waste management" business.

since when did recycling become a bad thing
Old 04-02-10, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
on the comment of a non sanctioned event, no matter what, you still represent the company... regardless of anything... good conduct policy....
Regardless of anything? No matter what? So if you were on vacation in Tokyo, ran into the guy and he threw a cup of saki in your face, you'd report that to HR? What if your neighbor is also a coworker and their dog craps in your yard, would you report that to HR?

Just get a t-shirt that says "I PUSSED OUT" and call it day.
Old 04-02-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought you restrained yourself from kicking his ass because it was on company property, or at a company sponsored event.

If it wasn't then, no, you didn't do the right thing. You should have whipped his ass, AND reported him to HR.
Old 04-02-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not sure what type of business you are in, but once i leave work, I don't represent the company.
What about teachers that get fired for risque pictures on fishing boats? Sometimes work follows you home.

I think I would have mentioned to HR, not that they can or should do something, but to have it on record in case this becomes a work issue.

Good job keeping your cool in front of the boss, it showed you work well around douche-bags, and will come into consideration at promotion time, if he wasn't too drunk to remember.
Old 04-02-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
What about teachers that get fired for risque pictures on fishing boats? Sometimes work follows you home.

I think I would have mentioned to HR, not that they can or should do something, but to have it on record in case this becomes a work issue.

Good job keeping your cool in front of the boss, it showed you work well around douche-bags, and will come into consideration at promotion time, if he wasn't too drunk to remember.
And what about all the times you have done something stupid after work, or at a bar or some place. You want someone reporting you to your HR everytime you get drunk or do something stupid.

And the OP doesn't get any points for not kicking the guys ass. It is called acting like an adult, and it is expected.

This was just a situation between two guys at a bar.
Old 04-02-10, 11:15 AM

i agree with jon. I don't think he was trying to get the guy fired by reporting it to HR.

I'm actually surprised more people don't agree with cp because of the whole stop snitching bs.

we also live in a world where people do the unexpected all the time so OP still gets props for doing the right thing, even if it should be expected
Old 04-02-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
For the love of Pete. Don't agree with anything he says.
Old 04-02-10, 11:24 AM
Suspended

You were in the wrong for taunting a drunk person. You should have known he would have actually done it.
Old 04-02-10, 11:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
For the love of Pete. Don't agree with anything he says.
Exactly.
Old 04-02-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's the thing - you can't really apply all jobs under a blanket statement. Teachers, politicians, cops - anything they do outside their working hours that can negatively impact their jobs are given consideration.

There was this cop in NY who did some pretty blue standup under a fake name (Club Soda Kenny) and once his department found out he was fired. He didn't make any references to being a cop but his employer still felt he represented the police force. Ultimately he was fully reinstated but he still got in trouble.
Old 04-02-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you do the right thing by repeatedly saying the word "agree" to a drunk who was obviously getting worked up over you agreeing with him?

No, that was stupid. You might as well have started prancing around him chanting "AGREE! AGREE! AGREE!" the way you were handling it. You got a beer in the puss for the way you decided to handle that one.

As far as 'telling on him' him to 'daddy'? I don't know much about that workplace stuff... but if some moron is somehow able to affect your ability to earn a living I suppose it's best to CYA. Since your boss was there when it happened maybe that was a good idea.

Overall it would have been best to just say 'easy man you're getting the wrong idea' in the bar, instead of this 'I'm not AGREEing with you, I won't AGREE with you again, AGREEing is not what I'm doing, saying "I AGREE with you" is something I will not do again', and silly shit like that.
Old 04-02-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Honestly, your story sounds like one side of two people being too drunk, verbally going back and forth and then one of them getting beer dumped on them. If it wasn't a work-sanctioned function, going to HR over something that happened on personal time is a douche move, especially considering you were both drunk. What would you do if you were dating someone in the office, got in an argument and she/he told you that you had a little dick? Report the person to HR for sexual harassment? If you can't separate what happens in the office from what happens out of the office, you shouldn't spend social time with people you work with.
Old 04-02-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

tell him you dont have a problem with him, and not to go to the don
Old 04-02-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And what about all the times you have done something stupid after work, or at a bar or some place. You want someone reporting you to your HR everytime you get drunk or do something stupid.

And the OP doesn't get any points for not kicking the guys ass. It is called acting like an adult, and it is expected.

This was just a situation between two guys at a bar.
It wasn't at work, but is seemed to be a "work" event. I keep my stupid shit to my friends, my work shit with my co-workers, and I don't cross the line.

If you were at the company Christmas party, located in a hotel conference room and went up to the bosses wife, said "nice tits" and proceeded to motorboat her, do you honestly think this would have no bearing on your future at said company?
Old 04-02-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck the Yankees....!
Old 04-02-10, 01:05 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I'm really thirsty, so I agree with all of you.
Old 04-02-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It wasn't at work, but is seemed to be a "work" event. I keep my stupid shit to my friends, my work shit with my co-workers, and I don't cross the line.

If you were at the company Christmas party, located in a hotel conference room and went up to the bosses wife, said "nice tits" and proceeded to motorboat her, do you honestly think this would have no bearing on your future at said company?
Your example is not even remotely like this situation being discussed, so i'm not really sure how to answer.
Old 04-02-10, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Ok we just talked and my lord wait til you hear this...

So i meet him in the coffee shop and he says "i discussed with HR and i just want to know if we can move on from this and accept my apology..." i said "listen , i didnt have a problem with you before..i cant understand what would make you throw the drink in my face"... and get this " well it was my understanding and this is only what i thought... when i was discussing throwing the recycle into the garbage and when you were agreeing with me... i thought you referred that all italians do that.." WTTTTTFFFF...i said "what would make you think that i thought italians would do that.... why would you think i even know your italian... and i barely know you to even fuck with you..." ..so he said "im sorry for being ignorant and it was stupid of me..." damn right it was stupid of him but i also said "do you know how much i hated myself for not kicking your ass" douchebag says "fair enough" LOLOL

ok so we shook hands but the moron didnt get the hint that i didnt want to go up the elevator with him... so i had to walk with him... as we walk he says "hey who knows maybe we can be great friends with this" WTF "do you have any kids?... maybe we can setup a playdate... lets do lunch... next week"...im like umm yeah.. have a nice weekend...

WTF... see i didnt want to bring up the minority shit or race but i cant believe he thought i was referring to italians and recycling... huh...
Are you still drunk?
Old 04-02-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Guess i am in the minority here, but i don't think you should have brought HR into the situation. Once you leave work and go to a bar, HR should not be involved in what happens.

But glad things have been resolved.
i sort of lean towards this side a little more than reporting it. but, i think it depends on the kind of work you do. some types of professions have morals clauses as a condition of employment.
Old 04-02-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I will wait until Dr. Mabuse posts his advice to vote.
He nailed it!

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Did you do the right thing by repeatedly saying the word "agree" to a drunk who was obviously getting worked up over you agreeing with him?

No, that was stupid. You might as well have started prancing around him chanting "AGREE! AGREE! AGREE!" the way you were handling it. You got a beer in the puss for the way you decided to handle that one.

As far as 'telling on him' him to 'daddy'? I don't know much about that workplace stuff... but if some moron is somehow able to affect your ability to earn a living I suppose it's best to CYA. Since your boss was there when it happened maybe that was a good idea.

Overall it would have been best to just say 'easy man you're getting the wrong idea' in the bar, instead of this 'I'm not AGREEing with you, I won't AGREE with you again, AGREEing is not what I'm doing, saying "I AGREE with you" is something I will not do again', and silly shit like that.
Old 04-02-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

FWIW, since you reported it, HR was absolutely fucking retarded to tell you to go meet the guy without another HR representative there on company time. Ridiculous.
Old 04-02-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Your example is not even remotely like this situation being discussed, so i'm not really sure how to answer.
How was it not close?

Both were gatherings of employees outside of work, neutral territory, with presumed alcohol being consumed. In both circumstances, one person does something inappropriate.

I guess the only way to make them match better is to have the "employee" actually motorboat his boss.

The post was in response to those who say "it was outside of work and nothing you can do outside of work can effect your job"
Old 04-02-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
FWIW, since you reported it, HR was absolutely fucking retarded to tell you to go meet the guy without another HR representative there on company time. Ridiculous.
This. Usually HR will send someone as a "mediator."
Old 04-02-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How was it not close?

Both were gatherings of employees outside of work, neutral territory, with presumed alcohol being consumed. In both circumstances, one person does something inappropriate.

I guess the only way to make them match better is to have the "employee" actually motorboat his boss.

The post was in response to those who say "it was outside of work and nothing you can do outside of work can effect your job"
You went from 2 co workers having an issue at a bar after work, to an employee sexually assaulting the boss' wife at a company function.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.