Reload this Page >

Online dating experiences?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-21-10, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate you guys giving me advice on IT... now I ask for online dating tips. I joined match.com and did meet a nice woman on there but we didn't have a strong connection. I haven't been on a date since her.

Do you guys have any recommendations?
Old 03-21-10, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Online dating experiences?

Adultfriendfinder?

Old 03-21-10, 06:45 AM

Okcupid.com. free, fun, easy. Like the women I tend to date.
Old 03-21-10, 07:27 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I had good experiences with eharmony.
Old 03-21-10, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk God

i met corrie online, and we've been married 12+ years now
Old 03-21-10, 09:26 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

craigslist casual encounters
Old 03-21-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ardathbey View Post
Okcupid.com. free, fun, easy. Like the women I tend to date.
I had never heard of this site, I'll check it out today.
Old 03-21-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

www.gay.com Chat House for Women. I met several women there from 1997-2000, and even traveled to meet a number of them. With varying results.

www.butch-femme.com Forum. Ditto, from 2000-2005.

Oooh, but I'll bet you're straight.
Old 03-21-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I tried online dating probably 3-4 years ago, and I saw the same people I saw at the bars. Here is how I rank them, based off of personal experience and feedback from friends. It goes from serious relationship to casual hookups.

1. J-Date. A female friend asked me to come with her to a young professional's mixer, and failed to mention it doubled as a J-Date function. Once a girl there learned I was a gentile, she got very short with me and said that she was only looking for "a Jewish man to marry", and she walked away. That happened multiple times that night, so I ended up talking with one of the servers. We both found the odds good but the goods odd, so we ditched and eventually had some gentile on gentile fun.

eHarmony. I think a pre-requisite for the women on eHarmony was to hear the Tick-Tock of their biological clocks. I met a few women, but I felt like the dates were interviews for marriage, and not a way to get to know someone better. I did learn that I was great marriage material, though the aggressiveness/smell of desperation of some of the women was off-putting. I'm pretty sure the 3rd date on eHarmony is to a jeweler to size a ring. I also learned that what I looked for in a woman was in the minority, though at least I didn't get rejected....which evidently happens rather frequently.

*The Chasm of Normal People Dating*

Match.com. This service seems to be an excuse for people who go to bars every weekend to still say they are "serious" about dating. I can't tell you how many women I saw online that I later saw at the bars. There were times I could remember their screen names, but I was too nice to mention it. I went out on two separate occasions with women where we later realized we had hooked up before......awkward! Use your monthly membership fee for a bar tab, because it is the same women. One good thing about match.com is the likelihood of meeting a person who works in healthcare. I think I met more nurses here than anywhere else.

Plenty of Fish This is for people who are too cheap to join a dating website and/or too skittish to admit to online dating. I never used them, but I've been told that you put up with a lot because it is free.

Casual Encounters. Some people pretend it is like dating, but most are honest about their intentions, and less honest about their marital status. This can be a goldmine for someone with questionable standards, and your chances increase with labile morals. There can be some hot people on there, but it is very location dependent. Also, naked/suggestive pictures seem to be common, but much like MySpace and other places....pictures can lie, badly.

Adultfriendfinder. Finally an honest website. People on here know what they want, and they tell you. A couple of my friends are regulars in their areas, and it can be as sketchy and weird as you think. The chances the other person is married is better than not, but do you really care? I've never tried it, but they (one female, one male) swear by it....though it isn't a place to look for a sig. other.

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 03-21-10 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-21-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pedagogue View Post
I tried online dating probably 3-4 years ago, and I saw the same people I saw at the bars. Here is how I rank them, based off of personal experience and feedback from friends. It goes from serious relationship to casual hookups.

eHarmony. I think a pre-requisite for the women on eHarmony was to hear the Tick-Tock of their biological clocks. I met a few women, but I felt like the dates were interviews for marriage, and not a way to get to know someone better. I did learn that I was great marriage material, though the aggressiveness/smell of desperation of some of the women was off-putting. I'm pretty sure the 3rd date on eHarmony is to a jeweler to size a ring. I also learned that what I looked for in a woman was in the minority, though at least I didn't get rejected....which evidently happens rather frequently.
I have only tried eHarmony and what Pedagogue indicates above is dead on!
Old 03-21-10, 04:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
I have only tried eHarmony and what Pedagogue indicates above is dead on!
yep..tried them a few years back and its geared for marriage minded women who want men to be whipped and shut off the football game if they need to talk....i failed their test...then lo and behold 2 weeks later they want me to join.. lol
Old 03-21-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I met my wife online through a site called Socialnet, but I think it turned into Match.com. Neither one of us was a paid member. Ahh, the good old days.
Old 03-21-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue View Post
We both found the odds good but the goods odd, so we ditched and eventually had some gentile on gentile fun.
I laughed out loud at this. Well done.

A friend of mine met a woman online who turned out to be a prostitute. So there's always the chance an online date will end with someone asking for money.
Old 03-21-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
I laughed out loud at this. Well done.

A friend of mine met a woman online who turned out to be a prostitute. So there's always the chance an online date will end with someone asking for money.
That happens to me all the time.
Old 03-21-10, 04:59 PM

I tried the online thing 13 or so years ago.. I met a few cool people, but they were too far of a drive to make it work.. and then I met a few that were completely different looking than their picture.. and one that totally smelled.. that was not pleasant.
Old 03-21-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i met my wife online.

so yeah....i'd pretty much avoid it.
Old 03-21-10, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
I've had some success with online dating but beware the pictures they send aren't always accurate. One time I thought I was going to meet a hot girl and it turned out to be this middle aged guy with a bunch of cameramen! We had fun anyway.
lol
Old 03-21-10, 05:24 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by crankyman View Post
i met my wife online.

So yeah....i'd pretty much avoid it.
lol
Old 03-21-10, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
I've had some success with online dating but beware the pictures they send aren't always accurate. One time I thought I was going to meet a hot girl and it turned out to be this middle aged guy with a bunch of cameramen! We had fun anyway.
LOL!

Did you get Chris Hansen's autograph?
Old 03-21-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Met some women through Match.com, but a lot of those were one and done type deals. Almost all women I went out with were fresh out of a relationship and apparently couldn't stand the thought of being single for a week or two. The reality of the situation was they were just on the outs with their BFs, and I would always get the e-mail saying "we've decided to give it another go." I was rebound guy, what can I say?

I have never tried eharmony as I tend to shoot pretty straight when asked questions, and that place seems to profile pretty hard. I make okay money, but I never mention the bonus $$ I get as part of my regular salary as it's never a guarantee (though it would bloat my range a bit), and I don't lie about what level of management I am to look more impressive.
Old 03-21-10, 05:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I met my wife on chatroulette.
Old 03-21-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The problem with online dating is that you still have all of the obstacles you do of regular dating...AND you don't know what they look like. Some people report it easier to "get to know" each other, but how accurate is an e-mail? The vast majority of communication is non-verbal, so I think it is just a way for companies to make money.

I actually thought about signing up the other day so I could post a ridiculous profile just for fun. It seemed like a good idea until I saw how expensive it was every month.

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 03-21-10 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-21-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I met Krishelle on match.com and we've been married almost 5 years.
Old 03-21-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Facebook. I'm dating my best friend from 20 years ago.
Old 03-21-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My last two gf's came from match. I have had good experiences with match, but I think one thing that people forget is that it is still just dating. If you suck at dating, are boring when you first meet people, don't know how to project confidence, etc., match isn't going to work any better than a bar.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.