Reload this Page >

Online dating experiences?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Online dating experiences?

Old 03-23-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Online dating experiences?

I used to love POF until apparently I got permanently banned. No explanation or warning. I suddenly couldn't log into my account. I've tried changing IP addresses, new emails, new accounts, but it gets deleted within hours. They got some amazing security protocols there, I guess.

The problem with online is it really brings out the shallow nature in women. Most can't even take two seconds to say hi back to me, and I get really annoyed when a woman brags on her profile about being a devote loving Christian and then acts like she is too good to talk to me.
Old 03-23-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvdaddict32 View Post
Most can't even take two seconds to say hi back to me, and I get really annoyed when a woman brags on her profile about being a devote loving Christian and then acts like she is too good to talk to me.
Doesn't mean she thinks she's too good to talk to you, but there is no reason to do so on a dating site if you're not a Christian.
Old 03-23-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I used to love POF until apparently I got permanently banned. No explanation or warning. I suddenly couldn't log into my account. I've tried changing IP addresses, new emails, new accounts, but it gets deleted within hours. They got some amazing security protocols there, I guess.

The problem with online is it really brings out the shallow nature in women. Most can't even take two seconds to say hi back to me, and I get really annoyed when a woman brags on her profile about being a devote loving Christian and then acts like she is too good to talk to me.
judging by this post, I can't understand why they won't talk to you.
Old 03-23-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like someone's not telling the whole story...
Old 03-23-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Odd. A few months ago OK Cupid or POF (can't remember which) released a study showing that the women on their site find the men less attractive than vice versa, but the women were more willing to respond to unattractive men. (Which is further evidence of my theory that dating sites are full of single moms who know they have to lower their standards to find a man willing to put up with screaming kids.)
Old 03-23-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Well, wait, doesn't Match.com filter results to show you people who are good matches for you? Apparently you like slutty bar chicks, so it's showing you slutty bar chicks. The fact that it's identifying women you've already hooked up with is a sign that it's working. There are probably tons of granola girls who write poetry about dolphins on Match.com, but the system knows they aren't for you.
It's like you know me...you really really know me!

Not anymore, I date a much more sophisticated woman now....as I have expensive taste and they can afford it better.
Old 03-23-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
why don't you try calling the co-worker that you were dating before who was married with two young kids and lots of drama? or are you no longer waiting for her to get a divorce?

or wait, was this last "nice" woman the one you talked about before?
Yeah, the last one was a nice woman I met online. It didn't work out.
Old 03-23-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe she is too good to talk to you.
Old 03-24-10, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by pjflyer View Post
Maybe she is too good to talk to you.

Christians are not suppose to reject people. We are even to love our enemies.
Old 03-24-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did the online dating thing for a few months in 2006. Had a bunch of dates, but got tired of the kind of women I was meeting. Part of it was that I would spend time getting to know them over e-mail, then discover in the first 10 minutes of the date that it wouldn't work out. Decided to start asking them out to coffee or something within the first few exchanges and it worked out better, if only to weed out the bad dates earlier.

Ultimately I gave up on online dating (the women I met were mostly looking for something casual, which I was tired of) and shut off my profiles on Match and Yahoo.

Then I got an IM from a girl I didn't know who saw my profile on the website of The Stranger (a local alternative newspaper). I had forgotten about that profile. We talked for a couple hours, met for dinner, and we're still together almost four years later.
Old 03-24-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Christians are not suppose to reject people. We are even to love our enemies.
Christians are supposed to chat and date with whatever ugly ass annoying beast contacts them? I need to find me some more Christian womens for some enemy luvin!
Old 03-24-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Incidentally, I stopped responding to obvious "no"s after awhile. At first I tried to respond to them with a gentle "not interested, but thanks" kind of e-mail, but it got really tedious and somewhat emotionally draining. After a time I also realized that long first e-mails more often than not indicated they were crazy.
Old 03-24-10, 09:47 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
Sounds like someone's not telling the whole story...
Yeah, whenever somebody says "I got banned from _______ FOR NO REASON" there's always a reason.
Old 03-24-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Odd. A few months ago OK Cupid or POF (can't remember which) released a study showing that the women on their site find the men less attractive than vice versa, but the women were more willing to respond to unattractive men. (Which is further evidence of my theory that dating sites are full of single moms who know they have to lower their standards to find a man willing to put up with screaming kids.)
Probably OkCupid, most likely this: http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/20...online-dating/

Again, even if you don't user their site, you can use their findings to help you on other dating sites.
Old 03-24-10, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Christians are supposed to chat and date with whatever ugly ass annoying beast contacts them? I need to find me some more Christian womens for some enemy luvin!
If someone gives a friendly greeting, they should at least have the courtesy to answer back regardless of appearance. Again, if you are going to promote yourself as a born again washed in the blood, sold out for Jesus person on your website, you should act like one!
Old 03-24-10, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Yeah, whenever somebody says "I got banned from _______ FOR NO REASON" there's always a reason.
I said no "apparent" reason because the admins never contacted me or gave me an explanation.
Old 03-24-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I met my wife on Plenty of Fish. She actually wrote to me first. She had seen my profile and waited an appropriate amount of time to see if I would write to her first. Problem was, she lived 2.5 hours away from me, and my search parameters did not reach that far. What can I say, I live in a city of 1.3 million people, why would I be searching small towns 2.5 hours away?

Anyway, I told her she lived too far away and I nearly blew her off. A few emails, a few phone calls, a few dates, and I'm glad I didn't throw her back. We've been married nearly 2 years now!

Oh, and she's a kindergarten teacher. Very sweet and loving girl!
Old 03-24-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If someone gives a friendly greeting, they should at least have the courtesy to answer back regardless of appearance. Again, if you are going to promote yourself as a born again washed in the blood, sold out for Jesus person on your website, you should act like one!
Because responding to every email with "not interested" is a annoying; a null response relays the same exact message with no effort. Even born again Christians can be annoyed (and lazy).
I would say from my experience that a null response works better than an actual one. Guys rarely give up easy, whether in person or on a dating site. A response (even a negative one) is still a response and that can encourage another exchange.
Old 03-24-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I said no "apparent" reason because the admins never contacted me or gave me an explanation.
PoF bans people for harrassing other members or sending sexually oriented messages. You have to be pretty obnoxious for that to happen...
Old 03-24-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Christians are allowed to try and enter a business that has banned them by using deceptive IP addresses and email accounts - but christian women can't ignore men that turn them off on a dating website. Weird religion you have there. Maybe if most women don't respond to you then the problem is you, not them.
Old 03-24-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffzig View Post
I met my wife on Plenty of Fish.
That must've been awkward.

Old 03-24-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Well, for those of you that can recall an infamous [and now deleted] dating thread I started about "Vicki".....turns out you were all correct; she WAS fucking Joe (her ex-boyfriend, then best friend, now boyfriend again). Glad I got out as soon as I did. What jerks they both are. LOL.

http://www.facebook.com/search/?flt=...?id=1540076754
DVDTalkers are pretty much spot on with their advice... it won't be what you want to hear but it's the truth.

Update: I'm 2 for 2 with short e-mails and about 0 for 25 with long ones.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 03-24-10 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That OK Cupid blog is awesome. I don't think I've seen a dating website that was that open about their data.
Old 03-25-10, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Or maybe you are just ugly?
I don't treat people like pieces of shit, unlike yourself, "apparently"
Old 03-25-10, 07:51 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't treat people like pieces of shit, unlike yourself, "apparently"
I think more and more pieces of the ban "puzzle" are sliding into place.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.