Reload this Page >

Online dating experiences?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Online dating experiences?

Old 05-31-13, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Online dating experiences?

Did you even read anything that was posted about your first profile?
Old 05-31-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I also just noticed that on the OKC app you can also download a new app called "Crazy Blind Date." It's from the creators of OKC. I guess it sets you up on blind dates and whatnot. Anyone ever use it?
Old 05-31-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Did you even read anything that was posted about your first profile?
Sure, he read the stuff about having a lighthearted profile that shows off his sense of humor. Unfortunately he's the sort of guy who takes good advice and acts upon it the worst possible way.

Mhg, the "I'm a brooding vampire" schtick only works on 16 year old girls, and you need an extensive goth wardrobe to pull it off. For a 30 year old geek to do it, it comes across as pathetic and makes you sound like a creepy stalker dude.
Old 05-31-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
New profile I created: "Unlike the toaster, I control the darkness" About Mike
It's been so long since my last date (around the boxer rebellion) But I'm finally ready to start seeking Day Walkers. A little about me. I don't sparkle for starters so don't ask! I am a bit older but people say i look young. I am a bit on the pale side but that's due to the lack of sunlight. I f you come over don't be surprised to find no food in my house as I'm on a strict liquid only diet.

I'm a big TV/Film Geek. My favorite shows are Buffy, Angel, The Sopranos, 24, True Blood, The Walking Dead and of course Breaking Bad! As for movies; I'm a big Kevin Smith fan (Clerks is my favorite) Paul Thomas Anderson, Darren Aronofsky, Ben Affleck, Martin Scorsese, Coen Brothers, and Jeff Nichols are my favorite Directors.

First Date
Dinner at night but nothing with Garlic! After Dinner we can get a drink. I'm open to all blood types but would prefer B positive.
- I also deleted all my animal pics and changed my height to the true 5' 5'
This is the worst dating profile I've ever read. The vampire thing is so dated. Also you probably shouldn't mention 'blood' and 'positive' in the same sentence.
Old 05-31-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Ben Affleck?
Old 05-31-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

He's obviously just trolling now.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I also just noticed that on the OKC app you can also download a new app called "Crazy Blind Date." It's from the creators of OKC. I guess it sets you up on blind dates and whatnot. Anyone ever use it?
Try it and let us know how it goes. You're in LA so there should be a ton of options.

If I had more time I'd dive in just for some what-the-hell variety. But I only have a couple of nights a week to myself so not keen on sacrificing one of them for a woman with a scrambled pic.
Old 05-31-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide View Post

Try it and let us know how it goes. You're in LA so there should be a ton of options.

If I had more time I'd dive in just for some what-the-hell variety. But I only have a couple of nights a week to myself so not keen on sacrificing one of them for a woman with a scrambled pic.
The "scrambled" pic kind of makes it a deal breaker. I'll take a look. It's a free download.
Old 06-04-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/05/31/1222447110
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/techn...-online/65850/

The advent of the Internet, social networking, and on-line dating has affected how people meet future spouses, but little is known about the prevalence or outcomes of these marriages or the demographics of those involved. We addressed these questions in a nationally representative sample of 19,131 respondents who married between 2005 and 2012. Results indicate that more than one-third of marriages in America now begin on-line. In addition, marriages that began on-line, when compared with those that began through traditional off-line venues, were slightly less likely to result in a marital break-up (separation or divorce) and were associated with slightly higher marital satisfaction among those respondents who remained married. Demographic differences were identified between respondents who met their spouse through on-line vs. traditional off-line venues, but the findings for marital break-up and marital satisfaction remained significant after statistically controlling for these differences.
The study itself was funded by eHarmony, but the journal in which the study was published is reputable. I believe the conclusions, frankly.
Old 06-04-13, 08:34 PM
En vacance

Well there you go, technology has proven to pwn the history of marriage problems for thousands of years. W00t.
Old 06-05-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide View Post
now?
Old 06-11-13, 03:43 AM
En vacance

!!! Something i JUST figured out and noticed about these sites now mwahaha... is something only understood after a while of going through the constant messaging bullshit, is to not throw a few short comments and be away with it hoping that in the neverending stream of coming and going profiles someone will stick around through some witty routine or well said pickup sentence is to.... lay yourself out there with your poetic/romantic/witty combos in a lengthy wall of text, drop those walls and bear yourself in text form (of course not being creepy). I mean heck if it is 'weird' to do it in person busting a Romeo, in text it is just where it works and not the lines i see people recommending like an assembly line thing. When you actually invest this , surprise surprise, virtually any chick there will give you time to talk with. Those school literature skills are put to good use finally.
Old 06-11-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FRwL View Post
!!! Something i JUST figured out and noticed about these sites now mwahaha... is something only understood after a while of going through the constant messaging bullshit, is to not throw a few short comments and be away with it hoping that in the neverending stream of coming and going profiles someone will stick around through some witty routine or well said pickup sentence is to.... lay yourself out there with your poetic/romantic/witty combos in a lengthy wall of text, drop those walls and bear yourself in text form (of course not being creepy). I mean heck if it is 'weird' to do it in person busting a Romeo, in text it is just where it works and not the lines i see people recommending like an assembly line thing. When you actually invest this , surprise surprise, virtually any chick there will give you time to talk with. Those school literature skills are put to good use finally.
I'm quoting this for posterity just in case you delete it after you sober up.
Old 06-11-13, 03:38 PM
En vacance

And even if it takes the rest of your life figuring it out.. .you out it to yourself to ... oh wait nevermind. And if they dont respond, you merely leave a heart fealt thing like you didnt mean to do that, and they... they respond....
Old 06-11-13, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL View Post
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5hfYJsQAhl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-12-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Brilliant Osiris.
Old 06-28-13, 09:19 AM
Cool New Member

:sadbanana: where'd all the experiences go?
Old 06-28-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ka11ima View Post
:sadbanana: where'd all the experiences go?
mhg83 has found a new forum where he can post his experiences in excessive details without fear of a mod crackdown. Unfortunately we are not allowed to mention that forum here.
Old 06-28-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OKC is endless entertainment