Reload this Page >

Online dating experiences?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Online dating experiences?

Old 05-23-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Online dating experiences?

Huh? Not at all. That's what the whole discussion was about a few posts/threads back and it was confirmed by another member. OKC are sneaky ****s whereas Match (since you're paying a shitload for it) matches you up automatically with hot women. Shit, I wish OKC would automatically match me up with hot women, but I look like a Dothraki.
Old 05-23-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
None of those women you are being matched to sound like they would let you pee in their butts.
They drew the line at that.

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
So basically OKCupid provides easier access to pussy than most other sites.
POF probably has the easiest access...perhaps because the site itself looks like shit. POF is the online dating equivalent to Wal-Mart (to OKC's Target).
Old 05-23-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Based upon the comments in this thread, can we play the game of how many women Eddie Money, Who So Blue, and Penguin Joe have slept with total?

I'm guessing 5.
Old 05-23-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll go with six, but they've all been with EddieMoney.
Old 05-23-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Haters gonna hate. Hey, you leave Eddie Money out of this. He makes me laugh.
Old 05-23-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
Based upon the comments in this thread, can we play the game of how many women Eddie Money, Who So Blue, and Penguin Joe have slept with total?

I'm guessing 5.
I'll take with the over, but only because I think the women probably rate between a 4-6 and not an 8-10 like they want you to believe. I'm not impressed with quantity over quality
Old 05-23-13, 02:30 PM
RIP

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Back in my heyday, probably 100+ per year. But now...

Old 05-23-13, 02:33 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
I'll take with the over, but only because I think the women probably rate between a 4-6 and not an 8-10 like they want you to believe. I'm not impressed with quantity over quality
When did I ever say that? I've admitted to either lowering my standards, or having none at all. Looks aside, the formula is simple: if it smells like salmon, keep on slammin'. If it smells like trout, pull it out. If it smells like flounder, you really must pound 'er...you get the point.
Old 05-23-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post

I'm guessing 5.
If two of them banged the same girl, does that count as one or two?
Old 05-23-13, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
When did I ever say that? I've admitted to either lowering my standards, or having none at all. Looks aside, the formula is simple: if it smells like salmon, keep on slammin'. If it smells like trout, pull it out. If it smells like flounder, you really must pound 'er...you get the point.
I wasn't actually referring to you, just our Mexican buddy in LA who bangs only supermodels
Old 05-23-13, 02:45 PM
RIP

I wasn't actually referring to you, just our Mexican buddy in LA who bangs only supermodels
Gotcha. Let me tell you about the days when I did the club circuit in LA...
Old 05-23-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Back in my heyday, probably 100+ per year. But now...

You look like a 60 year old woman in this pic

Old 05-23-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know what?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8EG6apxGWqw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-23-13, 02:59 PM
RIP

Aging well is not a strong suit of the MoneyMan.
Old 05-23-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used both Match and OKC and got much more out of OKC. I did pay for the upgraded OKC account so I could fine tune my searches and it was worth the $10/month or whatever it was.

As a very average looking, tall, kind of pudgy 41 year-old, it was ridiculously easy to get lots of dates here in the DC/Baltimore area, often with women who I know wouldn't have given me the time of day back when we were both in our 20s. Just be reasonably bright with a good sense of humor and right a good profile and be proactive. It was a joke.

I think I ended up going out on at least one date with 19 women between the beginning of August and mid-October of last year, which includes a couple of multi-week stretches where I only really went out with one promising one (neither worked out). I also canceled a first date with woman #20 when I shut down my account in October as well as second and fourth dates with two others.

I also turned out down multiple opportunities for sex. I never have cared for casual sex believe it or not and if I don't think the woman is a promising candidate for a long-term relationship, I won't have sex with her. YMMV, obviously.

At the other end of the spectrum, my first roommate when my ex-wife and I first separated was a manwhore who hung out on Match and would literally sleep with at least 3-4 different women a week, all of whom he met on Match. He was not much to look at but he was good at charm.
Old 05-23-13, 03:01 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I also turned out down multiple opportunities for sex. I never have cared for casual sex believe it or not and if I don't think the woman is a promising candidate for a long-term relationship, I won't have sex with her.
Does...not....compute.......
Old 05-23-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So here is some general advice that I hope someone might find useful.

Online dating is terrific. Obviously you have the advantage of knowing that everyone you contact on a dating site is actually looking for someone, an advantage you do not have in bars or the mall or whatever. But the best part is the opportunity to communicate a bit via email/IM/phone before you meet. That, and being able to just screen women by what they indicate and write in their profiles (and by their pictures, obviously) means that every date you do go on has at least a decent chance of being worthwhile.

So here's the advice, directed at anyone who is actually just trying to find that one special someone on a dating site:

Go out on as many dates as you can.

Avoid the "well, she seems nice" trap. You meet a woman, you think she is attractive, she thinks you are, she seems nice and you get along with her pretty well. You like some of the same movies, the same bands, politics, whatever. There are no major red flags. It's all going well. You keep going out with her because there is no specific reason not to. You eventually start to fall in love, get used to having each other around, etc. and eventually you are in a long-term relationship with her, married, whatever.

You just fell into the trap. You are probably signing yourself up for either a long-term relationship that will end badly or a future of discontentment because you didn't wait for the right woman.

When you meet the right woman (or man), it won't be like that. It won't be something that you just ease into. You'll know it pretty quickly (although maybe not immediately). Wait for the real emotional fireworks.

So:

1. Go out on lots of dates with lots of different women. Be patient and wait for one that is truly great for you. Do not settle for "well, she seems nice". The more dates, the more opportunities you will have to meet the right person.

2. Always go out on a second date with someone who seems at least somewhat promising after the first. Women are often not very good at being themselves on first dates and it can sometimes take 2-3 dates before you know what you really have in front of you.

3. Be good at being yourself on a first date. If the real you isn't something she seems into, that's a good thing. She isn't right for you. That isn't to say that you shouldn't sand down some of the sharp edges of your personality at first, but you should not have to pretend you are someone you are not.

4. If you are getting sick of dating, just take a break for awhile. No big deal. There will be plenty of new women (or men) to look at when you get back.
Old 05-23-13, 03:18 PM
RIP

How long should you wait before banging it out?
Old 05-23-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I used both Match and OKC and got much more out of OKC. I did pay for the upgraded OKC account so I could fine tune my searches and it was worth the $10/month or whatever it was.

As a very average looking, tall, kind of pudgy 41 year-old, it was ridiculously easy to get lots of dates here in the DC/Baltimore area, often with women who I know wouldn't have given me the time of day back when we were both in our 20s. Just be reasonably bright with a good sense of humor and right a good profile and be proactive. It was a joke.

I think I ended up going out on at least one date with 19 women between the beginning of August and mid-October of last year, which includes a couple of multi-week stretches where I only really went out with one promising one (neither worked out). I also canceled a first date with woman #20 when I shut down my account in October as well as second and fourth dates with two others.

I also turned out down multiple opportunities for sex. I never have cared for casual sex believe it or not and if I don't think the woman is a promising candidate for a long-term relationship, I won't have sex with her. YMMV, obviously.

At the other end of the spectrum, my first roommate when my ex-wife and I first separated was a manwhore who hung out on Match and would literally sleep with at least 3-4 different women a week, all of whom he met on Match. He was not much to look at but he was good at charm.

Casual sex is awesome, but I don't agree that relationships won't last if she puts out on the first date. Hell, I want them to put out on the first date - that's an awesome thing, because then all future interactions don't become as awkward as they can if you made a move and got rejected on the first night. My last LTR lasted 4 years and we had sex on the first date.

Then again, I have been in those situations where the woman put out on the first date and then tries to make you work for it by denying the clam flesh afterwards, because she doesn't want you to think she's "easy." I hate insecurity.

I may have to give the OKC upgrade a try just to see how the features change up for us non-Ken doll looking guys.
Old 05-23-13, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just be reasonably bright with a good sense of humor and right a good profile and be proactive.
Old 05-23-13, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Online dating is terrific. Obviously you have the advantage of knowing that everyone you contact on a dating site is actually looking for someone, an advantage you do not have in bars or the mall or whatever. But the best part is the opportunity to communicate a bit via email/IM/phone before you meet. That, and being able to just screen women by what they indicate and write in their profiles (and by their pictures, obviously) means that every date you do go on has at least a decent chance of being worthwhile.

So here's the advice, directed at anyone who is actually just trying to find that one special someone on a dating site:

Avoid the "well, she seems nice" trap. You meet a woman, you think she is attractive, she thinks you are, she seems nice and you get along with her pretty well. You like some of the same movies, the same bands, politics, whatever. There are no major red flags. It's all going well. You keep going out with her because there is no specific reason not to. You eventually start to fall in love, get used to having each other around, etc. and eventually you are in a long-term relationship with her, married, whatever.

You just fell into the trap. You are probably signing yourself up for either a long-term relationship that will end badly or a future of discontentment because you didn't wait for the right woman.

When you meet the right woman (or man), it won't be like that. It won't be something that you just ease into. You'll know it pretty quickly (although maybe not immediately). Wait for the real emotional fireworks.

So:

1. Go out on lots of dates with lots of different women. Be patient and wait for one that is truly great for you. Do not settle for "well, she seems nice". The more dates, the more opportunities you will have to meet the right person.

2. Always go out on a second date with someone who seems at least somewhat promising after the first. Women are often not very good at being themselves on first dates and it can sometimes take 2-3 dates before you know what you really have in front of you.

3. Be good at being yourself on a first date. If the real you isn't something she seems into, that's a good thing. She isn't right for you. That isn't to say that you shouldn't sand down some of the sharp edges of your personality at first, but you should not have to pretend you are someone you are not.

4. If you are getting sick of dating, just take a break for awhile. No big deal. There will be plenty of new women (or men) to look at when you get back.

Great post!
Old 05-23-13, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Great post!
Thanks. I would also add that going out on lots of dates is good practice. If you are just coming out of a long marriage and starting to date again, you will suck at it at first and will get better. It's OK though. A lot of the women will suck at it as well so cut them some slack.
Old 05-23-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Yup. I'm not even gonna bother editing that. My mind works phonetically sometimes.
Old 05-23-13, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So:

5. If you're talking to several different women at the same time, keep index cards for the different women so you don't confuse them all when you're messaging/texting/meeting up.

6. Move away from messaging to texting as soon as you can comfortably do so. Internal messaging is long and tedious and doesn't allow you to show any personality. After the first few basic back and forth intro messages, include your phone number and suggest they text you if it works better for them. Now you get to show off some of your sarcasm and wit.

7. If all their pictures are headshots, they're overweight.
Old 05-23-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
5. If you're talking to several different women at the same time, keep index cards for the different women so you don't confuse them all when you're messaging/texting/meeting up.

6. Move away from messaging to texting as soon as you can comfortably do so. Internal messaging is long and tedious and doesn't allow you to show any personality. After the first few basic back and forth intro messages, include your phone number and suggest they text you if it works better for them. Now you get to show off some of your sarcasm and wit.

7. If all their pictures are headshots, they're overweight.

I agree about your segueing into texting/phone game as opposed to sticking to penpal online. I usually shoot 3-4 messages (assuming she's already been hooked with my opener) and then my final message will be for her to give me her digits. I also don't message more than 2 times a day (if that), because I'm generally busy (and if I'm not I just pretend), because if you're always available you will look like you have nothing going on for yourself.

Also if they use descriptions like "curvy" then they're fatties. If they also refer to themselves as "foodies" then they're also probably fatties.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.