My new neighbors won't let anyone park in front of their house

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 02-08-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

I just bought a house (see Thermostat thread) and I love it. But it came with one big problem: The neighbors across the street are nuts. I parked in front of their house and the husband very rudely told me "What's the matter with your side?" So even though he's a nut I told him "fine, I won't park in front of your house." But now he approaches my guests and visitors who park there and bugs them. He has twice approached my mother in law who parks there for 10 minutes at a time to pick up my 2 year old daughter. On Saturday I blew up at his wife who came marching out to ask us to move the car while I'm instaling the car seat in my mother in laws car and putting my daughter into her car seat.

What is up with people like this? And what can be done?
Old 02-08-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My new neighbors won't let anyone park in front of their house

Sounds like he is taking things way to seriously, but yeah, it is annoying when someone parks in front of your house.

Next time, park on your own side.
Old 02-08-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They really can't do anything if it is a public street so tell them to fuck off.
Old 02-08-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you and your guests are parking across the street in front of their house while you have open spots in front of yours (or your driveway), than you are a jackass.

If everything is full in front of your house and the only spots are in front of his, tell them to go to hell.
Old 02-08-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess if I lived in a crowded neighborhood where parking is at a premium and a neighbor kept parking in front of my house overnight, I'd probably get irritated. Especially if I needed the space and they had extra cars.

However, if a neighbor's parking in front of my house for ten minutes (or even a couple of hours) in the middle of the day, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I don't understand people who have absolutely zero patience/tolerance for other people who move into crowded areas.

Last edited by Hiro11; 02-08-10 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-08-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly View Post
If you and your guests are parking across the street in front of their house while you have open spots in front of yours (or your driveway), than you are a jackass.

If everything is full in front of your house and the only spots are in front of his, tell them to go to hell.
While I have a feeling that this would make more sense if we saw the layout of your house compared to his, I have to agree with dan here. Parking in front of another person's home (barring other special circumstances such as making room for a truck to back out or something like that) should only happen once the spots in front of your own home and in your driveway have been exhausted.

Sounds like your neighbor may be a dick and the law is probably on your side, but he hasn't really broken it either. Do you really want to get into a feud with your new neighbor over something as petty as this?
Old 02-08-10, 11:34 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a neighbor like this years ago. He didn't like me parking on a side street ACROSS from his house because I came home late and apparently was too loud for him (normal getting out of the car sounds). He was yelling about it and telling me to park someplace else. I calmly stated "Well, this is a public street. Let's call the cops and get their opinion." He backed down immediately.

I kept parking there, but about a week later one of my headlights was "mysteriously" broken.
Old 02-08-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

People get mad when they move to the suburbs to control every aspect of their lives and are subsequently reminded that other people exist.
Old 02-08-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Your neighbor's vision is as true for him as your own vision is true for you." - Miguel de Unamuno
Old 02-08-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
People get mad when they move to the suburbs to control every aspect of their lives and are subsequently reminded that other people exist.
Glad everyone who lives in apartments in the city are always great neighbors.
Old 02-08-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how many cars does your driveway hold?
Old 02-08-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To clarify: This is not a busy street or busy neighborhood there are parking spaces all over both sides of the street. There are no driveways, the houses (both his and mine) are on alleys and the garages are in back. I have a 3 car garage and ever since our rude encounter I don't park in front of his house (BTW, what kind of nut makes rude comments about parking upon meeting their new neighbor for the very first time), but my guests sometimes do. I can't monitor where my guests park. Then when my guests leave they get accosted by this guy.

The biggest problem is that his behavior reflects badly on the neighborhood. I just moved in. The people who are visiting me are visiting the neighborhood for the first time and they come away thinking I live in a shitty neighborhood with rude neighbors. It really takes the wind of my sails when I just spent a fortune to buy this house.

Last edited by Mabuse; 02-08-10 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-08-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 93 Posts

Patented Lunatikk Advice:

Go over to his house in the middle of the night and burn the place to the ground with everyone in it.

Then park your car in front of the smoking wreckage before the fire department gets there.

And refuse to move it.
Old 02-08-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

not parking in front of a neighbor's house is a courtesy.

in HS, I never cared where i park, but now I understand why.

It does get annoying when you see a car that is not yours in front of your house. It pisses me of more, when the neighbor parks in my spot.

(same feeling when you go to a class room and someone sits in your spot, that you have been sitting in for the past half of the semester.)
Old 02-08-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Im on board with 'its rude to park in front of your neighbors house, if there are other options'

not sure which is worse.. parking in front of the neighbors.. or going out and bugging peoples guest, that have been parked in front of your house..

i would say parking in front of the neighbors house is the more rude of the 2..

so yea.. you see it that your friends are coming in and being pestered and think you live in a shitty area with rude neighbors.. meanwhile, your neighbors see you as the rude neighbor.
Old 02-08-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
it is annoying when someone parks in front of your house.
Please enlighten me. What is annoying about it? I really don't understand this guy's beef. He has a garage. There are parking spots all over the street. I don't drive a Mac truck or anything unsightly or large. Why would you or anyone give a fuck?
Old 02-08-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I can't monitor where my guests park. Then when my guests leave they get accosted by this guy.
But if you're expecting them then you can tell them ahead of time not to park in front of the guy's house. Or, perhaps the guy is more pissed at the fact that people are just helping themselves to the space(s) in front of his casa. After all, who's to say he isn't expecting company? It's possible he'd be a lot more accommodating if you were a little more polite and gave him a heads up and asked if it was okay. Of course, this assumes that there are absolutely no available spaces in front of your house and no overflow parking within reasonable walking distance.

Last edited by Vipper II; 02-08-10 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Please enlighten me. What is annoying about it? I really don't understand this guy's beef. He has a garage. There are parking spots all over the street. I don't drive a Mac truck or anything unsightly or large. Why would you or anyone give a fuck?

What if HE has guests over. Why should they have to park a block away or even in front of someone else's house just because you or your guests are parked in front of his. Then his guests have to park in front of someone else's house. Therein starts the vicious circle. Tell your guests to park further away if your spaces in front of your house are taken, your guests need to walk if they are visiting, not forcing his to walk if he has company. It is his house after all
Old 02-08-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't think of the last time I visited a friend's house and parked directly in front of his house. It doesn't happen often whether it's a busy street or not. I just park somewhere close. You guys park directly in front of the house you are visiting?
Old 02-08-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tell your guests to park in front of your house or on the same side of the street as your house. Problem solved.
Old 02-08-10, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

We have a neighbor across the street that parks in front of our mailbox quite often. It is very annoying.
Old 02-08-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't think of the last time I visited a friend's house and parked directly in front of his house. It doesn't happen often whether it's a busy street or not. I just park somewhere close. You guys park directly in front of the house you are visiting?
How would you feel if the situations were reversed, and all your company had to park somewhere else because that ass across the street parking there or not telling his friends not to park in front of your house?

Wouldn't you be quite pissed also? You cannot convince me that you would not. You would be just as hot as he is about it.
Old 02-08-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

This is so strange...maybe out in the boonies street spots belong to the home owner, but Jesus, where I live you grab any fucking spot you can
Old 02-08-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A lot has to deal with the neighbor hood...

if it's empty most of the time, like mine, guests should park as close to host's house, then overspill to neighbor's area.

if it's packed street/apt area, first come, first serve.
Old 02-08-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Patented Lunatikk Advice:

Go over to his house in the middle of the night and burn the place to the ground with everyone in it.

Then park your car in front of the smoking wreckage before the fire department gets there.

And refuse to move it.
That's kind of... excessive.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.