Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Can you cash out rebate Visa debit cards?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-26-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, i have some rebate Visa debit cards. is there any way to cash it out?
Old 01-26-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Can you cash out rebate Visa debit cards?

ebay
Old 01-27-10, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Or on your favorite products at quality retailers that accept Visa.

You can sell them on eBay as previously mentioned but don't expect to end up with face value even before the fees, etc. kick in. So pennies on the dolla', my friend.
Old 01-30-10, 01:12 AM

I don't know if this is true; I was chatting with someone about how Verizon now gives you a prepaid debit card instead of a rebate check. He said you can take that card to the bank and cash it out.
Old 01-30-10, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
I don't know if this is true; I was chatting with someone about how Verizon now gives you a prepaid debit card instead of a rebate check. He said you can take that card to the bank and cash it out.
what is it with you and Verizon?

anyways, what i did was I just used the Visa debit cards to pay off my cell phone bill. i used $85 so far, and should be getting over $100 more in rebate Visa cards if all goes well. it's just so much less hassle to pay my phone bill than to have to keep the card and calculate how much is left or remember to use it. of course, by the time i'm done, i'm not sure how negative my Verizon phone bill will get.

btw, apparently, you can do a cash advance on some cards, but it seems to be a pain, esp. if i bring in like 10 rebate cards and ask them to cash it!

http://www.bargainshare.com/lofivers...p/t161390.html
Old 01-30-10, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
anyways, what i did was I just used the Visa debit cards to pay off my cell phone bill. i used $85 so far, and should be getting over $100 more in rebate Visa cards if all goes well. it's just so much less hassle to pay my phone bill than to have to keep the card and calculate how much is left or remember to use it. of course, by the time i'm done, i'm not sure how negative my Verizon phone bill will get.

btw, apparently, you can do a cash advance on some cards, but it seems to be a pain, esp. if i bring in like 10 rebate cards and ask them to cash it!

http://www.bargainshare.com/lofivers...p/t161390.html
paying off the bill with the prepaid debit card ... Thank you, hopefully other bills can be paid with a prepaid debit card. But then that raises another question for me .. Will that work when the billing party does not accept a credit card, i.e. is the prepaid debit card accepted only by billing parties that accept cards with the visa or mastercard logo ?

That link was really great; I saved a copy. I was impressed by the meticulousness of that poster's experiment.

Concerning what he posted ...

"*Note* For doing VISA cash advances from rebate cards - The bank teller has to use the CC machine with the keypad on it. It takes a lot of keypad inputs to put the charge through as a VISA cash advance, if they just slide the card through and enter an amount it will not be approved"

So, you can cash out the card ... only when it's processed as a cash advance and only if you luck out and get one of the bank tellers who just happens to know how to specially key it in. Hmmm.. I think it'd take too many factors being in my favor for me to try that. I wonder if there's a fee involved if this is being processed as a "cash advance".

what is it with you and Verizon?
lol ... Since I was faced with having $ 100 in a prepaid gift card if I bought two phones for my family, I didn't want to be stuck with a bunch of incidents of clerks paging a supervisor to figure out how to apply the cards while a line of glowering customers stood behind me.

BTW, if you still own any other Verizon phones, you probably shouldn't try switching from your Choc Touch to one of your other phones and then back to your Choc Touch. According to discussions on other forums, in that scenario it's looking like Verizon's system would try to force you to add on the data plan even though you bought your phone and activated it prior to the 18th.

Last edited by Matt_; 01-30-10 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-30-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

thanks for the tips. i also heard that some cards (like the Norton), if you call the # on the back of the card, they can send you a check. of course, that'd mean i'd have to go to the bank to cash it, and i hate going to the bank, but some prefer that option. a lot of debit cards these days are Visa/MC. My bank "upgraded" my atm card to a atm/debit card. i called and had them "downgrade" it to an atm card so as to have a lower risk (i.e. caps on widthdrawls a day, need pin).

From the FAQ, this rebate card is essentially a Visa CC, but for technical purposes, called a Debit card. So, if the creditor accepts CC's, then you'll be fine. if not, then it probably would not work. be careful though, some places will take CCs but will charge a service charge. i tried to pay some utilities and taxes with my CC, they allowed me to do so, but with a service charge, so i just paid with an e-check instead.

Personally, i won't be doing the cash advance thing at the bank. it seems like way too much hassle, esp if i come in there with like 10 rebate debit cards...the teller won't be happy and it is a major pain for them, and if they don't do it correctly...major waste of your time.

why didn't you buy the phones online? they come with instant rebate instead of mail in rebate. price is the same in store and online, so really, i'd rather order online and not deal with the hassle of the rebate gc (visa?). i ordered it online, and they sent it next day service free. some delays with a lazy FedEX guy, but that's not Verizon's fault.

btw, with regards to the phone, i got three 3G multimedia phones (one being the choc touch), and bought them online on 1/17,but activated it a few days later (past 1/18 for sure), and they insisted on charging me a $10 data plan per line, which would be an additional $30/mo! i complained because i said when i signed up on the website, it did list the monthly fees, and there were no data plan costs, and i said i specifically chose the phone because they have no data plan. after trying to persuade him, he basically said it's the system, and there's nothing he can do, there's no way around it, but that i could return the phones if i wanted to. i then asked to speak to the manager, so he puts me on hold, few minutes later, didn't even get to speak to the manager, but he said the manager told him how to process it. haha! perseverance and escalating to manager paid off! i got lucky because i bought it before 1/18, and that their web system clearly stated no data fees when i ordered. so there is away around the system that requires activation before 1/18 (whether or not they'd do it is a different story).

btw, i'm loving the choc touch. has some quirks with the touch screen, but overall, really great phone, for something that doesn't require a data plan.

Why is the word "Debit" on the front of the card?
In response to Visa and MasterCard regulations, Issuers are required to label non-credit
products with the term “Debit” after January 1, 2004. Although your card may have the
word debit on it, please remember to push credit and sign for purchases to indicate you
authorize your transaction.

Can I withdrawal cash?
Your card is a stored value card. You can use it to purchase goods and services, but there
is no cash access. You will not be able to use your card for cash equivalent transactions.
What is an "Account Maintenance" fee?
Subject to applicable law, a monthly maintenance fee of $3 (USD) applies, but is waived
for the first six months after the card is issued. No additional fees will be assessed once
the card balance reaches zero. For a complete list of fees associated with your card,
please refer to the Fee Schedule in the Cardholder Agreement.
The rest of the faq can be read here:

https://www.fsvsecurecard.com/fsv/we...l.pdf#zoom=100
Old 01-31-10, 03:48 PM

I'd attempt to sell on Ebay or Craigslist, but in my experience you'll never be able to get cash back from the company that gave them too you.

There's often a "no cash value" disclaimer on the card itself or on the accompanying literature.
Old 01-31-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i'd pass on the ebay thing...there are enough YEATs out there to scare me away.
Old 01-31-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The easiest thing to do is use it to pay for gas but only when you're buying more gas than the value of the card. That way you're not left with change that you have to keep track of.

You could also use that technique at stores that take gift cards as payment because their registers are set up to accept multiple types of payments on one transaction.

Last edited by GMan2819; 01-31-10 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cards are useless. I'd order stuff online but no one seems to accept dual tender. I tried ordering a $50 Amazon gift certificate with a $50 Visa card and it got declined. I have no idea how these lame cards work.
Old 02-02-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
The easiest thing to do is use it to pay for gas but only when you're buying more gas than the value of the card. That way you're not left with change that you have to keep track of.

You could also use that technique at stores that take gift cards as payment because their registers are set up to accept multiple types of payments on one transaction.
The last time I had one, I could not use it to pay at the pump. Most pumps ask for a zip code in order to autherize the transaction
Old 02-02-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I tried ordering a $50 Amazon gift certificate with a $50 Visa card and it got declined. I have no idea how these lame cards work.
I've used them for Amazon GC's in the past. Some of these stupid things you have to activate by calling or online before you can buy something online with them.

I hate hate hate hate hate these cards. Hate.
Old 02-02-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
The last time I had one, I could not use it to pay at the pump. Most pumps ask for a zip code in order to autherize the transaction
Yeah, it doesn't work at the pump. The instructions that come with the card usually say you're supposed to have the cashier swipe the card.
Old 02-03-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
Yeah, it doesn't work at the pump. The instructions that come with the card usually say you're supposed to have the cashier swipe the card.
yup. gotta go inside and pay cashier for gas. the problem is, some of these cards are more than what i would use in one fill-up, and i don't want to have to worry about keeping track of what's left on the card.
Old 09-08-10, 02:48 PM

i'd pass on the ebay thing...there are enough YEATs out there to scare me away.
Pardon the thread resurrection, but what the hell is a YEAT? Google only turned up a poet and some pre-WWII expression.
Old 09-08-10, 02:54 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I hate these too. Whenever I end up with one I always just regift the fucking thing. It's the fruitcake of the 21st century!
Old 09-08-10, 03:05 PM

You can give them to me. I never have issues with rebate cards. If there's an online bill I want to pay, I simply use the card for groceries or other such expenses and then just shift my money around to pay that bill.
Old 09-08-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by HEAT84 View Post
Pardon the thread resurrection, but what the hell is a YEAT? Google only turned up a poet and some pre-WWII expression.
I think he actually meant YAET which is an acronym used among the forums meaning:

Yet Another ebay Thread.

Members often preface a thread title with YAET: "specific issue".
Old 09-08-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

No, he definitely means YEAT.
Old 09-08-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shop at a place like Whole Foods, I dropped $100+...problem solved!

Old 09-08-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HEAT84 View Post
as i stated years ago, YEAT = yet ebay, another thread

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...-hijacked.html
Old 09-08-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

speaking of which, i just got another one from the free ar keyboard i got, gotta remember to use it.
Old 09-08-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Xbox69 View Post
I think he actually meant YAET which is an acronym used among the forums meaning:

Yet Another ebay Thread.

Members often preface a thread title with YAET: "specific issue".
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
No, he definitely means YEAT.
What emanon said. It's been an Otter thing for awhile. Take better notes next time
Old 09-09-10, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've gone inside to a bank and asked for a cash advance for the balance off of some of these before. I believe now that some cards won't let you do it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.