Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Dennis Hopper on death bed and getting a Divorce after 14 year Marriage [UPDATE:DEAD]

Other Talk "Otterville"

Dennis Hopper on death bed and getting a Divorce after 14 year Marriage [UPDATE:DEAD]

Old 01-24-10, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not usually into this sort of Hollywood 'Stories' garbage, but this was the first I heard that Dennis has advanced Prostate Cancer, that it's traveled to his bones, has like a month to live, and with all that going on...getting a Divorce of all things!

On October 29, 2009, Hopper's manager reported that Hopper has been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer. In January 2010, it was reported that Hopper's cancer had spread to his bones and he is believed to have only a month to live. On January 14, 2010, he filed for divorce from his fifth wife Victoria Duffy.

Link

The Drama Behind Dennis Hopper's Divorce

By Mike Ryan Posted Jan 22nd 2010 03:55PM

Link

There was always something comforting about having a healthy and vibrant Dennis Hopper in the world. Our thoughts are with the 'Easy Rider' and 'Apocalypse Now' star as he struggles with prostate cancer but, yes, there was always that voice inside our head the morning after a late night out saying, "Yes, your head hurts right now, but if Dennis Hopper is still alive and healthy, really, what damage could you have possibly done to yourself in comparison?" And then we would feel peace with the world. We were shocked to learn that the health of Hopper -- whose hard living lifestyle was only overshadowed by his contribution to cinema; featured in more than 150 films and documentaries -- has deteriorated enough that some outlets are reporting him to be on his "death bed." Even more shocking, though, is the fact that he filed for a divorce from his wife of 14 years, Victoria Duffy-Hopper, while on said "death bed."

What's at stake that would cause this swift and seemingly random chain of events? This is Hollywood people -- it's money. Let's look at the cast of characters involved in this sad and tragic drama that's unfolding in front of our eyes.

Dennis Hopper:

Unfortunately, as reported, he is terminally ill with prostate cancer. His filling for divorce citing "irreconcilable differences" isn't, again unfortunately, going to be a long time concern. Hopper does have a daughter with Duffy, six-year-old Galen. It's not likely this move is in anyway to protect her, considering access to his estate will only be made more difficult if a divorce between Hopper and Duffy is made final. Also, have you ever been in the difficult situation of being around someone who is terminally ill this far along? This is the part where we remind you that we are not a doctor, but, we will spare you because, well, that's obvious. But, did they seem like someone who had the cognitive ability to make a rational decision as important enough as, "You know, I would like a divorce." Now, Hopper is definitely a unique man, but usually a time like this brings forgiveness and people become closer, not the opposite. This doesn't really add up. Without question, the reason behind this move is money. That's obvious. But who looks to gain what?

Victoria Duffy-Hopper:

Dennis Hopper's current wife. The Huffington Post is reporting that Duffy will get 25 percent of Hopper's estate as long as the divorce doesn't go through. If it does, she and their daughter get nothing. Now, keep in mind: Duffy is Hopper's fifth wife, but she has been with Hopper for 14 years. This isn't someone who latched on to him right when it was announced he was ill. The New York Post reports a family friend recalling Hopper complaining that Victoria just wanted "more and more luxury." Look, it would be extremely difficult to paint her as a gold digger; 14 years is a really long time and 25 percent of an estate seems, if anything, unfair to her considering the length of their marriage. So, we don't think that's plausible and even if it was, she's more than earned it! So, this leaves us with...

Marin Hopper:

Dennis Hopper's oldest daughter -- seven years older than Duffy. A daughter that, as again The Huffington Post reports, was living for free at Dennis Hopper's estate and made a living setting up personal appearances for him. She recently became executor of his will. It's not clear what, exactly, Marin will gain financially by shutting out Duffy. Though, by multiple accounts, Marin Hopper and Duffy were far from close. Is she pulling the strings for the reportedly highly medicated actor? Who's to say for sure? Does she have the most to gain from doing this? "It's so horrible, Dennis is at home, Victoria and Galen are living there as well, and Marin is pulling her father out of his bed and driving him to the divorce lawyers. The poor guy has no idea what is going on ... Even his lawyers are telling people he is on painkillers and is essentially sleeping all the time," a Huffington Post source says. Again, it seems unlikely Dennis Hopper is in any condition to start, or even request, a legal proceding.

"Marin has always hated Victoria ... If she can get her father to reject Victoria on his deathbed, and get more money in the process, she'll be the happiest woman in Los Angeles," according to the HuffPo source.

It's always a sad affair when a public figure can't at least have some peace in his final days. Unfortunately, when we think of Dennis Hopper, this story will always be the exclamation point on his long and illustrious life and career. It appears, maybe, to some, if true, tarnishing a man's legacy is worth the price of a fortune. There was something odd about this story from the moment it broke and, from the reports that are materializing, things are starting to make a little bit more sense. Though, digging deeper into this sordid affair, it doesn't make it any less rotten.

I've always had a certain fondness for Dennis, and to hear about his life ending on such a blasted bitter note at the hands of slobs, just pisses me off.

There's nothing quite like feeling helpless.

-Paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 01-24-10 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-24-10, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Dennis Hopper on death bed and getting a Divorce after 14 year Marriage

Yeah, it sucks. I hadn't heard that his wife got nothing if the divorce went through. I had heard that if she is his wife when he dies, she can contest the will, which leaves her 25%. If they aren't divorced, she could try to get 100% of the estate and that's what he doesn't want. Seems like 25% of his estate, plus property and everything should be plenty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...er-estate.html

It's really sad that his last memories of his family will be of bickering and fighting over money. I wonder what Hopper is even worth? He's had some great roles, but I'm not sure they were high paying roles.
Old 01-24-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I really enjoy seeing him in movies, so I'm not really thrilled with how his life is playing out.
Old 01-24-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I really enjoy seeing him in movies, so I'm not really thrilled with how his life is playing out.
I tend to think how you finish life is the most important, sadly not everyone finishes well. I guess a question I would ask Mr. Hopper is, "was your art worth the cost?"
Old 01-24-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
I tend to think how you finish life is the most important, sadly not everyone finishes well.
From the folks I've known who have passed away in my life (and there have been quite a few over the years), many, if not all of their lives at the end didn't turn out the way they had wished or thought it would have.

My Mom for instance sadly wasn't very happy at the end.

I can't say with any certainty that my own life won't end up that way.
Old 01-24-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess a question I would ask Mr. Hopper is, "was your art worth the cost?"
What do you mean by this?
Old 01-25-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is a sad story, I have always liked Dennis Hopper, I wish him peace in his last days, and if what they say is true about the older daughter she should burn in hell.
Old 01-25-10, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

... "was your art worth the cost?"
What cost? Acting didn't give him prostate cancer.

By the way, this is the first I heard of Hopper being on his death bed, I wonder if the cancer has made him go paranoid?
Old 01-25-10, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by The Edit King View Post
I can't say with any certainty that my own life won't end up that way.
Yes you can. It's not about the variables that life may throw you, but how you respond, the choices you make.

To answer the others, just having read a bit about him, it's fair to say he lead a pretty wild life... and an article I read made it seem it was all in the name of his work. Well, our work/career is great, but that's not the most important thing we should leave behind.
Old 01-25-10, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...-hospital.html
Old 01-25-10, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,228 Likes on 879 Posts

Burn in hell, indeed.

Horrible, revolting people.
Old 01-25-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes you can. It's not about the variables that life may throw you, but how you respond, the choices you make.

To answer the others, just having read a bit about him, it's fair to say he lead a pretty wild life... and an article I read made it seem it was all in the name of his work. Well, our work/career is great, but that's not the most important thing we should leave behind.
Still making no sense
Old 01-25-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I simply cannot understand how someone can suddenly be diagnosed with "<i>advanced</i> prostate cancer" when there is a simple test that can catch this disease in its earliest - and treatable - stages. Every male should have regular PSA tests (a blood sample does it)!
Old 01-25-10, 10:03 AM
gamer for life

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post
What do you mean by this?
I am laughing wondering the same thing...
Old 01-25-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
I simply cannot understand how someone can suddenly be diagnosed with "<i>advanced</i> prostate cancer" when there is a simple test that can catch this disease in its earliest - and treatable - stages. Every male should have regular PSA tests (a blood sample does it)!
It's not nearly as simple as that. There's not a single major health organization that recommends routine testing for prostate cancer. The test is not 100% accurate and it does not distinguish between cancers that need to be treated and cancers that could be safely left untreated. That can result in patients undergoing costly and uncomfortable treatments for no reason.
Old 01-25-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hear what you're saying, Lemmy.

Dennis Hopper isn't on the top of any of my lists, however, I've also enjoyed films he's appeared in (from WAY back, in the B&W days, before I even knew he was an actor), but I suppose for one reason or another, and I'm not exactly sure why, I've always felt sorry for him. Then, when I stumbled on the story just last night, and hearing all of a sudden (as it were, to 'me' anyway) that he was so sick and actually dying (not to mention, being taken advantage of in his ultimate weakness, at the end of his life), just hit me kinda hard.

-Paulino

Last edited by The Edit King; 01-25-10 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks. I Am feeling a bit better now.

...well I WAS!!!

(The below post content has been spoilerized in an attempt to respect the seriousness of the Dennis Hopper situation for his fans out there.)

Spoiler:

Don't get me started on the Beatles!

TOO LATE!!!

I was a TOTAL BEATLE FREAK when I was nothing more than a young & tender spud. I had tons of Beatle records (including the Imports, Bootlegs, and those nothing less than Bitchin' Japanese Mono Albums), a very cool Beatles' record player, cases of unopened bubble gum cards (...except for the ones I opened to eat the ancient, powdery, King Tut's crotch-tasting gum), lunch boxes, posters, pins, trays, toys, magazines, books, you name it! HECK! I even had a BEATLES' TOILET SEAT, FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!

You know...I can remember actually getting into arguments and near fist fights in elementary school over anyone saying they weren't the 'GREATEST GROUP EVER!!!'

...and that was all fine and good, well, until I grew up a little, only to realise that they weren't really, 'Super Duper Lads', but just 4 mere stinkin' human beings after all.
-Pablito Tres

Last edited by The Edit King; 01-25-10 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No wonder I haven't seem DH doing the direct tv NFL commercials anymore.
Old 01-25-10, 04:14 PM

I'm gonna be sad to see him go. Hopper has always been one of my favorite actors.
Old 01-25-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like his wife is telling her side of the story now of what is going on. It appears it is going to get very messy at a time you would think he would be trying to go out with some dignity.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/25/dennis...child-support/

Hopper's Wife: He Smokes Pot in Front of Our Kid

Posted Jan 25th 2010 5:00PM by TMZ Staff

Dennis HopperDennis Hopper allegedly smokes pot in front of his six-year-old daughter and once threatened to kill his soon-to-be ex-wife ... this according to legal docs in the couple's divorce.

Victoria Hopper has had legal papers drafted in an attempt to get custody of the couple's daughter, Galen, plus child and spousal support.

In the docs, Victoria claims Dennis is very sick from his battle with prostate cancer and has been smoking medicinal marijuana ... sometimes in front of Galen.

Victoria also claims Dennis "threatened to 'end' [Victoria] if [she] ever tried to leave him" and that he has left loaded weapons -- including a pistol and a shotgun -- within reach of Galen.

Victoria also claims in the documents, obtained by The Daily Beast, that Dennis has told her he doesn't actually want to get a divorce -- and that she believes his family members are controlling him in order to cut her out financially.

A lot more information located at the following link.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...ast:mainpromo1
Old 01-25-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

R.I.P., Mr. Hopper.
Old 01-26-10, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He's not dead yet right? Wouldn't yahoo or tmz mention it if he had passed by now?
Old 01-26-10, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, assuming his divorce petition was filed in California, he has to wait six months before it can become final (statutory waiting period) so he may not survive to (divorce) judgment day. His wife would still have community property rights, as well as rights of election under the California probate code (subject to whatever prenuptial agreement they may have executed). Maybe Hopper just wants to send his wife a message by filing at the last hour.
Old 01-26-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel sorry for his youngest daughter. Only 6??? Man, his prostate may not work but his sperm sure do!
Old 01-26-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a sad cinematic world when Dennis Hopper is no longer in it. Sucks hearing all of this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.