Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Craft Beer Bars in LA?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Craft Beer Bars in LA?

Old 01-14-10, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Craft Beer Bars in LA?

I live in Manhattan and I've been going crazy over the last couple years over all of the great craft beer bars in NYC. I've noticed there are many tiers of bars here - some bars have 20 beers on tap but have no real rotation and other than a beer or two a month, you get the same thing all the time. I mean, instead of the normal whoop-di-doo Bud Lite/Stella/Guinness/Brooklyn/Sierra Nevada lineup, you'll get a few bars that will throw a Magic Hat #9 or Blue Point into the mix.

But places like The Pony Bar, Rattle 'N' Hum, and The Ginger Man have really brought true diversity into the city with amazing rotating selections of craft beers.

I'm going out to LA at the end of the month and while I have a list of breweries as long as my arm, I don't know of any great craft beer bars in LA. Does anyone know what the standard bearers are for craft beer bars in LA? The farther west the better???
Old 01-15-10, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Craft Beer Bars in LA?

Are you just looking for local craft brews, or bars that have great beer selections in general? Are you more concerned with it being a bar, instead of a bar restaurant combo with great beer?

I"ll stick to my favs on the West Side. If you want recommendations for Hollywood and other points East, let me know.

Father's Office - Usually gets pretty crowded. They are famous for their burger and sweet potato fries and also their large amount of different beers. Kind of a not very informative website. They have 2 locations. I can only vouch for the Santa Monica location but I'm sure the Culver City one is nice too.
http://www.fathersoffice.com/

Library Alehouse in Santa Monica
A restaurant as much as a bar and while not a massive list of beer, they have lots of my favorite California Beers. It's also located on a street that has lots of other bars and places to grub at night.
http://www.libraryalehouse.com/beer.php
Anything from Stone or Anderson Valley breweries is top notch.

3rd Stop - I used to go here a lot but haven't been there in a few years. They always had quality beers and a good happy hour. They rotate things pretty quickly so it's hard to know what they will have, but you can count on good stuff. I can't find a homepage for them listing their beers.
http://www.sneakysunday.com/los-ange...tion/3rd-stop/

Some people will scoff at the idea of going to the Yardhouse, since it's a chain restaurant, but you really can't beat their beer selection. They advertise to have "the largest selection of beers on tap" and they might be right. They usually have windows to the keg room which is astounding. And I've had a good time at the bar even though I'm more of a dive bar kinda guy.
http://www.yardhouse.com/beer.asp

There are some really great places just south of LA in the beach communities. Not great "bars" in the sense that I think you're looking for. But there's something to be said for having great beer near the beach, breathing in the salt air on a crisp Los Angeles Winter 70 degree day.
Simmzys is awesome, but it's a bit south in Manhattan Beach, but if you find yourself in the South Bay, perhaps coming back from a daytrip down south to Stone Brewery(which you NEED to do), you gotta stop here. Great beers. Stuff on tap I haven't seen in any other bar.
http://www.simmzys.com/pub/beer

And if you're already down there, may as well stop by here too. Another great spot. I only wish it was closer.
http://www.najasplace.com/DraftMenu.html

Finally, my favorite bar in Los Angeles. Unpretentious and laid back and I know I can always get a Stone IPA on draft. Not a huge craft beer selection, perse, but a good solid beer list. Stone IPA, Green Flash Hop Head Red, Leffe.... Also a very impressive bottled Belgian selection and perhaps the largest selection of whiskey and scotch in Los Angeles.
http://thedailypint.net/beer/beer-on-tap/

Maybe I'll see you there

If you need more, I can dig a little deeper, but those are the few that come to mind as far as good draft selections.

Last edited by monkeyboy; 01-15-10 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-17-10, 05:57 PM

Wow, amazing response - thanks so much for the leads! I may very well see you at The Daily Pint - it looks fantastic. Thanks again!
Old 01-17-10, 06:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll second Father's Office, they have a good selection of drinks. Go to Culver City and avoid the crowding and aural damage of the Santa Monica location.

Also BJ's, a deep dish pizza place in Westwood, offers their own brews.

If you find yourself a little further south, Stone Brewery in Encinitas is great.
Old 01-17-10, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by burgeon View Post
Wow, amazing response - thanks so much for the leads! I may very well see you at The Daily Pint - it looks fantastic. Thanks again!
No problem. I'm always happy to hook up a fellow beer lover.
Old 01-17-10, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
If you find yourself a little further south, Stone Brewery in Encinitas is great.
I just had an Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale tonight at Peculier on Bleecker (bottle). Never had a bad beer from Stone - check out the Stone/BrewDog Bashah, a black double Belgian IPA - just had it last week at The Pony Bar in Hell's Kitchen - unforgettable beer. I'd love to make it down to Stone for a tour if time allows...
Old 01-17-10, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by burgeon View Post
I just had an Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale tonight at Peculier on Bleecker (bottle). Never had a bad beer from Stone - check out the Stone/BrewDog Bashah, a black double Belgian IPA - just had it last week at The Pony Bar in Hell's Kitchen - unforgettable beer. I'd love to make it down to Stone for a tour if time allows...
I'll have to check that out. Never heard of it. As I've said their regular IPA is the best I've ever had. So I imagine a double belgian would be pretty wicked.
Old 01-17-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're in the pasadena area i would recommend lucky baldwins. More of a dive, their food is not so good but they have damn fine selection of beers.

Delerium, chimay, piraat, all sorts of good stuff to be had there. They have two locations: Pasadena and sierra madrewww.luckybaldwins.com. At the sierra madre store they have a little store to so you can take some home but be careful of the cops as they come late and are looking for retards who're gonna drive home.