Eighteen People You're Scared Of on Facebook

Old 01-28-10, 12:59 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Eighteen People You're Scared Of on Facebook

Old 01-29-10, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know someone who put up a facebook profile for his dog. Damn dog has more friends than I do.
Old 01-29-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan View Post
I think you described 20% of otterville.

Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
I have one friend from high school who I keep on my list solely for the entertainment value. She posts absolutely everything about her life - no filter. Rants about her ex, naked tanning, money problems, you name it. It is like a white trash soap opera.
I have friends like that, too. Some of them, I know FAR too much about how their divorces/custody-battles/ex-problems are going than I want to, thanks...

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
I know someone who put up a facebook profile for his dog. Damn dog has more friends than I do.
I have a friend who put up a "fan page" for her dog, BECAUSE so many of her friends requested it! Who gives a rats hiney what the DOG is up to, every day??

Old 01-29-10, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

Received 298 Likes on 208 Posts

Thank god they don't allow smileys in facebook status posts.
Old 01-29-10, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Well, problems with apps can be attributed to the app developers and the people who use them. And some of the apps do add good functionality (maybe 1 in 1000 )

My beef with Facebook is that it's all upbeat and positive. As somebody said, there's no "Dislike" button. Normally when friends get together, nobody's afraid to debate. But that doesn't seem to happen in most Facebook interactions. It's weird and unnatural.
Huh, you should have seen the debates that went on via status message updates and comments after the last presidential election. I'm part of a large-ish group (40 or more members) with a life-connection in common, but with a WIDE variance on the political spectrum, so we had status messages ranging from "Thank GOD, we are SAVED!" to "God has left the country" (the one that personally made me ). Perhaps you would be surprised, but the comments on those were definitely not averse to debate... to the point that some people are still peeved over aspects of it.

Old 01-29-10, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Thank god they don't allow smileys in facebook status posts.
Not true, they do allow little hearts. <3 becomes a little heart smiley thing.

Old 01-29-10, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
That's just not true. People move away and simply lose contact, especially during the days before everyone had email addresses or social networking accounts. Some of the friends that I was able to get in touch with (or they got in touch with me) either on MySpace or Facebook were people I would do a Google search for on occasion and could not find. Not everyone is that visible on the Internet. Some people don't have traditional phone lines and aren't listed in many directories. Women get married and change their last names. Sometimes you might be looking for them in one place and they moved. Plus, I've never been good at last names. That doesn't diminish the friendship, just my ability to find them if we lose contact....

The point is that the connection doesn't have to be unmeaningful, although I acknowledge that it frequently can be. But I'll take all of that unmeaningful chit-chat if it made it possible for me to truly reconnect with some people that I really care about.
DEFINITELY true. That even goes true with family: I have cousins who grew up across the country, so I met them in person perhaps a couple of times in my life. Maybe we exchanged Christmas cards, but I didn't feel like I knew them well enough to call them up and have a chat. Through aunts and mutual family, they have "friended" me on FB and we started with reading each other's status messages, sharing pics of families/kids, and now we have actual meaningful conversations, because FB allowed us to GET to know each other. Now we're planning a big family reunion, which will not be awkward like it could have been once upon a time, because we feel like we know each other, which I couldn't have said a year ago.

Like clckworang said, there is meaningless FB chitchat, but I don't mind that, there is a place in life for lighthearted conversation. Regardless of that, I wouldn't trade the real, genuine connections on FB for anything... wading through idle chit-chat is worth it.

Old 01-29-10, 03:24 PM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by shoppingbear View Post
Not true, they do allow little hearts. <3 becomes a little heart smiley thing.
I wondered how people were doing those. Not enough to, you know, ask, but thanks anyway.
Old 01-29-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Hmm I thought <3 was the sign for teabagging.
Old 01-29-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought people were telling me they had less than 3 things of whatever the hell they were blabbing about.
Old 01-29-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought everyone knew <3 is a heart.
Old 01-29-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by rabbit77 View Post
I thought people were telling me they had less than 3 things of whatever the hell they were blabbing about.
I saw someone post < / 3 (without spaces)and asked what they were dividing by 3.

Also what is <33

Last edited by whotony; 01-30-10 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
I saw someone post </3 and asked what they were dividing by 3.

Also what is <33
Hmm part of my post disappears.

Last edited by whotony; 01-30-10 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-30-10, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
I have one friend from high school who I keep on my list solely for the entertainment value. She posts absolutely everything about her life - no filter. Rants about her ex, naked tanning, money problems, you name it. It is like a white trash soap opera.
I want this person as my friend.

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Unless you're one of the annoying abusers, the only positive thing I ever see Facebook defenders say is, "Facebook helped me connect with old friends." Which begs a couple of questions:

1) You could have Googled many of those same people and reconnected with them yourself, long ago. Why didn't you?

2) Why aren't you still friends with them in real life?
1) Some people can't be Googled. Although those are people that tend not to be Facebook members.

2) Everyone has strict limits of time. I'd love to be able to hang out and go to lunch with a lot of my friends, but it's simply not possible. Facebook fills the gaps in between times that I have longer, more meaningful activities with them.
Old 01-30-10, 04:21 PM

I thought about making a facebook, but I looked at others friends and I see alot of poeple from my past and I figure, I really dont want or care to know all these people again. I like not living in the past and it feels 'fake' trying to reconnect with them.

Now Ive heard its a good thing to have if youre single because you can meet a person and instead of getting a number, get her facebook. But than that leads to a whole 'stalker' thing where you can see other guys talking to her and trying to hit on her. Id think Id feel odd seeing that.

Plus I hate technology. I dont like that it feels like we can contact anyone at anytime and here from them right away. I wish it was like the old days when only letters could be sent and you hear from someone maybe twice a year.
Old 01-31-10, 01:38 PM

I really enjoy Facebook. If someone gets to be annoying, you just delete them or "ignore" them and you'll never see their updates. Once you've "ignored" farmville and mafia wars, you will never see silly app spams again. It's essentially a big e-mail/chat program for me. I will be there writing people, just as I used to do with email, and my cousin will pop up on chat, or my friend in Sweden, or my brother 3000 miles away and I can have a quick chat with them while I'm sending some messages. It's great. And it's free. I play a little scrabble now and then with friends all over the country. I've been contacted by old college friends and it's always great to hear from them. All these people saying, "If you aren't still friends, why should you be now?" boggle my mind. Maybe you're just very young. Or maybe you're not sentimental. Frankly, unless some bad shit went down, in which case they wouldn't be contacting you, I welcome people from my past contacting me. Is it going to lead to someone becoming my best friend or something? No, probably not. But I've had people contact me that I just lost contact with after college with all the moving around and new jobs and traveling. There are even people who were living in Los Angeles, who were friends of mine from back East, that I reconnected with and now hang out with here in LA. It's great.

I love photo updates. I get to see family and friends way more on Facebook than I ever used to and I enjoy that since I live across the country. Sure there's some silly stuff on occasion. Just ignore it.

Facebook will be whatever you want it to be. You are allowed full control over what you see and what others see.

Or maybe you prefer to just email/txt and call people on the phone. More power to you. I like having everything organized in one coherent stream.
Old 01-31-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 681 Likes on 436 Posts

My best friend and next-door-neighbor growing up is going through some pretty serious medical issues right now. We only stayed "friends" through elementary school, but once middle school rolled around we went our separate ways. And then I moved halfway through high school and we completely lost touch.

This isn't someone I have felt the need to get in touch with later in life. The reason we went our separate ways is because we had very little in common once we got older. Nothing bad, just losing touch.

But I found out he was having these issues because I am friends with someone on Facebook who still lives where I grew up and is friends with him (he's not on Facebook). I got his Caring Bridge site off this and got to find out how he was doing and sent him a message showing my support. I never would have known about this if it wasn't for Facebook and the network created there.

This isn't someone I even want to reconnect with, but I have tons of pictures of us growing up and playing together, and he was my first "best friend" so I'm glad I found out what was going on with him.

I've blocked every app on the site. After that, it's just a nice way to stay in touch with people.
Old 01-31-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I love the control Facebook allows. I don't care about the games or quizzes, so I have them all blocked. Other people really like those games, so they enjoy competing with their friends, and seeing those updates. I have a friend that I like to chat with occasionally, but continually post stupid videos and ridiculous status updates. I can remain their friend, but not be subjected to the drivel that usually gets posted.

It's kind of like the filter I have with being able to ignore what the fiancee is saying, while still checking out her ass in the tight jeans.