Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Wal Mart checking receipts; my Ari Gold moment.

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 12-06-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed more and more the few unfortunate times where I've been roped into accompanying a family member to Wal-Mart they are starting to harass people about showing their receipt.

Firstly, I shop at Costco and understand it's policy there to check the receipt as it's clearly stated in the membership policies. Also, Costco has never delayed me more than 5-10 seconds, even with a cartful of stuff.

Last time I went there, the mental midget in charge of this took 15 seconds to verify the single DVD I purchased was on the receipt. Needless to say it made me very mad.

Tonight, a family member is heading out the door with a cart of FIVE items and another employee starts the "I NEED TO CHECK YOUR RECEIPT SPIEL."

I told them to keep going, that they had no right to search your stuff unless they suspected you of theft. My relative complies out of hopes of not making a scene. After 20 seconds of the employee scanning the receipt over and over, not once looking in the cart I lost it and went Ari Gold on the woman, and not once would she confirm that she had a legal right to check receipts.

Frankly, it's the final straw for me when it comes to shopping even for cheap DVDs there.

Anyone else had to put up with this crap?
Old 12-06-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Wal Mart checking receipts; my Ari Gold moment.

The old people who are passing the time until they die really got to you, huh?
Old 12-06-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

... OMG FIFTEEN OR TWENTY SECONDS?!?!?!

companies don't put these procedures in place unless there's a financial reason for doing so... in this case it's in the interest of loss prevention, which is passed down to you in the form of keeping prices low

cliffsnotes: hush
Old 12-06-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
The old people who are passing the time until they die really got to you, huh?
No, it wasn't an older person, it was a woman who was middle aged at best.
Old 12-06-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
... OMG FIFTEEN OR TWENTY SECONDS?!?!?!

companies don't put these procedures in place unless there's a financial reason for doing so... in this case it's in the interest of loss prevention, which is passed down to you in the form of keeping prices low

cliffsnotes: hush
Fifteen or twenty seconds for five items is crap. The woman clearly got her kicks from delaying people and for every one person she manages to stop, many more continue walking even as she yelled at them to stop and come back.
Old 12-06-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, Wal-Mart sucks. Support the better stores like Amazon that have better prices or order stuff from walmart ONLINE.
Old 12-06-09, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've only been stopped on black friday. Other then that they just tell me to have a nice day or (the miserable ones) just look at me. Even If I choose not to take a bag after paying for whatever it is I bought I don't get stopped
Old 12-06-09, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just keep walking. They ask but generaly aren't big enough to enforce.
Old 12-06-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
I just keep walking. They ask but generaly aren't big enough to enforce.
They don't have a legal right though, do they, unless they suspect you of theft, correct?

I've been lucky enough in the past to walk out while they were harassing other people and checking their bags of groceries, because the person brought reusable bags.
Old 12-07-09, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 93 Posts

There was a great thread about this a long time back concerning Circuity City. That one got heated.
Old 12-07-09, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can take 10 seconds to show them my receipt. It doesn't bother me.

The only place that did it out of the blue to me was Best Buy a few weeks ago. I got in to a discussion with the girl at the door about since I had been shopping at that particular store almost every week for a few years and it never came up. She said it was just that time of year. No big deal.

Why get all bent out of shape?
Old 12-07-09, 12:22 AM

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Huge entitlement complex in this country. Even minor inconveniences of a few seconds inspire blow-ups and internet rage threads. And I love it!
Old 12-07-09, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
There was a great thread about this a long time back concerning Circuity City. That one got heated.
I remember that one.
Old 12-07-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I offer no sympathy to someone complaining about Wal-Mart. Same goes for poor people who smoke.

That said, I hope that you yelled, "I will fucking murder you" at some point. A spaz out moment is wasted without threatening to fucking murder someone.
Old 12-07-09, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 130 Posts

I would be annoyed. I don't like being automatically treated like I am a criminal. I changed my bank because WELLS FARGO started treating all their individual customers like potential terrorists. They wanted me to show ID to make a deposit.

Wells Fargo, Del Monte, Wal-Mart... it's all bad.
Old 12-07-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
I've noticed more and more the few unfortunate times where I've been roped into accompanying a family member to Wal-Mart they are starting to harass people about showing their receipt.

Firstly, I shop at Costco and understand it's policy there to check the receipt as it's clearly stated in the membership policies. Also, Costco has never delayed me more than 5-10 seconds, even with a cartful of stuff.

Last time I went there, the mental midget in charge of this took 15 seconds to verify the single DVD I purchased was on the receipt. Needless to say it made me very mad.

Tonight, a family member is heading out the door with a cart of FIVE items and another employee starts the "I NEED TO CHECK YOUR RECEIPT SPIEL."

I told them to keep going, that they had no right to search your stuff unless they suspected you of theft. My relative complies out of hopes of not making a scene. After 20 seconds of the employee scanning the receipt over and over, not once looking in the cart I lost it and went Ari Gold on the woman, and not once would she confirm that she had a legal right to check receipts.

Frankly, it's the final straw for me when it comes to shopping even for cheap DVDs there.

Anyone else had to put up with this crap?
Next time you should stick a giant Dildo in the bag they check. I'm sure they wont wanna look through your stuff ever again.
Old 12-07-09, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Places like Walmart and Best Buy can’t make you show a receipt. Once you buy it, it’s yours. Costco, etc., can as you agree to it when you become a member. If the people at Walmart, etc., attempt to stop you, it’s false imprisonment. If they touch you, it’s assault. If they KNOW you are shoplifting, they can’t do anything until you leave the store. (Who’s to say you weren’t going to pay for it if you haven’t left, yet?) However, if they attempt to stop you after you’ve left, they open the store up to all kinds of lawsuits.
Old 12-07-09, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I keep walking. Yes it would only take a minute or two or my time but it is MY TIME to decide on how I wish to spend it. And getting searched after I legally purchased things there is not what I expect to happen when I do business somewhere. Perhaps if they informed me on my rights to refuse an illegal search I'd at least think about it out of the novelty of the request; but as long as they hide behind false authority and push as if we were wrong on refusing the search I say walk on. If they press I respond "No thanks, I remember what I just bought. Thank you"
Old 12-07-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Unless the security alarm goes off (which happens 1/8 times when they fail to deactivate the security tag on the DVD), I've never been stopped...
Old 12-07-09, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has anyone ever actually SEEN someone get busted? This seems to be happening so frequently now at almost every damn store I go to that I'm surprised I've never read about someone seeing some random person get caught stealing.

Personally, I don't stop unless the detector goes off. And if there's no one right there when it goes off, I don't stop then either. No one has ever followed me or yelled or anything. Here in LA, most stores are generally so busy that they don't seem to care that I didn't stop and they just catch the person right behind me.
Old 12-07-09, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
You are making life too hard on yourself. Chill out.
Old 12-07-09, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only reason they do it is to provide a visual deterrent to shoplifters. It's the same reason you sometimes hear them calling for security to make active video surveillance of sectors 1, 3, and 5 (or they might say "Focus cameras on Sector 7"). Those sectors don't exist and no surveillance is being done (no more than usual anyway). It's just a standard announcement they make every hour or so. If you are shoplifting you will think you are the target of security's heightened awareness.

-Former Wal-Mart Department Manager

Last edited by DeputyDave; 12-07-09 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-07-09, 06:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Those sectors don't exist and no surveillance is being done (no more than usual anyway). It's just a standard announcement they make every hour or so. If you are shoplifting you will think you are the target of security's heightened awareness.

-Former Wal-Mart Department Manager
That's awesome.
Old 12-07-09, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
First thing I thought of.
Old 12-07-09, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
Unless the security alarm goes off (which happens 1/8 times when they fail to deactivate the security tag on the DVD), I've never been stopped...
Heck, I've had the security alarm go off a few times over my life (for non-deactivated, purchased items ), and I'll even turn around, and no one ever seems interested. Maybe once a cashier deactivated something for me. Other times no one even looks my way!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.