Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Friday - Will You Be Shopping?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: What will you be doing on Black Friday?
Yes, I will be out hitting stores for deals!
12.21%
I'll be doing my shopping online instead.
43.51%
I won't be shopping at all!
30.53%
I'll be working!
11.45%
I give Twikoff a list and he goes and gets shit for me.
2.29%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-09, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I didn't work in retail, there's no fucking deal that would get me out of bed to deal with that insanity.

Luckily, I have the closing manager shift that day. I'll wake up around 9 or so, check the deals on Amazon, and head into work to work the 11am until midnight shift. At least I'll miss the morning rush.
Old 11-15-09, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Black Friday - Will You Be Shopping?

Hell no

Being trampled by some mother fucker over a sale on towels isn't worth saving 15 bucks. I can afford stuff without saving a little cash.
Old 11-15-09, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A 13 hour shift? That's crazy especially on BF. Do you get first dibs on the Doorbusters or the other BF sales?

I haven't decided if I want to go to the stores when they open. I'll still be up since I stay up very late. Got to check Amazon throughout the day. May just go in the afternoon or evening just to see what is left. Target has some stuff left. Best Buy is usually out of everything but judging by their BF ad, they don't have anything THAT great.
Old 11-15-09, 06:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The deals have been getting steadily worse each year. At this point you're looking at a $50 savings on most items versus buying online (and I mean regular online prices, not Black Friday online prices). I'd gladly pay $50 to not wake up early, stand in the cold, and get shoved around by inconsiderate assholes.

Edit: The first time I worked BF in retail (at EB Games) I did a 16 hour shift. That paycheck was awesome.
Old 11-15-09, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Never done it so there's no need to start now.
Old 11-15-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
A 13 hour shift? That's crazy especially on BF. Do you get first dibs on the Doorbusters or the other BF sales?

I haven't decided if I want to go to the stores when they open. I'll still be up since I stay up very late. Got to check Amazon throughout the day. May just go in the afternoon or evening just to see what is left. Target has some stuff left. Best Buy is usually out of everything but judging by their BF ad, they don't have anything THAT great.
Normally, employees are barred from the big doorbuster items (laptops, TV's, etc.), but I always grab whatever DVD's I want to get on Wednesday night and put them aside.

The one thing I'm eyeing this year is that Canon T1i package. I might try and jump on that.
Old 11-15-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post

The one thing I'm eyeing this year is that Canon T1i package. I might try and jump on that.

Thank ghod! If there's one thing there isn't enough of on these forums, its pictures of Tarantino.
Old 11-15-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts

I've done my Christmas shopping almost exclusively online for several years now...why people still pack the malls for stuff they could get easier (and in most cases cheaper) online still boggles my mind.
Old 11-15-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

online sure
in stores HELL NO!!!!!!!!!! I did that once, never again!!!
Old 11-15-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

I doubt it. I haven't seen any deals that appeal to me this year. I will get in line for a doorbuster if it's a savings of several hundred dollars. To wait overnight and lose my thanksgiving afternoon/evening for $50 is not something I want to do.
Old 11-15-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We are visiting my BIL in Arizona, so I will take the wife around for a while. This will be her first Black Friday where it won't be freezing outside.

That being said, I doubt there will be any items attractive enough to warrant standing outside for.
Old 11-15-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Nope. Amazon.com for me.
Old 11-15-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 549 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
The deals have been getting steadily worse each year. At this point you're looking at a $50 savings on most items versus buying online (and I mean regular online prices, not Black Friday online prices). I'd gladly pay $50 to not wake up early, stand in the cold, and get shoved around by inconsiderate assholes.

Edit: The first time I worked BF in retail (at EB Games) I did a 16 hour shift. That paycheck was awesome.
Not always the case. For example, Best Buy is going to sell the Canon HF20 HD Camcorder for $499.99 in their AD on BF. It's selling right now for about $629 on Amazon as the cheapest place and $799.99 at BB.

I'm hoping BB puts it on sale on their site that night so I can buy and get it later. If not, I'll check Amazon to see if they are matching, since they seem to match all BF deals from B&M stores.

Last edited by Deftones; 11-15-09 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-15-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My daughter and I have a tradition of hitting the stores first thing on Black Friday. We have done this since she was in grade school (she is now a senior in college). Our tradition harkens back to a time when Black Friday was different; when the crowds were smaller and stores were giving out refreshments and swag (plush animals, bobbleheads, tins of cookies, snow globes, etc.). Nobody gives these out anymore (excpet maybe Penney's will have a snow globe), but we do it because it's a unique daddy/daughter holiday tradition (she wrote an essay on it in the 7th grade). So even though it will not be like the old days, we will go out, because it's just something we do.
Old 11-15-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I did it in-store once. Once. Never again. Depending on my work schedule, I might hit Amazon to see what type of deals they've got going.
Old 11-15-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The "door busters" are usually generic products used to entice people into the stores. One store I checked out is offering a 32 inch HDTV for $249.00 at 5 am the day after Thanksgiving. OMG! Wait...until you find out that the TV is a Westinghouse and You Tube has a glut of videos of people posting their problems with that horrible TV set. Yeah...most of the "deals" are like that. So I always pass. I prefer to sit back and let the morons stampede themselves to death while they attempt to save $20.00 on an E-Machine and other sundry of generic crap.

I seriously think Black Friday is designed for idiots who can't tell the difference between E-Machines and real computers and crappy electronics and the reliable name brands. It always suckers in the bottom feeders of society.

Last edited by calhoun07; 11-15-09 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-15-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Online if at all.
Old 11-15-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
If I didn't work in retail, there's no fucking deal that would get me out of bed to deal with that insanity.
I will be working and may be online shopping while working.

I have worked in retail and this day has lost all meaning over the years. Far better deals can be had on better quality things. This day is all about hype, the news media and trampled employees
Old 11-15-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I kinda enjoy going out with the teeming masses on BF. It can be fun as long as you don't take it seriously.
Old 11-15-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

I would love to go just to see the crowds and stampeding, but I am not waking up early to do it. Besides, I already worked a Black Friday at Best Buy, and that was enough for me.
Old 11-15-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll probably hit up a few stores and do the rest on Amazon
Old 11-15-09, 01:48 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

An emphatic Hell no! For all the grief, it's not worth the time. It might be fun for some, but I'd rather sleep-in and maybe cruise out later in the day.

I didn't do any of the Amazon price matching last year, (at least I think that was the case). I might pick up a few Blu Rays but that's about it.
Old 11-15-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Working 10-7 so maybe I'll check the Amazon deals that morning anyways.
Old 11-15-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not getting up early to deal with those nuts. I'll get what I want on Amazon.
Old 11-15-09, 02:54 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I go out every year at 4 in the morning get some dvds come home and watch them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.