Reload this Page >

Why eBay is for idiots

Other Talk "Otterville"

Why eBay is for idiots

Old 11-10-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Why eBay is for idiots

I am so damn frustrated to the point where I am done with eBay.

I listed an Invader Zim House + Special Features DVD. I made it clear in my auction Volumes 1-3 were not included. So what happens?

First person buys it and e-mails me shortly after to see if they could 'cancel' since they didn't know it didn't include the volumes. Ugh. Fine, I refund minus $11 for my eBay fees.

Second person buys it and I notice they have a 0 feedback so I e-mail them to make sure they know it does not include the Volumes. Once again, they did not so I did a refund minus $11.

Third time I sold the item. Now, I made sure to put in big fucking letters what it does NOT include. What do you think happens? Too late though - already shipped.

I can't believe how fucking stupid people are. Do they not read? Do they not see the pictures posted?

For the record - here is a link to my third auction. Can it not be any more obvious?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170404400661
Old 11-10-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why eBay is for idiots

Thanks for the link. I've been looking to get this with Vol. 1-3 so it looks like my ship has come in!
Old 11-10-09, 12:50 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

This seems a bit like selling the "Xbox 360 Box" auction that you seem from time to time.
Old 11-10-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it makes you feels better, I was done with Ebay years ago, too many crooks and idiots there.
Old 11-10-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This seems a bit like selling the "Xbox 360 Box" auction that you seem from time to time.
This is how it was actually sold though.

You can either get the House + 3 volumes + special features
or the House + special features

My auction is pretty damn clear what it includes and what it does not include. Yet somehow people are fucking idiots. This is it for me. I'm done with selling on eBay. Now I have to have this person either refuse delivery or re-ship it back to me and tell her she has to eat $21 ($11 eBay fees + $10 for shipping). Fuck eBay. Fuck it.

Last edited by Gizmo; 11-10-09 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually no, people do not read. I learned that years ago working in retail
Old 11-10-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Chargeback

Old 11-10-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Chargeback

Considering the way the auction was described and that I have Delivery Confirmation I look forward to seeing what Paypal would do. There is no way they could side with the buyer considering the way I worded the auction (making it clear what was and was not included) and my pictures. I already dumped my money though into my checking account.
Old 11-10-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

unless of course, they say that you sent them an empty box, or a box full of rocks.
Old 11-10-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So you're keeping the 3 volumes and just selling the box and the special features disc?
Old 11-10-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 988 Likes on 714 Posts

I don't know anything about Invader Zim.

Was this like a pre-packaged boxed set of V1-3, a bonus DVD, and a box? Or was it a box and bonus DVD that were sold seperately?

The way eBay's listings for DVDs/CDs/DVDs is like Half or Amazon where they utilize a general description for the item. So it's possible that people think they're getting the complete boxed set and not reading down below the eBay description.

Ideally, the first thing in the description should be something like: This auction is for the box and bonus DVD only. This auction does not include Volumes 1, 2, and 3.

Which sucks for a book collector such as myself, since I'm never really sure which edition of a book I'm going to get, going by a general description and (often) a stock photo. Just another reason my eBay account has been dormant for years.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 11-10-09 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-10-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
unless of course, they say that you sent them an empty box, or a box full of rocks.
I suppose they could do that just like anyone else could. At this point, if she replies back, I'll tell her to refuse delivery and have it come back to me.

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki View Post
So you're keeping the 3 volumes and just selling the box and the special features disc?
Again, the set was sold in two ways - WITHOUT the three volumes and WITH the three volumes. I sold off the three volumes (purchased at Best Buy, sealed with the pricetags still on them) and sold the House + Special Features set by itself because that's how its marked on the box.
Old 11-10-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I don't know anything about Invader Zim.

Was this like a pre-packaged boxed set of V1-3, a bonus DVD, and a box? Or was it a box and bonus DVD that were sold seperately?

The way eBay's listings for DVDs/CDs/DVDs is like Half or Amazon where they utilize a general description for the item. So it's possible that people think they're getting the complete boxed set and not reading down below the eBay description.

Ideally, the first thing in the description should be something like: This auction is for the box and bonus DVD only. This auction does not includes Volumes 1, 2, and 3.

Which sucks for a book collector such as myself, since I'm never really sure which edition of a book I'm going to get, going by a general description and (often) a stock photo. Just another reason my eBay account has been dormant for years.
Sold WITH the 3 volumes or WITHOUT the 3 volumes. Even ebay has two 'templates' for this since they had different UPCs. I really couldn't have made it any more clearer on what it did and did not include. Not only was it mentioned several times, a look at the picture would show its 'missing' three DVDs. I'm stumped how people continue to not fucking read (or in one case had her 12 year old daughter buy and pay with her account).
Old 11-10-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe you should say in the item title that the 3 volumes aren't included. Invader Zim Box Set House with Bonus DVD - OOP and RARE to me sounds like the whole shebang. I would have figured it out if I read the description but for most people the title and a pic are good enough. I'm not saying they're not idiots but the item title could be more clear.
Old 11-10-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe you should say in the item title that the 3 volumes aren't included. Invader Zim Box Set House with Bonus DVD - OOP and RARE to me sounds like the whole shebang. I would have figured it out if I read the description but for most people the title and a pic are good enough. I'm not saying they're not idiots but the item title could be more clear.
I have a limited amount of room in the title. I really didn't think I'd need to mention it over and over since the Pictures + giant text (bolded and underlined) describes what comes (and does not come) with the auction.

This is it for me. I'm done selling on eBay. I can't even leave negative feedback (if the deal goes bad).
Old 11-10-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone's going to pay $119.99 for a box and a bonus DVD? Yes, eBay is for idiots
Old 11-10-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil View Post
Someone's going to pay $119.99 for a box and a bonus DVD? Yes, eBay is for idiots
I sold the three volumes for $80 since they are no longer in print. The Special Features disc contains unfinished episodes and only available in the house so fans of the show want it. I've sold out of print DVDs of shitty films for big bucks before. Hell, its eBay - people pay $20 for a DVD that's readily available on Amazon for $5 because they think their getting a deal.
Old 11-10-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So you are selling Volumes 1 through 3, but included a picture of the house?
Old 11-10-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
So you are selling Volumes 1 through 3, but included a picture of the house?
WTF?

I sold them in a different auction since they are not part of the house set.
Old 11-10-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD's eBay Listing View Post
This is not my third time listing this item as people can't seem to read the description and/or look at the pictures.
Yes, eBay is for idiots.
Old 11-10-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Yes, eBay is for idiots.
I know, typo. The action ended before I could go back and correct that. I was already pretty pissed to be listing it for the third time in three days. It always sold right away.
Old 11-10-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
There is no way they could side with the buyer

I could see the title being misinterpreted , if someone is reading too fast. Maybe "Invader Zim House Box Set ONLY with Bonus DVD - OOP and RARE" would have been better, shrug.

Hopefully the buyer just refuses, and doesnt screw you later. Good luck!
Old 11-10-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post

I could see the title being misinterpreted , if someone is reading too fast. Maybe "Invader Zim House Box Set ONLY with Bonus DVD - OOP and RARE" would have been better, shrug.
The pictures + description would say otherwise. I responded back to the buyer within a few minutes of her e-mailing me and no return response from her. Aside from literally going Geocities on the post with flashing text I don't see how it couldn't be more obvious what it includes and what it does not include. Considering this is how the set was sold in-stores (not me piecing stuff out) I can only assume people are just stupid.
Old 11-10-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd have to agree with this. Sellers try and dupe people all the time with weasel wording. Not saying the OP was trying to do this because obviously he wasn't if he refunded twice.

When you use the term "Box Set" it sort of implies it's the whole set.
Old 11-10-09, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts

Holy crap, $100+ for that thing? Mine is going up for sale tonight.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.