Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Question on maybe breach of Identity??

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 11-04-09, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok firstly all my financial institutions are ok.

Its just that I have this alternate address showing up randoming in my accounts. It started with my Macy's store credit card. This MA address showed up and I immediately closed that account. A few months later when I checked my credit reports, the MA address showed up in one of the 3. I tried contacting the agency to get it removed but all they came back to me was that they are simply just reporting what my financial instutions are feeding them and any corrections I should go back to the companies directly. The problem is I have no clue who has this incorrect info. So I left it at that b/c I'm thinking it was the Macy's CC and that has been closed so it shouldn't be a problem.

Then it started showing up in my rewards programs; Amtrak Guest Rewards & Starwoods??

I'm thinking why the hell would anyone steal just my rewards accounts and not the ones with actual money? Something is just not making sense!

Any advice on what I should do to make this problem go away?
Old 11-04-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Question on maybe breach of Identity??

Go to that other address and kill anyone you find there. Better safe than sorry.

I really hate the credit reporting system in the U.S.. I'm just so sick of everybody passing the buck. "We're just reporting what's being reported to us." Awesome. In any case, good luck finding this out. I have a random account on my credit record that nobody seems to know anything about. Whatever, it's closed, has no debt on it, and I had a note added to my credit report to the effect that I had no knowledge of the account.

Last edited by Cheato; 11-04-09 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-04-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 587 Likes on 339 Posts
Re: Question on maybe breach of Identity??

Originally Posted by seisui View Post

I'm thinking why the hell would anyone steal just my rewards accounts and not the ones with actual money? Something is just not making sense!
Because thieves are stupid.

If they aren't taking your money, just notify everyone that something odd is happening, and keep an eye on things.