Reload this Page >

Travel question re: passports

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 11-01-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do all non-U.S. destinations require a passport for American travelers?
Old 11-01-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Travel question re: passports

almost positive they do now
Old 11-01-09, 07:01 PM
X
Administrator

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the point is more that you need a passport to get back in to America.
Old 11-01-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by X View Post
This is it. There are places you can go without a passport (Bahamas comes to mind), but you can't re-enter the US without a passport.

What happens if you don't have a passport? My guess is that you would need to go to a US embassy and file the necessary paperwork and eventually get into the US, but it most likely take some time... and money.
Old 11-01-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Do you need one to drive into Canada? You didn't used to but it has been a long time since I have done so.
Old 11-01-09, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Abelkems View Post
Do all non-U.S. destinations require a passport for American travelers?
Originally Posted by statcat View Post
almost positive they do now
Answers here

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
Old 11-02-09, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

What do most of you do with your passport? Keep in in the hotel safe when you're abroad? Have one of those travel carriers with your tix and passport in in on your person? It's the only recognized form of ID, isn't it? Not like I could produce my current state drivers license or anything...
Old 11-02-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Usually keep it on me like a wallet. Especially when your talking about a cruise ship or something, if you miss the ship for some reason when it leaves a port and you need to fly, your pretty screwed without it.

When traveling in Europe and many other places and staying at the hotel, many times the hotel will require you to leave the passport at the front desk while your staying there. It's weird to American's, but pretty normal to Europeans.

If on an overnight train in Europe, they will ask you to give them your passports for the ride. Usually the borders will look at the train list and say "ok, give me 5 random dutch, 10 americans, 10 french, etc just for random checks. If your picked and they have the passport when they cross borders they can produce them to officials without waking you

I actually carry my passport when I travel anywhere, even domestic. I got tired of watching someone in California or vice versa looking strange at my VA driver's license (because it looked different than CA's or whatever local area) and peeling at the lamination, holigrams, etc. They recognize the U.S. Passport right away though and just wave you through.
Old 11-02-09, 02:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 351 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Do you need one to drive into Canada? You didn't used to but it has been a long time since I have done so.
Yes, I believe this became official sometime this year.
Old 11-02-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
What do most of you do with your passport? Keep in in the hotel safe when you're abroad? Have one of those travel carriers with your tix and passport in in on your person? It's the only recognized form of ID, isn't it? Not like I could produce my current state drivers license or anything...
It's always best to keep your passport on you. Also, keep a photocopy (or 2) in your hotel room, luggage, front desk, etc.
Old 11-02-09, 06:17 PM

The European hotels have always asked for my passport to register, but then give them back, around 40 hotels and counting. Also everytime i've been on the train between countries, the custom officials came through the train asking to see passports (but was never on an overnight train)
Old 11-02-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by kneijst1 View Post
It's always best to keep your passport on you. Also, keep a photocopy (or 2) in your hotel room, luggage, front desk, etc.
I thought about getting the Passport Card. Now I know it's only for land border use, but I figure it has the same information on it as my Passport Book. That way I can have it as a back up form of ID instead of a photocopy.
Old 11-02-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
First time I went to HK, I kept it in the hotel safe. Second time, I kept it in my zip or button pant pocket. In cruise trip, I kept it in the room safe. In Canada, I kept it in the hotel. I guess the further I am away from home, the closer I keep it in person.
Old 11-03-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
As mentioned, you don't need one to go into Canada, but you need it to reenter the US. This has been in effect at land border crossings since this past June. If you don't have a passport with you, they can't refuse a US citizen entry back into the US, but you can expect a wait in the immigration office until they can make sure you are who you say you are (how long of a wait depends on how busy they are, sometime it's VERY busy).
Old 11-03-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
As mentioned, you don't need one to go into Canada, but you need it to reenter the US. This has been in effect at land border crossings since this past June. If you don't have a passport with you, they can't refuse a US citizen entry back into the US, but you can expect a wait in the immigration office until they can make sure you are who you say you are (how long of a wait depends on how busy they are, sometime it's VERY busy).
Thanks much.

Many years ago (pre-9/11), I flew to Edmonton. I had been incorrectly informed that I did not need a passport to enter Canada (by someone who only ever drove into Canada). So there I was in Edmonton, 50 feet away from the person I was there to visit, without a passport. Fortunately, I had brought a police ID (inadvertently, I had meant to leave it at home) and was able to get in with that since it established citizenship.
Old 11-03-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

are you sure? hundreds of thousands of people go into America every year without a passport...
Old 11-03-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had to give up my passport for the duration of my stay in Europe or Asia. Kind of news to me.

I do keep a copy of my passport in my luggage and the original somewhere in within my bags (but not in the same bag). Occassionally I'll keep one at home in case I need to tell somebody to fax those documents to me.
Old 11-03-09, 05:56 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

I actually just got a passport for the first time ever a few months ago. The wife and I were looking into a cruise to the bahamas. Basically I was told that I wouldn't "need" a passport for a cruise, or to get off the boat and back. The catch was, if something happens and you have to fly that's when the passport would be required. Still sounded fishy to me so I decided to get one regardless.
Old 11-03-09, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

yup

I'm pretty sure Canada doesn't give a shit for example
but getting back into the US is going to be a bitch without one