Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Roman Polanski Arrested, Facing Extradition To U.S.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-27-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33042460...t-celebrities/

ZURICH - Director Roman Polanski was arrested by Swiss police for possible extradition to the United States for having sex in 1977 with a 13-year-old girl, authorities said Sunday.

Polanski was flying in to receive an honorary award at the Zurich Film Festival when he was apprehended Saturday at the airport, the Swiss Justice Ministry said in a statement. It said U.S. authorities have sought the arrest of the 76-year-old around the world since 2005.

"There was a valid arrest request and we knew when he was coming," ministry spokesman Guido Balmer told The Associated Press. "That's why he was taken into custody."

Balmer said the U.S. would now be given time to make a formal extradition request.

Polanski fled the U.S. in 1978, a year after pleading guilty to unlawful sexual intercourse with the underage girl.

The director of such classic films as "Chinatown" and "Rosemary's Baby" has asked a U.S. appeals court in California to overturn a judges' refusal to throw out his case. He claims misconduct by the now-deceased judge who had arranged a plea bargain and then reneged on it.

The Swiss statement said Polanski was officially in "provisional detention for extradition," but added that he would not be transferred to U.S. authorities until all proceedings are completed. Polanski can contest his detention and any extradition decision in the Swiss courts, it said.

Polanski has faced a U.S. arrest request since 1978 and has lived for the past three decades in France, where his career has continued to flourish. He received a directing Oscar in absentia for the 2002 movie "The Pianist." He was not extradited from France because his crime reportedly was not covered under the U.S.'s treaties with the country.

In France, Culture Minister Frederic Mitterrand said he was "dumbfounded" by Polanski's arrest, adding that he "strongly regrets that a new ordeal is being inflicted on someone who has already experienced so many of them."

Mitterrand's ministry said Sunday in a statement that he is in contact with French President Nicolas Sarkozy, "who is following the case with great attention and shares the minister's hope that the situation can be quickly resolved."

A native of France who was taken to Poland by his parents, Polanski escaped Krakow's Jewish ghetto as a child and lived off the charity of strangers. His mother died at the Auschwitz Nazi death camp.

He worked his way into filmmaking in Poland, gaining an Oscar nomination for best foreign-language film in 1964 for his "Knife in the Water." Offered entry to Hollywood, he directed the classic "Rosemary's Baby" in 1968.

But his life was shattered again in 1969 when his wife, actress Sharon Tate, and four other people were gruesomely murdered by followers of Charles Manson. She was eight months pregnant.

He went on to make another American classic, "Chinatown," released in 1974.

In 1977, he was accused of raping the teenager while photographing her during a modeling session. The girl said Polanski plied her with champagne and part of a Quaalude pill at Jack Nicholson's house while the actor was away. She said that, despite her protests, he performed oral sex, intercourse and sodomy on her.

Polanski was allowed to plead guilty to one of six charges, unlawful sexual intercourse, and was sent to prison for 42 days of evaluation.

Lawyers agreed that would be his full sentence, but the judge tried to renege on the plea bargain. Aware the judge would sentence him to more prison time and require his voluntary deportation, Polanski fled to France.

The victim, Samantha Geimer, who long ago identified herself publicly, has joined in Polanski's bid for dismissal, saying she wants the case to be over. She sued Polanski and reached an undisclosed settlement.

Festival organizers said Polanski's detention had caused "shock and dismay," but that they would go ahead with Sunday's planned retrospective of the director's work.

The Swiss Directors Association sharply criticized authorities for what it deemed "not only a grotesque farce of justice, but also an immense cultural scandal."
-----------------------
This is pretty unbelievable after all these years, and given what a farce and travesty that trial was back in the 70's. I hope that something good comes out of this and the CA justice system overturns the verdict based on the judge's gross misconduct, which no one (not even the prosecutor) refutes, and drops all charges as it's been over 30 years. Let this man live his life as a totally free man already.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 09-27-09 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-27-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski Arrested, Facing Extradition To U.S.

Yes, it is totally unbelievable that Roman Polanski has been a free man all these years and thought that he could get away with serving only 42 days for raping a 13 year old girl.

He needs to die in prison now.
Old 09-27-09, 01:19 PM
Suspended

Every time I contemplate having butt sex with a 13 year old, I think of Polanski, and decide that it just isn't worth it.
Old 09-27-09, 02:02 PM
Banned by request

And Poland just enacted forced chemical castration for pedophiles. Coincidence?
Old 09-27-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good. It's about time.
Old 09-27-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He's not going to be extradited. A deal will be cut and he will be heading back to France.
Old 09-27-09, 03:08 PM
Banned

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...-arrested.html
Old 09-27-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Before starting this thread, I did a search of the director's name in "Other" (not "movies") figuring that the story or its subject doesn't relate directly to any movie. However, someone else felt otherwise. Feel free to close/merge/whatever.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 09-27-09 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-27-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
Every time I contemplate having butt sex with a 13 year old, I think of Polanski, and decide that it just isn't worth it.
the thought has actually crossed your mind?
Old 09-27-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh'. France protects Polanski. USA protects Warren Anderson.
Old 09-27-09, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by dan30oly View Post
Yes, it is totally unbelievable that Roman Polanski has been a free man all these years and thought that he could get away with serving only 42 days for raping a 13 year old girl.

He needs to die in prison now.
If you brush up more on the case you might understand why his penalty was what it was. The victim, the prosecutor, the judge, and the defense all agreed on the punishment he received which he did serve. The lunatic judge is the reason why Polanski has been in France for 30 years. Hell, Polanski was in Europe on business and returned to the states specifically so that he could serve his time in jail all those years ago. If he is extradited to the states you can be sure that the case will be concluded with no additional punishment for Polanski (barring any fleeing charges) which, knee-jerk reactions aside, would be the correct legal decision.
Old 09-27-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's interesting that everyone originally agreed upon the 42 day sentence. The '70's must have been a crazy time.
Old 09-27-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Senor Javi View Post
If you brush up more on the case you might understand why his penalty was what it was. The victim, the prosecutor, the judge, and the defense all agreed on the punishment he received which he did serve. The lunatic judge is the reason why Polanski has been in France for 30 years. Hell, Polanski was in Europe on business and returned to the states specifically so that he could serve his time in jail all those years ago. If he is extradited to the states you can be sure that the case will be concluded with no additional punishment for Polanski (barring any fleeing charges) which, knee-jerk reactions aside, would be the correct legal decision.
so just because the judge is a lunatic, it gives him carte blanche to thumb his nose at the justice system here in the US by remaining a fugitive of justice? he committed a fucking rape for christ sakes. he deserves far more than the pittance of 42 days he could've got.
Old 09-27-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know much about him but just read wiki that he was married to Sharon Tate.
Old 09-27-09, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
so just because the judge is a lunatic, it gives him carte blanche to thumb his nose at the justice system here in the US by remaining a fugitive of justice? he committed a fucking rape for christ sakes. he deserves far more than the pittance of 42 days he could've got.
Read to me where I wrote that Polanski should have gotten a carte blanche just because the judge was a lunatic. I love it when people do this. If you are just going to make things up then what is the point? And what he "deserves" has got nothing to do with it. He was given a punishment and he served it. You don't have to like but you must agree that he served the debt that he was asked to.

Last edited by Senor Javi; 09-27-09 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-27-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Read to me where I wrote that Polanski should have gotten a carte blanche just because the judge was a lunatic. I love it when people do this. If you are just going to make things up then what is the point? And what he "deserves" has got nothing to do with it. He was given a punishment and he served it. You don't have to like but you must agree that he served the debt that he was asked to.
for someone who is accusing another person of not reading what you posted, you sure do a pretty good job of it yourself.

also, you are factually incorrect. he never served any punishment. his 42 days was presentence incareration. he was never convicted, therefore, he never was punished. he didn't serve a debt he was asked to because he fled prosecution. but you knew that right?
Old 09-27-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Don't know much about him but just read wiki that he was married to Sharon Tate.
Wow...really?
Old 09-27-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Yes. I think that most film fans know this. And (I presume) that was Polanski's kid, too.

The Hollywood/LA scene in the 70's was some crazy stuff. There's so many stories of crooks and dealers and stuff that haven't been shared on screen. I get stories sometimes that just blow me away. Bummer that most of the stories don't turn out so well.

I enjoy his movies. I don't really have an opinion on what he should or shouldn't have done. His movies are really good. And, for what it's worth, lots of Hollywood folk are messed up in one way or another. If you start boycotting a pedophile, I assume you're willing to accept critism whenever you enjoy and/or support some other criminal.

Assuming you find a 'saint' director and above-the-line crew, I won't even get into the kind of people you accept money from, through different channels, to actually fund a movie. Whether it's someone an independent production company deals with, or someone who funds those billion dollar Swiss investment bank deals, someone along the line is guilty. If you get into that, you'll probably need to abandon movies altogether. Within every production, you know that someone murdered someone (well, I have no examples, sorry people, I'll never tell). That's why it's considered a dirty business.
Old 09-27-09, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree. Many movies have the backing of some seriously fucked-up people. Why is Polanski just now arrested? I guess that demonstrates how serious the US takes cases like this.
Old 09-27-09, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
for someone who is accusing another person of not reading what you posted, you sure do a pretty good job of it yourself.
Is that so? Go ahead and point it out to me. I'm pretty sure you can't.

also, you are factually incorrect. he never served any punishment. his 42 days was presentence incareration. he was never convicted, therefore, he never was punished. he didn't serve a debt he was asked to because he fled prosecution. but you knew that right?
Brush up on the case smart guy. The plea bargain was that he'd serve time as part of an evaluation so that the judge would not sentence him to time later. It sounds pretty counterproductive but this was done as a PR stunt for the judge. The agreement was that this "evaluation" would count as his punishment. Period. Yes this "technically" does not go on the record, but that is a useless game of semantics. To claim that this was not a punishment is intellectually dishonest. He fled because he thought that the judge would renege on the agreement (which even the prosecutor agreed would happen) and sentence him to additional time later which would be outrageous. Like I said before, to use the "technical" excuse is intellectually dishonest. We all should understand that this evaluation was meant to be the punishment. You can dislike it, but to not except is either lying to yourself or lying to us.

Again, facts are your friend, not knee-jerk emotions or blind stubbornness.
Old 09-27-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Travesty" or not, I'll reserve my sympathy for those who did not rape a 13 year old girl.
Old 09-27-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, those days things seemed to be more "anything goes"...and the casting "couch" hasn't gotten any cleaner. Due to the shift towards more conservative values and perhaps an increase in awareness of child molestation, the penalties are very serious now.
If my recall is correct, the 13 yr. old had previously been sexually active and somehow the mother was complicit in the fact that she agreed to the arrangement and left her daughter there alone.
I don't understand why they're suddenly pursuing extradition after he's been maintaining a home in Switzerland for so long. Is there a lack of serious crimes to solve in L.A., or is the prosecutor/D.A. up for election.
Old 09-27-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Is that so? Go ahead and point it out to me. I'm pretty sure you can't.

Brush up on the case smart guy. The plea bargain was that he'd serve time as part of an evaluation so that the judge would not sentence him to time later. It sounds pretty counterproductive but this was done as a PR stunt for the judge. The agreement was that this "evaluation" would count as his punishment. Period. Yes this "technically" does not go on the record, but that is a useless game of semantics. To claim that this was not a punishment is intellectually dishonest. He fled because he thought that the judge would renege on the agreement (which even the prosecutor agreed would happen) and sentence him to additional time later which would be outrageous. Like I said before, to use the "technical" excuse is intellectually dishonest. We all should understand that this evaluation was meant to be the punishment. You can dislike it, but to not except is either lying to yourself or lying to us.

Again, facts are your friend, not knee-jerk emotions or blind stubbornness.
Wow. you really don't have a fucking clue about the criminal justice system, do you.

he's not punished until he sentenced. period. the fact that he served time before hand, which may have been his sentence, doesn't mean that it could not be either rejected by a judge or deviated from. until a judge hands down a sentence, whatever he did before is not punishment for his crime. fact.
Old 09-27-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The lunatic judge is the reason why Polanski has been in France for 30 years.
No..the reason why Polanski has been in France for 30 years is that he broke the law, tried to cash in on his celebrity by swinging a deal that no normal guy would have gotten, and then he re-negged and fled like a common criminal. He deserves to serve the original sentence, plus whatever he gets for fleeing.
Old 09-27-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure that if Polanski is extradited to the US the first trial will be dismissed because the judge fucked up in the first place. So a new trial? Would that woman testify? I think not.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.