Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Does Middle Eastern Wealth Piss You Off?

Old 09-16-09, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Does Middle Eastern Wealth Piss You Off?

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Dubai is collapsing actually.

It's not the place many imagine it to be now. They overdeveloped and it's failing now.

Thank you. I read that article back in April when it was first published and it was one of the first things that sprang to mind. Yeah, Dubai is fooked.

What pisses me off about Dubai and other displays of ridiculous wealth in the Middle East (and elsewhere) is how so much of it is constructed on the mistreatment of the poor and desperate.
Old 09-16-09, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I'm sure we have more millionaires in this country. They are still living it up in this country while other Americans are struggling to make ends meet.
Old 09-16-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope. It saddens me. Dubai has got this once in a lifetime windfall that they're pissing away on skyscrapers and artificial islands. They should be building giant desalinization plants, hydroponics, and sewage treatment facilities. It's like watching a rock star blow all his money on coke and whores.
Old 09-16-09, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Doesn't bother me. They are pissing away their money now. The party will be over soon enough.
Old 09-16-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Liberace View Post
Opulence only bothers me when it's done without taste or elegance. So, my answer to the OP's question should be obvious.
Do tell.
Old 09-16-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They seem like the people who win the lottery, and eventually end up worse than before.
Old 09-16-09, 07:42 PM

I don't even know where to begin so therefore I won't. Just trying to say that the op made some broad generalizations that aren't really true. And on a personal note rich Saudi princes do bother me but only because they uglify certain supercars and keep world record breaking in mind when building their mosques.
Old 09-16-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As a side note, Dubai's (soon to be former) wealth has very little to do with oil these days:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai#Economy
Old 09-16-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The fact that most of the construction in Dubai is done with what amounts to slave labor pisses me off more than anything.
Old 09-16-09, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34 View Post
I mean, we showed these desert folks how to produce oil
We? Really?? I don't remember that. There are no stamps on my passport from Dubai, either. I've got my calendar here, what day was it?
Old 09-16-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Case01 View Post
I don't even know where to begin so therefore I won't. Just trying to say that the op made some broad generalizations that aren't really true. And on a personal note rich Saudi princes do bother me but only because they uglify certain supercars and keep world record breaking in mind when building their mosques.
Europe used to do that with churches. Cities would compete to build the tallest cathedral, which would be the tallest building in the world. Now that we prefer money to religion, our tall buildings get names like The Sears Tower or The Prudential Building. But the competition is still the same.
Old 09-17-09, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OscarBluth View Post
We? Really?? I don't remember that. There are no stamps on my passport from Dubai, either. I've got my calendar here, what day was it?
He didn't say "me and you, OscarBluth". He said "us". I think that he means Americans. Or maybe DVD-Talkers? Or maybe Westerners. Like it or not, we're all in this together.

Which begs the questions - what state can the Otters occupy after China wins? We have to stick together. Well, you guys have to stick together. I'm moving to China. Maybe I can ship you's off to "camps". Yea, "camps". It'll be really nice there.
Old 09-17-09, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jesus Christ.

You could very easily write an article like that about the US.

Edit to add:

Someone already did. Read "Reefer Madness" by Eric Schlosser.

Last edited by Superboy; 09-17-09 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-17-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The fact that parts of the Middle East have, via oil wealth, been the recipients of the largest wealth transfer in human history doesn't bother me so much in and of itself. The fact that virtually none of that money ever goes towards developing the poorer and oppressed regions of the Muslim world does. The "arab street" is quick to denounce the West and the Jews for the situation of the Palestinians----just do a little checking and see how much of the foreign aid to the Palestinians (which is the bedrock of their existence) comes from the West, and how much comes from their oil-rich Muslim "brothers".
Old 09-17-09, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems like this belongs in the political forum.
Old 09-17-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How dare they sell their natural resources!
Old 09-17-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
The fact that parts of the Middle East have, via oil wealth, been the recipients of the largest wealth transfer in human history doesn't bother me so much in and of itself. The fact that virtually none of that money ever goes towards developing the poorer and oppressed regions of the Muslim world does. The "arab street" is quick to denounce the West and the Jews for the situation of the Palestinians----just do a little checking and see how much of the foreign aid to the Palestinians (which is the bedrock of their existence) comes from the West, and how much comes from their oil-rich Muslim "brothers".
The Arab world has *never* cared about the plight of the "Palestinians". They CERTAINLY had zero interest pre-1967. They use it as an excuse to justify their hatred for the West (read: US & Israel). Exhibit A is Arafat's billions in French banks and his wife & daughter living like absolutely royalty while his peopled starved.

Nothing raises $$$ for a select few like the suffering of a vast majority.

And Dubai doesn't bother me. You reap what you sow. They make their money from vast financial services they attract from around the world (no taxes? SCORE!)
Old 09-17-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk God

No.
Old 09-17-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not the place many imagine it to be now. They overdeveloped and it's failing now.

Now that was an eye-opening article! The conditions those workers live in sound deplorable, at best. The entire place sounds like a tangible desert mirage; too good to really exist. Surprising to learn of the dark underbelly at play and how insulated the Emirati are. As a foreigner, no matter how I might be trated it scares me to think about going to a place like that.
Old 09-17-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will never be going there in this life or the next. It just sound so unbelievably pathetic and sad for the working people there.
Old 09-17-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mike45 View Post
I will never be going there in this life or the next. It just sound so unbelievably pathetic and sad for the working people there.
I hope you're not talking about the US.
Old 09-18-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
How dare they sell their natural resources!
Dubai doesn't have any natural resources. They have no oil.
Old 09-18-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I finally read the article, it is fascinating:

1. It’s like science fiction over there. Sure the living conditions for labor are deplorable, but what's really fascinating is the behavior of the expatriate "middle class". Imagine a whole country populated by the biggest loser you know, someone who failed or lost money at everything they ever tried...now they're all in Dubai. It reads like science fiction. All those speculative stories about what human beings would behave like if they had robots to do their dirty work for them, except here they have servants and laborers in stead of robots. So the whole society has devolved into partying every night, debauchery, and drunkenness. It's just pathetic.

2. It seems that a new serf-dom has been created. The Sheik is the king, the Emirate natives are the nobles, and everyone else is a serf, even the middle class. The king owns everything, no matter how much middle-class wealth you accumulate you own nothing. There is no private ownership of land. All descent is pacified by access to cheap labor to do the "dirty work" and the buck stops at the "slaves" at the bottom.

3. What is up with all the celebrities participating in glorifying this place? That article mentions a Coldplay concert and investment in the region by David Beckham, Tommy Hillfigger, Lindsey Lohan, etc. Why do socially conscious celebrities go to this place? Does U2 play there? It all reminds me of Sun City. More articles like this need to get out. People need to turn their backs on this place.

4. Lastly, I reflected on America's history of exploitation of near-slave labor (I'll leave a discussion of real slavery out of this). I thought of the Chinese who built our railroads, the Irish who dug our canals, the Mexicans who do much of our "dirty work" today. I believe there IS a difference. For one thing this is not a serf-dom, immigrant laborers who came here WERE often exploited, but they came in search of a life where class mobility was possible and where private ownership of land was protected. Even if the first generation was treated like shit and exploited the dream of social advancement and ownership was NOT an illusion, it really was attainable. The US government DID act in a manner to protect jobs and wages rather than continue to import cheap labor (Chinese Exclusion Act, which while racist in practice did function to support wages). In Dubai nothing is possible, you can never advance above your station, you will always be near-slave labor, you can never own anything.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-18-09 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-18-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope
Old 09-18-09, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
So the whole society has devolved into partying every night, debauchery, and drunkenness.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.