Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

People who can't use debit/credit card machines... why can't we just kill them?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-14-09, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't tell you how many times I go to the grocery and end up in line behind some idiot who messes up using the machine where you swipe your debit/credit card. Seriously, who doesn't know how to use these things by now except 90 year old widows?

Tonight I got in line with only three people ahead of me and it took nearly 15 minutes just to buy a bottle of aspirin. The first lady kept fucking up her PIN, the second selected cashback THREE GODDAMN TIMES when she didn't want any (the clerk finally did it for her), and the third wrote a check, realized she wrote the wrong grocery stores name on the check, then tore it off and started over. I didn't even know people still used checks at retail stores.

I was ready to choke a bitch by the time I bought my aspirin. I already had a headache, so these stupid fucks made it ten times worse.

/rant

Last edited by Living Dead; 09-14-09 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-14-09, 07:14 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: People who can't use debit/credit card machines... why can't we just kill them?

I always get stuck behind people writing checks at the market.
Old 09-14-09, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: People who can't use debit/credit card machines... why can't we just kill them?

How about the people who can't figure out the self-checkout?
Old 09-14-09, 10:25 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeNeff View Post
How about the people who can't figure out the self-checkout?
That includes the OP, apparently.
Old 09-14-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
I can't tell you how many times I go to the grocery and end up in line behind some idiot who messes up using the machine where you swipe your debit/credit card. Seriously, who doesn't know how to use these things by now except 90 year old widows?

Tonight I got in line with only three people ahead of me and it took nearly 15 minutes just to buy a bottle of aspirin. The first lady kept fucking up her PIN, the second selected cashback THREE GODDAMN TIMES when she didn't want any (the clerk finally did it for her), and the third wrote a check, realized she wrote the wrong grocery stores name on the check, then tore it off and started over. I didn't even know people still used checks at retail stores.

I was ready to choke a bitch by the time I bought my aspirin. I already had a headache, so these stupid fucks made it ten times worse.

/rant

Dude, you need some anger management. Annoying yea, but I never wanted to kill someone for being technically inept.

I am more annoyed by people who go to 20 items or less express lane with a buggy full of stuff and then pull out the zip lock bag full of coupons. If you are going to do coupons, don't use express checkout!
Old 09-14-09, 10:32 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34 View Post
I never wanted to kill someone for being technically inept.
Mention this on your next date, and you're so in there.
Old 09-14-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I always get behind women (it's always women) who wait for their stuff to be rung up & bagged before they even begin to dig around a payment method. It's like they're always surprised they actually have to pay.
Old 09-14-09, 10:35 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I once was behind some old lady at the self checkouts. That was an experience.. Not only could she not figure out how to use them, but she had way more then 20 items. Someone else waiting commented on that.. And she said she did have less then 20 because the same item counts as one. :headshake: She had at least 20 tubs of yogurt that she considered one item.

I also hate people that write checks... I wish they would get rid of them being accepted at stores.
Walmart a while back changed their check policies that they will still accept checks, but they scan them in and they come out of your account like a check/debit card. So you don't get the "grace" period like you used to. The cashier explained that to the person in front of me when I went there once. The person realizing that they didn't have the money in their account at that moment then had the cashier void the whole sale and return the check, before it was scanned in the register. Took forever to get a manager over to void it out.
Old 09-14-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yesterday, I was on line behind some assholes who were running an entire full cart of groceries through the self checkout, laughing and having a grand old time.

I mean, I'm happy they were having so much fun sucking, but damn.
Old 09-14-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What about people who just put their baskets on the belt instead of emptying them for the cashier?
Old 09-14-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe you are asking about killing these people. What is your problem? You need to get a handle on your emotions before you go to prison. It's just not worth it!
Old 09-14-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
I always get behind women (it's always women) who wait for their stuff to be rung up & bagged before they even begin to dig around a payment method. It's like they're always surprised they actually have to pay.
I hate this. At most places you have the ability to pay with a card BEFORE the items are rung up. As the clerk "beeps" the items you take care of business. At most you have to hit the "Accept" button.
Old 09-14-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 232 Posts

That's just as bad as people in line at a fast food place who wait until they get to the front of the line to look up at the menu and start deciding what they want.
Old 09-14-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
I always get stuck behind people writing checks at the market.
This especially sucks when you stop to grab a pop before work and get stuck behind some bastard writing one.
Old 09-14-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
What about people who just put their baskets on the belt instead of emptying them for the cashier?
I do this. Never saw a problem with it. Cashier has to scan the items one by one anyway and it saves room on the belt. It's not like it takes more time for the cashier. Chill out broham.
Old 09-14-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't tell you how many times I go to the grocery and end up in line behind some idiot
Try another store?
Old 09-14-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
I also hate people that write checks...
We're very fond of you, too.
Old 09-14-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
I also hate people that write checks... I wish they would get rid of them being accepted at stores.
Walmart a while back changed their check policies that they will still accept checks, but they scan them in and they come out of your account like a check/debit card. So you don't get the "grace" period like you used to. The cashier explained that to the person in front of me when I went there once. The person realizing that they didn't have the money in their account at that moment then had the cashier void the whole sale and return the check, before it was scanned in the register. Took forever to get a manager over to void it out.

Interesting, I have almost started a thread many times everytime after I get stuck behind someone at walmart writing a check. I thought that "floating" the money would be the only reason, someone would write a check, but if it comes out directly now. Why are people still writing checks? Been tempted many times to directly ask the people, but I guess that would be rude?

So, if there is any of you here that still write checks at the grocery store, please tell me why, I am honestly curious.
Old 09-14-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The second thread I ever started here at DVD Talk was about how I accidentally shamed someone into not writing a check in a checkout line (I had said to my wife "People still use checks?" and the person must have overheard and switched to a credit card). I remember Internet tough guys like Jackskeleton telling me how they'd have given me a beat down if it had been them in front of me.

Nine years later and not much has changed, it seems.
Old 09-14-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

instead of killing them, I propose to put these people on a floating ice shelf and let the frigid temperatures do the killing...

[me, washing my hands of situation]
Old 09-14-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh View Post
Interesting, I have almost started a thread many times everytime after I get stuck behind someone at walmart writing a check. I thought that "floating" the money would be the only reason, someone would write a check, but if it comes out directly now. Why are people still writing checks? Been tempted many times to directly ask the people, but I guess that would be rude?

So, if there is any of you here that still write checks at the grocery store, please tell me why, I am honestly curious.
my dad still insists on using checks. he doesn't need to float money or anything, just for some reason likes to write checks. i try to tell him otherwise, but nope, he still insists on doing it. btw, what's annoying is you can't get a refund until 15 days later when writing a check. i don't blame them, of course, but this has happened to my dad several times.
Old 09-14-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll write a check at the grocery store to float the funds for a couple days, the money doesn't come out directly, whatever that means. It takes a couple days for the funds to clear.
Old 09-14-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

By the way, this thread is a fun-fest of regional dialect and vocabulary. We have "buggy", "on line", and "pop" all in one thread.
Old 09-14-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Many stores don't treat checks as debt cards so there still is a "grace period" people can use.

When my bank "stole" my ATM card (long story) I had to wait about 10 days for a new one and was forced to use checks (it had been so long since I used the they still had my address from 3 moves ago).
Old 09-14-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
my dad still insists on using checks. he doesn't need to float money or anything, just for some reason likes to write checks. i try to tell him otherwise, but nope, he still insists on doing it. btw, what's annoying is you can't get a refund until 15 days later when writing a check. i don't blame them, of course, but this has happened to my dad several times.
What is his reason for insisting to use them?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.