Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Bank of America won't cash check without thumbprint from man with no arms - FLORIDA!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Bank of America won't cash check without thumbprint from man with no arms - FLORIDA!

Old 09-02-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

http://cbs4.com/watercooler/armless....2.1159300.html

Sometimes stories come around that fully put into context the "duh" in Florida. A Florida man born without arms was told by a Tampa area Bank of America that he could not cash a check with the bank because the bank required a thumbprint and he could not provide one!

Bank of America's thumbprint rule applies to people who don't have accounts with the banking giant, and Steve Valdez was not a Bank of America customer. The check, written by Valdez's wife, was presented with two forms of identification but was still denied the service without a thumbprint.

Valdez said a bank manager gave him the option of either coming back to the bank with his wife to cash the check, or open an account himself.

A Bank of America spokeswoman said the bank has apologized to Valdez and the bank should have "offered alternative requirements if an individual isn't able to give a thumbprint.
Old 09-02-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Bank of America won't cash check without thumbprint from man with no arms - FLORI

If I see someone having trouble, I try to give them a hand.
Old 09-02-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Bank of America won't cash check without thumbprint from man with no arms - FLORI

Instead of sitting around with their thumbs up their asses, they should have found a solution.
Old 09-02-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thumbs up to the apology call.
Old 09-02-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-02-09, 05:41 PM

I blame Obama for not granting this man his 2nd Amendment rights!
Old 09-02-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On the one hand, this guy probably could have just gone to his own bank. On the other hand, I applaud the bank's apology. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm sure this points out something about how stupid people can be about "going by the book." A manager should have been able to lend a hand to resolve the situation. I'd definitely thumb my nose at them if I was treated this way.
Old 09-02-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that BofA really shouldn't need to apologize for these strongarm tactics. I don't have enough fingers to count all the times some person or another has whined they should be exempt from a reasonable policy. Why can't they grasp the concept of equal application of rules? Do they have to raise their fist in the air in protest, out of some reflex?

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 09-02-09 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-02-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I would have just whipped out my dick.
Old 09-02-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I would have just whipped out my dick.
You just caused me to wonder how this guy pees. Thank you for that.
Old 09-02-09, 05:59 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

hi-five, salute, and round of applause to you all. you're all twisted
Old 09-02-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guess he took the arm and a leg thing too far before having second thoughts.
Old 09-02-09, 06:11 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm all up in arms over this.
Old 09-02-09, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

they should have taken him into custardy
Old 09-02-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Serious question: Are non-arm stub prints unique to an individual in a manner similar to thumb prints? One would think that would suffice.
Old 09-02-09, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They need to get a grip on their security policies.
Old 09-02-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No need for the bank to be a heel about it. What about a toe-print?
Old 09-02-09, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was a bank teller, we were probably the second bank in Kansas City to adopt the thumb print signature program. Some fool asked this question..what if a man came in with no arms? We were told (semi-seriously) to get a toe print in that situation, I suppose the manager not really thinking it would happen.
Old 09-02-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got to hand it to the guy, he really grabbed ahold of the publicity angle to get the public to wag their finger at BofA. They execs are probably doing a lot of hand-wringing over this one.
Old 09-02-09, 06:57 PM

Generic "Arm and a Leg" joke.....
Old 09-02-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

too late, can't think of anything handy to say.
Old 09-02-09, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
When I was a bank teller, we were probably the second bank in Kansas City to adopt the thumb print signature program. Some fool asked this question..what if a man came in with no arms? We were told (semi-seriously) to get a toe print in that situation, I suppose the manager not really thinking it would happen.
I went to school with a kid born w/o arms. This is totally reasonable - he used his legs and feet like arms. He took notes in class, opened his locker, changed out for gym all with his feet. Slip on shoes were his fav. thing obviously. At the prom he two dates - one for each his missing arms.
Old 09-02-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-02-09, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He should have thrown them the finger ... then again he still left empty-handed
Old 09-02-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You people are all going to hell.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.