Reload this Page >

Does p90x work?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Does p90x work?

Old 08-15-09, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does p90x work?

Well wasn't sure where to ask this question so I thought I would try on here
I saw the commercial on this and thought it made since.
Well has anyone ever used this? If so,what did you think?
IF anyone knows a better place(forum) to inquire about this please enlighten me.
Old 08-15-09, 08:57 AM

Re: Does p90x work?

I have the P90 (not the P90X) program done by the same people/trainer and can personally vouch that their programs do and will work if you stick with them. The program is not some kind of magic bullet. They'll have you working out six days a week alternating between aerobic and weight/muscle building workouts each day and they are pretty challenging if the exercises and weights are done properly. The benefits of the exercise program do not allow you to eat whatever you want, there is a diet program that must be followed as well. From my experience, the diet is at least 75% of the battle. If you are dedicated and determined, you'll definitely see results.

Last edited by mikelz777; 08-15-09 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-15-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search in the other forum. There is a thread about it there.
Old 08-15-09, 02:19 PM

I did P90X starting this past Feb-May and the results were unbelievable. I swear to God, it was the best thing I have ever done. It's certainly no walk in the park. It's a regimented, work-you-to-the-bone program that allows very little room for slacking. You need to exert yourself to the fullest extent in order to see the results (or close to) from the infomercial. It could also be expensive if you follow the nutrition plan to a T and make all the recipes they suggest. I didn't do that. Instead, I just altered my diet accordingly (ie: high protein diet for the first month) with what worked in my budget.

I have since not been as strict with following the plan, instead just doing the workouts here and there. Naturally, I havent seen as much of a progression, but doing it intently for 3 months gave me a good basis.

To answer your question, I would highly recommend it as with all Beach Body products.
Old 08-15-09, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
Do a search in the other forum. There is a thread about it there.
What "other forum"? or is there a website?
Old 08-15-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been doing it about 3 weeks, and I like it. It is every day and requires an hour to an hour and a half a day, so make sure you are committed or it won't do any good. The workouts are varied enough so I haven't gotten bored with it. Tonight is shouders/arms.
Old 08-16-09, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB View Post
What "other forum"? or is there a website?
The other forum is on DVDTalk. Look at the top left corner to choose a forum. Near the bottom is 'other.'
Old 08-17-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
The other forum is on DVDTalk. Look at the top left corner to choose a forum. Near the bottom is 'other.'
You know, you could have just given him the link thereby saving him AND anyone else interested from having to battle with the flaky-at-best search engine. Jeez.
Old 08-17-09, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan View Post
You know, you could have just given him the link thereby saving him AND anyone else interested from having to battle with the flaky-at-best search engine. Jeez.
The way Big Whoppa chose to explain it, SUPERMANROB will now know about all of the sub-forums at DVDTALK. He'll surely get sucked in, as so many of us did when they first visited "Other."

And, I noticed you didn't provide the link, either. Here it is: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...iscussion.html
Old 08-17-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
I've been doing it about 3 weeks, and I like it. It is every day and requires an hour to an hour and a half a day, so make sure you are committed or it won't do any good. The workouts are varied enough so I haven't gotten bored with it. Tonight is shouders/arms.
I just completed my 3 week also. It only works if you change your diet and stick to the program. I was a little overweight and there are major changes that I can see in the first 3 weeks. First, I lost 11 pounds and 1.5 inches off my waist. Week 4 is the recovery week and is a little easier. Some of the workouts I don't like (Yoga and Kenpo). I was in martial arts for 15+ years and find the Kenpo a little too easy for me. I decided to take what they offer on the DVD and incorporate what I learned over 15 years to make the workout more difficult. If you stick to the diet (this can be difficult for some) it will work. When (not if) you start the program you may need to start by doing push ups on your knees and until you can do they like normal. Don't become discouraged just because you can't do it on day one. It will come with time. You will need to stop eating out for lunch and dinner, cut out all the soda and flavored beverages, and eat healthy. If you can do this....you will be in great shave after the 90 days.

The hardest workout on the DVD set for me is Plyometrics (day 2). This just really kicks my ass.

As for the supplements...I only drink a protein drink (Premier Nutritont 30g of protein) in the morning when I wake up. Two hours later I eat Protein bar (Premier Nutritont 30g of protein), and finally I take one Potassium Gluconate (99mg of potassium) so I am not soar during the day. Total cost per month is about $65.00 for supplements. You can go all out and buy the BeachBody products and it may help you more. I just don't want to pump my body full of supplements.

Last edited by TheKobra; 08-17-09 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry but since it was not my question, I wasn't that interested. Nice of Renee to do it for the OP.
Old 08-17-09, 05:44 PM

I started P90 back in 2004 and the results were very satisfying. In 2004, I fell off the wagon and it ran over me. I bought the 10-Minute Trainer (Tony Horton as well) and it is much better for me because they are short workouts. I purchased the P90X program about 8 months ago, looked at some of the workouts and cursed out the tv. I haven't even tried those. This thread is motivating me to try it though.

As for diet, I've read Paul McKenna's "I Can Make You Thin" and I've lost almost 50 lbs since the first of March without any exercise. That book has changed my life. Now that I am no longer addicted to food, I know that these workouts will really help me because I need to get toned up. The only thing that bothers me about P90 and P90X is getting motivated to do it. As soon as I get up in the morning one of the main things on my mind is doing the workout, and thinking about it like that stresses me out. They are also long workouts IMO, so you really need to pace yourself and try not to keep up with Tony initially because he is a machine. After 6 months on P90, there were still some things that I couldn't keep up with Tony on (mainly the Max push-ups).

These sets also keep in the 'bloopers' which I like because sometimes the people that Tony hire to exercise with him will mess up completely but it makes me feel better about not being perfect. The guy who almost falls over while doing the hamstring stretch in P90 is the funniest. The only workouts I tend to skip or prematurely are the ab workouts because they kill my lower back.

If you are just starting on a workout regimen altogether, I recommend the 10-minute trainer. These sets are designed for you to go through gradually. P90 should come before P90X any way.

Last edited by mraw; 08-17-09 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-18-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by VicVega View Post
To answer your question, I would highly recommend it as with all Beach Body products.
Completely agree! I have done Power Half Hour, P90, P90 Master series and P90X. All are hard workouts but excellent if you stick to them.

My wife and I just finished Chalean Extreme and while I liked it, I kinda missed Tony. I definitely gained some muscle on it as it is very concentrated on dumbbell lifting.

We are currently in the middle of the new Beachbody workout "Insanity" done by Shawn T. I highly recommend it if you don't have any weights but are in decent shape. If you are not in decent shape...beware. It is a hard heavy duty cardio workout and is not for the squeamish.

I have P90X+ but have yet to do it. I would also like to try Tony's 1-on-1 series but it is damn expensive. Well, all of these sets are expensive but it is cheaper than going than going to a gym in the long run.

My issue is just sticking to the diet. I prefer doing Weight Watchers while doing these workouts and incorporating some of their suggestions in with the WW diet. But I still cheat all the time.
Old 08-18-09, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post

I have P90X+ but have yet to do it. I would also like to try Tony's 1-on-1 series but it is damn expensive. Well, all of these sets are expensive but it is cheaper than going than going to a gym in the long run.
I'm with you on this. I feel like if I have two or more of Beachbody's programs, it's pretty easy to mix and match all I want. They stalk you with the e-mails, though. I still get e-mails from them at least three times a week, and I last purchased something from them 2 years ago! (I purchased P90X on Amazon Marketplace).
Old 10-24-09, 10:28 AM

I just finished my first week of P90X! My body has never felt to strong in my life. I downloaded i90 Workbook from the App store on my iphone. I used to program to record my p90X workout stats and record my photos. I cant wait to see the difference in my body from my first week to my last week. I should finish just in time for the beach. Bring it!

Bruce
Old 08-28-10, 11:55 AM

I just finish Chalean Extreme ,i feel very confident for my body
Old 08-28-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did the program last year and it does absolutely work. It's intense so I do suggest having a workout partner to do it with you. Also, try not to allow it to burn you out. If you do all that work and don't segue into another type of workout at the end of the program (which I ended up doing because I got burned out) then you will definitely lose the results, not right away, but eventually.
Old 08-29-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As with any exercise program or equipment, it works if you keep up with it.

You'd also want to start at P90 before moving up to P90x, or you'll with you were dead.
Old 08-30-10, 09:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 131 Likes on 97 Posts

thereby saving him AND anyone else interested from having to battle with the flaky-at-best search engine. Jeez.
I think you're doing it wrong. The search system here usually works great, in my experience, if you choose the correct of the 57 different search buttons strewn all over the place.

Hit the middle "user cp through log out" task bar search arrow, click advanced, type in p90x for thread searches, and two threads pop up. This one and the linked one.

Fwiw, I keep that search page linked in my sig for my own, and anyone else's, use.
Old 09-02-10, 02:45 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moved to Other Forum from Hot Deals Forum.
Old 09-02-10, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
As with any exercise program or equipment, it works if you keep up with it.
This.

Check "us" out in the biggest loser thread for lots of discussion on getting healthy. While name stolen from the show about losing weight, not everyone in the thread is trying to lose weight. We have discussions on everything from nutrition, gaining muscle, running, equipment, etc....

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...010-pt-ii.html

Though I agree there are lots of programs (and some you can make up yourself) that "work" to really answer your question, you have to define what "work" is. Do you want to lose weight? Run in a marathon? Gain muscle? Lower blood pressure?
Old 09-02-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

i don't personally have experience with it, but my cousin used it and lost like 21 pounds in a few months.
Old 09-02-10, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have it. In fact, the box has been sitting right here in my office. The box hasn't lost any weight or put on any muscle, so I'm not sure it's even worth opening.
Old 09-02-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow !! Intense workouts and diet gets you in shape ??? AMAZING !!

People love to pay for 'programs' and gimmicks. There's no secret to any of them (although all the stuff on tv implies they have found the magic exercises).. workout hard and watch what you eat. Problem with all these videos is that your eventually going to get bored and stop using them. If you need someone to yell at you to exercise go to class at your local gym.
Old 09-02-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If the videos get people to work hard and eat right, I see no problem with them.

It's the gimmicky solutions that are worthless.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.