Other Talk "Otterville"

YAPT: PETA Unhappy meals targeting Kids

Old 08-07-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YAPT: PETA Unhappy meals targeting Kids

Here we go again:

http://www.slashfood.com/2009/08/07/...targeting-kids

Kids hoping to grab a Happy Meal from McDonald's might end up with PETA's Unhappy Meal instead.

The animal rights organization lifted its moratorium on the McCruelty Campaign this year and since June has distributed Chicken McCruelty Unhappy Meals to McDonald's customers outside about a dozen restaurants around the country.

"McDonald's markets its food to children by packaging it in brightly colored boxes with toys," Lindsay Rajt, a spokeswoman for PETA, tells Slashfood. "But most kids really love animals, and if they knew that McDonald's suppliers were breaking the wings and legs of gentle animals like chickens, I think that you'd have to drag kids into McDonald's kicking and screaming."

The campaign, though, has parents "hatin' it."

A PETA protest of a McDonald's in Albany, N.Y., upset parents on Thursday, WXXA-TV reports.

"I don't want my son to be around something like this," parent Stephanie Gipson told the station. "This is not fair for a child."

But Rajt says children have seen worse things than PETA's Unhappy Meal, which comes "stained with blood" and containing a bloody rubber chicken, a cutout of a knife-wielding Ronald McDonald, photos of mutilated animals and a Chicken McCruelty T-shirt.

"Kids deserve to be told the truth and we really do need to give them credit," she says. "The bottom line is that they've really seen much worse in movies and videogames, and we all know that kids empathize with animals."

McDonald's told Slashfood that it expects the humane treatment of animals from its suppliers.

Our goal has always been to lead the industry by bringing about improvements in animal welfare including rigorous, ongoing audits of our suppliers' facilities.

"McDonald's works with leading independent animal welfare experts and makes decisions based upon science to promote continuous improvement in animal welfare as part of our broader sustainable supply chain initiatives," Bob Langert, McDonald's vice president of corporate social responsibility, says in a statement to Slashfood.

"McDonald's continues to support our chicken suppliers' use of both controlled atmosphere stunning (CAS) and electrical stunning. There is no conclusive scientific consensus that one practice is better than the other, however, we recognize that in either method, good management practices are critical," he says. "It is also important to note that in the U.S., there are no large-scale chicken producers that currently use the CAS method, therefore demands to purchase chickens from this method to meet McDonald's supply needs are not viable."

PETA says it worked with McDonald's behind the scenes from 2000 to February 2009 before it re-instituted its McCruelty campaign. A PETA protest was expected Friday afternoon at a restaurant in South Burlington, Vt.
Can they just go away lol?

Old 08-07-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAPT: PETA Unhappy meals targeting Kids

Unhappy meals? MST3k did it first. Invention exchange episode #422, short Here Comes the Circus!, movie The Day the Earth Froze. My favorite episode.

Come up with something original, you mouth breathing freaks.
Old 08-07-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Here we go again:

http://www.slashfood.com/2009/08/07/...targeting-kids

Can they just go away lol?

those are pretty cool! how can i get some of those?
Old 08-07-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
Unhappy meals? MST3k did it first. Invention exchange episode #422, short Here Comes the Circus!, movie The Day the Earth Froze. My favorite episode.

Come up with something original, you mouth breathing freaks.
I don't know how I missed it, but I never saw that one until recently, and I watched almost all of Season 4 in its original broadcast. Fucking hilarious.

Sampo!
Old 08-07-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Sampo!
Ask for it by name!

Last edited by crazyronin; 08-07-09 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-07-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
those are pretty cool! how can i get some of those?
Me too! They look fun!

Also, not that we don't all already know it, but PETA is a fucked up group for targeting kids with this kind of propaganda. Kids like animals and the ones who don't will eventually be found, tarred & feathered accordingly.
Old 08-07-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Sampo
Old 08-07-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Sampo
Kids come running for the rich taste of Sampo.

Last edited by crazyronin; 08-07-09 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-07-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid PETA, like they use real chicken at McDonalds.
Old 08-07-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Kids come running for the sweet taste of Sampo.

One of my favorites.
Old 08-08-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As much as I think PETA is a crack pot terrorist organization no better than people who bomb abortion clinics and kill abortion doctors for their "cause," I do agree with this statement:

"McDonald's markets its food to children by packaging it in brightly colored boxes with toys," Lindsay Rajt, a spokeswoman for PETA, tells Slashfood. "But most kids really love animals, and if they knew that McDonald's suppliers were breaking the wings and legs of gentle animals like chickens, I think that you'd have to drag kids into McDonald's kicking and screaming."
I really do think kids would NOT want to eat meat if they realized where it came from. Adults tend to be more hardened by this, and disregard it completely, but kids are different.

But instead of opening up an intelligent dialog about it and proposing positive change, they always resort to the shock value. I guess the intelligent dialog would never get the media attention, though.

Last edited by calhoun07; 08-08-09 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-08-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f6F8UBcjmO4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f6F8UBcjmO4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-08-09, 12:08 PM

..if they knew that McDonald's suppliers were breaking the wings and legs of gentle animals like chickens, I think that you'd have to drag kids into McDonald's kicking and screaming.
Yes, drag them. Drag them all!! Break their arms and legs and deep fry them, I need my Children McNuggets fix!
Old 08-08-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
As much as I think PETA is a crack pot terrorist organization no better than people who bomb abortion clinics and kill abortion doctors for their "cause," I do agree with this statement:

I really do think kids would NOT want to eat meat if they realized where it came from. Adults tend to be more hardened by this, and disregard it completely, but kids are different.

But instead of opening up an intelligent dialog about it and proposing positive change, they always resort to the shock value. I guess the intelligent dialog would never get the media attention, though.
Being in a farm community where kids do know where food comes from, and where kids raise animals for the fair knowing they will be sold and slaughtered at the end of the day, trust me.....they would still eat them.

Especially if they came in brightly colored packaging.
Old 08-08-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post

i knew someone who grew up on the farm cutting off pigs testicles with clippers and laughed about it
Old 08-08-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Kids come running for the rich taste of Sampo.
Old 08-08-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i knew someone who grew up on the farm cutting off pigs testicles with clippers and laughed about it
You knew KVRDave as a kid?

Ok, then, probably a lot of "city slicker" kids might be different.
Old 08-08-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've yet to meet a kid old enough to eat a happy meal on their own that didn't know that a chicken McNugget was from a chicken. Pulling this shit on kids is just messed up. They do know that those toys are made from plastic right? Pumping dangerous chemicals into the environment that kills birds and fish? Or that paper comes from clear-cutting trees right? Oh that's right... those fuckers actually excuse companies that do things that hurt animals when THEY have need of it. They'll just picket the guys next door... Just like how they kill animals by the friggin' frozen dumpster full yet have the nerve to picket McDonalds.

PETA is a fucking terrorist organization. If you love animals support your local pet adoption society or shelter.
Old 08-08-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
PETA is a fucking terrorist organization. If you love animals support your local pet adoption society or shelter.
They do more harm than good yet they're too stupid to know it.
Old 08-09-09, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I take the kid to McDonalds twice a week. Mainly because it has a really nice playground and the other indoor playgrounds never have any other kids to play with. And I, myself, get to take a break from work and read for a couple hours.

She knows that we kill and cut up chickens and cows to get our Happy Meals. But I haven't told her that we stick cows in building where they never see daylight. And we clutter in the chickens till they peck out each others' eyes out.
Old 08-09-09, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

And how many members does PETA have? Can we just cut them up and start feeding them to poor kids in Africa?
Old 08-09-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't like taking my kids to McDs more for health reasons than for animal cruelty. We do still go from time to time and after reading this I told my one daughter what they do to the chickens to get her nuggets and she was fine with it.
Old 08-09-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Honestly, they could probably make chicken nuggets out of the neighbor's cats, and I wouldn't care.