Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

here's the original thread:

Biggest Loser 2009

Just continuing.
Old 08-03-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Biggest Loser 2009 Part 2

Part 1

The thing with flavored water is that most of them if not all contain substances that are bad for you. So not only are they devoid of nutrients, they contain harmful stuff. I haven't been able to drop them and use 4-5 packets a day.
Old 08-03-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Oh, I just did part 2 of my workout and weighted myself and I'm down to 222.6, which is 12 lbs lighter than I was the day I bought the scale! That was July 8th. I still can't see the change, but my wife says she is noticing and the scale tells me it is working.
Old 08-04-09, 08:03 AM

zombeaner, have you tried carbonated mineral water? I drink a glass of Pellegrino with a squeeze of lime in the evenings. So delicious.
Old 08-04-09, 02:51 PM

What is brand name of the flavored water from Walmart? It's difficult to find a flavored water that doesn't have either sugar or artificial sweetener in it. There's one I've found by President's Choice that has a cucumber flavor that's surprisingly delicious. They also have lemon.

For the most part, I add a little lemon to my water and call it a day.
Old 08-04-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Couple of notes form today/tonight,

When I changed to go to the gym I weighed myself.

Did 45 minutes on the elliptical (kids were with me so I didn't do a full hour). I built up a good sweat, but not outrageous and drank 2-3 bottles of water. When I got back from the gym I ate some dinner. A plain Cheese burger on wheat bun, handful of baby carrots and probably a cup maybe two of grapes and a large Diet Dr. Pepper. Little bit of a big dinner for me, but I ate good all day. And I had made hamburgers for everyone else, and they were yummy!

After eating I went to shower and after taking off all my clothing, I weighed myself. Gained 2.5 pounds...LOL.....I'm assuming it is all fluids. Salt on the hamburger, couple bottles of water and large Diet drink...LOL...

45 minutes of elliptical got me:

460 calories burned
62% average heart rate
79% max heart rate
Old 08-05-09, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
After eating I went to shower and after taking off all my clothing, I weighed myself. Gained 2.5 pounds...LOL.....I'm assuming it is all fluids. Salt on the hamburger, couple bottles of water and large Diet drink...LOL...
Best time to weigh yourself is in the morning after you've relieved yourself of all said fluids and food. Ahem.

Weighed myself this morning and I'm at 170. Haven't been exercising as much, but have been keeping an eye on what I eat. I've been being more socially active which has started to cause me to start drinking again. Not the greatest idea (as I stopped drinking for the past four months during the weight loss period), but I think once I get back to the gym on a regular/active basis again, I think I'll be good to go (and hopefully I'll stop drinking again).

It's crazy to think that four months ago I was weighing over 210 pounds and now that I'm 170. It's good to know that this time in my life is that I actually took away something from the weight loss and learned best practices on exercise and eating healthy.

Before (this past January trying my best to do a Fat Jesus impersonation):

After (Sunday night at the Robot Chicken on Wheels party):
Old 08-05-09, 06:58 AM

zombeaner: Good Job! It took me almost 20 lbs before I felt like a change was noticable myself, even though I had gotten comments before than. I

Sdallnct: I think you're doing great, keep up the good work!

Matthew Chmiel: Good Job on losing 40 lbs! It's great that you've learned healthier habits and will be able to stick with them. That's the key for sure.

Water idea, I have made a pitcher of water the night before and cut up lemons, limes, cucumbers, a little ginger and even placed mint leaves in the pitcher. Pretty tasty the next day when I remember.

I've been trying to eat more for breakfast in an attempt to more evenly balance out my meals and have found my new favorite breakfast. Blueberries (1/2 cup), Cinammon Pecan Special K (3/4 cup), Light and Fit Yogurt (8 oz cup) and 1/4 cup walnuts. Yummy!
Old 08-05-09, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cwikoff View Post
Matthew Chmiel: Good Job on losing 40 lbs! It's great that you've learned healthier habits and will be able to stick with them. That's the key for sure.

I've been trying to eat more for breakfast in an attempt to more evenly balance out my meals and have found my new favorite breakfast. Blueberries (1/2 cup), Cinammon Pecan Special K (3/4 cup), Light and Fit Yogurt (8 oz cup) and 1/4 cup walnuts. Yummy!
Thanks for the words.

Have you tried the Light and Fit smoothies? 50-60 calories each and they're great if you're trying to get out the door and haven't had breakfast yet. If I haven't had breakfast and I need to leave the house (like this morning will become), I grab one of those and a light string cheese.
Old 08-05-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup...looking great Matthew!

How tall are you? I've lost a good deal of weight, but I know I'm still technically "fat". Some friends have actually told me I shouldn't lose more. But I'm thinking I will. I looking to lose another 10-15 lbs by November.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-05-09 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-05-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

5'8".

According to the BMI, I'm still overweight and I don't even enter "normal weight" territory until I weigh around 164-165.

I have a lot of friends and family that say that I've lost too much too soon and that I should stop, but honestly, I feel that I personally could lose 10-20 more pounds.
Old 08-05-09, 07:38 PM

Hell, I'm 5'5" and I'm aiming for 175-180. I have a really broad frame, and when I have been down to "normal" weight, I look like a ghost. I support 180 lbs pretty fashionably.
Old 08-05-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Me at Margaritaville, LV about 20 months ago.

Me at Margaritaville, LV two weeks ago:

I was about 273-275 in the first photo and 204 in the second. I'm 5'11", not quite 6'. Everything I have read says I should be in the low 170's. But I'd like to get below 195, maybe 190 and see how it goes.

I actually lost it all by end of January early February this year. I've been "maintaining" since then, trying to get in better shape while not worried about further weight loss. Other then gaining 6-8 lbs when I took up running (and since losing it back), been fairly steady.

But with a 20 year anniversary cruise coming up in November, and I want to run a 5K on the ship, I want to lose another 10-15 lbs for that.
Old 08-06-09, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Today is the last day of week 5 and I've lost 11 lbs (215->204).

No diet, just try to maximize protein and fiber and try to minimize carbs/calories/fat/sugar/sodium.

Try to eat between 1200 and 1600 calories a day.

If I had to do it all over again I'd skip the gym. Although since I paid $575 - $200 for the Body Bugg, that's $375 for three years or $125 a year or $10.42 a month, I'm not TOO heartbroken about it. And I AM going to use it for the pool and once I get a bit more advanced for the free weights. But to start with I am doing 6 weeks of Slim-in-6 and 90 days of P90X. After that I may be going to the gym for heavy weights workout.

I get my measurements taken again in 5 weeks (and they were taken 4 weeks ago). Interested to see what happens.

I also think I've built more muscle and haven't lost any of the one I had, so I think I've lost more than 11 pounds.

I'm about 20% through New Lifting Rules for Women and plan to do it in conjunction with SI6 as soon as I finish it. Don't know if I'll do it with the gym or with my Bodylastics bands. My Beach Body SI6 DVDs came with ONE band and I'm hooked on it, I didn't know bands could recreate weights so effectively. The DVD I'm on now (first two weeks) does a row, biceps, triceps (which kills me), and one more I can't remember now.

Bodylastics goes up to 254lbs or 127 lbs per side. I think that may hold me for a while.
Old 08-06-09, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great job zombeaner, Matthew & Sdallnct!!

Last edited by nevermind; 08-06-09 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-06-09, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Today is the last day of week 5 and I've lost 11 lbs (215->204).

No diet, just try to maximize protein and fiber and try to minimize carbs/calories/fat/sugar/sodium.

Try to eat between 1200 and 1600 calories a day.

If I had to do it all over again I'd skip the gym. Although since I paid $575 - $200 for the Body Bugg, that's $375 for three years or $125 a year or $10.42 a month, I'm not TOO heartbroken about it. And I AM going to use it for the pool and once I get a bit more advanced for the free weights. But to start with I am doing 6 weeks of Slim-in-6 and 90 days of P90X. After that I may be going to the gym for heavy weights workout.

I get my measurements taken again in 5 weeks (and they were taken 4 weeks ago). Interested to see what happens.

I also think I've built more muscle and haven't lost any of the one I had, so I think I've lost more than 11 pounds.

I'm about 20% through New Lifting Rules for Women and plan to do it in conjunction with SI6 as soon as I finish it. Don't know if I'll do it with the gym or with my Bodylastics bands. My Beach Body SI6 DVDs came with ONE band and I'm hooked on it, I didn't know bands could recreate weights so effectively. The DVD I'm on now (first two weeks) does a row, biceps, triceps (which kills me), and one more I can't remember now.

Bodylastics goes up to 254lbs or 127 lbs per side. I think that may hold me for a while.
Good job Deb! Keep it up!

I would still think about using the gym. Can you do your SI6 at the gym? I see a lot of people doing things at the gym. For example when I add push ups to my routine this weekend, I plan on doing them at the gym. If you like those programs what about some of the X-classes?

For me it works that "I have to get to the gym". That keeps me motivated. At home I have to many distractions, to many reasons not to work out. However, I could see if you had everything you needed and can stick to it, it would be nice. My parents actually have set up a "gym" room in their house. Nice treadmill, universal, free weights, TV, the whole bit. They both still joined the gym as "being home" they just found they wouldn't use it.

What about the elliptical? I thought you were getting into that?

Don't fall into the myth of "muscle weights more then fat". It doesn't. 5 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat weight exactly the same. 5 pounds. Now 5 pounds of muscle takes up less space than fat. So it is possible you are smaller, but weight the same. That is important to know if you are attempting to lose weight. But don't get to excited about that. Most people don't gain enough muscle to really make a difference in that. That doesn't mean you shouldn't tone and get in some muscle, but if your overweight, if you happen to gain a few pounds in muscle isn't going to mean your no longer overweight.

Also remember "fat does not turn into muscle". They are two different things. You can lose fat. You can build muscle. But technically there are no "turning one into the other".
Old 08-06-09, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I do think I look different, which is what I meant by turning fat into muscle. Fat being burned off and muscle being built, so you can weight the same but look differently. I will definitely know in 5 weeks when I get my 11-week measurements

I will definitely be using the gym once I get into better shape, mostly for their Kickboxing and other fitness classes. I get very discouraged going to group exercise classes so I want to wait until I finish P90X for that, and the clean, maintained, excrement-free pool is worth the money.

I'm reading the New Lifting Rules For Women and they say that the elliptical really doesn't do much for fat burning. You burn a few hundred calories with a half-one hour of work, but you can get the same results with quick, heavy lifting, which also works your endurance. They say elliptical is mostly for endurance. So they say you can get the same results with less work because you are manipulating the exercises and your body in a way that uses your body's mechanisms smarter and more efficiently. The reviews are great and people see great results after a few weeks of their program. I'm 25% done with the book. I might need the gym for their weights program, which I'll start within the next two weeks.

I love working out at home. For some reason motivation isn't a problem for me now. Every day I had to go to the gym, I went. I've done the SI6 for 4 days now. I'm going to change it up a bit and instead of doing Ramp It Up! for 2 weeks and Burn It Up! for 4, I'm going to finish out this week (2 more days + 1 day rest) with Ramp It Up! and then do Burn It Up! for five weeks. Got the idea from the Team Beach Body boards.

So the gym will come into play, but maybe in 4 months or so. I do need to get the Body Bugg so I was thinking half an hour of a bike a day while I read at the gym so that I get my showing-up credits
Old 08-06-09, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I do think I look different, which is what I meant by turning fat into muscle. Fat being burned off and muscle being built, so you can weight the same but look differently. I will definitely know in 5 weeks when I get my 11-week measurements

I will definitely be using the gym once I get into better shape, mostly for their Kickboxing and other fitness classes. I get very discouraged going to group exercise classes so I want to wait until I finish P90X for that, and the clean, maintained, excrement-free pool is worth the money.

I'm reading the New Lifting Rules For Women and they say that the elliptical really doesn't do much for fat burning. You burn a few hundred calories with a half-one hour of work, but you can get the same results with quick, heavy lifting, which also works your endurance. They say elliptical is mostly for endurance. So they say you can get the same results with less work because you are manipulating the exercises and your body in a way that uses your body's mechanisms smarter and more efficiently. The reviews are great and people see great results after a few weeks of their program. I'm 25% done with the book. I might need the gym for their weights program, which I'll start within the next two weeks.

I love working out at home. For some reason motivation isn't a problem for me now. Every day I had to go to the gym, I went. I've done the SI6 for 4 days now. I'm going to change it up a bit and instead of doing Ramp It Up! for 2 weeks and Burn It Up! for 4, I'm going to finish out this week (2 more days + 1 day rest) with Ramp It Up! and then do Burn It Up! for five weeks. Got the idea from the Team Beach Body boards.

So the gym will come into play, but maybe in 4 months or so. I do need to get the Body Bugg so I was thinking half an hour of a bike a day while I read at the gym so that I get my showing-up credits
Well I guess I'll just have to disagree with your book...LOL....most recent articles say nothing is better for calorie burning then cardio. I will agree that the elliptical is not the most efficient of the machines (tho I'd argue if you don't hold on it is better then a bike since you are standing and balancing). Now that I have a more accurate heart rate monitor, I agree that 30 minutes of running/jogging burns more then when I'm on the elliptical. But then I lost 70lbs in about 14-15 months doing elliptical almost exclusively. So I got nothing but love for the elliptical...LOL...remember it is not the machine, but the heart rate. And how long can you keep it up.

The biggest problem I see with people on the cardio machines is they simply don't push themselves. I see people reading the newspaper/or a paperback book while doing it. And after 30 minutes, they didn't even break a sweat! What a waste. While I watch my heart rate monitor, my basic "test" is how much I sweat....LOL

It sounds like you have skipped to medium/advance workouts. I admit I started really slow. I remember my first time day at the gym. I did the elliptical on manual (level with ground)at level 1 and barely made it 15 minutes at a petty slow pace in fact, barely walking pace...LOL. I didn't add weights for 6 months. And then very light weights. Now I can go an hour or more at level 8 doing on one of the mountain or interval programs at a pace that puts me at 6 miles.

But I will admit, it is what "works for you". I'm actually trying not to be upset with wife. She also wants to also lose weight for our November cruise. I offered to get her a gym membership (not only do I have one, but I got both the kids ones). But she is doing some program where you "drink" a meal replacement protein type drink for breakfast and lunch and a "sensible" dinner. OOOOOOK.....are you going to do that for the rest of your life? If not why are you doing it now??? I'm eating 5 meals a day! But I guess if it works for her, it works for her....For working out she is doing the Wii Fit. Now some of that stuff is challenging, but far as I can tell she has yet to break a sweat. And for me, no sweat...no gain!

I do think your doing great...keep it up!!!
Old 08-06-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Well I guess I'll just have to disagree with your book...LOL....most recent articles say nothing is better for calorie burning then cardio.
The problem is, people use the word cardio and aerobics interchangeably with endurance type exercises. They shouldn't be. Weightlifting can be "cardio" if done properly.

Lifting weights at a leisurely pace is like walking at a leisurely pace.
Old 08-06-09, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

A body with a higher % of muscle burns more calories in a day. Simple as that.

Great job everyone!
Old 08-06-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, they do say that most people lift weights wrong. That you shouldn't do a weight that will allow you 15 reps because that's for endurance, not real muscle building. Get in, get out. Their program is to do something heavy enough to only last you 4-5 reps. Then when you start building up muscle your resting metabolic rate goes up, after working out your metabolism goes up... pretty much do stuff to the body that makes you burn calories even while you're not at the gym. Doing the elliptical burns calories at the gym... not so much afterwards. Doing their weights program balances out calories burned the whole day (and may even be more, I haven't finished it yet).

They stress smarter, not harder. Just because you're doing something for a long time doesn't mean it will give you more results that doing something better for less time. Which is why I'm hitting the books

P.S. The SI6 has cardio elements and weight lifting elements... tons of stomach exercises... squats, lunges, push-ups, crunches, legwork, armwork with bands, running, marching... tons of good stuff.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-06-09 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-06-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I had to do it all over again I'd skip the gym.
Old 08-06-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Doing the elliptical burns calories at the gym... not so much afterwards. Doing their weights program balances out calories burned the whole day (and may even be more, I haven't finished it yet).

P.S. The SI6 has cardio elements and weight lifting elements... tons of stomach exercises... squats, lunges, push-ups, crunches, legwork, armwork with bands, running, marching... tons of good stuff.
Be careful with that. "Lifting burns calories even when not lifting". Most current research says it is not nearly as much as originally thought. More? Yes, but not significantly.

I just did a quick Google, but there are many articles out. And I wish I could find that recent Mens Health article. It said essentially the same thing. For burning calories, Cardio is still king.

Of course their are other benefits to lifting/weights. Many others And "every little bit help". Just I think the idea that weights burn calories after you are done at the gym has been significantly overblown.

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?p...h_as_you_think
Old 08-06-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, they do say that most people lift weights wrong. That you shouldn't do a weight that will allow you 15 reps because that's for endurance, not real muscle building. Get in, get out. Their program is to do something heavy enough to only last you 4-5 reps. .
Not everyone is looking to bulk up, get ripped and look like a meathead. Some of us are using the weights FOR endurance because we have the muscle and want to change the way it's used. That still builds muscle, as when you hit the end of your set - muscles will be burning, tight, and exercised if you do it right.

If I was looking to bulk up, I'd do heavy weight low reps. I'm looking to tighten, strengthen and add endurance, so I go lighter. Is that wrong? According to you, yes. But it's not.
Old 08-06-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I added a 4th set to my reps on Monday. Monday I while tough I was able to finish using my normal weights.

Last night "it hit". I had to lower the weights a touch on the 4th set to finish on a couple of them.

But I did get a good workout in. I'm thinking it was something like,

490 calories burned
66% of max average heart rate
84% of max, max

And I did 25 minutes of elliptical and about 20 minutes of weights. I had worked up to an hour at the gym, but kids have been going with me, which I like but they don't go an hour and I don't want them to push to much.

I also figured out my heart rate monitor will recommend me workout based on the goals I set. Somewhat interestingly it is based on your heart rate being in deferent zones for different amounts of time. Might try that....hummm

http://www.polarusa.com/oldtt/F11/Ch...reate_kuf.html

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-06-09 at 12:11 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.