Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Old 08-06-09, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions View Post
I dare you to ask how many apps she's got for both of her ipod touches or kindles.
I have over 75 apps for my Kindles! I love the Kindle app store!
Old 08-06-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Can't remember what but something in women slows down considerably after age 34 and I'm 31, so if I'm going to shed the weight it's going to be now.
Sexual desire?

Oh wait I think you mean metabolism.
Old 08-06-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Sexual desire?

Oh wait I think you mean metabolism.
Ultimately it's metabolism but there's a chemical in particular that all but stops being produced around 34.
Old 08-06-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sometimes this thread really makes my brain hurt... And yet I keep coming back to it. Like a moth to a flame Im mesmerized by it.
Old 08-06-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would say $825 is more "almost $800" than "almost $900" but oh well... you could also say it's "almost $1000!"
I was counting the shoes you were planning on buying soon. That's another $60 at least, so $885. Now, not totally sure here, but that looks closer to $900 than $800 to me...
Old 08-06-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't regret a single penny I've spent on this, and I can almost guarantee it will pay off considerably over my lifetime.
I would imagine that you don't regret many things that you buy. For someone that is so considerably in debt such as yourself, there are much cheaper ways that you could have gone about this. Yes, it's important to get healthy and lose weight, but don't use it as a justification for all the stuff you buy. It's way too transparent.
Old 08-06-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Sometimes this thread really makes my brain hurt... And yet I keep coming back to it. Like a moth to a flame Im mesmerized by it.
I slow down past accidents, too. I'm not proud to admit it, but I do.
Old 08-06-09, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I did not feel like working out tonight. I thought I'd take a day off. But I didn't. Had a good workout after all.

45 minutes elliptical (includes 4 minutes of warm up and 4 minutes of cool down)
480 calories burned
68% average max heart rate
83% max heart rate (I actually pushed it a little the last 5 minutes or so).
Old 08-06-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love seeing the before and after pics in these threads. It's truly inspirational. I wish I had the money to eat better since I have a gym membership literally going to waste.

I don't have the first clue about dieting, proper exercise habits, and all that crap. I could stand to lose quite a bit of weight. I always plan on it but I'm always too lazy to start anything.

Any recommendations?
Old 08-06-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

check out thedailyplate.com for food calorie/fat/etc tracking. It's free - and can help you get the right amount of food with what you normally eat.
Old 08-06-09, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
I love seeing the before and after pics in these threads. It's truly inspirational. I wish I had the money to eat better since I have a gym membership literally going to waste.

I don't have the first clue about dieting, proper exercise habits, and all that crap. I could stand to lose quite a bit of weight. I always plan on it but I'm always too lazy to start anything.

Any recommendations?
To get started don't make it complicated or difficult. Simply keep in mind to lose weight you have to burn more calories then you take in over a given period of time (day/week).

Just start by figuring out how many calories you burn in a day. There are many on line calculators to help you. Next, figure out what calories you are eating now, and just eat less of them to get you a 10-15% less then what you burn in a day. Personally I wouldn't worry to much about WHAT your eating to start. Just eat less! Split your restaurant meals, etc.

Now I'm assuming your eating some good things. If you literally are eating nothing but fries and ice cream, then yea, your going to have to change that.

For exercise, don't stress it! Just start, start slow. Go for walks or if you have a gym walk on a treadmill or elliptical. But start somewhere. Heck see if you can walk at a comfortable pace for 10 or 15 minutes. Do that every other day for a week. Then at 10-15% more time the next week and repeat.

IMO, just start. Then learn as you go. Don't use "not knowing" as an excuse. You already know a lot. You know you should be moving and getting your heart rate up. You know you shouldn't eat ice cream all day...you know more then you think and enough to get started.
Old 08-06-09, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

LOL...L&O gave similar suggestions!!!
Old 08-07-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Try to maximize protein and fiber and minimize everything else (calories, fats, carbs, sodium, and sugar, etc.)
Old 08-07-09, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Out of curiosity Deb, how much weight have you lost so far? Has your $800+ investment paid off yet?

My gym membership is only $10 a month with this place right by my house. It's only about a mile or so away so I plan on riding a bike there when I can when the heat seizes. Hopefully this will get me on the right track. I think part of the key is making working out part of your usual regiment instead of something you have to do.
Old 08-07-09, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

5 weeks to the day, 11 lbs. A week from tomorrow I'll post 2-week Slim-in-6 pictures.
Old 08-07-09, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

5 weeks to the day, 11 lbs. A week from tomorrow I'll post 2-week Slim-in-6 pictures.
Good for you.

Okay I rifled through most of the last thread but it's a bit jumbled.. most of it is interesting.

Some quick recommendations. I'm not a breakfast eater and never have been. I'd like to change that if it will help me meet my goals. I also need advice on snacks (is it true eating more throughout the day keeps your metabolism going), good vegetables and fruits to eat, and overall how long of a workout routine I should endure.

I've read working out in the morning is a good idea (I'm usually up at 5am), but I don't know if that's what I want to do to lose the weight I need to. My other options would be in the afternoon (dinnertime) or later or night (but when I used to do that, it would keep me up until real late for some reason afterwards).

I can get on binges of dieting and working out for a few weeks then I get burnt out. I don't want that to happen this time. I've already made a commitment to myself that I can get to a decent weight by next year at some point. I'd like to actually do that.

So with all that aside, what do you guys recommend? I'm 6'0", 250+ (I really don't know - I'm afraid to weigh myself but I'd say possibly 275). What should my calorie intake be for the day? What fruits and veggies do I need to avoid? Anything you guys could offer would be great. It's nice to have a little support group here so I can monitor my progress and not fall of the wagon.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-07-09, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even if you're not a member, 24hourfitness.com has a ton of cool stuff and info.

http://www.24hourfitness.com/resources/fitness_tools/

Some calculators.

I try to avoid what hasn't worked for me in the past. I haven't gone to group classes. I'm not doing the last 6 minutes of the 46-min SI6 (yoga) because I have very bad past yoga experiences. I don't do well with calorie restriction (I like to chew) so I'm trying to increase the amount of food I eat while keeping the number of calories in line for what I need to lose weight. I love learning that the texture of a food or even the temperature will make a difference in how the body processes it.

I'm trying to raise my resting metabolic rate so that I burn more calories throughout the day before counting exercise.

I had a couple of days I didn't want to go to the gym, but I went. I didn't want to do SI6 yesterday, but I did. Once I get going I enjoy it.

There's A LOT you can do to your body to manipulate it. It's just a machine. And there's tons of documentation on how to manipulate it.
Old 08-07-09, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I lost 30 lbs in 4 months by just watching what I eat and working out. Just maintaining right now because of my car accident and not really sure what exercises I can do yet. Not all fat is bad. I still ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and once in a while had mac and cheese. I just ate those food in moderation. I never felt deprived. I spent 80 bucks on my Wii fit and I love it. I did the 30 mins free step and 30 min run.
Old 08-07-09, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had a huge setback in my efforts to get in shape. Apparently, my tricep workout resulted in a pinched ulnar nerve which is causing nonstop numbness in my ring and pinky finger. It's an awful sensation, and make take surgery and several months to recover. I won't be lifting weights again for a long time. Be careful out there.
Old 08-07-09, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, what exactly happened? Did you do high-intensity-low-reps or lower-intensity-higher reps? Was it in the middle of the workout or at the beginning (i.e. cold muscles)?

I'll be doing high-intensity-low-reps so I want to make sure I don't injure anything.

Slim-in-6 has a tricep routine that I can't finish (about 24 reps), I guess it is better to stop if it hurts like hell instead of pushing through.
Old 08-07-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
Good for you.

Okay I rifled through most of the last thread but it's a bit jumbled.. most of it is interesting.

Some quick recommendations. I'm not a breakfast eater and never have been. I'd like to change that if it will help me meet my goals. I also need advice on snacks (is it true eating more throughout the day keeps your metabolism going), good vegetables and fruits to eat, and overall how long of a workout routine I should endure.

I've read working out in the morning is a good idea (I'm usually up at 5am), but I don't know if that's what I want to do to lose the weight I need to. My other options would be in the afternoon (dinnertime) or later or night (but when I used to do that, it would keep me up until real late for some reason afterwards).

I can get on binges of dieting and working out for a few weeks then I get burnt out. I don't want that to happen this time. I've already made a commitment to myself that I can get to a decent weight by next year at some point. I'd like to actually do that.

So with all that aside, what do you guys recommend? I'm 6'0", 250+ (I really don't know - I'm afraid to weigh myself but I'd say possibly 275). What should my calorie intake be for the day? What fruits and veggies do I need to avoid? Anything you guys could offer would be great. It's nice to have a little support group here so I can monitor my progress and not fall of the wagon.

Thanks for your help.
See posts above....but you need to do just a little education on your own. Just a little. Again, if you are more than 20-25 lbs overweight, I wouldn't worry about what you eat. Just focus on a reasonable amount of calories.

Start by figuring out how much you burn a day. There are many calculators.

Then to lose weight, eat 10-15% less in a given day/week. Depending on how big of a difference that is (between what you 10-15% less of what you burn compared to what you are currently eating), maybe take the beginning step of just eating to maintain and not gain any more weight. Then after a couple weeks trim off the 10-15%.

Yes, I personally try to eat 4-5 meals a day. I try to eat around 300-450 calories per day. Quick math will show that 5 meals X 400 calories = 2,000 calories. I don't like to "snack". Yes, I know there are good one's. I just have a small meal. Meaning a small sandwich or turkey on a lettuce wrap. If you are truly into snacking, try baby carrots, almonds, beef jerky.

Again, as you get started, I wouldn't get to excited about what your eating. Just use portion control. IMO most people fail because they try to make major life altering changing over night and get burned out. Or slip a little and give it. Take small, incremental changes over a long period of time. As an example, before losing weight I tried to quit real Cokes cold turkey (I was up to several a day). I slipped, thought I couldn't do this and gave up on everything. When I tried I gain, I first cut back cokes to two a day. then one a day, then three a week, till I was to zero.

Remember this is not a race, you are doing this for yourself.
Old 08-07-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Green Smurf View Post
I lost 30 lbs in 4 months by just watching what I eat and working out. Just maintaining right now because of my car accident and not really sure what exercises I can do yet. Not all fat is bad. I still ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and once in a while had mac and cheese. I just ate those food in moderation. I never felt deprived. I spent 80 bucks on my Wii fit and I love it. I did the 30 mins free step and 30 min run.
Good for you. I'm more in your camp. I lost about 30-35 lbs only portion controlling. To this day I don't do any thing "freaky" (like egg whites only, tofu, etc). I eat regular foods. I eat fast foods. I eat at restaurants. And even after losing 70, I still more or less eat regular foods. I make scrambled eggs with cheese for breakfast (usually skip the break, but sometimes a piece of wheat), turkey or grilled chicken sandwich for lunch (no chips), a turkey sandwich (no cheese) at about 5 for my pre-gym meal. Gym, then a plain burger or grilled chicken with veggies after the gym.

Only thing I have totally given up, fried foods including French fries, real cokes, real chips (I'll occasionally have baked).

Wife and daughter use the fit. There are some challenging things to it. I can see the appeal. I've turned into something of a gym guy (I don't say "rat" because I never spend more then an hour a day).
Old 08-07-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jeffbase34 View Post
Had a huge setback in my efforts to get in shape. Apparently, my tricep workout resulted in a pinched ulnar nerve which is causing nonstop numbness in my ring and pinky finger. It's an awful sensation, and make take surgery and several months to recover. I won't be lifting weights again for a long time. Be careful out there.
Oh wow...that is terrible. But I'll say, don't let it stop you! Can you still do cardio? Go for long walks?

I took up running and reached my goal of being able to run 5K. I had run 3.1 miles every other day for 2 weeks when I tore a calf muscle. Can't seem to get it healed up to run again. But can still do low impact stuff and upper body weights.
Old 08-07-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Green Smurf View Post
Great job!
Old 08-07-09, 09:29 AM

Try to maximize protein and fiber and minimize everything else (calories, fats, carbs, sodium, and sugar, etc.)

No! If you eat more protien than you need, it turns to fat! Haven't you come across that in your books yet?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.