Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Old 09-02-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I need a way to measure fat... are calipers easy to use? Less than five bucks on eBay for the plastic ones.
Forget the calipers. Here's the best way to measure body fat. You can pick one up for a mere 37 grand:

Air-displacement plethysmography has been commercialized by Life Measurement, Inc., in their BOD POD and PEA POD devices, costing in the range of $37,000. Life Measurement claims BOD POD has a 2%3% margin of error.
Old 09-02-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

2-3%? Isn't that kind of high? I wonder how bad calipers are then
Old 09-02-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
2-3%? Isn't that kind of high? I wonder how bad calipers are then
That's a huge margin of error for 37K...
Old 09-02-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
My stomach barely budged
That means you did not lose a measurably high amount of fat.

Wal-Mart sells a two-pack of measuring tape for $1. Just get that. Not "Myotape" whatever that is.

Or, just get it. And get the Myotape DVD set and (e-)book. Go nuts.
Old 09-02-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
That means you did not lose a measurably high amount of fat.
In 5 weeks I lost 3.8 % body fat, gained 3.11lbs of muscle and lost 10.91 lbs of fat. I think that's a measurably high amount of fat. Lost 4 inches in the hips, 1.5 inches on the thighs, 1.5 on the calves, 1.5 on the upper arm, and 2 in the chest. I just didn't lose it in the stomach (only 1.5 inches).

Went to 24Lift today, a class using a barbell and hand weights and covering upper and lower body. It was AWESOME.

49 minutes (took time to put weights together, put them away, we have 1 hr in between the previous class and the next class), 457 cals, 55% fat burned, Heart rate Max 156, average 127, Max 83%, Average 67%.

That's a WEIGHT LIFTING class, not an aerobics class. I think those are great numbers for a class spent lifting weights. Man that's almost half a lb a week right there just doing that class, nevermind the food.

I think I'm good with the tape measure but I need a way to measure fat %.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-02-09 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-02-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Never say "never mind the food". Burning that many calories in 45 minutes is great. But u won't lose if ur taking in more calories then ur burning.

U have got to do what works for you. But I'd never recommend doing something ur not going to do the rest of your life. That is why I keep my stuff as simple as possible. I don't measure anything other then weight as I know I won't do anything else long term.

Why not let clothing be ur measuring tape? I've never measured but I know I've lost 8-10 in wy waist. How? When I started I wore 44-46 pants. Now I wear a 36.

IMO this is not a project or something with a beginning and end. It is something to do the rest of my life. And besides, it would drive me bites taking all those measurements and calculating every percentage.
Old 09-02-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bwvanh114 View Post
That's awesome. The past 2 weeks have been hard for me on a trip out of town plus other things. I'm doing okay all things considered. I know I can make excuses about it, but I think recognizing that 1. changes are needed. 2. some times things won't go like you want them, but just keep working at it, is a big part of the battle. I haven't lost a lot of weight the past 2 weeks.... but I haven't gain anything back which is amazing for me.

Yesterday I went to a Chili's / TGIF Friday's type place. I got a burger without fancy (calorie loaded) dressing/mayo. It came with endless fries. I asked for alternatives and got steamed broccoli which they apparently soaked in butter.

There's calories in butter, but no way the amount in a plate full of fries. I am happy with being able to make that decision. It's something I have never done before.
I wouldn't beat yourself up. There r days and even weeks I'm happy to just maintain. Or even if I gain a pound or two no big deal. It happens. It's life. Just do what u can during those periods and refocus when u can.
Old 09-02-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I'm an egg fan, so that's my initial response. But why not both? 1 or 2 eggs and a half portion of oatmeal?

I haven't had shin splints, but I torn a calf muscle running. I head over to some of the running sites. All of them have "injury" forums.

As for trying shoes, I haven't done it yet, but will once I wear out the shoes I'm wearing. But evidently, if your just buying shoes randomly your not doing yourself any favors. You need to be fitted at a running store. The better one's actually put you on a treadmill and video you to analyze your particular running style (and any issues you may have). Then put you in shoes appropriate. Their shoes are more expensive but everything I have read says it is well worth it.
I may try that with the breakfast. I like the ease of making instant oatmeal in a mug and running out the door, but I also like the flexibility I have with the ingredients in the eggs. Maybe I'll do one thing, then the other the next.

I hope to get to a running store this weekend to look at some shoes. All the shoes I've bought in the past were supposed to help with shin splints, so I have done the research, but they really didn't help all that much. I've been meaning to get fitted for a while, but I think now's the time.

And cungar, my shin splints used to be much worse when I was heavier. They eased up quite a bit since I've lost some weight this year (30-40 lbs). I'm hoping they'll go away completely once I drop some more weight, but I'd like to drop some of that weight due to running, which I can't do too much of because of the shin splints! It's a hell of a vicious circle.

Finally (for now) I have one more question: Salt/Sodium.

How concerned should I be if my sodium intake is slightly more than what's recommended?

I've read that unless you've been put on a low sodium diet by a doctor, you probably don't need to hyper focus on it. Is this the case?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lopper View Post

And cungar, my shin splints used to be much worse when I was heavier. They eased up quite a bit since I've lost some weight this year (30-40 lbs). I'm hoping they'll go away completely once I drop some more weight, but I'd like to drop some of that weight due to running, which I can't do too much of because of the shin splints! It's a hell of a vicious circle.
Funny I never have shin pain when I run. Only when I walk fast over long distances. I must not have a correct walking stride.
Old 09-02-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't beat yourself up. There r days and even weeks I'm happy to just maintain. Or even if I gain a pound or two no big deal. It happens. It's life. Just do what u can during those periods and refocus when u can.
This here is why this thread rocks. Such support/optimism especially when people are pissed off about losing jobs, lost retirement savings, etc, etc.

I almost feel like a hippie!
Old 09-02-09, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bwvanh114 View Post
This here is why this thread rocks. Such support/optimism especially when people are pissed off about losing jobs, lost retirement savings, etc, etc.

I almost feel like a hippie!
Well as I've said this should be a life style, not a project. While we should all strive to do the best we can, it is unrealistic to believe there won't be some small or large "road bumps". The difference is what happens after that. Some people give up and some feel it is all part of the process and just get back to it.

I actually think have a more realistic view (meaning there are will be some up and down) is more healthy than think "I'm going to lose 2 lbs a week, every week for the next year". Some people are so strict that if they have a minor bump, they thing "I failed, so whats the point". I think it is healthier to have a "goal" to lose 2 lbs a week and have the goal to move in that direction, but realize there will be some bad weeks.
Old 09-02-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Never say "never mind the food". Burning that many calories in 45 minutes is great. But u won't lose if ur taking in more calories then ur burning.
What I meant was, that's a pound a week just with exercise alone. When you add in what's lost through food, that's the 2 lbs a week So with the exercise you're already up to a pound a week, nevermind what you're already losing with the food.
Old 09-02-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn...it amazes me how much tougher running at 6mpr is vs 5mpr. I repeated what I did on Monday (I took last night off). It is W4D2 of the C25K program.

347 calories burned
70% average HR
82% max

Now I can run 30 minutes + at 5.0mpr without stopping at all. But doing the W4D2 at 6.0mpr for running and 4.0mpr for walking was a struggle to say the least! I was really starting to huff and puff there! It is goes like this:

5m warm up walk
3m running
90 second walk
5m running
2.5m walk
3m run
90 second walk
5m run
5m cool down walk
Old 09-02-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Didn't jog today, weird twinge in my ankle. I could've walked, but I figure one day won't kill me. Starting to rearrange my diet. I bought a bunch of fresh veggies to take for lunches. This is how I expect my diet to go:

Breakfast:
2 fried eggs
2 slices turkey bacon
1 small low fat yogurt
Some sort of sugar free drink

Lunch
Celery w/hummus
Carrots
Half a turkey/havarti sandwich w/light mayo & mustard on sourdough
(also can substitute broccoli/cucumber in the veggies since I bought some today)
Sugar free drink (water/diet tea/crystal light)

Dinner
Dunno, dinner kind of a toss up. I'm going to try to get some fish in my diet. Grilled chicken, salads, that kind of thing.
Old 09-02-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
Didn't jog today, weird twinge in my ankle. I could've walked, but I figure one day won't kill me. Starting to rearrange my diet. I bought a bunch of fresh veggies to take for lunches. This is how I expect my diet to go:

Breakfast:
2 fried eggs
2 slices turkey bacon
1 small low fat yogurt
Some sort of sugar free drink

Lunch
Celery w/hummus
Carrots
Half a turkey/havarti sandwich w/light mayo & mustard on sourdough
(also can substitute broccoli/cucumber in the veggies since I bought some today)
Sugar free drink (water/diet tea/crystal light)

Dinner
Dunno, dinner kind of a toss up. I'm going to try to get some fish in my diet. Grilled chicken, salads, that kind of thing.
Looks good but is that enough calories?

And I'd move that breakfast yogurt to a mid morning snack.

And I'd try to eat something with a little protein or at least fiber (Apple, yogurt, etc) about 45-60 minutes before your workout.
Old 09-03-09, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really want to do the Zumba and it's only offered twice a week and the Monday one is only half an hour and another one at 45 minutes (6 hours apart) so if I want an hour one the only day is Thursday, but there's a 24Lift 4 hours earlier and I enjoyed it so much I want to do it again. So thinking of going to both since I'm off today.
Old 09-03-09, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well if you do the 30 minute class you can do something else at the gym. I've decided that 25-30 minutes weights/push ups does not bun enough calories. So I'm going to start my weight days with 20 minutes on the elliptical. This will have the added benefit of having my hr up when I do the weights and should burn more while doing the weghts.
Old 09-03-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember with weights, its not about the calories you burn during the lifting... Don't be so concerned with calories burnt while exercising.

Also for all the people starting running and getting more and more into it. I highly suggest the book Born to Run by Chris Mcdougall. Just finished it myself and it will really change the way you think about running and how to run effectively. Especially with regards to injuries and injury prevention.
Old 09-03-09, 09:35 AM

Well today I just passed the 30lbs mark!

I started around 248lbs and today weighed in at 217lbs! I know I started this thread last spring, but my weight loss program didn't really start until mid June (once I was finished with school).

I think the biggest change I've made is what I eat. While in school I did nothing but eat out, where as now I am usually always cooking at home. I've limited myself to a meal at Burger King to twice a month now (I love that place ha ha) but each time I don't over due it and it seems to be a nice way to keep my body on it's toes and not get accustomed to what is coming in.

I can definitely tell my clothes are a lot looser now than before (I'm back to wearing a belt). I figure once I hit 200lbs then I will post some before and afters. I hope to be there around mid to end October.
Old 09-03-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought I'd contribute. I have been taking the loooong road to recovery. By the beginning of 2008, I'm not sure how heavy I was, perhaps 150 (I'm only 5'5"). I felt I would like to lose 5-10 lbs but no biggie. Over the course of 2008, I added over 15 lbs. Before I bought an accurate scale, I may have come close to the 170 mark.

On MLK Day of this year, shortly after I started making efforts to lose the weight, I was at 166 lbs. I pretty much hovered there. Then I got involved in a theatre production involving a lot of vigorous dancing. That, including not gorging myself and buying a pedometer to keep track of my daily steps, I went from 166 to where I currently am at around 149. (According to the BMI calculator, I have now entered the "normal weight zone".)

Okay, so that's an average of 2.4 lbs a month, not that great...but I did not diet. I did not watch what I ate, although I controlled my portions. And I only moderately increased my physical activity (other than the dancing show which ended in May, where I probably dropped and kept off close to 10 lbs alone). I have changed my lifestyle and continue to lose weight at a slow but steady pace.

My goal is 140, so I'm more than halfway there. Hopefully I'll get there by the end of the year.

Last edited by Goldblum; 09-03-09 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-03-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Remember with weights, its not about the calories you burn during the lifting... Don't be so concerned with calories burnt while exercising.

Also for all the people starting running and getting more and more into it. I highly suggest the book Born to Run by Chris Mcdougall. Just finished it myself and it will really change the way you think about running and how to run effectively. Especially with regards to injuries and injury prevention.
Well I agree u burn calories during muscle recovery. Just like ur not actually building muscle while u lift. That comes with repaiir/recovery.

However I can't measure the calories burned during recovery. I can only measure during the actual workout. So I'm doing what I can to effect that positively and let the recovery calories burned be a bonus.
Old 09-03-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matto1020 View Post
Well today I just passed the 30lbs mark!

I started around 248lbs and today weighed in at 217lbs! I know I started this thread last spring, but my weight loss program didn't really start until mid June (once I was finished with school).

I think the biggest change I've made is what I eat. While in school I did nothing but eat out, where as now I am usually always cooking at home. I've limited myself to a meal at Burger King to twice a month now (I love that place ha ha) but each time I don't over due it and it seems to be a nice way to keep my body on it's toes and not get accustomed to what is coming in.

I can definitely tell my clothes are a lot looser now than before (I'm back to wearing a belt). I figure once I hit 200lbs then I will post some before and afters. I hope to be there around mid to end October.
That is awesome! Good job! Keep it up.

As for eating in, yup that is best. Especially if your making food. However don't let eating out be an excuse. One great thing about fast food places is they are good at providing nutritional informations. For example a Mcdonalds quarter pounder is not a terrible thing to get. I'm sure BK has some "better" choices as well. Tho I'd avoid the fries and coke.

Anyway great job!!!!
Old 09-03-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Goldblum, that is great! Awesome! I think is is a huge benefit to be able to fit weight loss into your job or hobby. Doesn't seem as much work that way.

And there is nothing wrong with losing 2.4 lbs per month. In fact I believe the slower you lose it the more likely you are to keep it off. And besides losing "just" 2.4 lbs per month adds up! In a year that is roughly 35 lb!!!! Nothing to sneeze at! Who wouldn't be overjoyed to lose 35 lbs in a year!!!
Old 09-03-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thursday 9/3/09
24Lift
52 mins
514 cals
50% fat
Max 155/82%
Average 132/70%
Old 09-03-09, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I guess my diet adjustment is starting to work:

60 minutes
4.72 miles
808 calories
215.6 lbs

That is more like it, I'm back down to my lowest point. Lost about 1.5 lbs. Been hardcore on the new diet for a couple of days. I'm still pretty hungry sometimes and I need to find filling snacks.

I read upthread about a guy who is about my height at 170 and trying to lose, and my ultimate goal is 175. Just goes to show how different body types can be. I know that at 175, I look pretty good. Perhaps my opinion of myself will change when I get there.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.