Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Old 09-01-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
One of my daughters favorite is lettuce wraps. Basically make a sandwich roll up but instead of tortilla's us lettuce. I do it as well from time to time.

Some restaurants offer "protein" style hamburgers that way. No bun, but wrapped in lettuce.

I'm a sandwich whore! Done correctly, you can use a sandwich (or half a sandwich) as a snack as well.
I remember for like a year when Atkins was big, all these restaurants were offering low carb burgers wrapped in lettuce. That didn't last long.
Old 09-01-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dammit I'm back to 201lb at home and 203.5lb at the gym lol. Sigh. Went to my first group class today and loved it, it was Turbo Kickboxing. Did five minutes of weights after the class, heavy weights low reps. Just to get some blood pumping.
Old 09-01-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I remember for like a year when Atkins was big, all these restaurants were offering low carb burgers wrapped in lettuce. That didn't last long.
I don't try to eliminate bread but I do eat so many sandwiches I try to get creative now and again.
Old 09-01-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
Great news on the BP medication. I've heard from too many people whose doctors were unwilling to work with them on reducing/eliminating medication, even after significant progress has been made.

My ankle has been a bit sore the past few days, so I think I'm going to lay off the cardio for a while, as well as lunges, etc. Boo.
Interesting you say that. My dr has been hesitent to make changes. Basically hi approach is "it's working so let's leave it alone". Well I had to get to the dr on short notice as my scrip was up. And this dr, not knowing me (same group as my dr) took a minute to review my entire file and look at my bp tracking and he actually offered up. He was worries with some of my numbers I might get dizzy...
Old 09-01-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What are the advantages of the Myotape as opposed to a regular measuring tape?
Old 09-01-09, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's the better breakfast: Oatmeal with some raisins thrown in, or 3 egg whites with chopped veggies (actually, it's more like 2 egg whites and one whole egg)?

I think I know the answer to this already (the eggs), but I wanted to check anyway. From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, both are considered relatively healthy, so what makes one better than the other?

Also, on an unrelated note, has anyone ever had experience with shin splints before? If so, how did you treat/cope with it?

I have extreme lower leg pain when I run (and for a day or so after) and I believe that it's due to shin splints. I've tried several different pairs of shoes over time, and that really doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I haven't been to the dr yet, but I really need to at this point if I want to continue running.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-09, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
What's the better breakfast: Oatmeal with some raisins thrown in, or 3 egg whites with chopped veggies (actually, it's more like 2 egg whites and one whole egg)?

I think I know the answer to this already (the eggs), but I wanted to check anyway. From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, both are considered relatively healthy, so what makes one better than the other?

Also, on an unrelated note, has anyone ever had experience with shin splints before? If so, how did you treat/cope with it?

I have extreme lower leg pain when I run (and for a day or so after) and I believe that it's due to shin splints. I've tried several different pairs of shoes over time, and that really doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I haven't been to the dr yet, but I really need to at this point if I want to continue running.

Thanks!
I'm an egg fan, so that's my initial response. But why not both? 1 or 2 eggs and a half portion of oatmeal?

I haven't had shin splints, but I torn a calf muscle running. I head over to some of the running sites. All of them have "injury" forums.

As for trying shoes, I haven't done it yet, but will once I wear out the shoes I'm wearing. But evidently, if your just buying shoes randomly your not doing yourself any favors. You need to be fitted at a running store. The better one's actually put you on a treadmill and video you to analyze your particular running style (and any issues you may have). Then put you in shoes appropriate. Their shoes are more expensive but everything I have read says it is well worth it.
Old 09-01-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As for trying shoes, I haven't done it yet, but will once I wear out the shoes I'm wearing. But evidently, if your just buying shoes randomly your not doing yourself any favors. You need to be fitted at a running store. The better one's actually put you on a treadmill and video you to analyze your particular running style (and any issues you may have). Then put you in shoes appropriate. Their shoes are more expensive but everything I have read says it is well worth it.
I completely agree.

I had shin splints until I did this. Haven't had any since I was properly fitted.
Old 09-01-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lopper View Post

Not neccesarily unrelated. I'll answer this one. For 6 years I had the most horrible shin splint on my left leg. I got it from power walking too fast. Every time I tried to gradually go back to walking it would return.

My cure?

Ever since I lost 70 lbs it is gone. I have done the same walking this summer and I never felt a thing. When I was 280 plus I clearly was putting too much strain on my legs. I'm not saing thin people can't have shin splints. But in my case, I reaaly feel being obese caused it.
Old 09-01-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: the breakfast... I would pick the eggs and veggies, but I try to stay away from that many carbs at one time and try to only get carbs from fruits/veggies. But I think either one is ok really, but you get no protein and fat from the oatmeal, where the eggs and veggies are balanced.
Old 09-01-09, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good article.

http://www.active.com/fitness/Articl...ExerciseQA.htm

The Diet Detective: Diet or Exercise--Q & A

By Charles Stuart Platkin
For Active.com

Diet or exercise: Which is better to help you lose weight?

According to the Pew Research Center, about a third (34 percent) of Americans are neither exercising nor dieting; 17 percent are doing both; eight percent are dieting but not exercising; and 40 percent are exercising but not dieting.

So, who is right? Well, a recent study appearing in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism demonstrated that dieting and exercise are equally good at taking off the pounds--as long as the number of calories consumed is the same as the number of calories burned.

And, according to David L. Katz, M.D., associate professor of public health and director of the Prevention Research Center at Yale University School of Medicine, the answer is simpler than the debate would imply.

"It depends," he says. "Weight loss occurs whenever you burn more calories than you take in. If you can exercise enough to burn more calories and would rather do that than cut calories, then exercise is the way to go. If, however, you're more willing to trim your portions than go out running, dieting will work better." Think about which you would rather do: Skip the mayo on your burger, or walk it off for 35 minutes?

That said, it's clear from the research that the majority of people who have lost weight and kept it off for five years or more combine diet and exercise. In fact, "It's nearly impossible to exercise enough to control weight without attention to diet," adds Katz. And, conversely, it's nearly impossible to sustain weight loss without some increase in physical activity.

In addition, an increase in physical activity offers other benefits, including cardiovascular health, and strength training can add muscle, which can burn extra calories at rest (each pound of muscle added will increase the calories your body burns by about 30-50).

Also, it's important to note: "Many truly obese people don't eat much but don't move much, either (hence their weight stays the same). Some are eating at starvation levels but sit in a chair all day. If these people would start moving, they would begin to lose weight," says Stephen Rice, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H., a sports medical expert at the Jersey Shore Medical Center in Neptune, NJ.

Should you eat three or six meals per day?

The answer is that it really depends on whether those six meals are going to increase or decrease how many calories you take in for the day overall. According to Milton Stokes, R.D. M.P.H., spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, "A small amount of research says that eating mini-meals consisting of less food more frequently may help rev metabolism and prevent extreme variations in blood sugar. At the very least you should eat three times daily. Some people reap benefits from eating about every four or five hours daily. That isn't, however, a license for going hog wild all day."

People get hungry every four hours, says Nancy Clark, a Massachusetts-based sports nutritionist and author of Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook (Human Kinetics, 2003). She recommends four meals made up of breakfast, two lunches with about three hours between them, and dinner. She believes that eating the two lunches will lessen your appetite during dinner and solve the energy problem that most people have. Her motto: "Fuel by day, diet by night."

Katz favors six meals because, "People trying to control their weight are often worried about deprivation and going hungry. Having food available at regular intervals cuts off this anxiety," he says.

"I caution people about the six meals per day," says Lona Sandon, M.Ed., R.D., a professor of nutrition at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. "There is nothing magical about six meals per day, and any opportunity you give yourself to eat is an opportunity to overeat. Six meals a day at 300 calories each would be a total of 1,800 calories for the day. A bowl of cereal with skim milk and maybe cup of juice would be about 300 calories. People who follow this type of plan need to really watch their portion sizes."

Katz agrees. He believes that if you are eating often, you must make sure you're eating well. You have to be even more vigilant.

Which is better for you--walking for 15 minutes each day or going on an all-day hike on the weekend?

It's pretty much unanimous among health experts: The daily walk, even for a few minutes, is better than the all-day hike on the weekend. According to Dr. Rice, "Daily exercise is superior to being a 'weekend warrior.' Couch potatoes Monday through Friday and vigorous athletes Saturday and Sunday can come up with both acute and overuse injuries easily."

Not only that, but if you have the time to walk 15 minutes each day, it is better for your health and fitness, and, according to Michael R. Bracko, Ed.D., a spokesperson for the American College of Sports Medicine, these short walks can be the start of bigger and better things for fitness and health and could ultimately change your life.

Charles Stuart Platkin is an Active Expert, nutrition and public health advocate, author of The Diet Detective's Count Down (Simon & Schuster, 2007) and founder of DietDetective.com, the health and fitness network. Copyright 2007 by Charles Stuart Platkin. Sign up for the free Diet Detective newsletter at www.dietdetective.com.
Old 09-02-09, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by David L. Katz, M.D., associate professor of public health and director of the Prevention Research Center at Yale
Weight loss occurs whenever you burn more calories than you take in. It's nearly impossible to exercise enough to control weight without attention to diet
Originally Posted by Stephen Rice, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H., a sports medical expert
Many truly obese people don't eat much but don't move much, either (hence their weight stays the same). Some are eating at starvation levels but sit in a chair all day. If these people would start moving, they would begin to lose weight
Bullshit! I call shens! There's no evidence all you have to do is eat right and get off your ass to lose weight! If that's the case, why doesn't all the fat people at WalMart lose weight? The same medical establishment that is hiding a cure for autism is hiding a cure for obesity. They WANT people to be fat and unhealthy, that's how they get paid!
Old 09-02-09, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bwvanh114 View Post
Bullshit! I call shens! There's no evidence all you have to do is eat right and get off your ass to lose weight! If that's the case, why doesn't all the fat people at WalMart lose weight? The same medical establishment that is hiding a cure for autism is hiding a cure for obesity. They WANT people to be fat and unhealthy, that's how they get paid!
LOL...last night I had dinner with my Uncle who is "watching what he eats". He knows I have lost a lot of weight and asked how I did it. So I said;

"I burn more calories than I take in and I try to workout regularly".

He asked what else? I said that's it. That's my magic potion. I don't think he ever did believe me. LOL
Old 09-02-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Did five minutes of weights after the class, heavy weights low reps. Just to get some blood pumping.

You needed to get your blood pumping after a kickboxing class?
Old 09-02-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Re: the breakfast... I would pick the eggs and veggies, but I try to stay away from that many carbs at one time and try to only get carbs from fruits/veggies. But I think either one is ok really, but you get no protein and fat from the oatmeal, where the eggs and veggies are balanced.
Hey... I did my first CrossFit on Saturday. One of the easier ones, not the girls. They talked a lot about paleo + zone. You do both?
Old 09-02-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LOL...last night I had dinner with my Uncle who is "watching what he eats". He knows I have lost a lot of weight and asked how I did it. So I said;

He asked what else? I said that's it. That's my magic potion. I don't think he ever did believe me. LOL
That sounds complicated...

Last edited by glassdragon; 09-02-09 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-02-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's awesome. The past 2 weeks have been hard for me on a trip out of town plus other things. I'm doing okay all things considered. I know I can make excuses about it, but I think recognizing that 1. changes are needed. 2. some times things won't go like you want them, but just keep working at it, is a big part of the battle. I haven't lost a lot of weight the past 2 weeks.... but I haven't gain anything back which is amazing for me.

Yesterday I went to a Chili's / TGIF Friday's type place. I got a burger without fancy (calorie loaded) dressing/mayo. It came with endless fries. I asked for alternatives and got steamed broccoli which they apparently soaked in butter.

There's calories in butter, but no way the amount in a plate full of fries. I am happy with being able to make that decision. It's something I have never done before.
Old 09-02-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sooo... what are the advantages of the Myotape over a regular measuring tape?
Old 09-02-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

don't look for an excuse to buy something else.
Old 09-02-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like a worthless item.

Your goals should be in this order:
1. Live healthier and longer life
2. Therefore to reach goal #1, you have a goal of eating a good diet and exercising properly
3. Therefore to help stay on track of goal #2, maybe use a couple (as in 2-3) measurements, which reflects also on your progress of goal #1
4. Therefore measure: Calories and protein per day, weekly weight and % body fat, and perhaps waist size or pant size. <---- as an example. Personally, I don't measure any body dimensions, directly or indirectly. Other than calories/protein, I measure weekly weight/fat. That's it. For everything else, I believe form follows function and function follows form (it will all work out in the end).

That's it. Dick size should not matter. Bicep to left proximal pinkie ratio should not matter. Look, if you really want to go overboard, you can measure Calcium intake from 8AM - 12PM, from 12PM - 4PM, etc.... who cares?

Last edited by bwvanh114; 09-02-09 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-02-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
don't look for an excuse to buy something else.
I'm looking for disadvantages
Old 09-02-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bwvanh114 View Post
Looks like a worthless item.

Your goals should be in this order:
1. Live healthier and longer life
2. Therefore to reach goal #1, you have a goal of eating a good diet and exercising properly
3. Therefore to help stay on track of goal #2, maybe use a couple (as in 2-3) measurements, which reflects also on your progress of goal #1
4. Therefore measure: Calories and protein per day, weekly weight and % body fat, and perhaps waist size or pant size. <---- as an example. Personally, I don't measure any body dimensions, directly or indirectly. Other than calories/protein, I measure weekly weight/fat. That's it. For everything else, I believe form follows function and function follows form (it will all work out in the end).

That's it. Dick size should not matter. Bicep to left proximal pinkie ratio should not matter. Look, if you really want to go overboard, you can measure Calcium intake from 8AM - 12PM, from 12PM - 4PM, etc.... who cares?

There's a very important reason for measurements: You see results. You see how different parts of your body change as you progress. My stomach barely budged but my legs, arms, and hips shrunk considerably... just measuring the stomach would not have changed this.

I need a way to measure fat... are calipers easy to use? Less than five bucks on eBay for the plastic ones.
Old 09-02-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

cost? its useless?
Old 09-02-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I need a way to measure fat... are calipers easy to use? Less than five bucks on eBay for the plastic ones.
They are not. From what I hear, you need to be pretty trained to use them. I've gotten measured at the gym and I'm pretty sure it was wrong and that was by a "professional"
Old 09-02-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the point is that you need to stop buying things. Most of what you need for the weight loss is free (IE. common sense, willpower, exercise, eating right)

Worry less about the little measurements and more about how you will get to your goal. Honestly I am of the opinion that if you keep checking yourself you will feel good at the time when it goes down, but then if it goes up a little bit then you will get upset like you did earlier. Just keep working, and honestly I don't think you should check yourself as much, just trust that it is working.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.