Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Old 08-30-09, 09:23 PM
  #501  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,290
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
I've gone from squeezing into 40's to squeezing into 38's so far, after almost 20 lbs.
Nice...I have to admit I enjoyed buying new stuff. And IMO about every 20lbs so you really have to. Less than 20lbs stuff looks loose and a little big. 20lbs or more and it starts to look like your wearing a sack...LOL. Course I guess it depends on your build and muscle.

But I enjoyed buying stuff. For the first time I can buy "normal" stuff and feel good in it. I wore a pair of Levi 501, button fly's to meetings a couple weeks ago. In the past I just didn't think I looked good in them. Right now I'm in between on shirt sizes. Some shirts I still need a large (especially t-shirts) but others I can wear a medium....
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 08-30-09, 09:59 PM
  #502  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,290
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by bwvanh114 View Post
sdallnct, can you post the date you started your lifestyle change (diet/exercise), your initial weight, your goal weight and if you know it, your initial and goal body fat.
Sure, briefly unless you want more detail.

Much of it had to do with my blood pressure which you can read about here,

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...-pressure.html

I "started" in fall of '07. I can't give you an exact date. Why? In the summer of '07 I tried to start and failed miserably and actually put on more weight. So fall of '07 is when I restarted, but did it slowly. I failed by trying to give up cokes cold turkey, trying a low carb diet, then a high protein diet. All failed, so then in fall of '07 I started slow and deliberate. I slowly cut back on cokes. I gave up no food, but ate a "little" less of it. Then I started splitting every meal with wife or one of the kids.

In spring of '08 or so I started tracking what I ate. Oh not exactly every single calorie, but close. First I tracked on line, then when I got an iPhone, I use an app. It tracks both what I eat and my workouts. The only things I try never to eat is real Cokes and fried foods (oh also gave up mayo and dressings of any kind). I go for low calorie options when possible, but if I eat a burger now and then I just account for it. I more or less live on eggs, cheese and sandwiches. I do try to get some veggies, fruits and yogurt. I watch calories, but I don't watch anything else (ratio's or anything). Tho my tracker tells me, if I see I'm high on fat, I don't really care. So long as my total calories are ok. I also don't get excited about going over a day. So long as I have a negative or even for the week.

My big secret? Burn more calories than I take in.

In Sept/Oct of '07 I joined 24 Hour fitness and started working out. Just about the entire first year I did only elliptical. Slowly building speed and time. In fall of '08 I started adding some small weight, but not much. Spring of this year I took up running and completed the C25K program (great program). I completed it, if slow...lol. I'm doing more weights since the summer of this year.

My "start" weight was 271-273 in fall of '07 (I'm 5'10-11). My Dr. wanted me to lose 30-40 pounds so that was my initial goal. But as I got there and started feeling better I just kept going! In fact at 225 my Dr. said that was good enough unless I really wanted to go to 215. So I did that. Then I thought I was close to -60 lbs so I went to 211. Without trying to hard I got down to 205, so again I thought might as well get to -70 for a big meeting I coming. So by early Feb of 09 I was -70. Since that time I've been trying to maintain and "live with it". I have more or less done that with some minor fluctuation (within about -62 to -70). I've been focusing on trying new workouts, increasing intensity of those I do, running and weights. My newest goal is to lose another 10 lbs by November for wifes and I's Anniversary cruise. That will put me at -80lbs

I do not know what my body fat is. Have no idea either started or current. Amazon had a sale on one of those scales that would tell you and I almost ordered. But I'm really trying to keep things as simple as possible and I'm not in training for anything. I just want general better health. I want to eat "real" food, just "right eat" the correct portions. I love to cook, but I travel a lot so that part is hard as I miss cooking. But I've learned that not being able to cook is just an excuse. I lost most of my weight by eating the vast majority of my meals at restaurants.

As for blood pressure that started it all. My Dr. has adjusted a little once (down). And I'm hoping he will again soon. I monitor it at home and last time I checked it was 58/101. My goal is to get off the medication all together.

So much for briefly....LOL...and sorry for others who have heard it all before...LOL

Here is before and after pics (the after pic was a few weeks ago while I was in Vegas for meetings the before pic was fall of '07 same place).

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9624271-post13.html

LOL...I noticed I'm off a few pounds between posts...LOL...it seems so long ago...and I didn't start a blog or anything. And Dr's scale is a little off. Well maybe not off as I usually weight naked at home (right before I get in the shower). As of an hour ago...lol...I'm at 201

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-31-09 at 12:12 AM.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 08-30-09, 10:06 PM
  #503  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,128
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Well I forgot my own rule of "cardio is king"...LOL....zombeaners 800+ calories burned was done by cardio.
Well at least you did something! I was pretty laid back this weekend. Tomorrow is back on the treadmill, I'm going to try to hit that 5 miles mark. It seems like I'm training for something, but my brain just keeps telling me that there is no reason I can't do better, even if it is jogging. I tell you, it is NOT easy, I have to push the whole damned way, I there is a tremendous sense of accomplishment. I just wish it dropped pounds faster. I will say that I am in much, much better shape than I was 2 months ago.
zombeaner is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 12:33 AM
  #504  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,290
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Showering before the gym: Nice. That's a hell of a long time in the yard. At least you're considerate enough to smell halfway decent when you're at the gym. I really don't look forward to getting back into the gym routine myself next month because of those who leave their sweat on the machines and don't have their own towel to wipe equipment down.

Btw, Instead of buying a bunch of Blu-rays, I got a Bowflex SelectTech 3.1 workout bench. Should be getting it in the next few days. Been waiting for this thing for over two weeks to get to my door.
Cool...nice looking bench...
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 09:02 AM
  #505  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,368
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Sure, briefly unless you want more detail.
Great story!
bwvanh114 is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 09:34 AM
  #506  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,290
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by bwvanh114 View Post
Great story!
Oh, thanks. Appreciate that. I actually have a Dr's appointment today. I tried to refill my BP meds over the weekend and didn't have any refills left. And if I just call and ask for more refills they charge a standard office visit (to take the time to review charts and crap). So I might as well go in. I won't get to see my Dr. but another in his group. I'm hoping to talk her into cutting my meds in half (from 40mg to 20mg). But not being my Dr and not having time to run tests, I'm doubtful. So I'll probably have to stick with my current meds and then reschedule. And now that we are in Sept, it might be smarter for me money wise because of my health insurance to wait for full physical and tests in January. Will have to see.

They did remove something last time I was in. So it has been sort of reduced once. Hopefully I'm heading in the right direction.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 10:09 AM
  #507  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,638
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Oh, thanks. Appreciate that. I actually have a Dr's appointment today. I tried to refill my BP meds over the weekend and didn't have any refills left. And if I just call and ask for more refills they charge a standard office visit (to take the time to review charts and crap). So I might as well go in. I won't get to see my Dr. but another in his group. I'm hoping to talk her into cutting my meds in half (from 40mg to 20mg). But not being my Dr and not having time to run tests, I'm doubtful. So I'll probably have to stick with my current meds and then reschedule. And now that we are in Sept, it might be smarter for me money wise because of my health insurance to wait for full physical and tests in January. Will have to see.

They did remove something last time I was in. So it has been sort of reduced once. Hopefully I'm heading in the right direction.
Keep up the good work. You are doing it the right way. Watching what you eat and exercising.

Hopefully my experience will be as successful as yours...
LorenzoL is online now  
Old 08-31-09, 11:13 AM
  #508  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,290
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

So for the week?

6 workouts
4:24 total time
2549 calories
77% of goal

Hummm, I'll have to go in and check my goals. I know that is a little lower than some weeks, but I thought the running would make up for the less time. Course I'm not yet running 3 miles at one time yet, so that is part of it.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 12:50 PM
  #509  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,290
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Keep up the good work. You are doing it the right way. Watching what you eat and exercising.

Hopefully my experience will be as successful as yours...
When I failed at my first attempt at losing weight, I went back to Dr., asked friends who were successful and did a ton of research. Unfortunantly if you search "weight loss" on the net you will get a ton of "quick fix" crap that is not only worthless but could hinder you. However once I got through it all I found out a couple of rather boring things that work every time, yet would never make a good book or video...LOL...

1) The big secret to weight loss? Burn more calories than you take in. Period.

The debate on eating the "right" foods or the in the right "order" or at the right "time" has very, very little impact (if any) compared to total calories. Figure out how many calories you burn in a day, take in less than that, and you will lose weight. If you don't do this, if you don't burn more calories than you take it, you won't lose weight.

I'm of course talking weight loss and weight loss only. There can be other health issues by not eating right. And I found that by and large the "better" foods were lower in calories and more filling. So as I lost weight, I gravitated towards eating better. Still not great (could use more fruits and veggies) but better.

2) Most of your weight loss is going to come from eating, not going to the gym.

Unless you are Michael Phelps you simply cannot burn enough calories at working out to offset eating to much. We see this every single year with the New Years resolution gangs. They join a gym and "religiously" go every day for 45 minutes a day and tear it up. Then in three weeks that have lost nothing and maybe even gained (not from gaining muscle but because they felt since they go to the gym they can eat anything). So they quit.

No, workout is a huge supplement to losing weight. And to be successful, I'm about ready to say they go hand in hand. Technically you could lose weight without working out (you cannot lose weight if your taking in to many calories). However in everyday situation, working out has a big impact. Not only physically, but mentally and motivationally.

As you can see above I just checked my working out for the week. A little over 2,500 calories. Not bad I guess, but keep a couple things in mind;

Chili's has some Hamburgers that are in the 1,800 calorie range. Eat the fries that come with it and have one Coke and you literally offset an weeks worth of good workouts for one single lunch!!!

It takes 3,500 calories to = a pound. So I didn't even burn an equivalent of a lb off in 6 workouts!

Again, not discouraging anyone from working out. Again, there are other health benefits than just losing weight. And as mentioned, it does help with weight loss. Not only burn 2,500 calories in a week working out, but also take in 2,500 less calories and now your losing 1.5 pound per week. Not a bad thing!

LOL...ok rant over...lol
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 03:59 PM
  #510  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Liver&Onions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oregonzola
Posts: 14,294
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Hhhmm... interesting idea. Will have to look into it once I get home and get to a real browser. The one concern I have is putting it on the same spot every time, i.e. the same spot on my arm every time. I guess I could use the freckles as landmarks...
Here, you haven't bought anything in a week or so.
http://www.healthsuperstore.com/p-fa...easurement.htm

Better spring for the warranty though.
Liver&Onions is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 06:23 PM
  #511  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,290
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Well back from the Dr. At the Dr's office I'm 204. So that means my home scale should be real close. I'm at 201 at home, naked...LOL...so probably 2-3 lbs of clothing.

Also, he was so impressed with weight loss and tracking BP he is lowering my meds from 40mg daily to 20mg daily!!! So heading in the right direction. Hopefully. Of course he wants me to check in, in a month to make sure nothing dramatic happens.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 07:06 PM
  #512  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Somewhere out there... YES THERE!!!
Posts: 7,936
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Sure, briefly unless you want more detail.

Much of it had to do with my blood pressure which you can read about here,

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...-pressure.html

I "started" in fall of '07. I can't give you an exact date. Why? In the summer of '07 I tried to start and failed miserably and actually put on more weight. So fall of '07 is when I restarted, but did it slowly. I failed by trying to give up cokes cold turkey, trying a low carb diet, then a high protein diet. All failed, so then in fall of '07 I started slow and deliberate. I slowly cut back on cokes. I gave up no food, but ate a "little" less of it. Then I started splitting every meal with wife or one of the kids.

In spring of '08 or so I started tracking what I ate. Oh not exactly every single calorie, but close. First I tracked on line, then when I got an iPhone, I use an app. It tracks both what I eat and my workouts. The only things I try never to eat is real Cokes and fried foods (oh also gave up mayo and dressings of any kind). I go for low calorie options when possible, but if I eat a burger now and then I just account for it. I more or less live on eggs, cheese and sandwiches. I do try to get some veggies, fruits and yogurt. I watch calories, but I don't watch anything else (ratio's or anything). Tho my tracker tells me, if I see I'm high on fat, I don't really care. So long as my total calories are ok. I also don't get excited about going over a day. So long as I have a negative or even for the week.

My big secret? Burn more calories than I take in.

In Sept/Oct of '07 I joined 24 Hour fitness and started working out. Just about the entire first year I did only elliptical. Slowly building speed and time. In fall of '08 I started adding some small weight, but not much. Spring of this year I took up running and completed the C25K program (great program). I completed it, if slow...lol. I'm doing more weights since the summer of this year.

My "start" weight was 271-273 in fall of '07 (I'm 5'10-11). My Dr. wanted me to lose 30-40 pounds so that was my initial goal. But as I got there and started feeling better I just kept going! In fact at 225 my Dr. said that was good enough unless I really wanted to go to 215. So I did that. Then I thought I was close to -60 lbs so I went to 211. Without trying to hard I got down to 205, so again I thought might as well get to -70 for a big meeting I coming. So by early Feb of 09 I was -70. Since that time I've been trying to maintain and "live with it". I have more or less done that with some minor fluctuation (within about -62 to -70). I've been focusing on trying new workouts, increasing intensity of those I do, running and weights. My newest goal is to lose another 10 lbs by November for wifes and I's Anniversary cruise. That will put me at -80lbs

I do not know what my body fat is. Have no idea either started or current. Amazon had a sale on one of those scales that would tell you and I almost ordered. But I'm really trying to keep things as simple as possible and I'm not in training for anything. I just want general better health. I want to eat "real" food, just "right eat" the correct portions. I love to cook, but I travel a lot so that part is hard as I miss cooking. But I've learned that not being able to cook is just an excuse. I lost most of my weight by eating the vast majority of my meals at restaurants.

As for blood pressure that started it all. My Dr. has adjusted a little once (down). And I'm hoping he will again soon. I monitor it at home and last time I checked it was 58/101. My goal is to get off the medication all together.

So much for briefly....LOL...and sorry for others who have heard it all before...LOL

Here is before and after pics (the after pic was a few weeks ago while I was in Vegas for meetings the before pic was fall of '07 same place).

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9624271-post13.html

LOL...I noticed I'm off a few pounds between posts...LOL...it seems so long ago...and I didn't start a blog or anything. And Dr's scale is a little off. Well maybe not off as I usually weight naked at home (right before I get in the shower). As of an hour ago...lol...I'm at 201
The after pic in the post you referenced is not working, just the before. I am very interested to see how you are doing.

I really want to get back into it. I am already down over 100 still, and want to get down at least 100 more. It is just hard when you don't have anyone here actually rooting you on. I am going to try though

For instance... for my first break at work I had 2 yogurts and one of those broccoli and cheese 45 calorie for one things (I am addicted to those). For lunch the chicken marinara lean cuisine entree is usually not enough to hold me until my last break so I made another one of those broccoli things and mixed it in to make it easier to last. That is all that I have had today so far. Will probably for dinner have another one of those broccoli things and a can of progressive soup (vegetable) for dinner. Then maybe a yogurt or 2 for a snack later before bed.

I'm also going to try something new tonight.... I am going to (shudder) hook up my blackberry to some headphones, start up my slacker radio and go walking. I think the food part is doing alright, but I really need to start working out at least some, and get used to it.

Last edited by glassdragon; 08-31-09 at 07:13 PM.
glassdragon is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 07:23 PM
  #513  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,290
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
The after pic in the post you referenced is not working, just the before. I am very interested to see how you are doing.

I really want to get back into it. I am already down over 100 still, and want to get down at least 100 more. It is just hard when you don't have anyone here actually rooting you on. I am going to try though

For instance... for my first break at work I had 2 yogurts and one of those broccoli and cheese 45 calorie for one things (I am addicted to those). For lunch the chicken marinara lean cuisine entree is usually not enough to hold me until my last break so I made another one of those broccoli things and mixed it in to make it easier to last. That is all that I have had today so far. Will probably for dinner have another one of those broccoli things and a can of progressive soup (vegetable) for dinner. Then maybe a yogurt or 2 for a snack later before bed.

I'm also going to try something new tonight.... I am going to (shudder) hook up my blackberry to some headphones, start up my slacker radio and go walking. I think the food part is doing alright, but I really need to start working out at least some, and get used to it.
Humm...see if this works. It is the after. I can see it on Chrome anyway...tho after is relative as I'm still working on it.



And the before....


Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-31-09 at 07:32 PM.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 07:36 PM
  #514  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,128
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Back on the treadmill.

60 minutes
5.05 miles
860 calories
216.2 lbs

No jogging for 2 days, gained 0.2 lbs. I seem to have hit a wall, somewhat discouraging. I haven't lost any weight in 2 weeks. I'm not eating poorly, I'm getting sort of bummed out. I've only lost 3 pounds this whole month.
zombeaner is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 08:04 PM
  #515  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,218
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
My big secret? Burn more calories than I take in.
EXACTLY

For example, instead of sitting on my ass at work for one hour...I changed into some workout clothes and went for a walk/jog for about 55mins. Tonight? I'm hitting it again for about 2hrs+.

Forget all other weight loss programs. Find a low-cal food and low-carb selection of foods you can live with each day, and you'll drop the fat rather significantly. Eat a salad (cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes) with a vinegar dressing. Add a yogurt to this lunch initially (but in a few months, drop the yogurt as it's very high in sugar and replace it with a Nature Valley granola bar).

The key is GRADUALLY working your calorie intake down to bare nothing. Your body WILL adapt. Once you're body is stripped of fat, you then rebuild your body with protein (although being careful to not intake too much as you'll turn this into fat as well).

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 08-31-09 at 08:07 PM.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 08:10 PM
  #516  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,218
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
Back on the treadmill.

60 minutes
5.05 miles
860 calories
216.2 lbs

No jogging for 2 days, gained 0.2 lbs. I seem to have hit a wall, somewhat discouraging. I haven't lost any weight in 2 weeks. I'm not eating poorly, I'm getting sort of bummed out. I've only lost 3 pounds this whole month.
Change your diet. What are you eating. I've hit the same problem a few times already. If you change-up your diet, your body will shake itself up a little, and dive into its reserves a little deeper.

For example, just eat a cucumber (a decently long one) for lunch, while drinking a good amount of water and even add some EmergenC to it to gain some extra energy if you need to. Then eat normal for dinner. Just change your lunch habit for a week and get back to me Friday evening.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 09:14 PM
  #517  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,128
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Change your diet. What are you eating. I've hit the same problem a few times already. If you change-up your diet, your body will shake itself up a little, and dive into its reserves a little deeper.

For example, just eat a cucumber (a decently long one) for lunch, while drinking a good amount of water and even add some EmergenC to it to gain some extra energy if you need to. Then eat normal for dinner. Just change your lunch habit for a week and get back to me Friday evening.
I'll give you today's menu, it was pretty typical:

Breakfast:
2 eggs fried canola oil
2 strips turkey bacon
1 slice sourdough toast
Crystal Light

Lunch:
1 serving Wheat Thins
1 piece light string cheese
1 mini blueberry muffin
1 turkey/Havarti sandwich w/light mayo & mustard
Crystal Light

Dinner (this was after reading your suggestions):
5 stalks of celery
handful of baby carrots
small amount of hummus
baked chicken leftovers, white meat, no skin
zombeaner is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 09:35 PM
  #518  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,290
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
Back on the treadmill.

60 minutes
5.05 miles
860 calories
216.2 lbs

No jogging for 2 days, gained 0.2 lbs. I seem to have hit a wall, somewhat discouraging. I haven't lost any weight in 2 weeks. I'm not eating poorly, I'm getting sort of bummed out. I've only lost 3 pounds this whole month.
In addition to the excellent suggestion to change up your diet, you might change up your workout. Have you been running a hour for a while now? Have you thought of speeding up, but at a shorter distance? Or maybe even some intervals where you go pretty fast for a few minutes then slow for a few?
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 09:43 PM
  #519  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,290
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Speed kills? I've been messing around with running style, distance and times. I did the entire C25K program at 5.0mpr for the running part and 3.5 mpr for the walking part. Got thru the entire program meaning I was running the 3 miles in 36 minutes (12 minute miles) a couple months ago. Well as I just began to work on speed, I torn a calf muscle and have been getting back into running the last couple weeks.

Tonight I thought I return to the C25K program "for fun". I did Week 4 day 1. The difference? I did the running part at 6 mpr and the walking part at 4 mpr. It was tough! Basically this day breaks down like this,

5 minute walk to warm up
3 minute run
90 second walk
5 minute run
2.5 minute walk
3 minute run
90 second walk
5 minute run
5 minute walk cool down

Running at the 6 mpr pass and walking at the 4 mpr pace seemed a good workout and my heart monitor seemed to reflect that,

348 calories burned
72% average HR
84% max HR

Hummm, I might continue the program at that speed. Will see....
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 09:49 PM
  #520  
DVD Talk Legend
 
FantasticVSDoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: No longer trapped
Posts: 11,610
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Yeah you need to change that diet up... I like the breakfast but I would lose the toast. Drop the wheat thins and the blue berry muffin. Actually get some fresh blueberries. They are in season a delicious, and one of the best fruits you can have. Your dinner looks pretty good.
FantasticVSDoom is offline  
Old 09-01-09, 12:32 AM
  #521  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,218
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
I'll give you today's menu, it was pretty typical:

Breakfast:
2 eggs fried canola oil
2 strips turkey bacon
1 slice sourdough toast
Crystal Light

Lunch:
1 serving Wheat Thins
1 piece light string cheese
1 mini blueberry muffin
1 turkey/Havarti sandwich w/light mayo & mustard
Crystal Light

Dinner (this was after reading your suggestions):
5 stalks of celery
handful of baby carrots
small amount of hummus
baked chicken leftovers, white meat, no skin
Kinda what FantasticVSDoom said. Lose the carbs, which means lose the bread and flour foods. When you say "1 turkey sandwich", are you including two pieces of bread with it? Because that's about 50g of carbs right there. Wheat thins is probably another 20g of carbs for one serving I'd expect. You should try dropping your daily total carbs to about half of what your doing now. Just try it for a few days. Your diet is pretty good already, but make your body work to the next level.

Also, are you just doing the treadmill? No actually jogging outdoors in a variable environment? Because I strongly suggest trying this to change-up your muscle expectancy as well. In addition, grab two 8lb weights from the gym (while you're there after your treadmill routine) and when you're not--from a local used sports store or Amazon, and start doing flys with them, just to get your arms and shoulders to the point to where you reach exhaustion after your treadmill workout. You'll start noticing more definition, and your muscles will "reach" and "grab" fat where it can to supply your additional routine with more energy.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 09-01-09 at 12:38 AM.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-01-09, 06:15 AM
  #522  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,128
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

I'll try a few of these things. I can skip the crackers and the muffin at lunch. I might cut the sandwich in half, but I'll need substitutes so I don't get too hungry, any ideas? Would rolled up lunch meat be okay?
zombeaner is offline  
Old 09-01-09, 09:30 AM
  #523  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,290
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
I'll try a few of these things. I can skip the crackers and the muffin at lunch. I might cut the sandwich in half, but I'll need substitutes so I don't get too hungry, any ideas? Would rolled up lunch meat be okay?
One of my daughters favorite is lettuce wraps. Basically make a sandwich roll up but instead of tortilla's us lettuce. I do it as well from time to time.

Some restaurants offer "protein" style hamburgers that way. No bun, but wrapped in lettuce.

I'm a sandwich whore! Done correctly, you can use a sandwich (or half a sandwich) as a snack as well.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 09-01-09, 11:43 AM
  #524  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 285
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Well back from the Dr. At the Dr's office I'm 204. So that means my home scale should be real close. I'm at 201 at home, naked...LOL...so probably 2-3 lbs of clothing.

Also, he was so impressed with weight loss and tracking BP he is lowering my meds from 40mg daily to 20mg daily!!! So heading in the right direction. Hopefully. Of course he wants me to check in, in a month to make sure nothing dramatic happens.
The Eliminator is offline  
Old 09-01-09, 12:13 PM
  #525  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,305
Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Great news on the BP medication. I've heard from too many people whose doctors were unwilling to work with them on reducing/eliminating medication, even after significant progress has been made.

My ankle has been a bit sore the past few days, so I think I'm going to lay off the cardio for a while, as well as lunges, etc. Boo.
GoVegan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.