DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Biggest Loser 2009 Part II (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/559270-biggest-loser-2009-part-ii.html)

GatorDeb 08-06-09 12:40 PM

Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions (Post 9626285)
Not everyone is looking to bulk up, get ripped and look like a meathead. Some of us are using the weights FOR endurance because we have the muscle and want to change the way it's used. That still builds muscle, as when you hit the end of your set - muscles will be burning, tight, and exercised if you do it right.

If I was looking to bulk up, I'd do heavy weight low reps. I'm looking to tighten, strengthen and add endurance, so I go lighter. Is that wrong? According to you, yes. But it's not.

I'm looking to raise my resting metabolic rate so that I burn more calories throughout the day and to build muscle (with the implied goal of losing fat through those two goals), so I'm looking to follow the book.

You want to up your endurance, you do something that raises your endurance.

Look at what your goal is, research, and do something that brings you closer to your own personal goal.

The Bus 08-06-09 12:42 PM

Another very good, very cheap piece of exercise equipment: a jumprope.

FantasticVSDoom 08-06-09 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions (Post 9626285)
Not everyone is looking to bulk up, get ripped and look like a meathead. Some of us are using the weights FOR endurance because we have the muscle and want to change the way it's used. That still builds muscle, as when you hit the end of your set - muscles will be burning, tight, and exercised if you do it right.

If I was looking to bulk up, I'd do heavy weight low reps. I'm looking to tighten, strengthen and add endurance, so I go lighter. Is that wrong? According to you, yes. But it's not.

Sorry, but this is wrong... Bulking up, like losing weight has to do with the amount of food you eat while training. Doing lighter weights is not going to strengthen you at all, and will only improve your endurance to be able to do "work" at that weight.

GatorDeb 08-06-09 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9626503)

I used to jump rope for hours for FUN when I was a kid :( Here's looking to the day when I can start doing that again, right now I can only do a handful of hops at a time.

Sdallnct 08-06-09 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9626503)

I was always around 235-245. Then Hurricane Katrina hit and I had to go work in NOLA for 9 months. No gyms were open. The hotel gym was flooded and they were unable to repair any time soon. Only restaurants that opened were McDonalds. I literally had a 1/4 pounder w/cheese large fry and large coke for dinner every night for weeks. Not to mention lunch! That is when I gained 30-40 more pounds.

When Hurricane Ike and his friends were coming fall of last year, I was in a panic! I had lost the 30-40 lbs and I was still losing and I didn't want to go back. So before I was deployed I put together a "portable gym".

Travel - push up things
several different weight bands
jump rope
pedometer
workout video

I also had decided that once I got there, on my first day off, I was going to drive no matter how far to buy a portable grill.

Luckily, I was deployed to Florida where one of our large centralized offices is located and that suffered no damage. I was able to join a gym.

But I still carry that stuff with me. It is great for quick meetings where there is no gym or the hotel gym sucks.

I have learned that there are things to eat at McDonalds. I have also learned you can lose weight eating out (tho I agree not idea). That travel is not an excuse to not lose weight and get in shape. A little planning, a little education...can go far.

Liver&Onions 08-06-09 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom (Post 9626508)
Sorry, but this is wrong... Bulking up, like losing weight has to do with the amount of food you eat while training. Doing lighter weights is not going to strengthen you at all, and will only improve your endurance to be able to do "work" at that weight.

It'll build a different type of muscle no? SHort heavy lifting will build short muscle fibers, while the longer endurance lifting will help build those cells into a different type of muscle...

The Bus 08-06-09 01:03 PM

Wrong. You can't build one type of muscle into another type of muscle. Everyone is born with different ratios of muscle (I forget which exactly: short fiber, etc). Depending on what you do, you're working those types of muscles.

Anubis2005X 08-06-09 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 9626519)
I used to jump rope for hours for FUN when I was a kid :( Here's looking to the day when I can start doing that again, right now I can only do a handful of hops at a time.

What about trampolines? Those are dang fun and probably burn a decent amount of calories.

Liver&Onions 08-06-09 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9626573)
Wrong. You can't build one type of muscle into another type of muscle. Everyone is born with different ratios of muscle (I forget which exactly: short fiber, etc). Depending on what you do, you're working those types of muscles.

Then I'm making my long stretchy ones that much long and stretchier!

I guess that makes sense though. Since starting this regiment I've still been able to keep the speed i had before (in hockey), but not I can keep that speed for much longer and have a much shorter recovery period.

FantasticVSDoom 08-06-09 01:37 PM

Yeah, what type of muscle fibers we have are due to genetics (hence gifted athletes)... All weightlifting does is allow us to recruit more of the fibers we already have. Thats basically just adaptation, and is the reason why everyone has a genetic potential. Obviously, someone like say Usain Bolt or Lance Armstrong has a different genetic potential than say myself. So I can train as hard as humanly possible, I will never be close to as fast as Bolt, or have the endurance capacity of Armstrong.

What I would suggest is cycling weights from heavy and lighter periods of training (periodization)...That way you are always forcing your body into different types of muscular adaptation.

Liver&Onions 08-06-09 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom (Post 9626693)
Yeah, what type of muscle fibers we have are due to genetics (hence gifted athletes)... All weightlifting does is allow us to recruit more of the fibers we already have. Thats basically just adaptation, and is the reason why everyone has a genetic potential. Obviously, someone like say Usain Bolt or Lance Armstrong has a different genetic potential than say myself. So I can train as hard as humanly possible, I will never be close to as fast as Bolt, or have the endurance capacity of Armstrong.

What I would suggest is cycling weights from heavy and lighter periods of training (periodization)...

Yeah, I've always been built for bursts of speed - but nothing long at all. I'll add in some heavy lifting days as well thanks for the tip/corrections - i get some of the endurance from the S.E.T classes at 24hr. Those are brutal (but awesome), so adding heavier weights would be good.

GatorDeb 08-06-09 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X (Post 9626605)
What about trampolines? Those are dang fun and probably burn a decent amount of calories.

http://www.skyzonesports.com/FITNESS...5/Default.aspx

I belong to a Meetup group that has free Skyrobics nights all the time...waiting for a Wednesday one again so that I can try it for free.

Anubis2005X 08-06-09 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 9626791)
http://www.skyzonesports.com/FITNESS...5/Default.aspx

I belong to a Meetup group that has free Skyrobics nights all the time...waiting for a Wednesday one again so that I can try it for free.

Awesome! If only there were more than just three locations, dah...

GatorDeb 08-06-09 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X (Post 9626856)
Awesome! If only there were more than just three locations, dah...

Gah, I hadn't realized there wasn't one "in every corner" ... that Meetup group has them all the time (free for first-timers) and I thought it had a bunch of locations. It's 32 minutes away so I doubt I'll even go to the free night... I'm not about to drive over an hour just for the novelty of it... and even if I like it, I'm not pre-paying five dollars an hour to go on a 46-mile trek every time, not when my gym is a 2.74 mile round-trip.

Liver&Onions 08-06-09 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 9626874)
and even if I like it, I'm not pre-paying five dollars an hour to go on a 46-mile trek every time, not when my gym is a 2.74 mile round-trip.

and you've decided not to use it.

GatorDeb 08-06-09 04:12 PM

I like protein shakes, but protein shakes with stuff added (i.e. the one I drink has peanut butter, low-fat yogurt, non-fat milk, and low-sugar flavored oatmeal).

Is there a benefit in making my own versus buying pre-made ones? I.e. Dannon Slim & Fit, EAS shakes, etc.? Is it any better to make it fresh?

I just got a Magic Bullet ($50 on eBay shipped + $8 2-year warranty... I hear those things wear out fast so I'll most probably use the warranty and just be out the $8 for however many months I use it) because the blender I have is too unwieldy to clean. And this way I clean the blender/cup all in one fell swoop and it's easier to manage.

So what pre-made shakes have you used and like? And what homemade shakes have you come up with? I want to do a fruit one once I get the MB. There's just so much stuff you can do with a blender. I don't really like standard water/whey protein shakes so a whole world has opened up to me when I start adding stuff to it.

Liver&Onions 08-06-09 04:19 PM

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...ight=Smoothies

How much money have you spent on this health kick to date?

You never cease to amaze. The couple minutes it takes to use and clean a blender isn't worth your time, so spend $60 on another blender.

Here's tip on how to easily clean a blender.
put hot soapy water in it
turn it on
dump it out
unscrew and give a quick wipe.

GatorDeb 08-06-09 04:22 PM

About $80 in books.
$575 in gym for three years (comes with a $200 gadget for free)
Counting workout clothes? $50
Weight scale $70
Magic Bullet $50
Food - about $300 a month

Still to get:
$60 for 2 pairs of workout shoes

BTW that thread is mostly fruit smoothies. I'm looking more into protein shake ideas. I would have never thought to put oatmeal into a protein shake and it's a brilliant idea.

I THINK the MB comes with lids, so I can take it to work.

The thing WILL break down within the year according to 90% of the reviews out there, so I'd just be out the $8. And if it doesn't... $58 for 24 months comes out to $2.42 a month for daily convenience. The regular blender is just a hassle, and I'd blend a lot more with something smaller.

Holy **** :eek:

Originally Posted by logrus9 (Post 6880376)
Try using liquid eggwhites instead. They come pastuerized in cartons.

I have some liquid eggwhites... not sure about the taste, though... anyone tried this? I don't think I'm that brave.

Venusian 08-06-09 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions (Post 9627213)
How much money have you spent on this health kick to date?

You never cease to amaze. The couple minutes it takes to use and clean a blender isn't worth your time, so spend $60 on another blender.

my amateur diagnosis over the internet is that she's a compulsive shopper. it feels good to buy stuff. a new hobby allows her to buy more stuff. The good thing in this case is the hobby (working out) might produce good side effects. hopefully when she runs out of things to buy she doesnt get bored and look for another hobby

Sdallnct 08-06-09 04:46 PM

I actually I've been looking at picking up a compact blender to take on an upcoming cruise. Believe it or not, the cruise travel site that I got the idea from recommends this one. I went and looked at it today and $16.00 at my local Wally World. I didn't pick up yet as I want to talk to wife about what kind of drinks she wants in our cabin. I wasn't planning on frozen drinks, but it is a Caribbean cruise...so maybe...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5924588

U6C84 08-06-09 04:48 PM

I'm not a shoe expert but $60 for 2 pairs of shoes doesn't seem to be enough.

I have a couple pair of running shoes, and each one is at least $80 or so.

Anubis2005X 08-06-09 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Venusian (Post 9627246)
my amateur diagnosis over the internet is that she's a compulsive shopper. it feels good to buy stuff. a new hobby allows her to buy more stuff. The good thing in this case is the hobby (working out) might produce good side effects. hopefully when she runs out of things to buy she doesnt get bored and look for another hobby

That's almost $900 w/o even counting food. Deb, didn't you just have a thread recently about trying to get out of debt? Losing weight and getting out of debt all come down to personal discipline!

GatorDeb 08-06-09 04:53 PM

Hamilton blenders are good :)

Amazon has New Balance shoes on sale all the time, different colors and sizes. $30. Waiting for my size (8.5, currently the 9 is on sale for $30).

GatorDeb 08-06-09 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X (Post 9627348)
That's almost $900 w/o even counting food. Deb, didn't you just have a thread recently about trying to get out of debt? Losing weight and getting out of debt all come down to personal discipline!

I would say $825 is more "almost $800" than "almost $900" but oh well... you could also say it's "almost $1000!"

And of course you don't count food. If we start to count food... then we start counting electricity, and rent, and gasoline. Some things you just buy.

If I don't do this now, it's going to be thousands and thousands of dollars in medical care in 50 years or less (or may be even more). Can't remember what but something in women slows down considerably after age 34 and I'm 31, so if I'm going to shed the weight it's going to be now.

I don't regret a single penny I've spent on this, and I can almost guarantee it will pay off considerably over my lifetime.

Liver&Onions 08-06-09 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X (Post 9627348)

I dare you to ask how many apps she's got for both of her ipod touches or kindles.