Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Old 08-14-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Biggest Loser 2009 Part II

Originally Posted by bwvanh114 View Post
Personally, the way I do it is:

1. Determine what you want your total caloric intake to be.
2. Determine how much protein you want/need.

Let everything else work itself out. All you have to do is track 2 things. Total calories and proteins.

Look, if you don't pay attention to total calories you will be doing yourself a disserive.

If you don't pay attention to getting the right amount of protein, you will be doing yourself a disservice.

Fat and carbs can figure themselves out.
That is basically what I do, but I also make sure that my calories are coming from good food sources.
Old 08-14-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
That is basically what I do, but I also make sure that my calories are coming from good food sources.
I read one philosophy/thing to do: Only eat things that you can imagine it being made in 1-2 steps.

Fruits - fall from tree, eat.
Beef - cut out of cow, eat.
Veggies - wash and eat.
Strawberry-banana smoothie - cut up fruits, add milk from cow, blend and eat
Twinkie - Pull off twinkie tree? = fail, so don't eat it.
Chicken stir fry - cut up dead chicken, heat. cut up veggies, heat. Add pepper flakes from peppers, add soy sauce extracted from soy. Simple, so eat it.
etc.

I've been trying to do that and I think it's helpful as an overall goal. There are of course a few exceptions like protein shakes and like sdallnct (I think it was him) I don't go overboard with the diet part in terms of rules, micromanaging, etc.

I notice GaterDeb logs sodium, cholesterol, % cal from fat, % cal from carbs, azimuth of Venus, phase of moon, etc. It's just too damn much for me. I have to keep it simple - I think that will help me stick with something long term.
Old 08-14-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really log all that stuff per se. I use an online nutrition tracking program into which I can add foods that are not already there, so all I have to do is pick and choose what I ate and it breaks down everything. I can even create meals, so that I can add Protein Shake and it adds in 2 tbsp PB, 2 tbsp chocolate whey powder, 1 serving oatmeal, 2 tspns low-fat vanilla yogurt, 1 serving milk, all in one swoop. I tried all the ones here and others and that one was the easiest to use for me, and once I get the Body Bugg in four and a half months, it connects to the website to upload calories burned. Pretty awesome site. Http://www.myapex.com
Old 08-14-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

nutritiondata.com?

It's a very cool site. I tried the tracking system but I felt like I had to track everything or it wasn't worth it, and tracking every little thing was a pain/impossible. It's still a great site to look up info on foods.
Old 08-14-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, http://www.myapex.com

That's exactly why I like it, VERY easy and fast to track all that stuff. Enter something you buy all the time once and it's saved. Awesome site.
Old 08-14-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ah, ok. I visited your link, but thought it was just for the device.

EDIT: nd.com lets you save custom meals/recipes too, but even so it's still a pain. I cook quite a bit and I'm always varying recipes or trying something new.

Last edited by wmansir; 08-14-09 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 08:26 PM

Signed up for a 5k on October 18th. Now I've got 10 weeks to train. Hoping I break 30 minutes.

Corrie
Old 08-14-09, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I try to make sure my protein had a face or a soul, and I try to get my carbs from stuff that I can pick from a tree or pull from the earth (as long as it isnt corn or potatoes). If Im lacking energy, I up my fat intake with avocados, olive oil, or nuts/nut butter. I dont track calories, just make sure I have a protein, fat, and carb for every meal and they come from the former sources. I have cheats, but I try to limit them as much as possible. Only supplement is fishoil caps.
Old 08-14-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cwikoff View Post
Signed up for a 5k on October 18th. Now I've got 10 weeks to train. Hoping I break 30 minutes.

Corrie
If your not all ready you should look up the couch 2 5k program. I used to last year and it's a great program.
I think it's c25k.com
Old 08-14-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I have a question between carbs, protein, and fat.

If you get 1700 calories in one day from eating 100% fat ONLY OR
If you get 1700 calories in one day from eating 100% carbs ONLY OR
If you get 1700 calories in one day from eating 100% protein ONLY ...

are they different quality of calories, or all the same? I understand that fat builds up calories quicker so you tend to eat more and that you build up to 1700 calories faster so you get less food for the same amount of calories BUT...

at the end of the day, are 1700 calories from fat, from carbs, or from protein the exact same thing and one won't make you any fatter than the other? I.e. IF you burned 1700 calories that day total, then you would be even no matter if all you ate that day was 1700 calories of straight lard or 1700 calories of protein shakes or 1700 calories of white rice?

Thanks!
I agree with the others a qualified "yes". For losing weight and losing weight only a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

Meaning as a relatively healthy male, if I eat 1,800 calories of ice cream day in day out, I will lose weight.

But in reality it is prescription for failure. First 1,800 calories of ice cream will not fill me up. I will always feel hungry and very likely eventually eat something else and gain weight.

Also, all that sugar and lack of protein would have me crashing and have some serious other issues.

So while more or less a calorie is a calorie for weight loss. To be successful in weight loss and be health with weight loss a balanced diet is what is needed.
Old 08-14-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Corrie
Are you already a runner? If not, check out the C25K program. And if you are, you could use it as a tool to speed up...
Old 08-15-09, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Are you already a runner? If not, check out the C25K program. And if you are, you could use it as a tool to speed up...
I ran my first 5k in May, after training on our treadmill since Feb 14th. My time was 35:40, not great but right at 50% for my gender/age bracket. I'd like to improve my time and hopefully lose another 10 to 15 lbs along the way. I've lost 30 lbs since Feb.

I've found signing up for the 1st 5k did help me to stay motivated to exercise 5 or 6 six days each week along.

Corrie
Old 08-15-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I ran my first 5k in May, after training on our treadmill since Feb 14th. My time was 35:40, not great but right at 50% for my gender/age bracket. I'd like to improve my time and hopefully lose another 10 to 15 lbs along the way. I've lost 30 lbs since Feb.

I've found signing up for the 1st 5k did help me to stay motivated to exercise 5 or 6 six days each week along.

Corrie
Well based on my same experience, I'd say you are doing fine.

I took up running several months ago and used the C25K program. At the end, I was running a 5K in 36 minutes. I had work my way down to a little over 32 minutes. Then a tore a calf muscle and haven't been able to run since. Tho I'm going to try tomorrow. I haven't ran outside at all, so I'd say you are doing a great job.
Old 08-15-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't really log all that stuff per se. I use an online nutrition tracking program into which I can add foods that are not already there, so all I have to do is pick and choose what I ate and it breaks down everything. I can even create meals, so that I can add Protein Shake and it adds in 2 tbsp PB, 2 tbsp chocolate whey powder, 1 serving oatmeal, 2 tspns low-fat vanilla yogurt, 1 serving milk, all in one swoop. I tried all the ones here and others and that one was the easiest to use for me, and once I get the Body Bugg in four and a half months, it connects to the website to upload calories burned. Pretty awesome site. Http://www.myapex.com
I try to track everything. I'm not saying that is for everyone, but it seems to work for me. Event he last several months when I was in maintenance mode, I tracked.

I do attempt to track everything. But I don't get hung up on absolute every calorie. Meaning if I make a sandwich at home, I might take the easy way out and record a subway sandwich. Easier then building a sandwich in my tracker and figure it is close.

I do this to keep an eye out on calories over the entire week. I don't mind if I go over my "alloted" calories for the day, so long as I don't exceed the total for a week. And even if I do for a week, I then try to refocus the next week.

Some people don't like tracking as it "always reminds me of what I can't eat". But I hardly limit exactly what I eat. I had a cheese burger at a sit down restaurant last night. Not the absolute best option, but not terrible, and I just recorded.

And since I do it on my phone, I always have it with me....and not an issue to take a few seconds to record my meal.
Old 08-15-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I basically only look at calories but with the idea that if I eat better foods, better foods have less calories and I can eat more.
Old 08-15-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, I've been eating the wrong thing.

THREE OUNCES --> Fresh & Easy 3 oz ready-to-eat bar-b-q chicken
390 calories
66g protein
9g carbs
9g fat
180mg cholesterol
405g sodium

TWELVE AND A HALF Chicken Breast Meat Only Raw 12.5 oz
389.98 calories
81.8 protein
0 carbs
4.4 fat
206mg cholesterol
230 mg sodium

That's FOUR times as much food with about HALF the sodium and about the same cholesterol, less carbs, half the fat, and about the same protein. FOUR TIMES as much food.

Fresh & Easy - $4 for 3 ounces, $1.33 per ounce
Albertsons - $7 / pound of boneless skinless chicken breast, $7 per 16 ounces, 44 cents per ounce

THREE TIMES more expensive

I am just flabbergasted.

I bought a NuWave oven which I'm going to use to cook chicken and fish, and I totally love my Magic Bullet, 3 smoothies a day for two days now.

$140 for the NuWave, let's say I eat 6 onces a day

F&E = $7.98 a day
Store + oven = $2.64
$5.34 more per day
$140 / $5.34 = free oven in 26 days

So in less than a month I make up the cost of the oven.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-15-09 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-15-09, 01:38 PM

GatorDeb - one of the big differences between the two (besides the cost) is probably the calories and sodium from the BBQ seasoning on the FE one. Keep that in mind when looking for ways to flavor the chicken.

Corrie
Old 08-15-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's also whatever they put on it to be able to eat it out of the package.

Tried some Foster Farms Turkey Tenderloins - delicious. I can cook! Their claim is true = frozen to mouth in 1 hour (55 mins to be exact). Soft and moist. I'm eating today:

20 oz turkey (divided into 4 meals)
1 serving brown rice
1 slice whole wheat bread
3 servings frozen fruit
3 servings fat free milk
2 servings cheerios
1 serving almonds

Two of the meals will be straight turkey. I don't mind eating meat by itself as long as I eat side dishes sometime that day.

That is a huge amount of food. It's after noon and all I've had is 5 oz turkey, rice, and the cheerios. I don't even know if I can eat all that.

42% protein
43% carbs
15% fat

1790 calories
240 mg cholesterol
1805 sodium
22g fiber
1 gram sat fat

(all those values are very good).

I can't wait to start eating a lot of fish. I got about 4-5 days of frozen chicken to get through first, though.

Today I find out how many calories I burn while doing Burn It Up! (Slim-in-6).

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-15-09 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-15-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I use a dry rub on my chicken. Sometimes Italian sometimes spivey.

Deb the key to cooking chicken breast is not to over cook. Of course u want to cook poultry thru. But like anything with low fat, it drys out quickly if u overcook. I don't know anything about that cooker but try to always us it the same way. By the same chicken breast each time. Then u will get the timing perfect.

And while ur cooking....go to wally world and pick up a 1 lb bag of the frozen shrimp peeled and devained with tails on. Like $8 or so. Let thaw in the frig (in a pinch u can put the whole bag in a water bowl to thaw). U can season with whatever u put on chicken and squirt a little lime on them as soon as they r done. They r very good. Again don't overcook but shrimps is easy as they have built in thermometer.

This is one of my favorites. A bag is 3-4 servings I guess. Good on a salad, fajitas, po boy or just eat them!
Old 08-15-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

THREE TIMES more expensive

I am just flabbergasted.
Oh, come on. You REALLY didn't know that pre-prepared food is more expensive than food you prepare yourself? And that food you prepare yourself is also better for you?

So in less than a month I make up the cost of the oven.
lol...why not just cook it in a regular oven...or on the BBQ...and save the cost of the gadget, rather than trying to justify the cost of it?
Old 08-15-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The infrared oven uses MUCH LESS energy than the regular oven, and people who switched from regular to infrared saw a huge decrease in their monthly bills.

It's just amazing when you see it written down like that. Three times as much money for a quarter of the food. It's disgusting

And this is convenient, fast, easy, AND easy to clean up. My four requirements.

I'll have to try those shrimps. I like fried shrimp but I don't know if I like regular shrimp. I guess time will tell

One of the biggest advantages of that oven is that there's no defrosting - fridge to mouth in an hour for most things.
Old 08-15-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have a problem with you Deb, but reading these constant posts about how you can't embrace the fact that you're a compulsive shopper and are trying to rationalize it is really getting tired. I don't understand how you couldn't think food that was already prepared was more expensive than food you can prepare yourself. Now you gotta wait for some fancy schmantzy infrared oven? Jesus Christ.

I'm going shopping today. Although I had a pretty good week last week, something doesn't feel right with what I was eating. I only averaged about 1000 calories a day which is not what I wanted. This is tough.
Old 08-15-09, 03:16 PM

The infrared oven uses MUCH LESS energy than the regular oven, and people who switched from regular to infrared saw a huge decrease in their monthly bills.
Where did you get this information? I'd like to see how much is saved.

It's just amazing when you see it written down like that. Three times as much money for a quarter of the food. It's disgusting
Oh, there's many more things you can find, I'm sure.

And this is convenient, fast, easy, AND easy to clean up. My four requirements.
Why exactly are those your four requirements?
Old 08-15-09, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
I'm going shopping today. Although I had a pretty good week last week, something doesn't feel right with what I was eating. I only averaged about 1000 calories a day which is not what I wanted. This is tough.
Aren't you tired with that few calories? I can't imagine...
Old 08-15-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$140 for the NuWave
For the love, aren't you trying to get out of debt? Stop buying all this pointless crap. Unbelievable...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.