Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for home gym flooring!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-14-09, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a small spare bedroom that I am turning into a workout room/gym for my son's martial arts training.

I want to replace the carpeting in that room for two reasons. First, it's littered with urine stains thanks to a nervous Shih-Tzu. Second, even if the urine stains weren't an issue, the carpet wouldn't be ideal because it doesn't provide a firm surface to support the interlocking foam pads that my son's instructor has graciously provided for us. So I'm looking to just tear up all the old carpet and replace it with some tiling.

What type of tiling would you suggest? Since it's going to be a workout room covered by foam padding anyway, I'm not looking for anything expensive or fancy. I just need something (hopefully) inexpensive that will get the job done. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Need suggestions for home gym flooring!

Parquet wood flooring might work... Its cheap compared to other wood flooring and fairly easy to install, especially if you have the self sticking kind.
Old 04-13-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would ask your son's martial arts instructor what he recommends for flooring. My thinking would be to do something like hardwood covered by a heavy foam pad, kind of like the stuff that wrestling mats are made out of. Maybe even put it on at least a couple of the walls.

The advantage to this would be that you could remove the foam padding and have a nice guest bedroom when you have guests.
Old 04-13-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is 9 months old, had zero responses, and was bumped for spam which has since been deleted.

I'm guessing the OP has already done his remodeling.
Old 04-13-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

'doh! So, what happened with the guest bedroom?