Reload this Page >

Paris/London or Rome?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Paris/London or Rome?

Old 07-07-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris/London or Rome?

My wife and I are looking at taking a vacation during Thanksgiving week. We are trying to decide between a joint London/Paris trip or one to Rome. As we are trying to keep this as economical as possible, we think that the Rome trip will probably be better as there isn't the travel cost getting to and from like there would be in the London/Paris trip. We have also read that London has really expensive hotel rooms.

If we did decide to go to Rome, does anyone have any hotel recommendations or recommendations on touring strategies? We want something priced in the middle, obviously not luxury, but not a hovel either. It's been about 12 years since I was there so I'm sure things have changed quite a bit.
Old 07-07-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Paris/London or Rome?

Maybe make it a poll?
Old 07-07-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would rather do london/paris.
Old 07-07-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

italy is warmer
Old 07-07-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i'd say rome
Old 07-07-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 66 Posts

PARIS! (We did Paris and Rome a couple years back) LOVED PARIS!!

Heard London is very EXPENSIVE!
Old 07-07-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd rather go to Rome right now but that's because I haven't been there since 1983. I've seen Paris and London multiple times since then. Our next big trip is a tour of Italy.
Old 07-07-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 240 Likes on 169 Posts

In order for me:
Paris
Rome
London

I love all three cities, and I can see how some people might not love Paris as much as me, but I've had some of the best times in my life there - If you adhere to their customs, you won't run into "French snobbery", and you'll have a delightful time - but you should really research where to go/stay and what to do. Subsequent visits to Paris are always better than the first.
Old 07-07-09, 12:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Rome has the craziest fast driving taxi drivers. It's also really dirty, after a day out and about you come back to your hotel with half an inch of dust all over you.

Paris has the best cinemas

London - theatre (and they speak English )
Old 07-07-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

ROME!! Was in Italy for our honeymoon a couple of months ago. We stayed in Florence and took day trips to Rome, Venice and Pisa. We could EASILY spent the entire week on Rome. Not sure where the other poster got all his dirt from while in Rome, but we didn't experience anything like that.

So much to see in Rome and the surrounding areas.. Of course, Florence is only a couple of hours away by train if you are so inclined. OhH, and the food=awseome.

Can't comment on hotels as we stayed in Florence (Residence La Contessina HIGHLY recommended). As far as seeing the sites, you don't really need a guided tour, just get a Frommer's guide and a good map. If you would like some guidance there is a hop on-hop off bus tour that you can buy daily passes for. They take you by all the sites and you can get on and off as you please all day.

You can easily dedicate a day to places like the Roman Forum/Colleseum area and Vatican City (maybe even two there if you really take your time). Other places you can hit a couple a day.

You can pretty much walk anywhere you need to go if you stay with the city, but the public transportation is pretty easy to use.

Oh, and the best bit of advice I can give you, USE THE RESTROOM BEFORE YOU GO!! Public restrooms are not plentiful and you have to pay (anywhere from .80 to 1.00 euro). I nearly had an incident in Venice when I didn't go before I got off the train! Found one in the nick of time!

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 07-07-09 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-07-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd take Paris/London over Rome, and I haven't even been to London yet.
Old 07-07-09, 12:52 PM

London/Paris
Old 07-07-09, 01:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
ROME!! Was in Italy for our honeymoon a couple of months ago. We stayed in Florence and took day trips to Rome, Venice and Pisa. We could EASILY spent the entire week on Rome. Not sure where the other poster got all his dirt from while in Rome, but we didn't experience anything like that.

So much to see in Rome and the surrounding areas.. Of course, Florence is only a couple of hours away by train if you are so inclined. OhH, and the food=awseome.

Can't comment on hotels as we stayed in Florence (Residence La Contessina HIGHLY recommended). As far as seeing the sites, you don't really need a guided tour, just get a Frommer's guide and a good map. If you would like some guidance there is a hop on-hop off bus tour that you can buy daily passes for. They take you by all the sites and you can get on and off as you please all day.

You can easily dedicate a day to places like the Roman Forum/Colleseum area and Vatican City (maybe even two there if you really take your time). Other places you can hit a couple a day.

You can pretty much walk anywhere you need to go if you stay with the city, but the public transportation is pretty easy to use.

Oh, and the best bit of advice I can give you, USE THE RESTROOM BEFORE YOU GO!! Public restrooms are not plentiful and you have to pay (anywhere from .80 to 1.00 euro). I nearly had an incident in Venice when I didn't go before I got off the train! Found one in the nick of time!
from walking in and around the ruins.
Old 07-07-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
In order for me:
Paris
Rome
London

Subsequent visits to Paris are always better than the first.
I've been to Paris twice and doubt I'll ever feel as blown away as the first time I went. I haven't been to Rome yet, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I'd choose London/Paris if you've never been to Europe. A few years ago we split 8 days between the two cities and squeezed in what we wanted to do in Paris, but ran out of time in London.
Old 07-07-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Been to both Paris and Rome. We actually did pretty much all of Italy in two separate trips. Rome was amazing but Paris was magical.
Old 07-07-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
It's called WC in Italy. Not all WCs are required to pay.

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
from walking in and around the ruins.
Ehh? You probably played in sandbox there. I walked all over Old Rome ruins and I didn't get dirt.
Old 07-07-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Italy.

I'm planning a solo trip there for mid-January.
Old 07-07-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rome. Rome will be much warmer than London/Paris.

Tons of stuff to do in/around Rome. London is also more expensive than the other two cities.
Old 07-07-09, 04:15 PM

Paris! I completely expected to be underwhelmed...but it was really amazing. And this is AFTER I saw Rome, Prague, Florence, Venice, London, Berlin, Amsterdam in the previous month. Of course, all of those other cities are great, too...but when I wasn't expecting to like Paris much, it was really great to be taken by surprise after seeing those other places.

I loved London, but got a cold and didn't drink nearly as much pub brew as I wish I'd been able to. I did see Oxford, Windsor, Stonehenge, etc around the area and those places were cool too. London was definitely expensive, but with the dollar/pound conversion, you will get a better deal than I did. Right now 1GPB = 1.61USD, whereas when I was there, it was about 1GBP=2USD. That's a pretty big improvement.

I'm with Giles, Rome was dirty. Not just dirt around the ruins/sites, but it was as if the city services were on strike. Trash and plastic bags all over The Forum and the streets around it and the Coliseum. One stop light, I happened to look down (instead of staring awestruck at the crazy drivers) and saw what looked like a GIANT ashtray in the grass. Like someone poured out a cat litter box full of cig butts. Then I notices almost every intersection was like that.

Seriously, it was last summer...and very possibly a time when the city was on strike? Who knows. It WAS a great city, and I would like to go back and see some places I missed or couldn't because of time constraints.
Old 07-07-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on where in Rome you want to stay (big town) and what your goals are there. I've had good luck with the Hotel Rinascimento, which isn't too far from Piazza Navona. It might be in your price range. A good staging ground for a day towards the Vatican and a day towards the forum, etc. I've only stayed in 4 different places in Rome and of them that would probably be my recommendation. It ain't a luxury hotel but I'm usually there for Rome, not the hotel. It's well-kept and the managers are nice. I don't recall if they speak english but I believe so.

I really, really hated Paris. Someday I'll have to go back for a better experience.
Old 07-07-09, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
I really, really hated Paris. Someday I'll have to go back for a better experience.
One of my friends said the same thing after he visited several years ago. Said he would never go back. This may be why I wasn't expecting much, or was ready to not like it either? Not sure.

I DID do a very fun thing while there: Bike Tour (I used Fat Tire Bike Tours--started by some Aggies, actually--and run by Americans, but have also heard good things about Bike About Tours as well). Really great, and very informative while getting active and seeing side roads and stuff you would normally miss while driving around. Our tour guide was hilarious.
Old 07-07-09, 04:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you need to save some cash, do Paris and forget London. If I were doing Italy and could only do one city, I'd be in Florence.
Old 07-07-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"To Rome for everything." - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

"I am in Rome! Oft as the morning ray Visits these eyes, waking at once I cry, Whence this excess of joy? What has befallen me? And from within a thrilling voice replies, Thou art in Rome! A thousand busy thoughts Rush on my mind, a thousand images; And I spring up as girt to run a race!" - Samuel Rogers
Old 07-07-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
If you need to save some cash, do Paris and forget London. If I were doing Italy and could only do one city, I'd be in Florence.

Absolutely recommend Florence over Rome as well.
Old 07-07-09, 04:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
"To Rome for everything." - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Unfortunately for him, Cervantes never saw Paris.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.