Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

YAUCT:Help...I'm Buying A Used Car.

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Which Used Car Would You Purchase?
2004 Porshe Boxster
50.00%
2003 BMW Z4
21.43%
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7.14%
Other (Please List)
14.29%
I Don't Need A Car I Can Just Ride Twikoff To Work
7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Poor 1993 Celica GT Convertible Is Finally Giving Up The Ghost. I Would Like To Stay Around (or Under) $20000 And Get A New (used) Convertible. Which Would I Be Happiest With Out Of These Choices?

2004 Porshe Boxster (17000 Miles):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...BI%3AIT&ih=016

2003 BMW Z4 (15000 Miles):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...BI%3AIT&ih=020

2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP (31000 Miles)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...WA%3AIT&ih=002

Or Any Other Convertible In This Price Range And Why You Would Get It Instead Of These. Maybe Some Otters Have Experience With These Models They Would Like To Share With Me.
Old 07-01-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: YAUCT:Help...I'm Buying A Used Car.

are you looking for a DD, or a fun weekend car?

is reliability an issue?

what are you looking for? a car to cruise around in, or a high performance car?

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 07-01-09 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-01-09, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
are you looking for a DD, or a fun weekend car?

I Plan To Use It Ever Day Until The Wheels Fall Off, Just Like My Celica. I Usually Put Under 10000 Miles A Year On A Vehicle But Will Be Using It Year Round.
Old 07-01-09, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

does size matter? the honda s2000 is a great car, but may be a little small for some...
Old 07-01-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The girl who sits next to me at work used to have a Pontiac Solstice. Hated it. The problem is that it is a small car with absolutely no storage room, not something you might notice on a test drive.

She ended up trading it in afer about six months, lost a lot of money on it but got rid of it.

Go with a Honda S2000, or take a look at Volkeswagons. With Porsche and BMW I would be worried about the cost of maintenance / repairs.
Old 07-02-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

does size matter? the honda s2000 is a great car, but may be a little small for some...
The S2000 Was Actually On My Shortlist Too As Was The Mini Cooper. My Celica Was Probably As Small As Any Of These.
Old 07-02-09, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
The girl who sits next to me at work used to have a Pontiac Solstice. Hated it. The problem is that it is a small car with absolutely no storage room, not something you might notice on a test drive.

She ended up trading it in afer about six months, lost a lot of money on it but got rid of it.

Go with a Honda S2000, or take a look at Volkeswagons. With Porsche and BMW I would be worried about the cost of maintenance / repairs.
if you are worried about maintenance/repair, then i'd stick to a Honda or Toyota. They're consistently the most statistically reliable. With that said, my GTI is about 3 years old now, no real problems with it, but it only has about 26k miles on it though.
Old 07-02-09, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i also would go for s2000.

lexus just came out with theirs, but i dont think it's within your price range.
Old 07-02-09, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dollfins1 View Post
The S2000 Was Actually On My Shortlist Too As Was The Mini Cooper. My Celica Was Probably As Small As Any Of These.
I forgot about the Mini Cooper.

If you want sport handling, go with the Honda S2000. If you want nice handling in a cool looking car, go with the Mini Cooper. I would take either of those over the Porche or BMW listed in the original post (though of course the Mini Cooper is a BMW, sort of).
Old 07-02-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

IMO, the Boxster isn't really worth it (bang for the buck), unless you wanna say, yeah, i own a Porsche. I'd agree with Heat that The s2000 and mini cooper are my top choices as well. Reliability and maintenance wise, the s2000 would probably be the better choice, if that is a concern. Both cars would be fun to drive, i'd suggest test driving both to see which you like better.
Old 07-02-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Z4 is a nice little car, but I agree maintenance cost isn't as cheap as others (e.g. S2000). I can't imagine the Mini being that much cheaper for repairs since it too is effectively a BMW. However, I wouldn't touch the Solstice with a 50ft pole.

I suppose the Porsche is an option, but I've never driven a Boxter so I can't say how I think it really is in terms of value/money. I assume the cost would repair would be more than the BMW, but not by too much.
Old 07-02-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i wouldn't be surprised if it cost 1.5-2x as much to fix the bmw/mini/porsche over the s2000.

some other options is the 350z or mr2 spider or miata or tt roadster or vette.
Old 07-02-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would take a Mini over any of the ones listed on the poll if I were looking for a good used convertible for around $20K.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Tru...c0.m282&_rdc=1
Old 07-02-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks For All The Replies! I Love The Mini But My GF Hates Them. Theres A Nice 350z I'm Watching Now (are They Front Or RWD?) Also A Nice Audi TT (A Little More Than I Wanted To Spend, But AWD). Somebody Bought The BMW So That One Is Off The Table. My First Choice Would Have Been The MR2 Spyder But They Are Pretty Slim Pickings With The Options I Want (Manual Trans + Leather And Not Yellow Or Silver LOL)
Old 07-02-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 07-02-09, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by dollfins1 View Post
Thanks For All The Replies! I Love The Mini But My GF Hates Them. Theres A Nice 350z I'm Watching Now (are They Front Or RWD?) Also A Nice Audi TT (A Little More Than I Wanted To Spend, But AWD). Somebody Bought The BMW So That One Is Off The Table. My First Choice Would Have Been The MR2 Spyder But They Are Pretty Slim Pickings With The Options I Want (Manual Trans + Leather And Not Yellow Or Silver LOL)
You missed capitalizing that one.
Old 07-02-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

350z is rwd. i would strongly suggest checking out the cars first before buying on ebay, if you are really interested, take the car to your local mechanic to get it checked out before buying. because you don't want to end up with a $20k time bomb.
Old 07-02-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

350z is rwd. i would strongly suggest checking out the cars first before buying on ebay, if you are really interested, take the car to your local mechanic to get it checked out before buying. because you don't want to end up with a $20k time bomb.

D.Pham00 Most Of The Ones I'm Looking At Are Still Covered By Factory Warranty To Some Extent Plus Ebay Has Pretty Good Protection For Vehicle Buyers. I'm Also Checking The Feedback First And Trying To Avoid Vehicles With Bad Reps And Looking For Mileage Under 36,000 And Clean Carfax. i Email All The Sellers Before Bidding As Well. There's Just Alot To Choose From Out There. I Just Wasn't Sure About The Nissan. Anyone Have Any Horror Stories About Buying From Ebay They Would Like To Share To Scare Me Back Into A Dealership? My Celica Is Almost 17 Years Old So I Would Probably Be Satisfied With The Ride/Handling/Performance Of Any Of The Vehicles Mentioned.
Old 07-02-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

covered by factory warranty, yes, assuming the car wasn't abused and properly maintained, because if it was abused or not maintained right, then the dealership may not warranty it.

i'm not saying don't buy from ebay, just saying to be very careful. btw, dealerships, especially used car dealerships, can be very shady. One time, i was checking out a car, and asked the salesman, has this car been in any accidents, his answer, of course, was no. well, lo and behold, in the glove box, there was a carfax which showed that the car had been in two accidents. let's just say i didn't frequent that place again.
Old 07-02-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you are looking at a used car, have the engine be dead cold. Pop the hood, take off the cap for the oil over the valves, not the dipstick, the actual cap you would use to put oil in.

While you stand there looking at the opening, have someone start the engine. You are looking for even a small wisp of smoke out of the opening. If you see one, don't but that car.

Those Honda S2000's are sweet. That is such a well designed car in every way. Someone I know has one he's had a lot of work done on, that is a wicked car. You can do so much with that platform. Engine work, suspension, etc.. Over time you can have a car that is capable of amazing performance.

If it were me I'd lean heavily on the S2000 from that group.

But the 350Z(Nissan Skyline) rag would be close to that in consideration.

NEVER buy a Pontiac. Ever.
Old 07-02-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you looking for smaller and sportier then?

What about:

Audi TT
Audi A3
BMW 325i/xi (I'd pick pre-'06 style)
Old 07-02-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
When you are looking at a used car, have the engine be dead cold. Pop the hood, take off the cap for the oil over the valves, not the dipstick, the actual cap you would use to put oil in.

While you stand there looking at the opening, have someone start the engine. You are looking for even a small wisp of smoke out of the opening. If you see one, don't but that car.

Those Honda S2000's are sweet. That is such a well designed car in every way. Someone I know has one he's had a lot of work done on, that is a wicked car. You can do so much with that platform. Engine work, suspension, etc.. Over time you can have a car that is capable of amazing performance.

If it were me I'd lean heavily on the S2000 from that group.

But the 350Z(Nissan Skyline) rag would be close to that in consideration.

NEVER buy a Pontiac. Ever.

Building Something Other Tan Excitement, Are They? I Take It The SKY Has The Same Problems As The Solstice? I Guess I'm Prepared To Put The S2000 Back In The Running.
Old 07-02-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$20,000 on a used car? i'm glad there are people like you
Old 07-02-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Are you looking for smaller and sportier then?

What about:

Audi TT
Audi A3
BMW 325i/xi (I'd pick pre-'06 style)

Sporty Is Good. I Don't Have Any Kids So A 2 Seat Roadster Can Work For Me. My Only Requirements Are Convertible And Manual Transmission. I'd Also Prefer A Smaller Engine Instead Of A V-8 So That Eliminated Most Of The Vettes And 'Stangs. I'm Looking For Decent Performance On A Budget Under 25,000.
Old 07-02-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
$20,000 on a used car? i'm glad there are people like you
Thats Not Bad If It Cost 40k To 45K To Begin With. I Bought My Celica Brand New 16+ Years Ago For 26,000. I'm Willing To Spend A Little Of The $$$ I Saved By Not Needing A Car Every 4 Years. Still Gonna Keep The Celica And Restore It A Little At A Time. Thats How Good That Car Was.

Last edited by dollfins1; 07-02-09 at 03:02 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.