Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Noob Question about Weight Lifting (merged w/ P90X discussion)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-12-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in decent shape but would like to get in even better shape. There was an ad in one of my FHMs or Maxims that mentioned this program called P90X to help you get "ripped."

I checked out the website and everything looks legit. It appears to be a bunch of really high powered workouts and of course you have to follow the diet they suggest.

I tried the Abs Diet last year & though it helped me eat better, it really didn't have the structured workouts I was looking for. I actually gained weight on the Abs diet because they suggest you don't count calories. For me personally, it always seems that if I don't count calories I either fall off the wagon or eat too much of everything (good and bad foods).

I am pretty good about finding the time to workout and doing it but I never seem to get in the shape that all the diets promise (I know, I know...who does?).

But I really want abs, dammit! This p90x looks promising but I can not seem to find any reviews of it other than what is on their website (and believe it or not, people praise it on there! )

I know we have many dieters on the forum here & figured there had to be some of you who tried this or even their other workouts before this one (called Power 90). Just wanting an honest opinion before I shell out 150 clams for something that may be crap.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone?
Old 02-14-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm guessing no.
Old 06-19-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Noob Question about Weight Lifting

Hey guys,

Like many people, I get motivated to go to the gym, feel good the first week, then quickly get discouraged when there are no results from lots of efforts.

But this year, I've been more aggressive, going at least 2-3 times a week. But besides feeling a little firmness, I can't see where lifting weights has helped me at all. I haven't gained any strength increases. In fact, sometimes, I feel even weaker than previous sessions.

Here's my main question:

What is more productive, doing several reps of a lower comfortable weight or a few reps of the maximum weight that I can lift? I see these guys come in, and put the pin on the maximum to show off and then grunt through a few lifts. Does that really build any muscle?
Old 06-19-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Noob Question about Weight Lifting (merged w/ P90X discussion)

It depends on your goals and who you believe;

In general most feel:

Heavier weights with less reps = bulk
Lower weights with more reps = tone & more useful strength.

But those are not your only two options. There is also should I lift fast or slow? Evidently fast can add quick strength while slow can work other muscles as you have to steady everything more.

I recently read an article in Mens Health that what would be "idea" is to mix it up. One day go heavier with less reps and another day go lighter with more reps. In addition mix up what you actually do.

Today I'm adding pushups to my routine. Just to mix things up.

What are your overall goals? Lose weight? Get strong? Train for something?
Old 06-19-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The weight should only be "comfortable" if you are doing your warm-up set. A good goal to shoot for is a weight so heavy that you can do at least 4 reps, but you go into failure after the sixth rep. If you can comfortably do 10 (or more), you need to do a higher weight.

There's one one good way to train while weightlifting, and there's lots of programs you can do that would probably work for you. Although I would hesitate in calling 2-3 times a week an aggressive schedule.

How long have you been at it?
Old 06-19-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Three great places for exercise instruction:

www.exrx.net (get the basics down)
www.crossfit.com (learn new exercises once you get bored)
www.iwantsixpackabs.com/abs.html (how to do it all from home w/o a gym, some diet advice as well)
Old 06-19-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
The weight should only be "comfortable" if you are doing your warm-up set. A good goal to shoot for is a weight so heavy that you can do at least 4 reps, but you go into failure after the sixth rep. If you can comfortably do 10 (or more), you need to do a higher weight.

There's one one good way to train while weightlifting, and there's lots of programs you can do that would probably work for you. Although I would hesitate in calling 2-3 times a week an aggressive schedule.

How long have you been at it?
Been doing it since Jan, but I definitely don't spend enough time on the weights. Once the pain start kicking in, I lose motivation real fast. I've been lifting the comfortable weight and working up to 100 reps before moving to the next level. Sounds like this method isn't productive.

My main goal is to lose weight and get stronger.
Old 06-19-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

100 reps? over how many sets??

I heard this technique and used it for a while...don't anymore but i saw progress when i did. do three sets of 8-10. You shouldn't be able to do more than 10. If you can do 10 at the weight, up the weight. and keep a log so you know what you're doing each time. I did this and saw strength gain. I've been lazy but probably should go back to some kind of system like that.
Old 06-19-09, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
100 reps? over how many sets??

I heard this technique and used it for a while...don't anymore but i saw progress when i did. do three sets of 8-10. You shouldn't be able to do more than 10. If you can do 10 at the weight, up the weight. and keep a log so you know what you're doing each time. I did this and saw strength gain. I've been lazy but probably should go back to some kind of system like that.
That's what personal trainers have you do. And guess what? You can do it without them and save $60 an hour.
Old 06-19-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

proper technique is the most important thing. Be sure you are doing all the exercises correctly, not some kind of approximation to correct (don't swing your arms, etc; ) and be sure you're eating right.

I've been following one of those Body Sculpting Bible books and have seen some pretty good results, their first day workout is broken down as:

One-Arm Row - 12 to 15 reps, 90 seconds rest, 2 sets (each arm)
Push-ups - 12 to 15 reps, 90 seconds rest, 2 sets

Two-Arm Row - 12 to 15 reps, 90s rest, 2 sets
Dumbbell Fly (Lying) - 12 to 15 reps, 90s rest, 2 sets

Dumbbell Curls - 12 to 15 reps, 90s rest, 2 sets (simultaneous)
Dumbbell Lying Tricep Extension - 12 to 15 reps, 90s rest, 2 sets

Hammer Curls - 12 to 15 reps, 90s rest, 2 sets (simultaneous)
Dumbbell Overhead Tricep Extension - 12 to 15 reps, 90s rest, 2 sets

That alone got me some pretty solid results (I've been kind of slacking on the leg days and use one of those P90X videos for ab days.) Of course, it also calls for 6 days a week (Monday/Thursday arms, Tuesday/Friday legs, Wednesday/Sunday abs) mixed with some basic cardio.

And yeah, doing 100 reps at moderate weight?? Not going to see results with that unless you're going to failure at 10 reps a set with 10 sets, but that would just be insane.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-19-09 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-19-09, 08:15 PM

The question you need to ask yourself is "Do I have potential?"
Old 06-19-09, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, 100 is way too much.... as stated, 6-15 reps per set (usually 3-5 sets) depending on whether you want bulk or tone. What is your current body condition ? If you are overweight you might not 'see' or feel the muscles develop as quickly since they are hidden by fat, but over time you will notice a difference. If you expect to go for a week or two and get dramatic results it's not going to happen, it's going to take some time. For me i'd do 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps with 1-2 min between sets, the last few reps of the last set should be difficult to complete.... approaching 'muscle failure' where you couldn't do another rep properly. If you could do more then you aren't working your muscles enough.

Define 'pain' for you... are you adverse to any kind of discomfort ? There is going to be some 'burn' in weight lifting as you push your muscles, but if there is actual pain like an injury then you are overdoing it or doing it wrong. Form is very important, and for that part you might want to get a trainer for a few sessions to show you proper way to lift and check your form. Otherwise, there's good and bad 'pain'... after a good workout i'd feel a dull ache in my muscles for a day or two after but usually fine by third day... but it was not a severe pain that felt like an injury or severely interfered with movement. etc.

If you don't get a trainer, at least watch some videos about proper form.. if you do it wrong you'll end up hurting yourself and won't be able to get results you are looking for.
Old 06-19-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by imperator505 View Post
The question you need to ask yourself is "Do I have potential?"
Old 06-19-09, 10:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of saying I'm going to do 3 sets of 12 reps, you're better off picking up a total # of reps and shooting for that. If you want strength increases says a weight you can lift 4-6 times and set a goal of 25-30 reps, lift as many times as you can, rest for 30secs and go again and repeat until you hit your total.
Old 06-20-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I go to the gym 5 days a week, working a different muscle group every day. Typically, I do lower weight as a warm-up, but once I get into a groove I up the weight to the max I can do without a spotter needed. Also, try doing some supersets, as this will really tax your muscles.

#1, however, is eating right. You should be eating an equal number of grams of protein relative to your body weight. (ie: 180 lbs= 180 grams/protein). And drink a protein shake 30 min before and within 30 min after your workout. Without the proper nutrition you can spend all month in a gym and not see the results you want. It can require a major lifestyle change if you're used to eating crap, but once you get used to it it's easy to maintain.
Old 06-20-09, 01:51 PM
Cool New Member

What's the best protein shake?
Old 06-20-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
#1, however, is eating right. You should be eating an equal number of grams of protein relative to your body weight. (ie: 180 lbs= 180 grams/protein). And drink a protein shake 30 min before and within 30 min after your workout. Without the proper nutrition you can spend all month in a gym and not see the results you want. It can require a major lifestyle change if you're used to eating crap, but once you get used to it it's easy to maintain.
Good advice. (Although I thought it was grams of protein for each pound of muscle?) I've only recently added protein drinks to my regime and I'm already seeing the results after a couple of weeks. (I'm mixing Pure Protein vanilla powder with pineapple juice and ice.)

I go to the gym every other day. I typically do the same workout, mostly upper body, and am mainly focusing on sculpting, not building more mass. For example, I'll do 2 sets of 20 reps at 50 lbs. each on the dumbbell bench press, then 2 sets of 14 reps at 45 lbs. on the dumbbell incline press, etc. It's a quick workout, but taxing, and is achieving my goal of a more "ripped" physique.)

Probably THE most effective thing you can do to increase energy, stamina, and shed excess weight is RUN. Jump on a treadmill. The first quarter mile KILLED me when I first started running, but I eventually worked my way up to 3.5 miles, with an 8 minute "Army mile" my goal. I'll run on the days I don't lift.
Old 06-20-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by pipemann View Post
The Pure Protein selections that come in a can are DELICIOUS, especially on ice. You can find them at Target for four for $5.99. No chalky aftertaste at all, and each can has 20g of protein, IIRC.

Cheaper though to buy a powder and mix with a beverage. I do pineapple juice, or even milk on occasion.
Old 06-20-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you doing the same excercises every time? If you are going two to three times a week or more and you are noticing some weakness it may because your muscles haven't had adequate time to rest. Most bodybuilders split up body parts so that they don't work the same part every few days. If you're just getting into working out a whole body thing makes sense, just to get your muscles used to it, but eventually you'll want to start separating out muscle regions so you muscles have enough time to rebuild.
Old 06-20-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pipemann View Post
I'm curious about this as well...I just started doing simple workouts at home, which is all I really have the time for now, but I've also started eating a LOT more than I used to (less junk food and a lot more good food). I can already tell a difference (I was a skinny 5'9", 150 a month ago...I'm still 5'9" , but already at 157. Maybe that's not a big deal, but for me it seems like it), but I'd like an "easier" way of getting that extra protein.

Any other suggestions for eating to gain muscle mass? I have a naturally athletic build, and don't want to look like a freak given my smaller frame, but would like to add a few pounds yet (about 165 is what I'm thinking as a goal - what do you think? I'm 26 FWIW).
Old 06-20-09, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Any other suggestions for eating to gain muscle mass? I have a naturally athletic build, and don't want to look like a freak given my smaller frame, but would like to add a few pounds yet (about 165 is what I'm thinking as a goal - what do you think? I'm 26 FWIW).
We're pretty close, I'm at about 163, up 12lbs from a yr ago. I eat:

4-5 egg omelette, toast
sandwich
chicken breast
red meat or another chicken breast
celery w peanut butter
cottage cheese
protein shake (1 or 2, i just use water)

It's a lot of food at first but you get used to it. Basically make sure you get enough protein, then you can adjust your fat and carbs accordingly... I usually do more fat and less carbs.

At the gym I do lower reps, usually do 3 workouts a wk...no set schedule, whenever I've recovered and I can get there is when I go.

Last edited by Artman; 06-20-09 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-20-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What kind of protein shake do you like, Artman?

I have to load up on B/S chicken breasts sometime. I love them, and know they're loaded with healthy protein, but I always seem to have none in the freezer.

Best thing about eating this way is it's both more healthy and a hell of a lot cheaper than snacking on Doritos and Pepsi.
Old 06-20-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
What kind of protein shake do you like, Artman?

Best thing about eating this way is it's both more healthy and a hell of a lot cheaper than snacking on Doritos and Pepsi.
I know, it's a lot harder to eat out (even fast food) when you know you can get a dozen eggs for $1.50 and chicken for $2 a lb.

I just use Vanilla Whey Protein, also the cookies n cream muscle milk tastes great... it has more sugar and stuff, but if your trying to gain that's less of a concern.
Old 06-21-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting topic.Ive always been "skinny" but since quitting drinking a few years ago i started eating better and also exercising(nothing heavy duty).Im 5'9" and use to always say i was 150 lbs but i was more like 145.Im now around 155 to maybe 158 depending on the time of the day i weigh myself but im happy and i feel quite a bit stronger.I do think i need to look at increasing my protein intake so thats something i will work on.

Like aktick im shooting for 165

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.