Reload this Page >

Talk to me about Austin, TX

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 06-16-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it's possible (75% chance) I could be moving to Austin, TX in the next couple months. Currently in Omaha, NE after relocating here 3 years ago from No.VA. So, what's Austin like? Awesome? Lot's of things to do? More akin to what I''m use to (that being DC and No.VA) Any otters there?

Also any zip codes I should avoid while looking for apartments? How is the traffic? Should I concentrate on downtown living?

Last edited by squidget; 06-16-09 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-16-09, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Talk to me about Austin, TX

They film the best show on Tv there: Friday Night Lights!

And I think Sandra Bullock and Jesse James live there... and I think they/she/he?? owns a restaurant in Austin.
Old 06-16-09, 06:55 PM

Austin is a young, fun, college town with a lot of high-tech industry. I'm guessing it is about the polar opposite of Omaha. Tons of things to do, especially if you enjoy outdoor activities or night life. Allergies (cedar) are brutal here, so if you suffer from them, you will consider self-mutilation at some point, unless you find a good medication.

Traffic is world-class terrible. It's brutal going in-and-out of downtown during rush hours. There are a ton of condos available downtown that didn't sell before the economy collapsed. Probably can find a nice deal.

I graduated from UT and have been here ever since. It's a cool town.
Old 06-16-09, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Austin is cool as hell.

The proximity to the border makes for some good times on the cheap if you like to party.

Music scene is awesome.
Old 06-16-09, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by DoomsDave View Post
Austin is a young, fun, college town with a lot of high-tech industry. I'm guessing it is about the polar opposite of Omaha. Tons of things to do, especially if you enjoy outdoor activities or night life. Allergies (cedar) are brutal here, so if you suffer from them, you will consider self-mutilation at some point, unless you find a good medication.

Traffic is world-class terrible. It's brutal going in-and-out of downtown during rush hours. There are a ton of condos available downtown that didn't sell before the economy collapsed. Probably can find a nice deal.

I graduated from UT and have been here ever since. It's a cool town.
*ugh* I do have allergies but I don't know about my reaction to Cedar. in VA it was pollen (so much it would coat my car yellow) and in NE its corn dust. Thanks for mentioning it though, I'll be sure to talk to my doctor about my medications.

According to my searching, Austin does seem pretty awesome. One of the reasons I want this job, I need to escape the winters here. Hows the public transportation? Are the taxi rides expensive?
Old 06-16-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 159 Likes on 101 Posts

I've never been but I've always head it's more free spirited than the rest of Texas.
Old 06-16-09, 07:48 PM

Yeah thats a good point, there aren't any DWB* issues in Austin as in say compared to other stories I hear about Texas?

*-Giantrobo knows what I mean
Old 06-16-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by squidget View Post
Yeah thats a good point, there aren't any DWB* issues in Austin as in say compared to other stories I hear about Texas?

*-Giantrobo knows what I mean

One can only hope...
Old 06-16-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Traffic sucks, but other than that I would love to live there.
Old 06-16-09, 08:34 PM

I enjoy living CLOSE to Austin. I don't think I would live inside the city. Avoid most of the housing East of IH 35. Check out some of the outlying areas (Kyle, Buda, San Marcos, Leander, Georgetown, Bastrop, Cedar Park).

It's a very fun city. I'm a live music junkie so I love the nightly supply of any genre of music imaginable. It's a pretty liberal city and there's very much a "live and let live" vibe.

It's very outdoorsy and an active lifestyle is heavily promoted. Lots of lakes, Zilker Park is beautiful, the rivers in the surrounding towns are awesome for river activities.
Old 06-16-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

So it's possible (75% chance) I could be moving to Austin, TX in the next couple months. Currently in Omaha, NE after relocating here 3 years ago from No.VA. So, what's Austin like? Awesome? Lot's of things to do? More akin to what I''m use to (that being DC and No.VA) Any otters there?

Also any zip codes I should avoid while looking for apartments? How is the traffic? Should I concentrate on downtown living?
Your very lucky, I wish I could move to Austin.
Old 06-16-09, 09:23 PM

*ugh* I do have allergies but I don't know about my reaction to Cedar. in VA it was pollen (so much it would coat my car yellow) and in NE its corn dust. Thanks for mentioning it though, I'll be sure to talk to my doctor about my medications.

According to my searching, Austin does seem pretty awesome. One of the reasons I want this job, I need to escape the winters here. Hows the public transportation? Are the taxi rides expensive?
The yellow stuff is usually oak pollen. That's what gets me and yes, it's bad. You're bound to be allergic to something here. The heat is killer (it's 97 right now at 8:30), winter is a blip. Fun place with lots to do. Traffic is something you'll need to start medication to cope with. Public transportation is there but pretty much a joke. Get a bike.

Get a realtor. It's a great place to live.
Old 06-16-09, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Austin = Best TX City I've been to (Dallas, Houston, Austin, S.A.)
Old 06-16-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Round Rock - about 15 minutes north of Austin. If you can afford housing or an apartment in Austin, go for it. I found a nice place for a good price - but I bought it outside of town.

The further you get away from Austin the more "Texan" it gets.
Old 06-16-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Austin is great. I live in Dallas and been to most every major city in Texas and most of the minor one's. Austin is my favorite city. It is awesome! I love going there.

One of the higher cost of living in Texas (if not the highest) but still low compared to the rest of the country.

You are not far at all from the Hill County. There is a great social scene. Sure 6th street is packed with UT kids on the weekend. But it is still fun. And as you move to the other streets off 6th, you get a more mature crowd. Yet still fun. Of course great music. And not just country.

I agree with others, when you are in Austin there is no doubt you are in Texas, but it is probably the least stereotypical "Texas" of any other place in Texas. They don't say "Keep Austin Weird" for nothing!
Old 06-17-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eat a beef chile relleño with tomatillo sauce at Matt's El Rancho.

Last edited by shaun3000; 06-17-09 at 01:11 AM. Reason: can't spell chile. derrrrrrr
Old 06-17-09, 12:59 AM

You like movies? The classics? GEt down here ASAP.

Paramount Theatre summer movie series 2009
Old 06-17-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd View Post
You like movies? The classics? GEt down here ASAP.

Paramount Theatre summer movie series 2009
The Paramount? I'm sure it's nice for classic movies, but you couldn't point him in the direction of the Drafthouse? Its reputation as the greatest theater in the country is well deserved.

I've lived in North Austin for 10 years and while I like it, I will say we'll probably be moving as soon as we can afford it. It might have a reputation as an active city, but I don't understand how it can be. The cedar is bad for allergies (my wife basically can't go outside year round now) and the heat/humidity is pretty much unbareable. It's not quite Houston bad, but it's still oppressively hot and muggy from June through October.

The music scene is pretty nice though and the BBQ is definitely great.
Old 06-17-09, 01:33 PM

I love the Alamo Drafthouse too! Just was so excited about the Paramount summer movie series last night that the Alamo Drafthouse slipped my mind. We just moved down here Monday night.
Old 06-17-09, 02:14 PM

I like movies, both those places sound pretty good. So heat is terrible, I kinda expected that. And really, I would put up with it just to escape another NE winter. -8 then plus windchill ugh. do not want.
Been looking around and the office is in 78729 which I would probably not live downtown. From what I'm hearing about traffic I do not want that commute. If this deal becomes more solid, I'm looking at a trip to visit in July sometime. That should give me a better gage on things.

And my, I didn't realize we had so many TX otters. When is the next meet?
Old 06-17-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't travel but for some reason this thread makes me want to visit Austin.

I have roots in Texas. My Father was from Houston and I still have family there. But I haven't been since 1981.
Old 06-17-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like movies, both those places sound pretty good. So heat is terrible, I kinda expected that. And really, I would put up with it just to escape another NE winter. -8 then plus windchill ugh. do not want.
Been looking around and the office is in 78729 which I would probably not live downtown. From what I'm hearing about traffic I do not want that commute. If this deal becomes more solid, I'm looking at a trip to visit in July sometime. That should give me a better gage on things.

And my, I didn't realize we had so many TX otters. When is the next meet?
I just googled 78729, and looks like that's around the Parmer/45 area. That's north Austin so traffic isn't nearly as bad (because you should be able to avoid 35 completely).

If you don't mind me asking, what company are you working for?
Old 06-17-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alamo Drafthouse is great. I need to go back. I haven't been in a while. I did like the time Alamo showed the Serenity movie out on the set of the Alamo. That was fun. I've only been to Paramount a couple of times when Kevin Smith was screening his movies there. It was alright. Not the best if you get seats that are too far up. There are seats up in the top balcony, where it's hard to see the screen.

The summer heat sucks, but the winters usually only get down into the 30's. If there is ice here, the city shuts down. If your job is in North Austin, I'd just look for someplace north. There are plenty of nice areas. I live in the Wells Branch area of North Austin, and I like it. Outside of rush hour, it's easy to get downtown.
Old 06-17-09, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It doesn't start to cool off here until around October. It's been in the 90's for the last two weeks now...ugh.
Old 06-17-09, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As they say, the only problem with Austin is that it's surrounded by Texas
Seriously though, my husband and I love Austin and go down for a mini vacation every year.

There is amazing shopping right outside of Austin in San Marcos and a little further south is Schlitterbahn...a really awesome waterpark if you're into that

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.