Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Orange and white ball of fur

Old 09-01-09, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Orange and white ball of fur

Some cats do that our cat (also a orange Main Coon like yours ) does that she is very sensitive on where you pet her, and if she doesn't like it she will bite, and she also plays real rough we try to correct her and it has diminished (at least the randomness has ) but it is not completely gone . Part of the reason ours might do it is because she was born from a farm cat and did not get the social part of being a kitten until we got her. So somethings that normally work for cats (holding there scruff like there moms did ) does not work with her. That said I still love her like I do my dog but love them for different reasons.
Old 09-02-09, 02:53 PM

I have a new male cat named Casper hes about 8 months old now he use to be bad at attacking my feet when i was sleeping but only if I was under the comforter other wise he gotten better. He use to like to hide under the bed and try to attack your feet, that doesn't happen much either he only did it playing never to be malicious.
Old 09-02-09, 05:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure if he just wants to play. I feel like we play with him 'enough'.. but maybe not as much as he wants.

Either way, the biting sucks. He just got his adult teeth, so it's almost unbearable.
Old 09-02-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Good picture.
I don't think I like Other P*ssy Kvrdave. I want old kvrdave back!
Old 09-02-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also keep in mind many cats are at the very least a little nocturnal (ours is a terror at night) and you are not playing with them but your feet are moving so they entertain themselves. A spray bottle of water near the bed sometimes help with correcting that just make sure you are a good shot with it.
Old 06-10-10, 08:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

latest update (mainly because I wanted to share the picture below, but...)

Argg! So, he's still pretty bitey and scratchy. Sometimes, I'm convinced he wants to pick a fight with me. Of course, he's very cuddly with my wife. Sometimes, he even takes my spot in bed if I'm staying up late to watch something on TV. Bastard. That said, he's still occasionally aggressive towards her, too, but then he'll turn into an angel pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure he's schizophrenic.

We're going out of town for 2 weeks in August, and we've asked my mother and sister to come by every couple days to feed him and clean his litter. Any recommendations on instructions? Or would we be better off putting him in a kennel? This will be the first time we've left him alone for more than 3 days.

Here's a recent picture of him pretending to be all innocent. Little shit...
Old 06-10-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Two weeks is a bit of a long time in my opinion. I've left my cat alone, but for no more than a week.

If you're relatives to stop by tell them to spend a few minutes with him. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-10-10, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
We're going out of town for 2 weeks in August, and we've asked my mother and sister to come by every couple days to feed him and clean his litter. Any recommendations on instructions?
Get a bigger litterbox or have them come over every other day, without exception. They're animals, but they still deserve a clean place to pee and poop. If you clean the litter daily, he's used to that and three days of all that will build up.

I'd consider boarding in a kennel as a last option. Even if the staff is 100% nice, it's still a tiny cage.

I'd also suggest buying one of those water dishes with a recirculating fountain so his water doesn't get dusty or stagnet. Start measuring how much food/water he consumes every day to make sure there's enough there. Even if they can only sit with him for a few minutes, it will help. Perhaps if they had some new DVDs to watch, they could enjoy a nice movie?

Last edited by OscarBluth; 06-10-10 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-11-10, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Awww, I wuv puddy tats.
Old 06-11-10, 09:02 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OscarBluth View Post
Get a bigger litterbox or have them come over every other day, without exception. They're animals, but they still deserve a clean place to pee and poop. If you clean the litter daily, he's used to that and three days of all that will build up.
We change his litter every other day for the most part. The longest we've let it go was three days. Neither of my relatives have changed a litter box before... but we can show them.

I'd consider boarding in a kennel as a last option. Even if the staff is 100% nice, it's still a tiny cage.
Good point.

I'd also suggest buying one of those water dishes with a recirculating fountain so his water doesn't get dusty or stagnet. Start measuring how much food/water he consumes every day to make sure there's enough there.
We discussed that already. We definitely want to get one of those fountains before we leave in August, but we should probably get it earlier so he gets used to it?

Even if they can only sit with him for a few minutes, it will help. Perhaps if they had some new DVDs to watch, they could enjoy a nice movie?
As it so happens, we have MANY movies for them to watch. We were really expecting them to just come in, change the food and litter, then leave, but if they can spend some time with him, then I'll let them know that they're more than welcome to do that. They can stop if/when he gets bitey.

Thanks!

Old 06-11-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He's beautiful! I have also acquired a creamsicle kitty (in December, although I'm flying under the radar legally speaking ... ) named Vigo. A friend of mine had to rehome him. He is not orange, he's a true beige tabby with cream chest and socks. He is also a little outlaw.

I'm leaving the brood (six now) for nine days on the 25th. A friend's daughter will be house sitting. If you can find a willing student or teen that you know won't destroy your house, that's what I would recommend.
Old 06-11-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love cats, but wife and kids are all allergic. These pictures are making me want to get one anyway. I guess my dog will have to do for now.
Old 10-23-11, 10:54 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, so, within the last week, he's started doing this weird thing with his mouth. He usually does it in the morning, when he's purring. As far as I can tell, it's not after he's finished eating either; that is entirely different. My wife thinks he's getting a furball. Here's a video she recorded today. The clicking that his tongue is making is what seems strange (and new) to us. Any ideas?
Old 10-23-11, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had a cat with orange patches once. I named him Rusty.
Old 10-23-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Eventuallygrowoldandpukeonyourcarpet
Old 10-24-11, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Two thoughts:

One of our cats did something very similar and and it went for a couple of months and we pretty much ignored it. And then the cat stopped eating. After the vet had a good look at her teeth, it was determined that two of her teeth were rotting and had to be pulled. Some cats are prone to teeth problems and it doesn't matter the age of the cat. Our other four cats don't have any teeth problems and are older than this cat. After the teeth were pulled the cat was fine.

The behavior also resembles to a much lesser degree what one of other cats exhibited. We spent a lot of money trying to figure out the cause (scopes down her throat, different vets examining her) and finally one vet hit on the cause. The cat had asthma. She would only exhibit the behavior in the winter time when the house windows were closed. My wife was also big on air fresheners around the house. We got rid of the air fresheners and leave a couple of windows always open (just a little in the winter, naturally) and the problem disappeared immediately.
Old 10-24-11, 10:08 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
Two thoughts:

One of our cats did something very similar and and it went for a couple of months and we pretty much ignored it. And then the cat stopped eating. After the vet had a good look at her teeth, it was determined that two of her teeth were rotting and had to be pulled. Some cats are prone to teeth problems and it doesn't matter the age of the cat. Our other four cats don't have any teeth problems and are older than this cat. After the teeth were pulled the cat was fine.
My wife just told me that our vet is doing "free dental checkups" on Halloween. We can bring him in, he'll get a treat, and they'll check his teeth. We've had him eating dental-specific food for quite some time now, but like you said, some cats are just prone to teeth problems, so maybe that's it.

The behavior also resembles to a much lesser degree what one of other cats exhibited. We spent a lot of money trying to figure out the cause (scopes down her throat, different vets examining her) and finally one vet hit on the cause. The cat had asthma. She would only exhibit the behavior in the winter time when the house windows were closed. My wife was also big on air fresheners around the house. We got rid of the air fresheners and leave a couple of windows always open (just a little in the winter, naturally) and the problem disappeared immediately.
Interesting! Winter has just come upon us up here, and we keep our windows closed 99% of the time. I'll try leaving a window open for him when we're home (there's one that he likes to sit by all the time) and see if it improves before we take him to the vet next week.

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-24-11, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the sort of thing one cat I had did when he had long hair caught between his back teeth.
Old 10-24-11, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think he is indicating he likes you as more than a friend and is into oral. Put some peanut butter on your testicles and hijinks will ensue.
Old 08-03-18, 11:27 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Update: dead.

Fucking hell.
Fuck.
Old 08-03-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Update: dead.

Fucking hell.
Fuck.
Old 08-03-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What happened? Nine years old isn't enough for old age.
Old 08-03-18, 11:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

He was kenneled because we're on vacation 3000 miles away. Everything was fine until today. They checked on him this morning and said he was OK. Went back in and he was dead. They think it was a heart attack. He wasn't a chubby cat but he was loooong. We're not home until Monday.
This. Fucking. Sucks.
Old 08-03-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh hell.
He sounded like such a cool cat.
Old 08-03-18, 11:43 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I realize I hadn't posted about him in this thread since 2011... But yeah... He was the best. The mouth thing he was doing was just fur/hair stuck like you said.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.