Reload this Page >

Recommend a Good Inexpensive Backup Generator

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-13-09, 01:36 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a resident of Tornado Alley and Ice Storm Avenue, I've decided I've spent my last 4-day watt-free ordeal waiting for the local electric utility to clean up after Mother Nature's fits (4 LONG blackouts in less than 2 years).

Really just need something to run: Fridge/Freezer, Microwave, 32" LCD TV, DVD player, aquarium and a few CFL's -- probably not all at once. (No real need for computer power; if the juice is off, my ISP is down too.) A 2000W peak unit might be enough, but 3500-4000W certainly couldn't hurt here.

Generators are thick and plentiful in SW MO, I just need steerage towards a reliable unit at a decent price. Suggestions?
Old 05-13-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Recommend a Good Inexpensive Backup Generator

Originally Posted by unclezippy View Post
(No real need for computer power; if the juice is off, my ISP is down too.)
Uh no. We have generators too. I'm sitting about 20 ft from one.
Old 05-13-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Buttered Cat Array?
Old 05-13-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would probably buy the Honda 2000. It will run very quiet and will use roughly a gallon of gas over 15 hours. Plus, if you decide you need more power, they sell one called the "companion" which is another 2000 that can be linked with the first to give you 4000watts.

They are roughly $900 and $1,000 each, but you have to look around.
Old 05-13-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The generacs are great. Even the ones at home depot. Make sure whatever you get it has the oil shut down (shuts it off if oil runs low) and the auto-idle (idles when there is no load to save gas and then throttles up when you turn something on). Another plus is the ni-cad battery that you keep on charge that runs the electric starter since they are a bitch to pull start. Easy for you and allows for your wife or something to start it without trouble.

Like you said, 4000 should be plenty for that stuff. Your biggest load is the fridge. The rest is tiny, even the TV's and satellite systems.

Don't forget the switch at the panel to cut yourself off the grid (so you don't light up some poor electric company guy trying to fix the power) and you don't have to string extension cords all over the house each time, you can just pick your circuits.