Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So how long before I get my driver's license back (IL)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-12-09, 07:13 PM

I just pulled over for speeding( in Cook County, Illinois). I was going 46 in a 25. I will send in a check tomorrow ( $95 ticket). Right now I have a ticket as the police officer said that I'll get my license back in the mail after the fine is paid.

My question is when can I get that back based on your experience?
Old 05-12-09, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: So how long before I get my driver's license back (IL)

I didn't know they could do that.
Old 05-12-09, 07:35 PM

Taken from the Illinois state police website

Bail for speeding more than 20 miles per hour over the posted limit, but not more than 30 miles per hour over the posted limit, is $95 cash or in lieu of such amount, his/her current Illinois driver's license or an approved bond certificate. Bail for speeding more than 30 miles per hour over the posted speed limit is $105 cash or in lieu of such amount, his/her driver's license or an approved bond certificate. Bail for failure to use safety belts is $55 cash or in lieu of such amount, his/her current Illinois driver's license or an approved bond certificate.
Old 05-12-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How did you get home?
Old 05-12-09, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
How did you get home?
I drove home, I've had people UI work with driving with tickets and as far as I know I can drive on them .
Old 05-12-09, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that's standard in Illinois. You can use the ticket as a substitute for a license until you get it back. In the old days, my under 21 friends used them to get into the bars by changing the birthdate (cops usually write fairly illegibly). Never had one myself so I don't know how long the process is.
Old 05-12-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Yeah, that's standard in Illinois. You can use the ticket as a substitute for a license until you get it back. In the old days, my under 21 friends used them to get into the bars by changing the birthdate (cops usually write fairly illegibly). Never had one myself so I don't know how long the process is.
As a former doorman at a bar I can tell you I pissed off a lot of underage college douchebags when I told them we didn't take tickets as a form of ID.

I can't remember how long it takes, the last one I got was when I first got my license.

If you have a triple A card you can use that as a bond card instead of them taking your license. Saved me from being able to go the bars a few times.
Old 05-12-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i speed along with everyone else, but i never drive this fast when there are houses and people around
Old 05-12-09, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i speed along with everyone else, but i never drive this fast when there are houses and people around
There is no one there. It is smaller road yes, but it has complexes on the left and river on the right. There is no one ever walking there. I have driven this road to get to and from work for 4 1/2 years, and I've probably driven twice as fast on an early am mornings(rarely). Look at the google map of the area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=6833+n...title&resnum=1

Just drag the "streetview" fuy on to Kedzie to see what it looks like, if you care.
Old 05-12-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by amd555 View Post
I drove home, I've had people UI work with driving with tickets and as far as I know I can drive on them .
I've read this post 5 times and I still can't figure it out.
Old 05-12-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by antennaball View Post
Originally Posted by amd555 View Post
I've read this post 5 times and I still can't figure it out.
He said that he works with other people ("UI"=I) who have also been ticketed and had their licenses taken away, and those people have driven cars with just the ticket, so he believes it is OK to do.

Last edited by drmoze; 05-12-09 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-12-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've always wondered how people get a speeding ticket in the city. Cops essentially let you go with traffic. On my way home from work I can get up to 45-50 on Irving Park and that's just trying to keep up with everyone else
Old 05-12-09, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by rocketsauce View Post
I've always wondered how people get a speeding ticket in the city. Cops essentially let you go with traffic. On my way home from work I can get up to 45-50 on Irving Park and that's just trying to keep up with everyone else
meh I see plenty of cops always snaggin someone on Western near Peterson. In rush hour though trying to pull over a speeder would just be foolish,luckily they usually don't.

Also to the OP invest in a bond card or even that AAA card if it in fact does work the same way. You can keep your license should anything like this ever happen again. You won't have to show a ticket like a schmuck.
Old 05-12-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To answer your question - since you plead guilty and mail in the check, you should get your driver's license back in the time it takes for them to receive the check and process the paperwork - no more than a couple weeks from my experience.

http://www.cookcountycourt.org/traff...nse_info3.html

Don't forget to request court supervision and do the traffic school - it's worth it to keep your driving record clean.

http://www.cookcountycourt.org/traff...t/content.html

Last edited by rabbit77; 05-13-09 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-12-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you lose your license, you can still drive around with the ticket acting as a license? What's the point of that?
Old 05-12-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
If you lose your license, you can still drive around with the ticket acting as a license? What's the point of that?
He didn't lose his license as in his driving privelges were revoked or suspended, it was just put up as bond until the fine is paid or his day in court. He could have put up cash in lieu of his driver's license, but the cops tend to not let you know of that option as they write up your ticket.
Old 05-12-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting. I've never had that happen. I've just been handed a ticket or summons, and then been sent on my merry (but slower) way.
Old 05-13-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by rocketsauce View Post
50 on irving! slow the hell down.
Old 05-13-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
50 on irving! slow the hell down.
That's a rarity, but I was keeping up with traffic.
Old 05-13-09, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Case01 View Post

Also to the OP invest in a bond card or even that AAA card if it in fact does work the same way. You can keep your license should anything like this ever happen again. You won't have to show a ticket like a schmuck.
Yup, excellent perk to the AAA membership. In some states in small towns they will take you to the slammer until you pay the fine because they feel your going to leave town (since your just driving through) and won't ever send them the money. Nice to have the AAA bond in case that happens.
Old 05-13-09, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Case01 View Post
It might be easier to just get an Illinois state ID to while the license is being held. I think they're about $5 at the DMV.
Old 05-14-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's exactly what I would do, just leave it at home so if you lose your wallet you have something then if/when you ever need you can grab it.
Old 05-15-09, 03:08 AM
Banned

Kind of unrelated but I was wondering how much it costs for an IL license? I just moved back here a couple months ago and still have a Delaware license.
Old 05-15-09, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

driver's license: $10
Plate: $78
Old 05-15-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You'll get your license back when you either pay the fine, or show up at court and get the ticket dismissed.

And do show up - you'll be offered a chance to do something to get out of the ticket, either traffic school, "court supervision", or possibly something else. It will cost you $25 to $50 over the price of the ticket but you won't have the ticket on your record and your insurance company won't find out about it.

"Court Supervision" is basically ticket probation. If you don't get another ticket in the stated amount of time (30 or 60 days) the first ticket goes away. If you do get a ticket then the first ticket comes back.

My favorite method of dealing with speeding tickets is how Missouri does (or at least used to do) it - they will drop the speeding ticket and give you a larger fine for a non-moving violation. Thus your $75 speeding ticket becomes a $100 loud muffler violation, or a $125 loud radio violation.