Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Moving back home as an adult...

Old 05-06-09, 10:41 AM

Moving back home as an adult...

Anyone ever had to do this?

I am 27, and after living on my own for the past 7 years I may have to move home with the folks.

I racked up some Credit Card debt (about $14,000) and just finished school, so I will be on the job hunt, but will probably need to fly to different cities to do it (looking for work in a creative advertising field). I can't do that when paying high rent and trying to chip away at these bills, but if I move back home with the folks, I may have a little more leeway to tackle my debts and still look for jobs.

Anyone else ever move back at such a late age? Did it work out for the best? Was it a terrible experience? I feel like George Costanza in "Seinfeld" when he had to move back home.
Old 05-06-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Moving back home as an adult...

My sister did it, it's fine as long as you get along with the folks, just don't be a dick and they won't mind either. There's nothing really shameful about it, especially in today's economy, and it does save you a shitload of money.

And if you get a job interview, shouldn't the company be reimbursing your travel fees?
Old 05-06-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm doing it right now (at age 28). Was one of the hundreds of thousands of Americans laid off earlier this year, so I moved into my dad's basement rather than go into debt while I looked for a job.

My situation seems weirder than the normal "moving back home" because it's in a house I never actually lived in before, and my mother died a few years ago. Plus my sister is a high school senior, and my dad already had a live-in nanny to watch over things when he travelled on for work (which is often). So this "home life" is nothing like what I had before. Sometimes I feel like I'm staying in a hostel, or maybe a bed and breakfast on the good days.
Old 05-06-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yet another reason why I don't want children.
Old 05-06-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell, I didn't move out until I was 27. It was just cheaper that way.
Old 05-06-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
Hell, I didn't move out until I was 27. It was just cheaper that way.
Yup, should have never left. My BIL is 27 and hasn't left home. Doesn't pay any bills, has every video game imaginable, and a live in housekeeper!
Old 05-06-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't move out until 26, and if I get laid off and can't find a job, I'm going back too. Suck it parents!
Old 05-06-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh can't be too bad as long as your parents let you live your life and don't start to treat you like you're 15 again.

Good luck getting laid though.
Old 05-06-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I think it used to be rather taboo, to be a certain age still living with parents, or to go back. "OMGZ I'm 18 lets move out and live in poverty!!!!11" in todays economy cant be too appealing. I went back after college, and being an only child helped, and my parents were glad to have me back.

So in other words, don't worry about it. At that age parents are like really cool roommates, and as long as your not a dick, it should be all good. And if you need more examples, in other countries this is the norm.

And as far as getting laid, find chicks with their own places. Now if a girl bangs you in your parents home, she is a keeper.

Last edited by stingermck; 05-06-09 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-06-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are 4 on my street who do this. One sells drugs, one has an out of wedlock child, no idea what the other two do if anything.
Old 05-06-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That sucks, I moved out at 19, and have been on my own for 8 years. I couldn't imagine having to move back home.
Old 05-06-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dieinafire View Post
That sucks, I moved out at 19, and have been on my own for 8 years. I couldn't imagine having to move back home.

According to your past posts i shutter at the thought of you moving back in with your parents
Old 05-06-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good luck getting laid.

= J
Old 05-06-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Moving back in as an adult is one thing....having to do it once you're married is another. The landlords at our apartment abruptly sold the complex to a developer who turned them into condos. We had exactly one month's notification to either enter into a contract to buy where we lived, or get out. My wife found the notice a couple days after her gallbladder surgery while I was at work.

This was July 2006; in October, we hit a deer on the interstate. I was fine, but it severely damaged her shoulder (and, of course, totaled the car). It took her months to recover, by which point it was obvious that she could not return to work as an EMT. Sometime in all this, my Crohn's started to get out of hand and by August '07 I couldn't reliably go to work anymore. Which really sucked, because not only did it drastically lower our income (even though she'd found work at an urgent care center), but I was working at my family's business. Without me there to really keep things together, my grandparents decided to shut it down and sell it.

I was hospitalized twice last year because of my Crohn's, and my wife also had to have surgery because she developed Kienbock's disease (hand bones started dying). It seemed every time we've been on the verge of getting back on our feet, something has happened to knock us right back down.

The upside, though, is that my mom's health has also been bad these last several years, so we've been here to take care of things. Thankfully, my mom and wife get along well and we haven't had any of the drama one might fear as far as that dynamic.

They each insist that this is fine, that it's working out okay, etc., etc., but there's a very big part of me that resents being in this situation at my age (I just turned thirty). I cling to the belief that my guts will soon cooperate and I'll be able to be that breadwinner I want to be (even if I can't eat much of said bread).
Old 05-06-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd almost rather be in your position, because my near 60 year old mom never keeps a job, and she's always threatening me that she'll move in with my girlfriend and I.

I moved out at 19, and have never had to go back. I've never needed any financial help from them either, but I've been pretty lucky. If I ever did have to move in with my dad, it would be rough, because his wife is a pack rat and cleans less than I do. She doesn't work either....come to think of it, my dad has poor taste in women.
Old 05-06-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Many children of Baby Boomers will probably have to have their parents move in with them.
Old 05-06-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ended up doing this a few years ago. My roommates went their seperate ways and I didn't want to end up living with some random people or shelling out $1500+ a month on rent. I figured it would be a short term thing, but here I am x years later. =/

On the plus side since I'm taking masters classes, and with work I don't spend a whole heck of a lot of time there. Also, it's been allowing me to save a lot of money. Hopefully in the next few months I'll finally find my own place to buy.

A friend of mine is in a similar situation. Her marriage went under and she ended up moving back in with her parents. I'd say her story is "worse" than mine in that it has the added component of it being contingent on her marriage/life being turned upside down.
Old 05-06-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I flew the coop as soon as possible (around 19-20) and I would do everything I could to not ever have to move back and get along with my parents.

Around Matto's age I moved from the Northeast to Chicago (around 15 years or so) on my own for work. I just do not know how you rack up all that debt unless it was for school.
Old 05-06-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ like this person I once knew who had $25k credit card debt for random personal purchases?...
Old 05-06-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not being in the situation, I can sit here and say I could never do it. I would almost rather live on the street. I don't get along with my parents and as an adult I really dislike "the people" my parents are. Aside from them being family, I would never speak with them and I couldn't wait to get out of their house.

I have had friends that in their 30's had to move back in with their parents for various reasons. They didn't enjoy it, but they lived through it and are now much better off for having done it.

As for parents moving in with kids, I know people in that situation as well. It seems to suck for everyone. I hope I don't ever have to be in that situation, but I realize it could happen to anyone at anytime...
Old 05-06-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I moved out at 22, had to move home at 24 because the owners of the company I worked for went to jail for fraud, I lost over $6,000 in backpayments. So, not exactly my fault... stayed home for a couple yrs till I found a job and had enough to get back on my feet.... it was tough, mainly because I felt I was not growing as a man, etc but it built character and humbleness I suppose.
Old 05-06-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I moved out for a year when I was 23, but I moved back with my Dad when I went back to college. I'm 27 now and it's helped me tremendously with bills. I'll move out with my gf once I'm done, which shouldn't be too long.
Old 05-06-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I moved back home for about 9 months after I got out of college. I could say I was looking for a job, but I didn't really start looking for 8 months. I was mostly just being lazy because once I started working I knew it would be permanent, but I did work part time for my dad to pay off about $2500 in credit card debt from college.

If my parents lived in the same town I found a job, I would still be living with them. I get along great with my parents plus great food and my mom would still do my laundry. Plus I could save a lot more money for a future down payment.
Old 05-06-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the only issue is if you don't get along well with your parents. Otherwise I don't see any issue.

In my case, my work moved me to the city where they live (parents) so I decided to live with them. It only lasted 6 months since I was moved again, but everything was good.
Old 05-06-09, 04:04 PM
Suspended

No. I'd choose homelessness.

E

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.