Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hydroxycut? That stuff will kill ya.

Old 05-01-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hydroxycut? That stuff will kill ya.

Or not.. But we're one step closer to the FDA regulating herbal supplements!

Originally Posted by Associated Press
WASHINGTON -- Government health officials warned dieters and body builders today to immediately stop using Hydroxycut, a widely sold supplement linked to cases of serious liver damage and at least one death.

The Food and Drug Administration said the maker of the dietary supplement has agreed to recall 14 Hydroxycut products. Available in grocery stores and pharmacies, Hydroxycut is advertised as made from natural ingredients. At least 9 million packages were sold last year, the FDA said.

Dr. Linda Katz of the FDA's food and nutrition division said the agency has received 23 reports of liver problems, including the death of a 19-year-old boy living in the Southwest. The teenager died in 2007, and the death was reported to the FDA this March.

Other patients experienced symptoms ranging from jaundice, or yellowing of the skin, to liver failure. One received a transplant and another was placed on a list to await a new liver.

There was no immediate comment from the U.S. distributor of the diet pill, Iovate Health Sciences, headquartered near Buffalo, N.Y. Made by a Canadian company, Hydroxycut is used by people trying to shed pounds and by body builders to sharpen their muscles.

Dietary supplements aren't as tightly regulated by the government as medications. Manufacturers don't need to prove to the FDA that their products are safe and effective before they can sell them to consumers. But regulators monitor aftermarket reports for signs of trouble, and in recent years companies have been put under stricter requirements to alert the FDA when they learn of problems.

Katz said it has taken so long to get a handle on the Hydroxycut problem because the cases of liver damage were rare and the FDA has no authority to review supplements before they're marketed. "Part of the problem is that the FDA looks at dietary supplements from a post-market perspective, and an isolated incident is often difficult to follow," she said.

The FDA relies on voluntary reports to detect such problems, and many cases are never reported, officials acknowledge.

Health officials said they have been unable to determine which Hydroxycut ingredients are potentially toxic, partially because the formulation of the products has changed several times. A medical journal report last month raised questions about one ingredient, hydroxycitric acid, derived from a tropical fruit. The article said it could potentially damage the liver.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090501/..._pill_recall_3

Can't win with Ephedra (which is apparently trickling out again), can't win without it. Though I've used both versions and did get results with both (though quit it in favor of well spaced meals with proper fiber/protein). Where will I turn now when I feel like watching myself die while jogging moderately

Last edited by RichC2; 05-01-09 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Hydroxycut? That stuff will kill ya.

What's the one with the creepy looking cryptkeeper lady talking about excess body fat? Lipozene? Hope that's next.
Old 05-01-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is that the one that tells you that you may have greasy, nasty farts and shit your pants without warning?
Old 05-01-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
Is that the one that tells you that you may have greasy, nasty farts and shit your pants without warning?

Olestra?
Old 05-01-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
That's the FDA approved one, Alli -- a whole bag of WOW (sorry, Lay's Light) chips in a single capsule.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-01-09 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 02:58 PM
Admin-Thanos

I tried Hydroxycut back in the late 1990's. I felt like my heart was racing when I took it, so I stopped after about a week or so.
Old 05-01-09, 02:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

wow, this isn't good. i take non-ephedra kind and never had any symptoms. i still have a full bottle. are there specific kinds of HC taken off market that we know which? or are they all not safe?
Old 05-01-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I tried Hydroxycut back in the late 1990's. I felt like my heart was racing when I took it, so I stopped after about a week or so.
That was probably the good stuff. (with ephedra)
Old 05-01-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
wow, this isn't good. i take non-ephedra kind and never had any symptoms. i still have a full bottle. are there specific kinds of HC taken off market that we know which? or are they all not safe?
http://www.hydroxycutinformation.com/

Originally Posted by www.hydroxycutinformation.com

Important Information Regarding
The Recent FDA Consumer Advisory

Friday May 1, 2009 12:30 PM EST

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently released a consumer advisory about certain Hydroxycut-branded products. According to the advisory, the FDA has received 23 reports over more than seven years about consumers having experienced serious liver-related problems coinciding with the time they were taking Hydroxycut-branded products. The advisory states that, “Although the liver damage appears to be relatively rare, FDA believes consumers should not be exposed to unnecessary risk.”

While this is a small number of reports relative to the many millions of people who have used Hydroxycut products over the years, out of an abundance of caution and because consumer safety is our top priority, we are voluntarily recalling these Hydroxycut-branded products.

The information below answers questions consumers may have about the advisory, the recall, and Hydroxycut-branded products.

What is Hydroxycut?

Hydroxycut is the brand name of some of America’s top-selling weight loss products which are taken by millions of consumers each year. Hydroxycut products are made by Iovate Health Sciences, which has over 750 items sold in more than 70 countries around the world.

What steps do you take to ensure the safety of Hydroxycut-branded products?

We conduct internal analyses of individual ingredients, and undertake extensive medical, scientific and toxicological literature reviews on the safety of the ingredients during the development stage of each product. Additionally, third-party experts from the leading independent scientific firm specializing in ingredient assessment, toxicology and product safety for the nutritional and pharmaceutical industry review the safety of Iovate’s ingredients and formulas before products are introduced in the marketplace. Only after this external review is completed does Iovate release a formula.

What is an adverse event?

The term “adverse event” refers to any unexpected or unintended event that happens while an individual is taking a dietary supplement, whether or not the supplement caused the event. Even minor events can be considered adverse if they are unexpected or unintended.

Which products are covered by this advisory?

The following products are covered by the advisory:

* Hydroxycut Regular Rapid Release Caplets
* Hydroxycut Caffeine-Free Rapid Release Caplets
* Hydroxycut Hardcore Liquid Capsules
* Hydroxycut Max Liquid Capsules
* Hydroxycut Regular Drink Packets
* Hydroxycut Caffeine-Free Drink Packets
* Hydroxycut Hardcore Drink Packets (Ignition Stix)
* Hydroxycut Max Drink Packets
* Hydroxycut Liquid Shots
* Hydroxycut Hardcore RTDs (Ready-to-Drink)
* Hydroxycut Max Aqua Shed
* Hydroxycut 24
* Hydroxycut Carb Control
* Hydroxycut Natural

Does the advisory say I should stop taking Hydroxycut-branded products?

Yes. The FDA’s advisory states that, “Consumers who have these products are urged to stop using them.”

What if I want to return my Hydroxycut product. How do I do that?

For product refunds, consumers are directed to return their product directly to the place of purchase.
Old 05-01-09, 03:36 PM

hope GNC will take it back. it is 1/4 used. what are symptoms of liver disease?

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-01-09 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have some, but nothing on that list.

Hmmm...
Old 05-01-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

hope GNC will take it back. it is 1/4 used. what are symptoms of liver disease?
The big one is jaundice (yellowing of the skin/eyes), light colored poop, nose bleeds, easy bruising, death ...

Negative effects seem to be extremely rare/limited and this isn't necessarily an overreaction so much as you can't be sure how every human body reacts to these things.
Old 05-01-09, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
The big one is jaundice (yellowing of the skin/eyes), light colored poop, nose bleeds, easy bruising, death ...

Negative effects seem to be extremely rare/limited and this isn't necessarily an overreaction so much as you can't be sure how every human body reacts to these things.
yeah. i haven't experienced a single reaction, but i guess better safe than sorry. i didn't notice too much of a difference in weight from when i used Lean System 7, but little more pep before workouts. thanks for the info Rich.

now to find a safer alternative...
Old 05-01-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

now to find a safer alternative...

Like willpower?
Old 05-01-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
That's the FDA approved one, Alli -- a whole bag of WOW (sorry, Lay's Light) chips in a single capsule.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3074558AAruZpr
Old 05-01-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

From what I remember about Ephedra, it was a ban of so many days or months and then it came back. I always suspected that people that had problems and died from it were really dosing themselves to stupid levels. On the surface, this one sounds like it isn't a dosing problem, but an ingredient problem.
Old 05-01-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bought two more bottles before it's completely gone. Gotta love the research the FDA did. It's just one way to for the pharms to make their own shit and require YOU to pay for a prescription.

Oh, but you can have as many Big Macs as you want and become a fucking modern day Hindenburg without so much as the FDA even blinking.

And yet ANOTHER case of spreading fear and paranoia to further a cause. This time it's the Pharmaceutical Industry cause.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 05-01-09 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate that "Dr." Jon Marshall douchebag that's in all their ads. Shilling that crap under the guise of being a medical professional is about as unethical as you can get.
Old 05-01-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mopower View Post
Like willpower?
I agree, willpower is part of losing weight, but many of us--including myself--need a metabolic enhancer. After a period of time, you won't need Hydroxycut because your body will already have lost the weight, and your metabolism will have increased over time.

But willpower alone is not going to allow you to lose weight--at least not in the time period many of us want to. Maybe for some of you out there, but with the types of chemicals put in foods--that the FDA approves of by the way such as HFCS--your body finds itself without any chemicals of its own to counteract the very real withdrawal symptoms of not eating HFCS.

This is the successful result of a very powerful pharmaceutical company lobbying the FDA. They've been doing it for years behind closed doors, and want to regulate anything they can't currently sell for 10x as much as a prescription.

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
I hate that "Dr." Jon Marshall douchebag that's in all their ads. Shilling that crap under the guise of being a medical professional is about as unethical as you can get.
I don't disagree with you, but what about the FDA allowing HFCS in foods (and other chemicals we don't even know about) and even embracing "scientists" who claim HFCS is just fine and has no side effects. In the meantime, the US has a shitload of fat asses. We've always had fattening foods in this country. Is it not suspect in the last 20 years our society has got to a point of over 50% obesity, and the FDA just says don't eat so much.

Of the millions of people who take this stuff on a daily basis for weight training, I find it rather hard to believe we don't have a significant amount of cases. The FDA hasn't proven shit, in my opinion, but shit rules if you have the power. Not much the consumer can do except for buy their Hoodia versions and/or other products.

And the FDA says taking this stuff causes...A LOSS OF APPETITE?

JFC. I'm reading the FDA cases and all these people have a previous medical history, which would easily fuck themselves up when taking this stuff.

CASE REPORTS
Case 1
A 40-year-old female with a prior medical history notable only for hypothyroidism and diet-controlled hyperlipidemia presented to the Emergency Department with 3 d of new-onset crampy, mid-epigastric abdominal pain and non-bloody diarrhea. She noted subjective fevers and chills, and two isolated episodes of nausea and vomiting, anorexia and profound fatigue. She did not experience jaundice, icterus, pruritus, arthralgias, acholic stools or dark urine. One week prior to presentation, she began using Hydroxycut, 6 pills daily in preparation for a bodybuilding competition. Just prior to presentation she attended an office holiday party, although no other persons in attendance became ill. She did not smoke or drink. She otherwise does not take regular medications except for levothyroxine. She denied taking any other supplements or alternative medications. She was afebrile with stable vital signs, and normal body mass index. Her exam was notable only for mild mid-epigastric tenderness to palpation. She had no liver enlargement and no stigmata of chronic liver disease. Her laboratory profile on admission revealed an acute hepatitis with AST 1020 U/L and ALT 1150 U/L, total bilirubin 0.67 mg/dL, alkaline phosphatase 299 U/L, INR 0.96, white cell count 5.9 ? 103/mL, hemoglobin 11.9 g/dL, platelet count 228/mL, and creatinine 0.9 mg/dL. Diagnostic evaluation was negative for hepatitis A, B, C, cytomegalovirus and Epstein-Barr virus, autoimmune liver disorders (ANA, ASMA), alpha-1 anti-trypsin deficiency, and ehrlichiosis. On day 2 of admission, her transaminases decreased to AST 399 U/L and ALT 647 U/L. On day 3, she was clinically well and discharged from the hospital. Upon outpatient follow-up, she had returned to her usual state of health with normalization of transaminases with AST 46 U/L and ALT 48 U/L. She has not experienced any further recurrence of symptoms or liver abnormalities within 10 mo of follow-up.

Case 2
A 33-year-old female with a prior medical history of a pituitary adenoma presented to the Emergency Department with 1 mo of new-onset jaundice. She reported a flu-like illness of 2 wk duration with nausea and crampy abdominal pain and began to experience jaundice, acholic stools, dark-colored urine, pruritus, and profound fatigue. These symptoms appeared to be improving during the week prior to admission except for worsening jaundice and fatigue. She noted that during the month prior to admission, she had taken Hydroxcut supplements for 2 wk to help achieve weight loss, but discontinued this medication upon onset of symptoms. She additionally reported eating lobster during the month prior to admission, but could not recall other individuals who became ill. Her only medication was Ortho-Novum contraceptive, which she had been taking for 2.5 years. Her social history was unremarkable without regular alcohol ingestion, and the absence of risk factors for chronic viral hepatitis. She was afebrile with stable vital signs, and normal body mass index. Her exam was notable only for jaundice and scleral icterus. She had no liver enlargement and no stigmata of chronic liver disease. Her laboratory profile at admission was notable for acute hepatitis with AST 934 U/L and ALT 1 570 U/L, total bilirubin 20.9 mg/dL, direct bilirubin 14.2 mg/dL, alkaline phosphatase 112 U/L, INR 1.08, white cell count 9.2 ? 103/mL, hematocrit 42%, platelet count 414/mL, creatinine 0.8 mg/dL. Diagnostic evaluation was negative for hepatitis A, B, C, cytomegalovirus, Epstein-Barr virus, and herpes simplex virus infections. Her autoimmune profile revealed low titer increase in anti-nuclear antibody (ANA) and anti-smooth muscle antibody (ASMA) suggestive of an immune-mediated drug-induced hepatitis. Her jaundice eventually resolved and her liver function normalized.
Once again folks, I say the FDA is merely catering to the Pharms.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 05-01-09 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Bought two more bottles before it's completely gone. Gotta love the research the FDA did. It's just one way to for the pharms to make their own shit and require YOU to pay for a prescription.

Oh, but you can have as many Big Macs as you want and become a fucking modern day Hindenburg without so much as the FDA even blinking.

And yet ANOTHER case of spreading fear and paranoia to further a cause. This time it's the Pharmaceutical Industry cause.
I'm not sure if you're talking about Ephedra or this, but basically Hydroxycut agreed it was a problem and voluntarily pulled it for this current issue. The FDA, as of now, doesn't regulate "herbal supplements" so they have no control on it (there are of course, some exceptions, but those exceptions take time to develop).

That said, with the onslaught of diet pills pending FDA approval, I wouldn't be surprised if you see a bigger push toward controlling "herbal supplements".
Old 05-01-09, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When you see something advertised as "all natural", remember: horseshit is too.
Old 05-01-09, 10:33 PM

for me it has nothing to do with willpower. i don't eat bad at all. no fast food or anything anymore. i eat right and can work out with or without the pills.

once i started taking my 5 mile walks again, everything fell into place. the pills are just an extra energy boost for me. i don't notice drastic effects (like crazy bursts of energy or heart palpitations or anything like that) it kinda just makes me a little less tired throughout a workout.
Old 05-01-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

for me it has nothing to do with willpower. i don't eat bad at all. no fast food or anything anymore. i eat right and can work out with or without the pills.

once i started taking my 5 mile walks again, everything fell into place. the pills are just an extra energy boost for me. i don't notice drastic effects (like crazy bursts of energy or heart palpitations or anything like that) it kinda just makes me a little less tired throughout a workout.
http://ineed.headshotenergyshot.com though that is 90 calories a pop.
Old 05-01-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Same here. I used to rely on Hydroxycut to start, but now, it's just an added bonus and extends my workout routine.
Old 05-01-09, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
When you see something advertised as "all natural", remember: horseshit is too.
And if I decided to sell horse shit, the pharms would want to produce it themselves instead...you know...they need tens of millions of research dollars to find out it really is horse shit...lobbying the FDA and so forth.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.