Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Mint.com: Safe?

Old 05-01-09, 06:13 AM

Mint.com: Safe?

So, who uses mint.com to track their finances? I already use Quicken, but tracking everything online is certainly appealing.

The question is should I be worried about giving all my financial information to this website? I'm normally not the type to worry about submitting information online, but this seems like something to be extra cautious about. Any horror stories out there or anything that should give me pause?
Old 05-01-09, 06:23 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Mint.com: Safe?

I use it, and like the ability to get automatic updates and online access in one place. There is always risk, but I don't think it's any worse than other types of fraud.
Old 05-01-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A simple excel spreadsheet works great for me. I am still amazed by some of the functions you can utilize.
Old 05-01-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i use it and haven't had any issues yet
Old 05-01-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I use it too and they take security pretty seriously. However, like everything else, if someone really wants it, they are going to get it. But for now, they are safe.
Old 05-01-09, 12:58 PM

I joined and liked it at first, but got frustrated that none of my bank accounts could get set up. So it would only update my credit card spending. I stopped using it. This was a few months ago, not sure if they have improved any of the bank account setups. I thought it was weird that all 3 bank accounts I tried to set up didn't work, even though my online access works fine.
Old 05-01-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
I joined and liked it at first, but got frustrated that none of my bank accounts could get set up. So it would only update my credit card spending. I stopped using it. This was a few months ago, not sure if they have improved any of the bank account setups. I thought it was weird that all 3 bank accounts I tried to set up didn't work, even though my online access works fine.
I can't get it to log into my bank account either. It keeps asking for 5 security questions even though I only have two set up with my bank. I put those in and it still says log in error. Logging into the bank's site works fine.
Old 05-01-09, 02:56 PM

I haven't used mint.com myself, but if anybody has Bank of America they have a MyPortfolio feature in the Online Banking that culls all of your account information at all of your banks so that you can see the whole picture in one place. If you're having trouble with mint.com, it's an alternative.
Old 05-02-09, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mint.com is actually paid for by a few banks (like ING). You can see all of their advertisements in the sections where it tells you how to save on your credit.

I've been using the site for months and have had no issues.
Old 05-02-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
I use it too and they take security pretty seriously. However, like everything else, if someone really wants it, they are going to get it. But for now, they are safe.
Yeah, that's why bank websites don't get successfully hacked. Because people just don't want it enough.
Old 05-02-09, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls View Post
Yeah, that's why bank websites don't get successfully hacked. Because people just don't want it enough.
Old 05-03-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Until Mint adds manual transactions so you can input things like checks you've written but haven't cleared, it's not as useful as Quicken. I've heard good things about Quicken Online, though, but I think there is a charge.
Old 05-03-09, 10:43 AM

I use Microsoft Money. Anybody switch to this from that program, and if so, why?
Old 10-02-10, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I use Microsoft Money. Anybody switch to this from that program, and if so, why?
Isn't Microsoft Money discontinued now? I've used Money since I graduated from college back in '02...

Just signed up for Mint.com. People still use it? Do you enjoy it, and is it helpful for helping you cut down your debt?
Old 10-02-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like it and enjoy it..it really helps me keep track of where I am spending, I can set budget limits, and will get notices when I exceeded budget..or if I am charged a fee.
Old 10-03-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just signed up, and have liked the site quite a bit. I've always spent less than I made, but I think it will be nice to see exactly where my money is going. The customization is very helpful.
Old 10-03-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Isn't Microsoft Money discontinued now? I've used Money since I graduated from college back in '02...

Just signed up for Mint.com. People still use it? Do you enjoy it, and is it helpful for helping you cut down your debt?
Yeah I have used money since 1996, I was very disappointed when they discontinued the software; I'm still using the latest version and will for some time until I can no longer manually update my accounts.
Old 10-03-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I tried Mint. I prefer an Excel spreadsheet.
Old 10-04-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used Mint for awhile and it was okay, but I quit using it when they rolled out an iPhone app but no general mobile version of their site. They've apparently added an Android app to their offerings but still no Blackberry app and no mobile site. They keep sending me emails telling me I need to login soon or my account will be deleted; I wish they would just go ahead and delete it already.
Old 10-04-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mint.com is partially owned by the Chechnyan mafia and Goldman Sachs, who want to convert the world to Ameros and/or cause a collapse in Russian oil and soybean futures.

In other words, it's completely trustworthy.
Old 10-05-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Mint.com is partially owned by the Chechnyan mafia and Goldman Sachs, who want to convert the world to Ameros and/or cause a collapse in Russian oil and soybean futures.

In other words, it's completely trustworthy.
Wow, Intuit is really getting into new markets.