Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

A friend is moving to the greater Atlanta area...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-29-09, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

...and needs some advice.

A friend of mine is moving to the greater Atlanta area. I know there's a lot of ATL otters here, so let's hear some advice. He's relocating from NC and his job will be in Marietta. He's a young guy (mid-20's, no family, likes to go out on weekends & meet women) and would like to live somewhere reasonably happening, preferably in the city. But he's trying to keep his rent low (in the triple digits).

Any suggestions?
Old 04-30-09, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: A friend is moving to the greater Atlanta area...

vinings area
Old 04-30-09, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In the Vinings area could work, especially in some of the apartments back behind the Overlook. I wonder though if traffic would be a bitch in terms of getting to work. I guess it just depends on where in Marietta the work is.

I would personally suggest the Decatur/Little 5 Points area (because that's where I'm from). You can rent a whole house for under 1000. Great access to some great bars, great cultural stuff, young post-college crowds, etc.

But a big deciding factor is... what kind of women does he like? That right there can dictate where he lives. Everyone in Atlanta is used to heavy traffic for work, so if that's an inevitable he should live in the area that fits his personality. (Vinings, Decatur, Midtown could all fit the bill, but each have different crowds.)
Old 04-30-09, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Decatur would be a BIG no-no if he was a job in Marietta. Closer to Little 5 could work since he'd be going against rush traffic, but it's still a bit of a drive. Vinings is good advice, but real estate there can be a bit pricey. I actually owned a condo near 75 and Windy Hill road (Smyrna) for 6 years and while it's not a party area it's a quick drive to Buckhead/Midtown/Downtown. And only miles from Marietta. Anything with close access to I-75 all the way to downtown would not be a bad place to live.

One other fantastic thing about 75/Windy Hill is the closeness to the Cochran Shoals jogging trails. If your friend likes to run this is some of the best stuff in the whole city. Right next to the river with a 3-mile flat trail or go off into the woods for longer runs. You don't even feel like you are in a major metropolitan area. There are also trails in the Akers Mill area. All this is a very short drive near 285. I moved to the Decatur area years ago and miss these trails very much.
Old 04-30-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

does he works for GE?

Is he black, white, latino, asian?
Old 04-30-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Vinings is close to Marietta and is growing a lot.

Buckhead is a nice area (where I live). It isn't too bad from Marietta especially depending on what part of Buckhead he's in.

Decatur is nice but would be far from Marietta. Little five would be as well and is more the eclectic crowd.

What kidn of stuff is your friend into?
Old 04-30-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My family used to have a place right off WPF going into Buckhead. I LOVE that area.

Get near Buckhead if he can it's really cool.
Old 04-30-09, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
My family used to have a place right off WPF going into Buckhead. I LOVE that area.
You should really try to speak more clearly because you're making a big assumption that people who do not live in Atlanta know what a "WPF" is. (WPF = West Paces Ferry)

On the original posting, as a resident of Atlanta, I actually recommend that your friend live near his job for the first 6 months to a year. Then, once he's had that time to learn the city, he can move to an area more to his liking if he wants.
Old 05-04-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Decatur would be a BIG no-no if he was a job in Marietta. Closer to Little 5 could work since he'd be going against rush traffic, but it's still a bit of a drive.
When I was in high school, I commuted from Decatur to Town Center and it was maybe a 30 minute drive. But also where I lived it was relatively quick to get to Freedom Parkway and I was always driving against traffic. That's why I thought it was doable. And if The Bus' friend isn't into Vinings kind of girls but rather Decatur/L5P kind of girls then to me it would be worth it. That's why I asked about the kind of women he liked.

However, Buckhead has some really cheap options right now since they destroyed all those blocks for that construction and have since canceled that renovation project. In fact, if the guy is looking to buy a really nice apartment or rent one in Buckhead, I know someone who's looking to sell/rent.
Old 05-04-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard View Post
When I was in high school, I commuted from Decatur to Town Center and it was maybe a 30 minute drive. But also where I lived it was relatively quick to get to Freedom Parkway and I was always driving against traffic. That's why I thought it was doable. And if The Bus' friend isn't into Vinings kind of girls but rather Decatur/L5P kind of girls then to me it would be worth it. That's why I asked about the kind of women he liked.

However, Buckhead has some really cheap options right now since they destroyed all those blocks for that construction and have since canceled that renovation project. In fact, if the guy is looking to buy a really nice apartment or rent one in Buckhead, I know someone who's looking to sell/rent.
No matter what you do, the commute is going to be a pain. Some commutes, obviously, are better than others... but, IMO, it's far better to find a place you really want to live in Atlanta because you can't escape the gridlock. I used to live in Decatur/North Druid Hills area (right down the street from the Tara Theater and Club 112) and had a reverse commute and it was still a bitch.

I'd suggest the Vinings/Highlands area. The d-bag ratio was far less in these areas than Buckhead (at least when I lived there). There were some great bars and restaurants here too. I also used to work in Buckhead and I definitely didn't want to live there.
Old 05-04-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've heard that the Black Strip Clubs in Atlanta are really good.
Old 05-04-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't?