Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Credit Card Dispute help

Old 04-28-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Credit Card Dispute help

I have a prefect credit record that is being tarnished by the jerk wads at Amazon Chase

I have an Amazon Chase card just to store on the Amazon site and make purchasing quicker. Since I dont often buy, I dont often have a balance so I dont often recieve a bill.

A few months ago I remember calling when the card was declined, finding out my balance and paying it off, maybe this happened twice.

Last week I recieved a phone call from them stating that I was months past due...apparently they have on record that my account was signed up for paperless billing (something I would NEVER do) so I was carrying balances and getting hit with late fees

I had most of the late fees overturned and I payed my balance while on the phone with the CSR, they canceled the paperless billing

NOW, the problem is they reported 3 instances of me being 30 days past due to the credit reporting agencies and all my other cards are jacking up my rates. In addition, I was looking to go the mortgage route within the year and now this sticks out like a sore thumb on the report. EVERYTHING else for the last 7 years on Transunions report is perfect.

Every CSR I talk to, and thier mamangers say that there is NOTHING they can do as far as the credit reporting, being that I technically was past due and they believe that thier system for paperless billing is infallable.

What can I do here, I write letters to the complaint departments and get a big fat nothing back. I would hate to get screwed by this, but I dont believe I have a way of even challanging this to the credit reporting agencies, as thier investigation would just come back with Chase saying that they reported correctly.

What are my options here...if this will cost me many thousands of dollars in the long run Im open to anything
Old 04-28-09, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Credit Card Dispute help

You don't keep track of what you charge?
Old 04-28-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

For the amazon card I believe that during the HEIGHT of all this, my balance was less than $50

Not something major enough that I was scratching my head wondering where the bill was
Old 04-28-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez View Post
For the amazon card I believe that during the HEIGHT of all this, my balance was less than $50

Not something major enough that I was scratching my head wondering where the bill was
Sorry, I didn't mean to be "that guy" but my point was that it was technically late so you're going to have an almost impossible time getting those missed pays off of your credit report.
Old 04-28-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This won't bring about the satisfaction you're looking for, but it seems like I recall years ago hearing that consumers had the ability to leave a statement on their credit report. This would give you an opportunity to briefly explain the rare mark against your credit. Again, this doesn't fix things and maybe I'm off base in telling you this is an option, but it may be something...
Old 04-28-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Both companies I have worked for had similar canned responses for the CSRs (sorry we can't help you)...but let me tell you, as soon as someone made a complaint with the BBB or state AG, the company's escalation group was in touch with that subscriber and did whatever it took to smooth things over. That's the route I would take...
Old 04-28-09, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^i heard about that too. that's something you should definitely do.

unfortunately, you were late on your bill. even if you do not receive a paper bill, you still have to pay it. and, say that you did get a paper bill, but for some reason, it got lost in the mail for a few months...you would still be responsible for that. still, i would try like JMLEWIS1 mentioned, to report it to BBB or what not.

doesn't help you now, but what i do is i set all my utilities on auto-pay from my checking account. all credit cards i have, i check once a week, regardless of whether or not i get a bill. if you are in the habit of not checking your bills at least bi-monthly, and it's not something that you charge much on, then i'd suggest you set up auto-pay, assuming you have enough to cover it in your checking account. you can still dispute the charge later, should there be an issue.
Old 04-29-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounds like you've been late with payments at least 3 times. I would put the blame on you - not amazon. I would think the first time you called in to pay late you would either make sure it didn't happen again or use a credit card that you do pay on time.
Old 04-29-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try disputing it on your credit report. If Chase doesn't respond to the investigation in 30 days, it falls off.
Old 04-29-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by JMLEWIS1 View Post
Both companies I have worked for had similar canned responses for the CSRs (sorry we can't help you)...but let me tell you, as soon as someone made a complaint with the BBB or state AG, the company's escalation group was in touch with that subscriber and did whatever it took to smooth things over. That's the route I would take...
This is the absolute way to go. The last thing these guys want is BBB on their ass...because it takes them FOREVER to get them off. Usually you can just pose the threat and it will get things done...worked for me in the past.

Also, file a complaint with all three credit reporting agencies. It may not get them removed, but file a complaint anyways. I had an issue with Sprint years ago and filed a complaint with all three and it was taken care of.

Lastly, paper work does work in your favor...the more the better. Also remember you can request statements (they might charge you, but they will or is it have to give them to you).

Hope that helps.
Old 04-29-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by badlieut View Post
Try disputing it on your credit report. If Chase doesn't respond to the investigation in 30 days, it falls off.
As mentioned above, I would work both sides of the issue. The first side with the better business bureau and the second side with the credit reporitng agencies.

If you look on the net there are sites that have form letters already written in the correct language for you to add your information into and send to the bureaus to remove the bad reports. If they don't get a reply from the credit card then they have to remove it by default after 30 days. If the credit card company does reply though I think your screwed since as mentioned earlier, it doesn't matter you didn't get the statements, you were late.

Just an FYI: This kinda just happened to me, I wasn't late, but my mortgage company automatically stops sending statements through the mail if you pay online more than 3 times. They didn't send me a notice or anything, I just realized that the statement hadn't showed up and continued paying online, but I called them the other day and got the explanation and they changed it back to me getting my statements.
Old 04-29-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a prefect credit record that is being tarnished by the jerk wads at Amazon Chase

I have an Amazon Chase card just to store on the Amazon site and make purchasing quicker. Since I dont often buy, I dont often have a balance so I dont often recieve a bill.

A few months ago I remember calling when the card was declined, finding out my balance and paying it off, maybe this happened twice.
Something doesn't add up here. You claim a balance of never more than $50, but twice you had charges declined? Because you hadn't paid your bill, I'm guessing? And the first time didn't tip you off to some problem, nor did the second?

Sorry, but I think you need to take some personal responsibility and not act so innocent. It's a card you use only for amazon, so you say, and you didn't pay some bills on it, which means you ordered from Amazon. You certainly should have known that you did and that you would have a bill, yet you say that twice you were declined using it for non-payment of a previous bill (one you should have known about because you ordered from Amazon!), yet that still didn't clue you in to time #3?
Old 04-29-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't get it... What are the credit reporting agencies doing wrong, and what is your beef with Amazon Chase? You didn't pay your bill, at least twice, more likely 3 times, so they reported it as such.

Even more puzzling is why the BBB would have anything to do with this. Neither of these companies have done anything wrong. I'm not doubting that you forgot to pay, but imagine how many times they hear the same kind of thing from people that just don't have the money to pay, or don't want to pay.
Old 04-29-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My beef is with their claim that I signed up for e-billing, which I never did.

And the story not adding up, as far as I can piece together the card must have been declined for late payment, I sent off some payment just to keep current, always expecting that if I had a balance I would get a bill.

The 3 instances come from there being a late charge that sat on the card until another 30 days ran off. All of these instances come from maybe one purchase. The final case would be where they called and the issue was corrected.

The bottom line is that the Min payment for all these months was $10-$15

It defy s logic to think that I couldn't part with $10 and it had nothing to do with an error in how they billed me. Hell, Ill take the late charges that they relieved me BACK if they would just correct the credit.

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 04-29-09 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-29-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As someone said earlier though, if the statement was lost in the mail would you think that you weren't responsible for paying it?
Old 04-29-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

you screwed up, you suffer the consequences. sorry, it sucks, but keep better track of your finances.
Old 04-29-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is why I sign up for automatic payments. The CC company will automaticallypay the minimum every month
Old 04-29-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It doesn't appear that you dispute the fact that you were late on your payments. Also, as others have pointed out, not receiving a statement in the mail (for whatever reason) does not absolve you from the responsibility of paying your debt. The fact that you made three late payments and never took the effort to identify the issue and correct it indicates that you are a person who doesn't keep good track of your debts and may be a credit risk. This seems like a situation where the system is working as intended.
Old 04-29-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Mastercard that I store on the Amazon site. My purchases go through pretty damn quick. I don't know why you think you needed an amazon card to make quick purchases.
Old 04-29-09, 09:27 PM

You screwed up by not paying attention to your finances. You should be elated that you even got the late fees reversed. Pay it, and move forward as a learning mistake.

Don't you look at your stuff online? Also, if everything else on your credit is immaculate as you state; then you shouldn't have a problem when you look to purchase a home in a year. By then your score will recover as long as you don't screw up again.
Old 04-30-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tbone View Post
By then your score will recover as long as you don't screw up again.
I think the bigger problem then the score is his rates on his other cards going up because of the missed pays.
Old 05-21-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would just like to thank JMLEWIS1 for his help.

After a 5 minute form on the BBB website I just received a letter today stating that Chase has written to the agencies reversing my account to NEVER LATE status.

Otter Forum wins again
Old 05-21-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would just like to thank JMLEWIS1 for his help.
wait...I always thought JMLEWIS1 was a girl.
Old 05-21-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

that's too bad, because you were clearly in the wrong.
Old 05-21-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
that's too bad, because you were clearly in the wrong.
Yup

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.