Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I hate inspirational speakers

Old 04-24-09, 09:15 PM

I hate inspirational speakers

So we had an event a couple of days ago with an "inspirational speaker". As is often times the case with such folk the core of her take on things was that we had to have a positive attitude, and think "positive thoughts". As an example, she had one young lady leave the room and then told us that when she came back she was going to have her hold out her arm and the speaker was going to push down on the arm and see how far she could force it to move. When she said "phase one" we all had to stare at the girl and think negative, hateful thoughts, when she said "phase two" we all had to think positive, loving thoughts. Not surprisingly she was able to push the arm down more during "phase one" than she could during "phase two".

Over the years I've managed to develop enough self control not to break down laughing, the most it got out of me was a . The bad thing was that at least half the group, including our vice president, was going like this was the greatest thing they ever saw.

The truly ironic thing is that this speaker, instead of uplifting me, has now given me a truly lower opinion of my colleagues, managers, and really humanity as a whole.
Old 04-24-09, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: I hate inspirational speakers

Most suck on the level of David Brent, some are good at it. We had some woman speak at our company who climbed to the top of Everest, and had an amazing slideshow. Pretty motivating.
Old 04-24-09, 10:17 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some of them are good, but I agree that many sell success formulas based on their own stories, and the only successes they have is telling other people how to succeed.
Old 04-24-09, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah that was a modified muscle test aka complete fraud.
Old 04-25-09, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did he talk about living in a van down by the river?
Old 04-25-09, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I notice that the volunteer from the audience was a girl from the office, and not a 6'4" delivery driver.
Old 04-25-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rabbit77 View Post
Most suck on the level of David Brent, some are good at it. We had some woman speak at our company who climbed to the top of Everest, and had an amazing slideshow. Pretty motivating.

Alison Levine's Daredevil Strategies! (She was good, she was at one of my events)
Old 04-25-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Back in the early 90's a colleague of mine talked me into going to one of these things. I agreed to go because for 36 hours at a cost of $90 you got a room at a great hotel, 18 holes of golf, 3 meals, and an OPEN BAR!!
The negative was you had to sit through an hour long motivational speech.

So who comes out on stage to give the speech? Terry Bradshaw! His speach was awesome. I've never seen anyone with so much energy in my life. I feel he must have snorted a lot of something. No human being has that kind of energy.

Did I get anything out of the speech? No.
Old 04-25-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't stand them. The worst are motivational speakers related to your work.
Old 04-25-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They motivate me... to sleep...
Old 04-25-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We had a Leadership speaker come to our Dept this week. His presentation was nothing more than buzzwords, catch phrases, and spurious percentages. I was amazed at the folks nodding their heads to everything he said.
Old 04-25-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I used to work for an Arizona based company and the President/CEO had an epiphany every 6 months or so because he had stumbled upon some new motivational book. Then we'd all receive a memo that our company "mission statement" had changed and he'd call a meeting to enlighten us about the unlimited potential of positive thinking or some other popular pop psycho nonsense. Thank god I work from home and I didn't have to sit in some room listening to that crap. I just called the conf line, put my phone on speaker and did other stuff. The snag was that after everyone of these enlightening meetings he expected everyone to provide feedback via e-mail. No biggy, he always gave us the book title/author and strongly encouraged us to read it so I'd go on Amazon, read reviews and wing it.
Old 04-25-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Andrew WK has been doing motivational speaking. Same thing for Henry Rollins. I'd like to see that.
Old 04-25-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth View Post
Andrew WK has been doing motivational speaking. Same thing for Henry Rollins. I'd like to see that.
They would be entertaining.
Old 04-25-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rabbit77 View Post
That episode of the Office always bugged me because the other speaker's spiels were just as inane as David Brent's.