Old 04-24-09, 05:22 PM
Suspended

Bullied kid kills self

I feel really bad

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/23/bul...ide/index.html
Old 04-24-09, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Bullied kid kills self

Damn, that really does suck. I had planned to make a joke, but this really sucks.
Old 04-24-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Damn, that really does suck. I had planned to make a joke, but this really sucks.
It does suck. Kids are mean, the only thing meaner is a kid with an ak47.
Old 04-24-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

fuck.....
Old 04-24-09, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ummm... I dunno. There wasn't a note. Maybe it was an auto-erotic accident. Possible.
Old 04-24-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I that he committed suicide by hitting himself to death.

Old 04-24-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least he didn't shoot the school up. I'm just saying...
Old 04-24-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Poor kid. Poor family.

Typically clueless school administrators.

Old 04-24-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If everyone who was called a virgin decided they'd had enough and killed themselves these boards would be a ghost town.
Old 04-24-09, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, as long as many religious leaders and right-wing fanatics keep telling the world that gay people are not same as as everyone else, these tragedies will continue to happen.
Old 04-25-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
Well, as long as many religious leaders and right-wing fanatics keep telling the world that gay people are not same as as everyone else, these tragedies will continue to happen.
I somehow doubt that the kids in his school watch Fox news. The simple fact is kids latch on to "different", whatever that may be. Very sad.
Old 04-25-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Things kids will tease other kids about: tall, short, fat, skinny, freckled, gay, virgin, slut, big boobs, flat chest, acne, braces, nerd, smart, stupid, big nose, ugly, pretty, funny clothes, runny nose, hair color, eye color, jock, wimp, reads books, no driver's license, Mom's ugly, Mom's sexy, Dad's job, Mom's job, shy,.....(ten more inches of text)...just someone they feel like teasing today.
Old 04-25-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a really bad feeling that we're going to see more and more of this.

Not just because of intolerance, not just because of bullying, but partially because as the years go by we're raising children with thinner and thinner skin. I'm not blaming this poor kid or others like him, if anything it falls more on the head of parents and this growing PC society. I'm not even saying any of this applies to this horrible situation, no one knows, but I do see it happening more in the future.
Old 04-25-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was teased when I was a kid. I was even called QUEER.

But I didn't hang myself.

@ marty888.

Brent L beat me to it. It has to do with having a supreme sense of self, and being able to KNOW you're just fine. You don't have to fight back. I rarely did. And when kids see you're tough inside, they back off. It's tough initially, but if you don't give them any signs of weakness, they don't bother you.

So, it's not about dancing with a few thousand gay men and lesbians in the streets, holding signs and singing Elton John songs...like this is going to convince society as a whole to accept gay people. But anyway, it's not about the Anti-Gay crowd nor the Gay Crowd. It's about YOU. It's about growing a thicker skin. You show weakness, and like any primal animal, you will be harassed. In the animal world, you're harassed until you die. In this case, it was exactly the same. The predators were harassing this kid until he physically buckled and killed himself. It's unfortunate, but no special interest group or minority group or majority group is going to help this kind of situation.

Eliza Byard, executive director of the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, says to be effective, awareness programs need to include education about the harm that can be done by teasing someone about sexuality or perceived sexuality.

"Anti-gay language is really the ultimate weapon for a bully who wants to degrade his or her peers," she says. "And any effective response to bullying has to take that on."

Anti-gay language is the ultimate weapon? Really.

And Eliza Byard is a political opportunist or just a fucking dumbass. Probably both. This has NOTHING to do with sexuality. NOTHING to do with GAY PEOPLE. It has EVERYTHING to do with the person who's being verbally assaulted, and giving that person the self-esteem tools to block the insults. For some reason, this kid didn't have them or didn't know how to use them. Because hundreds of thousands of kids every single day get called gay, on a daily basis, and don't hang themselves.

Eliza needs to get off her Gay Podium. It's people like her who actually HELP bullies realize they do have a considerable amount of power and enable these bullies to prey on this. Eliza is typical of a person who is very naive of people outside her special group and only has one mission: to further her political agenda. Using a kid's death to further her own political agenda is rather pathetic.

But we see this every day. If a kid OD's on alcohol...it's society's fault alcohol is sold in stores and of course, all alcohol should be banned immediately. If a kid trips on a sidewalk...the shoe company is blamed for faulty product. And the city makes a goddamn memorial on the exact location of the incident so they appear sympathetic. If a kid brings a gun to school...you got it...all guns should be banned. And if a kid is called gay at school and on the rare instance the kid kills himself...you got it...it's the Anti-Gay People who are now the villians and must be called out for their injustice to the Gay minority.

Hell, I'm surprised we don't have somebody blaming the company who made the belt. After all, the belt should have broke. We need anti-suicide belts in the US. All regular belts should be banned from now on.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-25-09 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-25-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

An eleven year old across the street from me hung himself a few months ago after being bullied at school. He was a little off, like this kid was. Normal 11 year olds don't kill themselves.

That being said, the school obviously didn't properly address the bullying (in either case). I like how the Georgia studen't school said the school "works diligently to provide a safe and nurturing environment for all students." Nice sound bite, but obviously not true.

Last edited by Heat; 04-25-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-25-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

How many suicides in the past five years at this school, I wonder.

You can't save everyone. I remember when a suicide happened at my school, we weren't blaming the school admins or teachers. We were talking about how stupid the person was who did it, and how they negatively influenced their circle of friends, and left their family in horrible grief.

Interesting how times have changed, and we blame everybody else but the dumbass who does the action.
Old 04-25-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

@ marty888.

Brent L beat me to it. It has to do with having a supreme sense of self, and being able to KNOW you're just fine. You don't have to fight back. I rarely did. And when kids see you're tough inside, they back off. It's tough initially, but if you don't give them any signs of weakness, they don't bother you.

So, it's not about dancing with a few thousand gay men and lesbians in the streets, holding signs and singing Elton John songs...like this is going to convince society as a whole to accept gay people. But anyway, it's not about the Anti-Gay crowd nor the Gay Crowd. It's about YOU. It's about growing a thicker skin. You show weakness, and like any primal animal, you will be harassed. In the animal world, you're harassed until you die. In this case, it was exactly the same. The predators were harassing this kid until he physically buckled and killed himself. It's unfortunate, but no special interest group or minority group or majority group is going to help this kind of situation.
Civility has been on a decline since the 60's at a continuously increasing rate. For example, "shock" radio of 30+ years ago would be considered mild and boring by today's standards. The "Morton Downey Jr. Show" was considered so offensive that there were protests to get it taken off the air. Today, that stuff is regular fare on MSNBC and FoxNews.

I'm not one of those who thinks that violent video games create mass murderers but the totality of all the media we ingest has an effect (on some more than others). Society has grown colder and more uncaring.

Eliza Byard, executive director of the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, says to be effective, awareness programs need to include education about the harm that can be done by teasing someone about sexuality or perceived sexuality.

"Anti-gay language is really the ultimate weapon for a bully who wants to degrade his or her peers," she says. "And any effective response to bullying has to take that on."

Anti-gay language is the ultimate weapon? Really.

And Eliza Byard is a political opportunist or just a fucking dumbass. Probably both. This has NOTHING to do with sexuality. NOTHING to do with GAY PEOPLE. It has EVERYTHING to do with the person who's being verbally assaulted, and giving that person the self-esteem tools to block the insults. For some reason, this kid didn't have them or didn't know how to use them. Because hundreds of thousands of kids every single day get called gay, on a daily basis, and don't hang themselves.

Eliza needs to get off her Gay Podium. It's people like her who actually HELP bullies realize they do have a considerable amount of power and enable these bullies to prey on this. Eliza is typical of a person who is very naive of people outside her special group and only has one mission: to further her political agenda. Using a kid's death to further her own political agenda is rather pathetic.
Exactly.

But we see this every day. If a kid OD's on alcohol...it's society's fault alcohol is sold in stores and of course, all alcohol should be banned immediately. If a kid trips on a sidewalk...the shoe company is blamed for faulty product. And the city makes a goddamn memorial on the exact location of the incident so they appear sympathetic. If a kid brings a gun to school...you got it...all guns should be banned. And if a kid is called gay at school and on the rare instance the kid kills himself...you got it...it's the Anti-Gay People who are now the villians and must be called out for their injustice to the Gay minority.

Hell, I'm surprised we don't have somebody blaming the company who made the belt. After all, the belt should have broke. We need anti-suicide belts in the US. All regular belts should be banned from now on.
Excellent observations. Unfortunately there are very few who recognize the root cause and even fewer who are willing to accept the answer.
Old 04-25-09, 11:56 AM
Suspended

You gotta keep in mind that at eleven a child has a very limited world. School and home mostly. They don't know that shit gets better once they get older.
Old 04-25-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember kids called each other, including me "***" all the time in elementary school...had nothing to do with sexuality. I think what I heard the most was "four eyes", my response was usually "four eyes are better than two!"

Come to think of it, I really should have been made fun of for my neon shoe laces...

Edit: oh what, so it's an off-limits word here? Please...
Old 04-25-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shit, if all it took for me to kill myself was for someone to call me a [email protected] then I'd have been dead within the first 2 minutes I played Xbox online.
Old 04-25-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs View Post
You gotta keep in mind that at eleven a child has a very limited world. School and home mostly. They don't know that shit gets better once they get older.
How old? I am still waiting...
Old 04-25-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shhh! Don't give the lawyers ideas!
Old 04-25-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that part of dealing with bullying and teasing is keeping your self esteem up.

Just how do you do that?

Children need help from their parents to learn to respect themselves. If all they get from the adults in their lives is useless platitudes, they are going to have a very hard time coping.

I finally persuaded some girls who liked to tease me to leave me alone by being disgusted with them. I tried "just ignoring them", like my Mom said, but that hurt, and they didn't stop. My stoicism just seemed to egg them on. I finally turned to the ringleader and said, "You do know you're being rude, don't you?" She said something like, "Are you so stupid you don't know I'm being rude?" and I replied, with a little shudder "I was just checking. I would hate to think you wanted to be my friend."

It worked.

And, for those who don't remember being a kid, or never got called names,* it doesn't matter whether or not you really are what you are being called. The name-calling itself is hurtful.

*I don't believe you.
Old 04-25-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everyone saying the school didn't address it? WTH?

The mother had her head up her ass, and didn't take her son trying to communicate with her seriously.

Many stupid adults don't treat children like individuals, little people, in many respects.

Reminds of the other high profile case just a week or so ago where the 12 year old boy was a bit of a sissy, and he was being ridden hard at school. He had told his mother many times, you can just imagine the dullard blowing it off with "you just tell them sticks and stones" or some stupid shit. She was blaming the school too, for her not listening to and taking her son seriously.

So the kid HAS to go to school they are made to, they can't cope with the bullies who see it's getting to them and ratchet it up, and they have a moron parent who won't help or listen to them. They choose the only thing they have power over.

Bugs me.
Old 04-25-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's an excellent book called The Manipulative Child. The author talks about all the false self esteem that kids are being raised with these days. We're supposed to tell kids how great they are all the time and never let them "lose". (Little League games without losers for instance)

Kids have to learn failure/insults and how to deal with it, but many parents these days insulate their kids from it. They're fine til they get to adolescence (middle school or so). Then, when mom & dad can't shelter them anymore they get into drugs or worse (like this poor kid).

I think REAL self esteem comes from trying things and doing them until success. Little ways help even. Kids have to learn to expand their comfort zone and learn that they can handle it, and even like it!

My brother's best friend is the one who used to call me mosquitobites. When I whined to my mom about it, she replied "well just call him pencil dick." I think I was like 10. WTG mom!

Last edited by mosquitobite; 04-25-09 at 04:09 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.