Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Home Safe Recommendations?

Old 04-22-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Home Safe Recommendations?

I'm looking for a smallish home safe to keep a few valuables in. Right now that would be things like my passport, birth certificate, SS card, car title, etc. though in the future may include some bulkier but still small items (thinking about purchasing a handgun in the future).

I've looked at the SentrySafes that Wal-Mart sells. I like the size of the chest boxes, but they all use keys. I'd rather have something with a combination lock so I don't have to worry about losing they key and suddenly not being able to get to my stuff! They have some smaller shelf safes with electronic or tumbler locks, but they're a bit more expensive, especially with features like fire and water protection, which is something I think it would be good to have.
Old 04-22-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Home Safe Recommendations?

there is some safe they had on Law and Order SVU that only 3 people in the world can open
Old 04-22-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sentry seems to be the most popular I think. I know that the office supply stores usually have the most selection for these things. I didn't realize they made them for water damage now, I thought they only had fire damage. We have never kept anything extremely valuable in ours (would put it in a safe deposit box then), but use ours mainly for the fire/loss protection for backup HD's with photos on them, passports, birth certificates, deeds, etc.

If you get a combo one make sure you register it with the company. That way if you ever loose or forget the combination you can call them and they can send it to you (since you registered it, they are able to verify it is you).
Old 04-22-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
there is some safe they had on Law and Order SVU that only 3 people in the world can open
Unless bdshort was one of them, that would be kind of pointless.
Old 04-22-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
I've looked at the SentrySafes that Wal-Mart sells. I like the size of the chest boxes, but they all use keys. I'd rather have something with a combination lock so I don't have to worry about losing they key and suddenly not being able to get to my stuff!
Just don't lock it; that's what I do. For a safe that small, any thief/burglar would just take the whole thing anyway.
Old 04-22-09, 07:18 PM

Hmmm, good point!
Old 04-22-09, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Duran View Post
Just don't lock it; that's what I do. For a safe that small, any thief/burglar would just take the whole thing anyway.
Not likely. Most don't want to hassle with dealing with something so bulky. they'll take your jewelry and electronics before they bother with a safe.
Old 04-22-09, 07:30 PM

I think he may have been referring to the small chest safes with the key lock. If I was a thief I might take one of those, but definitely wouldn't bother with any of the bigger ones. They're pretty heavy even if one person could handle them.
Old 04-22-09, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
I think he may have been referring to the small chest safes with the key lock. If I was a thief I might take one of those, but definitely wouldn't bother with any of the bigger ones. They're pretty heavy even if one person could handle them.
Maybe so. If you get anything that weighs over a hundred pounds (I have a Sentry one that's fire rated for 2.5 hours and weighs about 175 pounds), there is no way they are going to bother.
Old 04-23-09, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Maybe so. If you get anything that weighs over a hundred pounds (I have a Sentry one that's fire rated for 2.5 hours and weighs about 175 pounds), there is no way they are going to bother.
Most of the good small safes have a way that you can bolt them down as well. WRT electronic combos though make sure the battery compartment is accessible from the outside Also check it occasionally to make sure the batteries are still charged.
Old 04-23-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw a pretty neat idea in a "handyman" magazine I get. It is to make a safe disguised as a wall vent (the air intake vents). Basically you would cut a hole in your wall, put a 2x4 about eight inches or so down to keep your stuff from going anywhere, then put the vent on the outside so that it matches every other vent in your house.

Obviously this fake vent can't be too close to a real vent.
Old 04-23-09, 09:36 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I keep a locked empty safe in the closet with the closet doors open, so thieves can be occupied with that. Money is kept under the mattress.
Old 04-23-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
Most of the good small safes have a way that you can bolt them down as well.
This reminds me, one time i was staying at a Hyatt hotel and they had a safe. It happened to be bolted to the bottom of a drawer. I was thinking, you can probably pry the safe off with a screwdriver.
Old 04-23-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
This reminds me, one time i was staying at a Hyatt hotel and they had a safe. It happened to be bolted to the bottom of a drawer. I was thinking, you can probably pry the safe off with a screwdriver.
it's the concept of being a psychological deterrent. sort of like a club for a car. you can defeat those in about 10 seconds with the right knowledge, but the one thing that gets burglars caught is spending too much time. they'd rather spend the time on grabbing things they can get easily and quickly, so they can get out of the house.
Old 04-23-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
it's the concept of being a psychological deterrent. sort of like a club for a car. you can defeat those in about 10 seconds with the right knowledge, but the one thing that gets burglars caught is spending too much time. they'd rather spend the time on grabbing things they can get easily and quickly, so they can get out of the house.
you've got a point, it's a theft deterrent, not a theft stopper.
Old 04-23-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
you've got a point, it's a theft deterrent, not a theft stopper.
Yup, even safes for classified material are only rated to be secure for a certain amount of time (usually the average time it would take to drill through the thing). They simply want to keep the honest people honest and slow down the rest of them in time to catch them.
Old 04-23-09, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Duran View Post
Or buy one twice the size you need and fill half of it with bricks.. or a smaller safe.
Old 04-23-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by OscarBluth View Post
Or buy one twice the size you need and fill half of it with bricks.. or a smaller safe.
The OP said he was looking for "smallish," and that the issue was that those safes have keys instead of combination locks. If he wanted a bigger safe, that wouldn't be an issue.